Who Produced The Most Children?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

betina

Courtier
City
Copenhagen
Country
Denmark
Lets make a thread of who female royal that have produced the highest number of children.
Who is number one? :)

betina said:
Lets make a thread of who female royal that have produced the highest number of children.
Who is number one? :)

Well, in history that must have been Queen Victoria. She had nine children. Don't know if she's the number one though, there are probably some royals who had more children than she did... :)

Didnt queen Anne had more children than 9?

well if we start digging into history there were I'm sure many medieval royal ladies who had very high volumes of children. (not all of whom lived to adulthood).

Eleanor of Aquitaine had 2 kids with Louis VII and 8 with Henry II.

Which I know:

- James II Stuart had 27 with 4 women: 8 - Anne Hyde; 12 - Maria Beatrice d'Este; 4 - Arabella Churchill; 3 - Catherine Sedle.:eek:
- James brother Charles II about 20 with different women.:eek:
- James I Stuart about 9 with Anne von Oldenburg.
- Henry VIII Tudor had many childrens.

- Ferdinand I von Habsburg (1503 - 1564) with Anna Jagiellonka - 15:
Maximilian II (1527 - 1576) with Maria von Habsburg - 16;
Karl II (1540 - 1590) with Maria von Wittelsbach - 15;
Leopold I von Habsburg (1640 - 1705) - 16 with 3 wifes:
first - 4; second - 2; third - 10.
- empress Maria Theresia von Habsburg - 16.
- Leopold II (MT son) with Maria Luisa de Borbon - 16.
- Franz II (LII son) with his 2 from 4 wifes - with Elisabeth von Wurttemberg only 1; with Maria Teresa di Borbone 11.
- Maria-Valerie (Sisi's daughter) with Franz Salvator - 10.
- Maria-Karolina (MT daught.) with Ferdinando I king of Two-Sicile - 18.:eek:

- Carlos III of Spain with wife -13.

- Louis XV with many women - about 24 / with wife Marie Leszczyńska 10.:eek:
- Henri II about 13 - 10 with Catherine de Medici.
- Isabel D'Orleans e Braganca, princes of Brasil (1911 - 2003) with Henri d'Orleans, comte de Paris - 11.

- August III king of Poland and Furst of Sachsen with Maria-Josepha von Habsburg - 15.
- Kazimierz IV Jagiellończyk king of Poland with Elisabeth von Habsburg known as "Mother of the kings" - 13.
His daughter Zofia Jagiellonka with Friedrich V vin Hohenzollern 13 too.

- Peter I Le Grand emperor of Russia all 14 - with 2nd wife - 11.

Well I guess that's why betina asked for female royals with a lot of children. As we all know it's much more easier for men to have so many children as you showed us, magnik. :D But it is pretty impressive though... :p

27 children! Wow! I think I would run away within a day, screaming and yelling !

Maxie said:
Well I guess that's why betina asked for female royals with a lot of children. As we all know it's much more easier for men to have so many children as you showed us, magnik. :D But it is pretty impressive though... :p

I know that betina talk about female but not everyone know all these ladies and that's the reason why I as first gave men. :D

Poor all these women.
Men always has easier than we:mad:

BTW.
Philippa d'Avesnes/better known of Hainault gave to Edward III just 14 children. Only first 12 almost year by year.
Edward's grandpa Edward I with Eleanor of Castilla had 20 children:eek:

Who currently has had the most children? I know Princess Caroline has a lot, but it's nothing compared to those old timers!

Last edited:
I can't remember her name, but the sister of Prince Philippe has quite a bit of children.

Ahh, I remember, Princess Astrid of Belgium. She has 5 children.

Last edited:
I think most impressive is Empress Maria Theresia. She wasn´t just a "breeding machine" related by marriage, but she was also a real regent (who set some important reforms) I´m well aware, that she must have had a legion of nannies and one can argue, that her offspring had its faults (I just say Marie Antoinette and the famous "if they have no bread, then let them eat cake!"-statement :D :rolleyes: ), but its surely a big burden to work as real regent and to be pregnant all the time. That she has survived all births IMO already seems like a little miracle.

I think today we won´t see anymore a Royal family with 10+ children. Most Crown princes(ses) marry quite late and then there´s often not much time left for many children.
Besides they don´t need children anymore to win influence through marriage. And many support the idea of getting really involved in their education. When you get really involved, you either get many children and then you have to drop every demand for perfection over board and you have to support "chaos theory" ;) or you get only a few children.
I think most children (among the mothers younger than 50) have now princess Astrid of Belgium (5), Maria Teresa of Luxembourg (5), Infanta Christina (4) and Princess Caroline (4)
A feeling tells me, that we won´t have more Royal mothers with 4 or 5 children. I think most will stop at 2 or 3. Maybe Mette Marit will get one more, but then it would be only Haakons 3rd child and the "gap" to Marius would be quite big.

Last edited:
George III and Charlotte and Mecklingburg-Sterlitz had 15 children. The book "Princesses" by Flora Fraser is based on his six daughters.

regardez said:
Oh Queen Rania also has four.

True...I had forgotten her :eek: In her case I could also imagine a nr. 5. Or have they said, that they quited with Prince Hashem?

magnik said:
Edward's grandpa Edward I with Eleanor of Castilla had 20 children:eek:

Wow, that's extraordinary!!! :eek:

George III and Queen Charlotte had 15 children.

HM Queen Elizabeth of England raise 4 children
HM Queen Beatrix of Netherland raise 3 children
HM Queen Paola of Beligum raise 3 children
HM Queen Sophia of Spain raise 3 children

HRH CP Princess Mathilde raise 3 children
HRH Princess Claire raise 3 children also by twins in February 2006
HRH Princess Laurenterin raise 3 children but she expect her thrid child on summer 2006

im not sure what another lists on Royals ladies!

King Chulalongkorn(Rama V) of Thailand was a rather active fellow...He had 92 concubines. Of the 77 children:eek: that were produced, 33 were sons and 44 were daughters. Princess Dara Rassamee(his only wife) bore the King one child, a daughter who died tragically at the age of three.

Ewww, that's disgusting. What year did he live in?

regardez said:
Ewww, that's disgusting. What year did he live in?

LOL! I rather call it productive. What on earth was he thinking? A baby a day keeps the doctor away? :rolleyes:

He lived from 1853-1910.

Maxie said:
LOL! I rather call it productive. What on earth was he thinking? A baby a day keeps the doctor away? :rolleyes:

It was for strategic purposes. The concubines came from the best families(and the biggest landowners and other important people in Thailand) and so on. These children later became the new generation of Thai nobility. His wife, for example, was daughter of the king of Lanna(It includes Thailand's second largest city, Chiang Mai) which was formally annexed into Siam in 1893 or 9 years after her official installment in Bangkok. They were bethrothed when she was 11 and she became his consort at 13. He was 33. :eek:

Dennism said:
It was for strategic purposes. The concubines came from the best families(and the biggest landowners and other important people in Thailand) and so on. These children later became the new generation of Thai nobility. His wife, for example, was daughter of the king of Lanna(It includes Thailand's second largest city, Chiang Mai) which was formally annexed into Siam in 1893 or 9 years after her official installment in Bangkok. They were bethrothed when she was 11 and she became his consort at 13. He was 33. :eek:

Thanks for explaining his productivity, Dennism. It's very interesting to see how it worked in those days. Though I find it quite bizarre when you get to think of it. So many children! And that age difference! :eek:

magnik said:
Henry VIII Tudor had many childrens

No, he didn't, unles you count the children that died at childbirth. That was actually the "tragedy of his life", not having children (well, sons). He did have many wives though.
1. Catherine of Aragon. He and Catherine had 6 children but only 2 of them, a Prince, called Henry (I may be mistaken about his name) and Princess Mary (Mary I)survived and only Mary reached her adult years (the Prince died when he was 2 months).
2. Anne Boleyn was pregnant 3 times (one miscarriage and one stillbirth). They had one daughter (Elizabeth I).
3. Jane Saumour who gave birth to his only legitimate son, Edward.
4. Anne of Cleves - no children
5. Catherine Howard - no children
6. Catherine Parr - nochildren
He also had 2 illigitimate children, a daughter and a sone called Fitsroy (future Duke of Richmond).

Lena said:
I think most impressive is Empress Maria Theresia. She wasn´t just a "breeding machine" related by marriage, but she was also a real regent (who set some important reforms) I´m well aware, that she must have had a legion of nannies and one can argue, that her offspring had its faults (I just say Marie Antoinette and the famous "if they have no bread, then let them eat cake!"-statement :D :rolleyes: ), but its surely a big burden to work as real regent and to be pregnant all the time. That she has survived all births IMO already seems like a little miracle.

Yes, and relatively many of her kids survived their infant years. That is another miracle, given the age. Some of them died of the smallpox, though. One of the girls, I think Maria Carolina, became a substitute bride when the original girl intended for the marriage died of smallpox.

1. Princess Marie-Astrid of Luxemburgh and Archduke Carl Christian of Austria have 5 children
  2. Grand Duke Henry of Luxemburgh and Marie Theresa have 5 children
  3. Prince Jean of Luxemburgh and Helen have 4 children
  4. Prince Guillaume of Luxemburgh and Sibilla have 4 children
  5. Reigning Prince Hans-Adam II of Liechtenstein of Countess Marie Kalnoky have 4 children
  6. Hereditary Prince Alois of Liechtenstein and Duchess Sohie of Bavaria has 4 children
  7. Princess Tatjana of Liechtenstein and Philipp von Lattorff have for children (the last, Camilla Maria was born in 2005)

Robert of Bourbon-Parma (1848-1907) His first wife Maria Pia of Sicily had 12 children and his second wife Maria Antonia of Portugal had 12 children

Avalon said:
No, he didn't, unles you count the children that died at childbirth. That was actually the "tragedy of his life", not having children (well, sons). He did have many wives though.
(future Duke of Richmond).

That's right. But it depend of reference of informations.:D

I red that not having childrens was/is known as "Tudors misfortune/curse".

Avalon said:
2. Anne Boleyn was pregnant 3 times (one miscarriage and one stillbirth). They had one daughter (Elizabeth I).
).

you mean she was pregnant 2 times, right?

- Isabel, comtess de Paris (nee D'Orleans e Braganca, princes of Brasil, 1911 - 2003) with Henri d'Orleans, comte de Paris - 11 children:
1) Isabelle - 5
2) Henri comte de Paris - 5
3) Helene - 4
4) Francois
5) Anne - 5
6) Diane - 6
7) Michel - 4
8) Jacques - 3
9) Claude -3
10) Jeanne de Chantal - 3
11) Thibaut - 2

Maria II queen of Portugal with Ferdinando 11.
Her daughter Maria Ana with Georg king of Sachsen - 8.

Isabel II queen of Spain had 11.
Carlos IV king of Spain with Maria Luisa di Borbone had 14.
Their daughters: Charlota Joaquina - 8 with Joao VI king of Portugal;
Maria Isabel had than 12 with Francesco I kind of Two-Sicile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom