The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-07-2005, 12:58 AM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie
LOL! I rather call it productive. What on earth was he thinking? A baby a day keeps the doctor away?
It was for strategic purposes. The concubines came from the best families(and the biggest landowners and other important people in Thailand) and so on. These children later became the new generation of Thai nobility. His wife, for example, was daughter of the king of Lanna(It includes Thailand's second largest city, Chiang Mai) which was formally annexed into Siam in 1893 or 9 years after her official installment in Bangkok. They were bethrothed when she was 11 and she became his consort at 13. He was 33.

Old 12-07-2005, 01:09 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennism
It was for strategic purposes. The concubines came from the best families(and the biggest landowners and other important people in Thailand) and so on. These children later became the new generation of Thai nobility. His wife, for example, was daughter of the king of Lanna(It includes Thailand's second largest city, Chiang Mai) which was formally annexed into Siam in 1893 or 9 years after her official installment in Bangkok. They were bethrothed when she was 11 and she became his consort at 13. He was 33.
Thanks for explaining his productivity, Dennism. It's very interesting to see how it worked in those days. Though I find it quite bizarre when you get to think of it. So many children! And that age difference! :o

Old 12-07-2005, 04:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik
Henry VIII Tudor had many childrens
No, he didn't, unles you count the children that died at childbirth. That was actually the "tragedy of his life", not having children (well, sons). He did have many wives though.
1. Catherine of Aragon. He and Catherine had 6 children but only 2 of them, a Prince, called Henry (I may be mistaken about his name) and Princess Mary (Mary I)survived and only Mary reached her adult years (the Prince died when he was 2 months).
2. Anne Boleyn was pregnant 3 times (one miscarriage and one stillbirth). They had one daughter (Elizabeth I).
3. Jane Saumour who gave birth to his only legitimate son, Edward.
4. Anne of Cleves - no children
5. Catherine Howard - no children
6. Catherine Parr - nochildren
He also had 2 illigitimate children, a daughter and a sone called Fitsroy (future Duke of Richmond).
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 12-07-2005, 04:58 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
I think most impressive is Empress Maria Theresia. She wasn´t just a "breeding machine" related by marriage, but she was also a real regent (who set some important reforms) I´m well aware, that she must have had a legion of nannies and one can argue, that her offspring had its faults (I just say Marie Antoinette and the famous "if they have no bread, then let them eat cake!"-statement ), but its surely a big burden to work as real regent and to be pregnant all the time. That she has survived all births IMO already seems like a little miracle.
Yes, and relatively many of her kids survived their infant years. That is another miracle, given the age. Some of them died of the smallpox, though. One of the girls, I think Maria Carolina, became a substitute bride when the original girl intended for the marriage died of smallpox.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:59 AM
Heir Apparent

1. Princess Marie-Astrid of Luxemburgh and Archduke Carl Christian of Austria have 5 children
  2. Grand Duke Henry of Luxemburgh and Marie Theresa have 5 children
  3. Prince Jean of Luxemburgh and Helen have 4 children
  4. Prince Guillaume of Luxemburgh and Sibilla have 4 children
  5. Reigning Prince Hans-Adam II of Liechtenstein of Countess Marie Kalnoky have 4 children
  6. Hereditary Prince Alois of Liechtenstein and Duchess Sohie of Bavaria has 4 children
  7. Princess Tatjana of Liechtenstein and Philipp von Lattorff have for children (the last, Camilla Maria was born in 2005)
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 12-07-2005, 05:02 AM
Courtier

Robert of Bourbon-Parma (1848-1907) His first wife Maria Pia of Sicily had 12 children and his second wife Maria Antonia of Portugal had 12 children
Old 12-07-2005, 10:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
No, he didn't, unles you count the children that died at childbirth. That was actually the "tragedy of his life", not having children (well, sons). He did have many wives though.
(future Duke of Richmond).

That's right. But it depend of reference of informations.

I red that not having childrens was/is known as "Tudors misfortune/curse".
Old 12-07-2005, 10:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
2. Anne Boleyn was pregnant 3 times (one miscarriage and one stillbirth). They had one daughter (Elizabeth I).
).
you mean she was pregnant 2 times, right?
Old 12-07-2005, 10:28 AM
Heir Apparent

- Isabel, comtess de Paris (nee D'Orleans e Braganca, princes of Brasil, 1911 - 2003) with Henri d'Orleans, comte de Paris - 11 children:
1) Isabelle - 5
2) Henri comte de Paris - 5
3) Helene - 4
4) Francois
5) Anne - 5
6) Diane - 6
7) Michel - 4
8) Jacques - 3
9) Claude -3
10) Jeanne de Chantal - 3
11) Thibaut - 2
Old 12-07-2005, 10:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Maria II queen of Portugal with Ferdinando 11.
Her daughter Maria Ana with Georg king of Sachsen - 8.

Isabel II queen of Spain had 11.
Carlos IV king of Spain with Maria Luisa di Borbone had 14.
Their daughters: Charlota Joaquina - 8 with Joao VI king of Portugal;
Maria Isabel had than 12 with Francesco I kind of Two-Sicile
Old 12-07-2005, 12:24 PM
Aristocracy

You forget Queen Elizabeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyemma
you mean she was pregnant 2 times, right?
there were 3 pregancies, from which one only "succeeded"
Old 12-07-2005, 12:28 PM
Majesty

if we talk about the royals of today i can come up with these

Princess Astrid & Prince Lorenz 5 children
Amedeo
Maria Laura
Joachim
Luisa Maria
Laetitia Maria

Grand Duke Henri & grand duchess Maria Teresa 5 children
Guillaume
Félix
Louis
Alexandra
Sebastien

does the greek family count

King Constantine & Queen Anne Marie 5 children
Alexia(
Pavlos
Nikolaos
Theodora
Philippos
Old 12-07-2005, 01:07 PM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie
Thanks for explaining his productivity, Dennism. It's very interesting to see how it worked in those days. Though I find it quite bizarre when you get to think of it. So many children! And that age difference! :o
You're welcome. Since it appears to be a marriage of strategy, I wonder why they didn't at least have more children. I guess she was too upset after the death of her only child. She was quite popular and did a lot for the country and she helped to raise his other children. But I'm sure there was love between them. She was his favorite.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by elenaris
there were 3 pregancies, from which one only "succeeded"
really! i'd never heard there were 3.

there was Elizabeth,there was the boy who still born, and then...a miscarriage?

at what point did pregnancy #3 take place?
Old 12-07-2005, 01:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyemma
really! i'd never heard there were 3.

there was Elizabeth,there was the boy who still born, and then...a miscarriage?

at what point did pregnancy #3 take place?

Here talks about 3 pregnancies 1533, 1534, 1536
http://geneweb.inria.fr/roglo?lang=pl;i=74843

And here that she could be pregnant but miscarriage in 1532 and three other
http://englishhistory.net/tudor/monarchs/boleyn.html

From this site:
"It is believed that her elevation to the peerage marked the physical consummation of Anne and Henry's relationship. She would give birth to Elizabeth just a year later, and there were rumors of a secret marriage in late 1532. It is possible that she became pregnant after just a few months and a second, legitimate wedding became a necessity.
She entered confinement for the birth of her first child on 26 August 1533. The child was born on 7 September 1533. The physicians and astrologers had been mistaken; it was not a prince. But the healthy baby girl called Elizabeth was not the disappointment most assumed[...]
At any rate, she was definitely pregnant again in April 1534. [...]His extra attention to Anne did not help her health. In September 1534, she miscarried a six-month-old fetus; it was old enough for features to be discerned - it was a boy.[...]
But Anne had one last chance, and in June 1535, became pregnant again. She lost that child as well, in January 1536; she was reported to have said, 'I have miscarried of my savior.' [...]"

Greets:)
Old 12-07-2005, 02:53 PM

I am still waiting for the answer who is the present day number one Royal Female?
Old 12-07-2005, 04:10 PM
Heir Apparent

I vote for Eleanor de Castilla wife of Edward I - 20 children. After her Maria Karolina wife of Ferdinand I king of Two Sicile - 18.

Present maybe it was Isabelle countes of Paris(1911-2003) - 11? After her maybe her daughter Diane herzogin von Wurttemberg - 6?
Old 12-14-2005, 02:53 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Unicorn
I am still waiting for the answer who is the present day number one Royal Female?
this is what i came up with - is there any precent female royal that have 6 children

if we talk about the royals of today i can come up with these

Princess Astrid & Prince Lorenz 5 children
Amedeo
Maria Laura
Joachim
Luisa Maria
Laetitia Maria

Grand Duke Henri & grand duchess Maria Teresa 5 children
Guillaume
Félix
Louis
Alexandra
Sebastien

does the greek family count

King Constantine & Queen Anne Marie 5 children
Alexia(
Pavlos
Nikolaos
Theodora
Philippos
Old 12-14-2005, 04:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

how many children did King Hussein of Jordan have?

I can name:
Abdullah
Haya
Ali
Hamzeh
Iman
Raiyah

that's 5. I'm sure there are more...
Old 12-14-2005, 04:35 PM
Heir Apparent

All children:
with Dina bint Abdelhamid - Alia
with Antoinette Gardner/ Muna - Abdullah, Feisal, Zein, Aisha
with Alia Toukan - Haya, Ali (and adopted Abeer)
with Lisa Halaby/ Noor - Hamzah, Hashim, Iman, Raiyah

11 children and one adopted