Reactions To Your Interest In Royalty

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You'd have to try very hard to find someone else in Armenia, who's interested in the Royals at all. Most people here think that Monarchy exists only in the UK. Few have heard about the Dutch Monarchy. But when you say there are actually quite a few Monarchies, they are completely shocked. For most, Monarchy is something that doesn't have connection with the modern world.

I've no problems when people show ingorance about the Royals. If they are interested, I can tell them what I know, if not, let's talk about something else.
But I hate when they start talking about ridiculous and unfounded rumours as of facts. And I'm talking not only about the British Royals. it's hard for me to control myself when I hear all those ridiculous stuff again and again.

I don't talk about it too much. Many Australians are republicans (small r intentional) and see royalty as an antiquated and unnecessary thing. I will occasionally correct points of information but on the whole, it's my little devotion. I even minimise when my husband walks into the office to avoid the sniggers!!

I normally point out the facts and give a checkable reason why it is rubbish.... on the whole it depends on the other persons attitude, some people do not want to listen to facts, they want to live in cloud cuckoo land in total ignorance. :wacko:

The majority of my friends and associates have the same opinion of various past and present royals.

LadyK said:
I'll be honest- as an American, it is harder to find others who are as interested in royals as I am (other than here!). Particularly those who are interested in royals other than the British royals and the Monaco royals (who I'm not very into).

I try to respect the people I'm talking to, and if they don't like the royals, then I try to talk about mutual interests, and if I happen to bring royalty into it, then all the better! For example, I can talk about history and architecture with some of my friends by discussing royal residences (I even did a case study about an old Spanish palace!) And almost all women are willing to hear about or look at royal jewels!!!

the same almost goes here. the only place where i've encountered other Filipinos interested in royalty is here at TRF, and the folks here in my country are rather uninterested in royalty. i find it even funny that most are more interested in the British RF than Spanish RF, who have been our former colonizers. the only time they take some interest is when a royal does some visit here, and half of the time they get their facts wrong (most recent case was calling Andrea Casiraghi Prince Andrea).

whenever other people see me watching or reading stuff about royalty and they ask what's that or who's that, i just answer in a straightforward way and try to relate them to something that interests them. and then i get a "Oh, okay..." reaction. so much for explaining. :lol:

Some of my friends are very surprised that European countries they've heard of (Belgium, Sweden, etc) besides the UK and Monaco still have monarchies. The American press doesn't cover them a lot, so a lot of Americans think they don't exist.

Sometimes I just correct common mistakes (e.g. calling Diana, Princess of Wales as "Princess Diana"; kings and queens are "majesties" and princess and princesses "highnesses").

Most of the time, my friends think that royal families are relics of the past, a burden on tax payer money who do nothing and contribute nothing to society. Not saying all monarchies are great nor that every country should have one, but I point out the hidden benefits of having a royal family that no one sees (tourism, non-partisan leadership, national unity, etc). There are a lot of preconceieved notions about monarchies in the US (w/ its purely republican, anti-monarchy history), and I like to show another perspective.

I enjoyed reading all of your stories and perspectives on the subject.
I generally find that even when I try to explain the mistaken impressions and then move on, people don't really hear what I am saying and continue in their mistaken impressions. That is one reason it is so frustrating and why I was hoping to find a better way to deal with it on here. :rolleyes:

I live in a city where most people think that the Monarchy is something anachronic. They don't really care about them, people in Catalonia only get worried about the cost of the Monarchy.
When someone says something about Royalty, as a rule, I do not take any notice, I think is the best I can do.

Saturn said:
I live in a city where most people think that the Monarchy is something anachronic. They don't really care about them, people in Catalonia only get worried about the cost of the Monarchy.
When someone says something about Royalty, as a rule, I do not take any notice, I think is the best I can do.

Interesting, I spent 4 days in Barcelona last September and I had this feeling, that Monarchy is "non existent".

Very nice city you live.

Sorry,all this is out of topic

Saturn said:

The Catalonians and the Flemings have the same attitude. They want as much as possible independency for Catalonia or Flanders, from the centralistic state. And who is symbolizing that central state?

Right.... the King....

No wonder there is not that much deep love for the monarchy in Catalonia or Flanders.

:flowers:

In general, Catalonians never liked Monarchy, and there some years ago, the Republican Movement was quite important. I do not know how things are nowadays...but you gave me an insight to it, Saturn!

Yes...Sometimes it gets annoying to explain certain people that we are nor archaic people with grandeur delires! :ROFLMAO:

Vanesa.

Actually quite a few of my non-royalty minded friends have seen the movie 'The Queen' and asked me about it.

Its a great opportunity to share one's interest with people not otherwise interested in royalty.

Well, here in Sweden, we're at least aware of the fact, that not only UK and Monaco still have monarchies. But of course, we're most focused on our own royal family: King Carl Gustaf, Queen Silvia, Princess Victoria, Prince Carl Philip and Princess Madeleine. I don't know if too many people are really interested in them, but at least, they know who they are, and that there are other monarchies around us (Norway, Denmark, Netherlands etc).

My brother has always felt, that we should get rid of the monarchy. He would prefer a president to a king or queen and has often expressed the obsoleteness and uselessness of our royal family. And once recently, when they talked about the Japanese imperial family on the news on the radio, he said, that all royal families all over the world are obsolete and useless, not just our Swedish one. I think that's harsh. I think constitutional monarchies are perfectly acceptable even in the 21rst century. They're a part of history and tradition, and I don't even think, that an elected president would be cheaper for the tax payers.

Furienna said:
and I don't even think, that an elected president would be cheaper for the tax payers.

I agree. Only compare Great Britain and the United States to see it plainly.
Congress pays forthe White House, Camp David (presidential holiday retreat since Eisenhower, named for his grandson or nephew or something) and the helicopter and plane. In Britain, the residences are not funded by tax money or parliament because in fact the Crown Estate maintains them,and the Crown Estate has ongoing profitable income. I can't know for certain, but I would bet that if someone compiled the figures, the US presidency consumes more tax dollars than the British monarchy. It's seems like a logical hypothesis, perhaps worthy of further analysis. :rolleyes:

I'm a little tired that some people around me -well, I should be honest and said MOST people around me :lol: -thinks that Monarchy is useless. They never analyzed that generally, presedents of our Republican countries consume more tax money than any Monarchy in the world. In the case of Argentinian Republic it IS the case. And be sure that our presidents live as if they were "Pachas"!

For me, Monarchy is the better form of governement. Anyone who wants study this objectively, without passion, is able to conclude it.

However, most of people has the mistaken image of frivolity and luxury about Monarchy...But they believes that Republics are austhere...Hmmm. I highly deny it. Frivolity and austherity doesn't depend on Monarchy or Republic, but in the honestity of people who is in the governement and its tendences or not to the corruption, the flu of our times.

Vanesa.

my friends don't know how interested i am in the royal family. its not that im ashamed to tell them, but that they aren't interested in anything besides the lastest gossip in the school (who got who pregnant, who's "going out" with who, etc.) so i just mostly play along with that, which is fine with me.

my parents, however, know how obsessed i am with royals, and although they think its a little weird and not the most common hobby, they know that it's what makes me special. they're also glad i HAVE a hobby, because i could be doing a lot worse stuff, like drugs or something. i also get them a little interested in it. my mom thinks Prince Christian of Denmark is the cutest baby (besides me, of course!;) ), and my dad and i playfully enjoy making fun of (not harshly- we love the British Royal Family!) the stuffiness and formallity of the British Royals (especially the Queen, Prince Phillip, and Charles).

But i think my friends may think its really weird, just like they do Orlando Bloom (my non-royal favorite). i guess altogether its best i don't tell them, even though they know im quirky enough as it is!:lol:

but on a serious note, i don't think that people should be made fun of or anything just because they like royals. its a hobby, just like cabinet-making or stamp-collecting or playing sports. it's a thing they like to do, and they should be left to enjoy doing it, and helping others understand the meaning of royalty, and how it really can be useful, even if they don't govern.

Apart from my mother, grandmother and you fine people, my interest in royalty is 'non existant' to the rest :)

Not because I'm ashamed of it, but because it's no ones business I guess.

Last edited:
I have to say up until a few years ago, when E! Entertainment (I think it was E! or A&E) did that biography on young royals (mainly GB and Sweden that I can actually recall), I wasn't aware that not all European countries still had their monarchies. I knew how it was in the past, but was very glad to hear that the tradition and all was still alive. Of course it doesn't hurt to have a younger sister who loves all thinsg royal as well :) I just called her the other day to catch up on things (since I'm away at school) and talked about Princess Maxima giving birth and all. Its nice to have a wonderful place like here or my sister to talk to so I can indulge my interest!

And pretty much just like all my fellow Americans here, you are very hard press to find anyone to share your interest. None of my friends could care at all, and I ususally like to share random facts about history with them when appropriate so I am use to it all falling on deaf ears. It is annoying when people can't see outside of their own country, but I usually don't let it bother me since I tend to be curious about things others might consider "weird". Like LadyK said, I'm interested in not only the royals and the history, but the culture and countries. I even did my Access database project on collecting information on various royal houses and its members. My teacher thought it was very interesting! And like some of you have said, most people I know are only aware of GB and Monaco, but I favor Sweden, the Netherlands, Norway, and Luxembourg (though I like them all). My best friend and I growing up followed the GB a bit, especially since Princess Diana died the day before my birthday (technically it was my birthday U.S. time) so we wanted to learn more. My sister and I even had our mom wake us up for the funeral, and I think it was like 5 in the morning here. And of course being from Philadelphia, we take pride in our Princess Grace! We share the same last name, and I am always tempted to say yes we are related everytime I am asked (but we definetely are not :sad:). But that just proves that most people I know just are unaware of any other royals.

Generally, as long I can find info and share my interest/knowledge with anyone, especially here, then I am content with that. I never shy away from a chance to enlighten my friends every now and then, but I do that with most things. Makes me very usual for when we play Trivial Prusuit! Okay, I should stop rambling now :flowers:

We've all definetly come to the right place to share our interest. Here, here! I don't think I'll ever get tired of learning about the world of monarchs.
MM

Funny anecdote- I was talking to someone, and trying to think of what was new, and mentioned the birth of Ariane. Her reply? "You'd better get your tiara ready so you can go and visit!"

If only....

Vanesa said:
I'm a little tired that some people around me -well, I should be honest and said MOST people around me :lol: -thinks that Monarchy is useless. They never analyzed that generally, presedents of our Republican countries consume more tax money than any Monarchy in the world. In the case of Argentinian Republic it IS the case. And be sure that our presidents live as if they were "Pachas"!

For me, Monarchy is the better form of governement. Anyone who wants study this objectively, without passion, is able to conclude it.

However, most of people has the mistaken image of frivolity and luxury about Monarchy...But they believes that Republics are austhere...Hmmm. I highly deny it. Frivolity and austherity doesn't depend on Monarchy or Republic, but in the honestity of people who is in the governement and its tendences or not to the corruption, the flu of our times.

Vanesa.

You are right. What you say goes beyond Argentina because I see the same in the United States. My god, look at the US Senators! :ohmy: But at the same time, any political system or party that holds the reigns of power will be seen as the most expensive and extravagant. When monarchy was the Reign in France, Louis XIV was made a laughingstock of excess. So I think history shows that whatever and whomever holds the power cards, is the person that lives the "best" of lives, whether monarchial or republican.

Amen! You are more than right! :)

Vanesa.

The beauty of a constitutional monarchy is that it is above politics. The Monarch acts as a focal point regardless of which political party is in power. The Monarch is also usually there for a longer period than any politician, and can build up a lot of knowledge and contacts. There is also the family aspect, usually with family members of all ages, which the population can relate to.

The problem I usually find with republics is that either the Head of State and the Head of Goverment is the same person (as in the US), which can lead to loyalty or emotional problems if the person is from a politacal party you dislike. Or, like in Germany or Ireland, the President is a minor figurehead, well in the shadow of the Head of Government. Both these systems also cost money to the tax payer every bit as much as a monarchy - but with little of the glamour and romance.

As I often point out to my friends who lean towards a republic, just think who we might end up with as President - Mrs Thatcher, Ken Livingstone, etc., etc. (people who polarize political opinion). That usually shuts them up and decide that the Queen is probably a better bet.

I do, of course, get a little annoyed when people refer to Prince William as the Heir to the Throne (Prince Charles is) or the Queen as Her Royal Highness (she is Her Majesty - but this is usually done by non-British people) and other mistakes. But it is the repeating of silly tabloid journalist stories about members of the Royal Family that really upset me. It is an uphill fight to correct these gossiping stories, which undoubtedly distort any small truthful fact. In fact, like some of you, I just give up and keep quiet. But is that rifht!?

I annoy my husband every once in a while with "useless" facts or show him photos of so-and-so and I have to say he is very gracious about it all. He doesn't even roll his eyes (well not when I'm in the room) but other than that I don't talk about it.

I did however astonish my whole family (at a family lunch) at the time of Prince Charles' wedding by correcting the tabloid gossip they'd read and explaining why The Queen would not attend the actual civil service. That made their mouths drop open I can tell you!! They seemed quite impressed at my unexplained knowledge!! :lol:

Vanesa said:

Vanesa.
I agree with you completely.Thank You.

Reactions To Your Fascination With Royalty

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but I've been meaning to ask:

How do others react to your fascination with royalty? Do you get raised eyebrows, laughter or even scorn? Or do people just nod, join in on the topic or let it pass?

I ask this because very few people know I am interested in royalty, let alone have a blog about it. I once tried telling a few classmates during a night out, and they stared at me as if I had two heads.

I guess my question is aimed at those who live in countries that do not have monarchy, such as the United States. Do you keep your interest in royalty a secret save a select few? How do you share with others your fascination with the subject?

Sonjapearl, I am very glad that you have started this thread.

Obviously I am interested in royalty - especially the DRF. I am a Dane. Most Danes are not interested in a degree that makes them join a forum like this. But I am sure all Danes relate to the DRF somehow and that they will be talking about the royals "on and of" - even if they are among the very few who are against the monarcy. I am talking to lots of people about the DRF and nobody, so far, have found this to be strange. Actually I very seldom bring up the subject. Somebody else does and then I have the opportunity to add my comments to the conversation.

What I have been wondering is, why can someone not living in a monarcy be interested in the lives and doings of some royals, who must be foreigners to them - and with whom can they share their interest? (besides from sharing it with the members og TRF).

I hope this thread will give me a hint of an answer.

I live in Canada and we have monarchy. Queen Elizabeth II is our queen. In the English provinces, I think the Queen is more popular than in the province of Quebec. In Quebec, very few people are interested in monarchy.

I don't really tell anyone. I told one of my friends and she thinks it's weird. Of course I am only fifteen, maybe that's why. I think I started becoming fascinated when I was about thirteen.
I actually did a report on Princess Grace last year and no one knew who she was.

I live in Orlando btw, and I became fascinated with the Monegasque Royal Family first. Now I'm more fascinated with the BRF, but am interested in other houses as well.

P.S. Learning their histories has kind of helped me in my History class.

I work in a large office, that is subdivided into smaller groups. About a month ago, I ran into an elderly lady that works in another department. I suppose she needs some description of Anna. She is a bull terrier, her co-workers refer to her as mad dog. She makes the lady in the Devil wears parda look like a saint.
Anyway I was walking pass her desk when I noticed that she had several royal annuals and majesty magazines and Royalties on her table under work. She even had an open Hello magazine which she was trying to hide. Since we are a media company - we do handle a lot of foreign broadsheets and yes tabloids, but I couldn't laugh at the fact that this woman that is so feared by the office was reading about the Queen's Ascot frocks.
She later tried to tell me it was worked related, but as she deals with media analysis for the Nambian government, I doubt it.

I live in Orlando btw, and I became fascinated with the Monegasque Royal Family first. Now I'm more fascinated with the BRF, but am interested in other houses as well.

I became fascinated with monarchy, especially Austrian, when I read a book about Empress Zita of Austria. After, I became interested in Danish and English royal families.

Back
Top Bottom