The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-15-2011, 07:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Im wondering the same thing. Someone needs to make a law to stop giving your children so many darn names. It doesn't make you look important, it just makes your child look ridiculous. It's like the royal equivalent of naming your kid Apple.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-15-2011, 08:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

I can't imagine what name William and Kate could give a baby boy; all the royal names are in use!

Except for John and that is considered unlucky.
But Henry, Charles, William, George, Richard, Edward. are in use.

I thought James would be the best choice, but Edward took that for his own son. I guess it could be used again, but I don't know if that's a good idea.

The only kingly name I can think of that somebody isn't already using is Stephen, but he was considered something of a usurper.

Old 07-16-2011, 04:29 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I can't imagine what name William and Kate could give a baby boy; all the royal names are in use!
Well, there is always Albert And remember thatfd Edward VIII was known as David in the family, so the child doesn't have to be called by his given future regal name.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:45 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
Well, there is always Albert And remember thatfd Edward VIII was known as David in the family, so the child doesn't have to be called by his given future regal name.
There is already a little Albert in the young of the Windsor family, a grand-son of the dukes of Kent.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:59 AM
Aristocracy

Albert is too old fashioned anyway, and as for Stephen, it doesn't go well with Prince IMHO (I can't say it without lisping ) I think it would be a great idea to have one of the King names as a second/third/fourth name, so that it can be used as a regnal name, but it would be so boring to have another Prince George or Prince Richard. What about Prince Benjamin or Prince Martin? I feel the same way about the girl names. The Queen names would be wonderful as second/third/fourth names, but another Princess Victoria or Princess Alexandra would just be I'm hoping for Princess Lydia or Princess Rachel instead
Old 07-16-2011, 07:52 AM
Heir Apparent

I have a feeling that several of these would be frowned upon, but it would be nice if the "names pool" were to be refreshed !
Old 07-16-2011, 06:16 PM
Aristocracy

Why do you think they would be frowned upon? I'm not attacking you, I'm just interested.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

[QUOTE=NotHRH;1274359]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotHRH
'Arthur' is simply a very old-fashioned, dreadful moniker to give a child these days. How many children are named 'Arthur' these days - or how many boys in kindergarten have that particular name?
It would although complement HRH the Earl of Wessex's daughter, HRH Lady Louise Windsor. Very few baby girls are named such any more. She is a very beautiful little girl indeed!

Why does HRH the Lady Louise Windsor have the last name 'Windsor,' instead of 'Mountbatten- Windsor?'
Her full title is Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor, and was used as such for the Royal Wedding Order of Service. I think, for simplicity, Lady Louise Windsor is used.

I think it would be good if the Royal family introduced new names to the lineage, though nothing too "modern".
Old 07-16-2011, 06:43 PM
Courtier

As I recall, there was some discussion (don't ask me who!), that Diana would be an unsuitable name for a Queen, and that should she have become Queen, she would be known as Queen Frances (her middle name).
So perhaps Frances would be one of the choices considered for a girl's name. And for a boy, perhaps something like Peregrine or Bertram - just kidding.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancia View Post
There is already a little Albert in the young of the Windsor family, a grand-son of the dukes of Kent.
Anyway, Albert isn't a kingly name; there has never been a King Albert! The kingly names are: William, Henry, Edward, John, Charles, James, George, Richard, Stephen. I think that's it!
Old 07-16-2011, 09:34 PM
Courtier

Stephen? I don't think that is very kingly I have a brother called that not very regal sounding to me. Richard, George, James, William, Edward and Charles. John is so common and Henry makes me think of King Henry the VIII. I think William and Catherine will stick to tradition but Harry may be a little different.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotHRH View Post
'Arthur' is simply a very old-fashioned, dreadful moniker to give a child these days. How many children are named 'Arthur' these days - or how many boys in kindergarten have that particular name?
It would although complement HRH the Earl of Wessex's daughter, HRH Lady Louise Windsor.

I have a son called Arthur (he is 5 years old)...we love the name and as for how many kids in kindergarten share his name...well, ZERO, just the way we like it! I would hate my kids to be lost in the sea of mediocrity that is 'modern' naming...Using 'unique' names that everyone else has just doesn't wash with me...
Old 07-17-2011, 02:20 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Anyway, Albert isn't a kingly name; there has never been a King Albert! The kingly names are: William, Henry, Edward, John, Charles, James, George, Richard, Stephen. I think that's it!
There are more kingly names than these, for example: Alfred, Edmund, Edgar, Harold, and all those names in house of Wessex.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

Queen Frances, good gawd that is horrible. Who in their right mind would want a Queen Frances.
I agree that Arthur is too much of an old fashioned name to use today, and hopefully any British Royal male who has that name will get over the legend of Camelot and not use it if he becomes king.
Stephan was the name of a king of England, and despite the fact that it is a great name; I don't think King Stephan has a history that people want to be brought up.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-17-2011, 06:01 AM
Courtier

I really don't think the first given name (as part of a royal combo) has to be the 'monarch's' name...look at King George VI, he wasn't born a George, he was known as Bertie (from Albert)...his full name was Albert Frederick Arthur George...So my point is if William and Catherine decide they want to name their daughter Diana or their son Arthur, he/she may not choose to take the throne under that name especially if their full names are something like - Diana Charlotte Alexandra Elizabeth or Queen Elizabeth III; Arthur Charles Henry William or King Charles ? - I guess that is one of the reason royals are given so many name, so they have options...and maybe a name for childhood and a name to rule under....
Old 07-17-2011, 12:22 PM
Majesty

Quote:
There are more kingly names than these, for example: Alfred, Edmund, Edgar, Harold, and all those names in house of Wessex.
Edmund would be a nice change.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:37 PM
Heir Apparent

How about King Edmund the Just ?
Old 07-17-2011, 01:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
But I don't think the RF goes back to the time before William the Conqueror when choosing names. And I think there's only about ten choices and they are all in use...except Stephen and John.

Maybe they could use Henry and call the child Henry instead of Harry?

The Queen should never have let Edward take James; not like his son will ascend the throne, and he could have picked anything.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:06 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNotherThing View Post
I have a son called Arthur (he is 5 years old)...we love the name and as for how many kids in kindergarten share his name...well, ZERO, just the way we like it! I would hate my kids to be lost in the sea of mediocrity that is 'modern' naming...Using 'unique' names that everyone else has just doesn't wash with me...
I thought Arthur was a very common name these days in Europa. It is the eight most given boyish name in France and it is in the top 20 in Swiss and Belgium.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:46 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
But I don't think the RF goes back to the time before William the Conqueror when choosing names. And I think there's only about ten choices and they are all in use...except Stephen and John.
Well, there are a few Scottish kingly names, Robert, David and Alexander.