The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-13-2015, 08:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

My father grew up learning about Royalty.
My mother had a paternal grandfather who worked as a valet for Grof (Count) Mailath of Hungary for over thirty years.
They are use to the topics of Royalty, Nobility, and Aristocrats.
I became interested. People ask me questions about the English Royal Family.

Old 10-23-2017, 02:47 PM
Courtier

I note Buckingham Palace has not denied the meeting with the Queen; nor do they have to.

I got chewed up by a very good friend at work today when I mentioned Harry and Meghan; got a good telling off.

She asked me why I cared about people whom I did not know, and did not know me; and who can't help you when your struggling to pay your bills. What is wrong with you she said!! You and your Royal Family, for goodness sake, get a life.

I must admit I felt stung and hurt, and its kind of taken the joy of posting now; she kind of made me feel worthless.

I did not answer her as I felt it would make things worse in an open plan office.

Old 10-23-2017, 02:59 PM
Aristocracy

Angieuk, you keep posting! Most importantly you are not worthless. There is nothing wrong about sharing your joy and excitement about anything EVER. I don’t know the royal family either but that doesn’t stop me from talking as if I did. It’s exciting and takes the everyday reality of life away to something I enjoy. You keep posting hen!
Old 10-23-2017, 03:01 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by angieuk View Post
I note Buckingham Palace has not denied the meeting with the Queen; nor do they have to.

I got chewed up by a very good friend at work today when I mentioned Harry and Meghan; got a good telling off.

She asked me why I cared about people whom I did not know, and did not know me; and who can't help you when your struggling to pay your bills. What is wrong with you she said!! You and your Royal Family, for goodness sake, get a life.

I must admit I felt stung and hurt, and its kind of taken the joy of posting now; she kind of made me feel worthless.

I did not answer her as I felt it would make things worse in an open plan office.
I don't think there are many people that know me that actually can understand just why I bother to have a great interest in a royal family in a country that is not even my own. I just do. Everyone, I think, has specific areas of interest that appeal to them that might seem odd to someone else. Some people follow car racing. Some people follow movie stars and politicians. Some people follow bar bands. Everyone floats their own boat.

Harry and Meghan are of great interest to a lot of people because, frankly, they're in the public eye because of who they are and what they do. Some of us have watched Harry from the time he was born. We feel like we *know* him.

Personally, I don't think having an interest in all things royal like we do is something to make one feel worthless. If its worthwhile to you, then who cares what someone else may think about it. All I know is that your opinions and postings here on TRF have added to the conversations and I know that you're in kindred company here. That, m'friend, is something of worth in my book.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I got chewed up by a very good friend at work today when I mentioned Harry and Meghan; got a good telling off. She asked me why I cared about people whom I did not know, and did not know me; and who can't help you when your struggling to pay your bills. What is wrong with you she said!! You and your Royal Family, for goodness sake, get a life.

I must admit I felt stung and hurt, and its kind of taken the joy of posting now; she kind of made me feel worthless. I did not answer her as I felt it would make things worse in an open plan office.
Aw, well, don't feel bad. It's a hobby. We all have our interests. For me this is an extension of my historical interests, and you can say that! It's living history (of a kind), an adjunct to the 'dead' history we all revel in. Plus there are political and social elements to the royalty phenomenon.

I have English friends who I dare not mention my interest to (and those I do). It's one English friend who responds to my questions as though I am slightly touched in the head. Or that's what it feels like.

TRF is very much an echo-chamber. In no way does the 'real world' have this interest, and even my interests are narrow compared to a great deal that goes forward on TRF site itself, often what goes forward on even one thread. So don't be bothered by it, though I think your co-worker/friend has issues to be so rude in an open office. I'd re-think that relationship if it happened to me. As long as one's fascination does not veer into the personal (this is my view) meaning that one identifies so strongly that actual emotional reactions supervene like with a family member, it all seems harmless. JMO.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:

That is NOT what a real friend does to their friend ever. A real friend does not embarrass, be rude or condescending to their friend in an open office or elsewhere period. The lives of the royal families all around the world are part of *living history* as Lady Nimue said. Many of us here saw the marriage of Prince Harry's parents and saw his birth as well as the birth of his brother William and have followed their lives as long. It is exciting and interesting all the ups and downs that can go on in their lives for they are much the same as the ordinary person in everyday life, only on a different scale of living. So for me and I am sure all of us here, keep posting and enjoying TRF for there is always something interesting going on and much to learn...branch out and view other royals families also for believe me it can be quite a challenge and interesting to say the least.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:56 PM
Nobility

Quote:

Don't let her get to you. We all have hobbies and interest that aren't really 'useful' or benefit anyone, but we still do it, spend time and effort in doing it/them. Being interested in TRF and their happenings is pretty harmless.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:18 PM
Gentry

Quote:

Maybe she's not as good a friend as you thought? And it says a lot more about her that she'd go off so meanly on you over something she thinks is so insignificant. If it is, why is she chewing you out?

Well one things' for sure - WE won't do that to you and you can post here to your heart's content.

When they marry - buy her a commemorative plate and better yet, prank her by drenching her whole desk in Harry+Meghan memorabilia.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:35 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Oh I just had a scathingly, brilliant idea. I'm sure they're still around but what you could do is buy her a "collector's item" wedding mug for Harry and Meghan's wedding. I'm sure that once the engagement is announced, the market is going to be flooded with people hawking memorabilia of the upcoming nuptials.

Trick will be to get this specific mug. I've seen them still for sale at places like Ebay and such. What this person will not know (and will be interesting to watch and see if its ever discovered.. by anybody in the office) is that this mug was made in China as memorabilia for William and Kate's wedding. They just kind of goofed up and put the wrong prince on the mug.

If you cannot dazzle them with brilliance, baflle 'em with bul... err witticism.

Kate Middleton 'marries Prince Harry' on souvenir mug - Telegraph
Old 10-23-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:

Well, Angieuk, I would venture that you know a lot more European history than those around you because of your interest in the British Royal Family. Most Americans feel a great affection for your monarchy because it represents a huge part of our own history. Lets see...what is more uplifting---watching the European royals do public charity initiatives or following which Kardashian is heading for divorce this week?

I'm not a snob---I just like beautiful, positive, exciting things of lasting importance-----just like you!
Old 10-23-2017, 04:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:

She obviously has personal problems. I would say that little outburst is more of a reflection on her life than your actions.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Yep I agree with jacqui....don't waste your time letting people like that cause you upset or negative feelings.

LaRae
Old 10-23-2017, 05:05 PM
Courtier

I'm sorry you were treated that way angieuk. You are absolutely not worthless, and please do not let this person (or anyone) make you feel that way
Old 10-23-2017, 06:20 PM
Majesty

My interest began when I was about 12 years old. It was the summer that the great BBC series "The Six Wives of Henry VIII" came on and I was hooked out of my mind. I read everything I could get my hands on about Henry VIII and his wives and it sort of grew from there..to Mary Queen of Scots, Marie-Antoinette, all of European royal history.

I was also enchanted by picking up movie mags and reading about Princess Grace of Monaco and her gorgeous daughter Princess Caroline.Caroline was at the height of her beauty then, and was regular tabloid fodder.

My friends at school would pick up the books I was reading and give me a look like I was a Martian. Occasionally someone would make an unkind remark("She thinks she's a PRINCESS!") My family teased me with a mixture of exasperation and pride.

But I didn't care. And when I discovered TRF about a decade ago I knew had found MY PEOPLE.

angieuk, please don't let anyone shame or guilt you for enjoying Royal gossip. what's the harm? Would they think better of you if you had some dark interest in the occult, or stalked movie actors or something?? Almost every time I log in here I learn something new not only about Royals and aristocrats but about different posters all over the world. It's great.

Please stay here with us, and when your "friends" give you a hard time just smile and roll your eyes or shrug or something. It's nicer than telling them to BUZZ OFF which you are perfectly entitled to do in response to their rudeness!

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 10-23-2017, 06:21 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

angieuk, I'm sorry you had to experience that. I don't want to assume anything wrong about the relationship between the two of you; but M. Payton is right - close friends should not make one another feel worthless, she should be there to support you. If one of my friends was interested in something I didn't like or understand, I certainly wouldn't make them feel so low about it. After all; we all have different tastes - the world would be boring if we all liked the same thing, anyway!
I know it's horrible but such an exchange should not stop you from posting - after all, most of us are here because we're all in the same boat

As for me; I haven't had any particularly extreme reactions to my interest in royalty. My family have always been royalists apart from my uncle; and as a strong republican he often says he doesn't understand the appeal of looking at photos of royals in magazines. (But that's understandable, given his views on the royals in general - though Prince Harry even managed to please my uncle when they met at my uncle's work once! After meeting him, my uncle said "I never thought I'd say this about a royal, but Harry's a nice guy" ) My friends often talk about "our" RF (the British), and many of them have become more interested in the BRF since Meghan Markle, and have even been asking me questions to broaden their knowledge on the RF.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 10-23-2017, 06:34 PM
Courtier

I am in my 80's and I have been following the royals since before Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip married. My Mother used to bring royal magazines home from the library. Back during WW II we didn't have any money and following the royals put a bright spot in our days. Keep enjoying.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:04 PM
Heir Apparent

I have always been interested, as long as I can remember.
I watched royal weddings with my mother and my godmother.

Most of the people I work with are mildly interested, so it is fun to be considered the "expert"!!!

(And really, almost everyone has a harmless hobby that might seem pointless to others. I bet Angieuk's friend does. )
Old 10-23-2017, 08:47 PM
Aristocracy

The royal family seems to have always been a topic part of my life My kids (adults) grew up in a tartan house. Every week or two there has always been phone calls across the pond ever since I can remember. For us I suppose it was learning our heritage and some British history. My grannies would fly over on propeller planes. Yikes. I have pictures of a very young HM accepting flowers from my Aunt Margaret I also have the entire daily mirror when George VI passed. I’m very lucky for the memorabilia that has been given to me. My favorite is a Victoria and Albert tin that belonged to my great great gran. My family (cousins etc) are all wrapped up in it. My daughter went to college in London. My uncles here have kilts. We celebrate burns nite it a tradition for us to bring in the new year at 7 to celebrate Hogmanay. So sorry this is rambling. My family doesn’t just get it, they encouraged we learn about the monarchy
Old 10-23-2017, 10:53 PM
Serene Highness

Being American, I must admit that no one in my family or close circle of friends care or can name any Royal except for Queen Elizabeth II. They know I took courses on British history along with US Constitution while in my 60s from a wonderful professor at Princeton during night classes. They thought I was nuts and mouthed off many times at my silliness. Didn't bother me as mentally I told them exactly what I thought of them [not yelling aloud saved many arguments plus I could cuss a blue streak which made me feel better and my blood pressure remained good]. People will always try to either make fun of what you do, think or enjoy. At least we do not attend sports events and beat each other up over teams like quite a lot of the world's population. Please don't ever let anyone try to make you feel ashamed for liking "someone you don't know personally". None of their business.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:52 PM
Majesty

My first introduction to royals was my grandmother. My Nana came over as a war bride and two sisters (though the sisters were married to Brits). My story time with them was stories of England and the royals often included. Their family had worked as stewards for a northern duke for many generations. Rumor had it they were descended from a bastard. I never realized until after she died, my grandmother had never liked Canada, and had always complained about wanting to go home (stayed for her husband and kids). I just remember her telling me all these great stories, not realizing why.

My mother does say she was up for a midnight feed with me and watched part of Diana's wedding (I was born in late April 1981).

My real interest always started and has continued with history. Henry VIII drew me in but I really got into the Stewarts, especially in their early Scottish days. As I went, I went further and further back, Bonnie prince Charlie being the latest history I am interested in. I did my bachelors in history and a year and so towards a masters in british history (before I took a 180 degree turn as my dad would say and went into nursing). Still an absolute obsession for me.

My first non British royal was Victoria. And she is the one who got me looking into foreign royals. I used to read People magazine fanatically and I was fascinated by the female heir. I loved there was actually a country where a woman was heir instead of her brother. I was a feminist from the cradle my mother would tell you. And one of the little girls who never liked princesses or dresses. My favorite fairy tale wasn't one, it was the paper bag princess (Robert Munch) because she saved herself.

First royal wedding was Edward and Sophie. I did watch Diana's funeral but because we had just moved and I had no friends and nothing to do as it was summer time. I really had little idea who she was at the time. I actually think I changed the channel part way in as there was a tv film series about Troy at the same time which was more interest to me.

As for how people take it, my family kind of smirks sometimes. But they just chalk it up to my usual obsessions. I am called the walking encyclopedia as I watch lots of Jeopardy so I have so much useless facts. My royal knowledge seems to get grouped in there even if not right.

My friends....we all have odd hobbies. I have a friend who makes midevil armor and weapons. One who is obsessed with cosplay and dresses and changed her name to Link for a while. One who was a wiccan or thought so in college and is now fanatic about herbal remedies and holistic medicine. Makes for interesting chats when we have dinner. We all know we have our own odd hobbies, and we all respect that. Laugh, good naturedly of course, at each other at times but still.

I have plans with a friend tomorrow who has a passion for sci fi (I do too but not his level) as well as opera/theater. But he has taken to making homemade soap. He often brings me soap when we go out. Its always a guessing game what shape he will bring me, as he combines interests. The last one was a tardis from Dr Who.