Reactions To Your Interest In Royalty

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I grew up in a family full of monarchists. The day, Dec 13, 1967, the GRF left Greece, my mother told me.........."Good thing your father is dead, or he'd die today." That ought to explain my fascination with them.
However all I get now is eyes rolling, politely changing the conversation and amazement at the mags and books I have collected......perhaps mixed in with pity (for me) from those who cannot understand why I care about......."them" lol

Obviously I am interested in royalty - especially the DRF. I am a Dane. Most Danes are not interested in a degree that makes them join a forum like this. But I am sure all Danes relate to the DRF somehow and that they will be talking about the royals "on and of" - even if they are among the very few who are against the monarcy. I am talking to lots of people about the DRF and nobody, so far, have found this to be strange. Actually I very seldom bring up the subject. Somebody else does and then I have the opportunity to add my comments to the conversation.
This is pretty much also what people here in Sweden feel about our Swedish royal house. Few of us want to abolish the monarchy, but still, most Swedes aren't that interested either, even though king Carl Gustaf, queen Silvia and their children are very famous.

Well, they know that I like royalty, but I think that they believe I´m not so "fanatic":whistling:
But I think it isn´t a very strange thingh...

I became interested in royals through learning about history. Most of the people where I am from ( south Louisiana) think that the BRF is the only royal family left in the world. Everytime I mention royals most people just jump to another topic.:nonono: Oh well, I think that's just because they don't know anything about royals. :whistling:

As I a child I was not interested in royalty until 5 years ago.When I saw a documentary on the tiny little Principality of Monaco I become hooked.My late grandfather tolerated me talking about royalty but my older brother does not like nor
cares for royalty.I try not to bring it up most people I talk to know little or none about this topic.
And they heard of the British royal family or Monaco princely family maybe Jordan because Queen Noor is American.

My late grandfather tolerated me talking about royalty but my older brother
does not like nor cares for royalty.I try not to bring it up most people I talk to
know little or none about this topic and they only heard of the British royal
family or Moncao princely family and maybe Jordan because Queen Noor is
American.

I know what you mean. My dad tolerates it, although he asked me the other day why I always talk about Prince Albert.

None of my friends know anything about royalty, maybe only that England has a Queen, and that's a lot.
The only thing they care about is creating drama on myspace and Typing lYk DiS!1!1! Sometimes I feel like I'm the weird one.
Sure they're all high schoolers, but I rather learn about royals on here than wasting my time talking about who said what.

I seem to have friends who are interested in history and current events, and so they see my interest in Royals are valid. My husband had some books about Royalty in his collection before he ever met me, and so it's something that we have in common to a degree. I usually don't talk about my interest much except with friends who share the interest with me, although sometimes I'm asked by others about what I think about certain things because they know that I'm bound to have an opinion if Royals are involved. :)

I have always been interested in British royalty--its history, the legacies of each generation, and in particular the jewels. I have a nice sized collection of books on various royal topics, which my husband tolerates but in all truth considers a bit of a waste. He did try to hunt down a copy of The Royal Jewels by Suzy Menkes for me but was not able to find one.
Most people who know me know of my intense love of estate and antique jewelry, so they are not really surprised when I say I'm looking for a brooch that is similar to one QEII wears, or that I want a pearl strand with a clasp like Camilla's, etc... because I enjoy the jewels (and the wearers just allow me that extra eye candy!). However, people who don't get it think I'm a silly loon. Whatever. I say everyone needs an indulgent hobby--royalty is mine!

im the only one in my city , and my family who love the royals . i think started fascinated when i was thirteen , but i was and i steel a crazy one in the eye of my family and my friends because my hobby is the royals history and cuurent events !
but know because im older , i dont share my experience with friends , ( just 2 intime friends , but lessend to my opinion but they always consider me a crazy one ).
but my family accepte this idea know , my aunt in netherlands help me ,and she collecte for me magazines , souvenirs , books , about maxima and the all the DRF .
im not just intersting to the royals im a collecter of photos , books , magazines , and sovenirs of the royals , im too crazy by antique jewelry!
I'm always looking for a brooch that is similar to one QEII s, or maxima's pearls or matild's earings !
also i send always letters for all the royals in every occasion , birthday , christmas , born, .... and i have many replys from all the royal houses !
i enjoy what i do and i wll do it throught my life :)

my family thinks im crazy and i must get over it...

my colleagues keep making fun of me..saying maybe im a royal who got mixed up in hospital...

I was lucky to be born in a very monarchist family. My parents both always had Paris Match and Point de Vue around and from early on, I was interested. Nowadays, my children don´t think at all strange that I love royalty. They respect my taste and even enjoy seeing or hearing stuff about them.

I have been interested in royalty and the BRF in particular since I was a child. The advent of the Internet provided a way to interact globally with others of like mind. Most of my family, needless to say, wonder if all my dogs are barking but but I am generally considered harmless. :whistling:

My collegues think I'm a whack job, but then I ask them what happened on 'Coronation Street' last night/week and they retreat muttering dire warnings. :ROFLMAO:

Everybody is laughing at me but I don't care, I've always been interested in Royal families especially royal history:flowers:

I always tell a friend bits and she always says "And this is important because ...?" And the odd thing is, her late husband was also a royals fanatic.

I could never name a cat or a child Diana, people would assume it's my fascination with her that overwhelmed me. I had thought Spencer might fly under their radar, however!

same here... they think i'm going too obsessed.. but, i'm not. i just need some hobby, and well, royals are... haha...

cope with questions? from who? i never let anyone know (hahaa... my secret..), only my family know & they've accepted it.

So do I.

I'm totally in love about Mary and Frederik. My family simply don't understand it.

I never let anyone know.

I am really curious person.:rolleyes:I want to know everything.I love searching.
Because of I am curious person,I wondered royalty.

I could never name a cat or a child Diana, people would assume it's my fascination with her that overwhelmed me. I had thought Spencer might fly under their radar, however!

Oh, Iowabelle that is TOO funny. I completely agree, certain names are off limits in some ways for us. Now, most people know of my interest in the jewels and various families, but inevitably when the topic comes up all anyone wants to discuss is Diana, Charles, and Camilla. They've formed these opinions with no background info, but front page splashes on the National Enquirer. It's really annoying. I was telling someone about how Sophie's wedding tiara was made from elements of Queen Victoria's regal circlet and they wanted to know who Sophie was. I explained that was Edward's wife and they weren't sure how Edward was! Can you imagine? I'm sure if I started discussing Maxima or Mary or Mathilde or Letizia or Mette-Marit they would have been completely lost.
I will say that about two years ago hubby and I thought we were going to become parents again--and I decided that we would call the child, if it was a girl that I had always liked the name Camilla, and my husband said no chance, that we weren't feeding my hobby to that extent. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: No matter, it ended up we weren't pregnant after all. But, goes to show, one must be careful.

Oh, Iowabelle that is TOO funny. I completely agree, certain names are off limits in some ways for us. Now, most people know of my interest in the jewels and various families, but inevitably when the topic comes up all anyone wants to discuss is Diana, Charles, and Camilla. They've formed these opinions with no background info, but front page splashes on the National Enquirer. It's really annoying. I was telling someone about how Sophie's wedding tiara was made from elements of Queen Victoria's regal circlet and they wanted to know who Sophie was. I explained that was Edward's wife and they weren't sure how Edward was! Can you imagine? I'm sure if I started discussing Maxima or Mary or Mathilde or Letizia or Mette-Marit they would have been completely lost.
I will say that about two years ago hubby and I thought we were going to become parents again--and I decided that we would call the child, if it was a girl that I had always liked the name Camilla, and my husband said no chance, that we weren't feeding my hobby to that extent. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: No matter, it ended up we weren't pregnant after all. But, goes to show, one must be careful.
the same story happened to me :ROFLMAO:, when i talk with my friends about an issue , they ask me about advices , i always give them exampeles from the royal family , i told them like the princess .... she ....ect they told me who is that ...?
know my mother and brothers accepted the idéa of myfascination and my mother discuse with me the events and she adore Catarina -Amalia she always ask me about her new picture , (but also some time when i speak a lot about them she told me you are crazy :whistling:).

It was in 1995, when I saw by pure chance the wedding of P. Helena and Jaime de Marichalar, that "I fell in love with Royalties". And up till now I am a passionate admirer. But, alas, nobody of my family, friends, acquaintances does share this interest with me, even not my hairdresser. They are looking with wide-open eyes and half-open mouth at me, as if I came from another star, if once in a while I dare begin a sentence with "what do you think of Prince.....................................................:mellow:

:rolleyes: Tilla,I know exactly that feeling,believe me.The funny thing about me is that I'm not the most patient person that would explain or talk about the reasons I like this or that.....So,believe it or not,I haven't told anyone yet that I joined this forum...and it's been about 6 months!! :cool:

Only my parents know that I have a blog. I could never let me sisters know or else they'll think I've lost my mind.

At work, I try to keep my fascination with royalty a secret, but I got so many nosy co-workers who peek at my computer. When they see that I am updating my blog or checking out here or any other website, they literally get disgusted.

The way I see it, its the same thing as being obsessed with Angeling Jolie, Jennifer Aniston and so on. Some people can't go a day without finding out the latest dirt on celebrities. I mean, royalty is my celebrity fascination, that's how I see it. Only, there's history and world events tied to it.

Sonjapearl,you expressed exactly my thoughts.That's the way I see them as well.But,I would never have the patience to explain it to someone.After all,I'm sure she/he wouldn't believe me and sooner or later she/he would start gossiping about me....first of all that suddenly I became a monarchist (I can even imagine the scene...) ;) :lol:

Well, My family thinks that I'm totally nuts:sick::shock:, jejejeje, but I don't care, I love this to have fun.:lol:

Although my mother knew some things about British and Spanish Royal Family, She watched C&D wedding, on the day Princes of Asturias got married my parents got up really early to watch it, because here in my country it was a big fuss about this event. But that't it.:ROFLMAO:

They told me that I should do something more important with my free time.:bangin:

I remember surprising my English class with my knowledge of the English Royals, inclduing my teacher! She apparently knew a bit about them too (well, her speciality is Brit Lit), and complimented me on it. The question was "What are the names of the Duke and Duchess of York's daughters?" which was easy and I quickly blurted out "Beatrice and Eugenie!" A few of my classmates asked how did I possibly know that, and I just replied "I'm a nerd..."

Then my teacher asked me, "Oh, wait, do you remember the name of the Duke of York? I always forget his name..." and I answered, "Prince Andrew!" Her reply to that was, "Oh yes...he was always such a cutie." Hehe.

Everytime I talk about any royal family to my family or friends, they doesn't want to hear me talking about them. Now, I am trying not to talk too much about the royals. I've always been a huge fan of royalty. Nobody I know are interested in royalty. I seem to be the only one in my family who is very interested in royalty.:nonono:

My mom is interested in royalty too,and in general people around me too,so I have no problems:flowers:

I'm the first in my family, who is so interested in royalty and it gives me so much good mood and energy.

Back
Top Bottom