Reactions To Your Interest In Royalty

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I note Buckingham Palace has not denied the meeting with the Queen; nor do they have to.

I got chewed up by a very good friend at work today when I mentioned Harry and Meghan; got a good telling off.

She asked me why I cared about people whom I did not know, and did not know me; and who can't help you when your struggling to pay your bills. What is wrong with you she said!! You and your Royal Family, for goodness sake, get a life.

I must admit I felt stung and hurt, and its kind of taken the joy of posting now; she kind of made me feel worthless.

I did not answer her as I felt it would make things worse in an open plan office.
She obviously has personal problems. I would say that little outburst is more of a reflection on her life than your actions.

Yep I agree with jacqui....don't waste your time letting people like that cause you upset or negative feelings.

LaRae

I'm sorry you were treated that way angieuk. You are absolutely not worthless, and please do not let this person (or anyone) make you feel that way :flowers:

My interest began when I was about 12 years old. It was the summer that the great BBC series "The Six Wives of Henry VIII" came on and I was hooked out of my mind. I read everything I could get my hands on about Henry VIII and his wives and it sort of grew from there..to Mary Queen of Scots, Marie-Antoinette, all of European royal history.

I was also enchanted by picking up movie mags and reading about Princess Grace of Monaco and her gorgeous daughter Princess Caroline.Caroline was at the height of her beauty then, and was regular tabloid fodder.

My friends at school would pick up the books I was reading and give me a look like I was a Martian. Occasionally someone would make an unkind remark("She thinks she's a PRINCESS!") My family teased me with a mixture of exasperation and pride.

But I didn't care. And when I discovered TRF about a decade ago I knew had found MY PEOPLE.?

angieuk, please don't let anyone shame or guilt you for enjoying Royal gossip. what's the harm? Would they think better of you if you had some dark interest in the occult, or stalked movie actors or something?? Almost every time I log in here I learn something new not only about Royals and aristocrats but about different posters all over the world. It's great.

Please stay here with us, and when your "friends" give you a hard time just smile and roll your eyes or shrug or something. It's nicer than telling them to BUZZ OFF which you are perfectly entitled to do in response to their rudeness!:bang:

Last edited:
angieuk, I'm sorry you had to experience that. I don't want to assume anything wrong about the relationship between the two of you; but M. Payton is right - close friends should not make one another feel worthless, she should be there to support you. If one of my friends was interested in something I didn't like or understand, I certainly wouldn't make them feel so low about it. After all; we all have different tastes - the world would be boring if we all liked the same thing, anyway!
I know it's horrible but such an exchange should not stop you from posting - after all, most of us are here because we're all in the same boat ?

As for me; I haven't had any particularly extreme reactions to my interest in royalty. My family have always been royalists apart from my uncle; and as a strong republican he often says he doesn't understand the appeal of looking at photos of royals in magazines. (But that's understandable, given his views on the royals in general - though Prince Harry even managed to please my uncle when they met at my uncle's work once! After meeting him, my uncle said "I never thought I'd say this about a royal, but Harry's a nice guy" :D) My friends often talk about "our" RF (the British), and many of them have become more interested in the BRF since Meghan Markle, and have even been asking me questions to broaden their knowledge on the RF.

I am in my 80's and I have been following the royals since before Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip married. My Mother used to bring royal magazines home from the library. Back during WW II we didn't have any money and following the royals put a bright spot in our days. Keep enjoying.

I have always been interested, as long as I can remember.
I watched royal weddings with my mother and my godmother.

Most of the people I work with are mildly interested, so it is fun to be considered the "expert"!!!

(And really, almost everyone has a harmless hobby that might seem pointless to others. I bet Angieuk's friend does. )

The royal family seems to have always been a topic part of my life My kids (adults) grew up in a tartan house. Every week or two there has always been phone calls across the pond ever since I can remember. For us I suppose it was learning our heritage and some British history. My grannies would fly over on propeller planes. Yikes. I have pictures of a very young HM accepting flowers from my Aunt Margaret I also have the entire daily mirror when George VI passed. I’m very lucky for the memorabilia that has been given to me. My favorite is a Victoria and Albert tin that belonged to my great great gran. My family (cousins etc) are all wrapped up in it. My daughter went to college in London. My uncles here have kilts. We celebrate burns nite it a tradition for us to bring in the new year at 7 to celebrate Hogmanay. So sorry this is rambling. My family doesn’t just get it, they encouraged we learn about the monarchy

Being American, I must admit that no one in my family or close circle of friends care or can name any Royal except for Queen Elizabeth II. They know I took courses on British history along with US Constitution while in my 60s from a wonderful professor at Princeton during night classes. They thought I was nuts and mouthed off many times at my silliness. Didn't bother me as mentally I told them exactly what I thought of them [not yelling aloud saved many arguments plus I could cuss a blue streak which made me feel better and my blood pressure remained good]. People will always try to either make fun of what you do, think or enjoy. At least we do not attend sports events and beat each other up over teams like quite a lot of the world's population. Please don't ever let anyone try to make you feel ashamed for liking "someone you don't know personally". None of their business.

My first introduction to royals was my grandmother. My Nana came over as a war bride and two sisters (though the sisters were married to Brits). My story time with them was stories of England and the royals often included. Their family had worked as stewards for a northern duke for many generations. Rumor had it they were descended from a bastard. I never realized until after she died, my grandmother had never liked Canada, and had always complained about wanting to go home (stayed for her husband and kids). I just remember her telling me all these great stories, not realizing why.

My mother does say she was up for a midnight feed with me and watched part of Diana's wedding (I was born in late April 1981).

My real interest always started and has continued with history. Henry VIII drew me in but I really got into the Stewarts, especially in their early Scottish days. As I went, I went further and further back, Bonnie prince Charlie being the latest history I am interested in. I did my bachelors in history and a year and so towards a masters in british history (before I took a 180 degree turn as my dad would say and went into nursing). Still an absolute obsession for me.

My first non British royal was Victoria. And she is the one who got me looking into foreign royals. I used to read People magazine fanatically and I was fascinated by the female heir. I loved there was actually a country where a woman was heir instead of her brother. I was a feminist from the cradle my mother would tell you. And one of the little girls who never liked princesses or dresses. My favorite fairy tale wasn't one, it was the paper bag princess (Robert Munch) because she saved herself.

First royal wedding was Edward and Sophie. I did watch Diana's funeral but because we had just moved and I had no friends and nothing to do as it was summer time. I really had little idea who she was at the time. I actually think I changed the channel part way in as there was a tv film series about Troy at the same time which was more interest to me.

As for how people take it, my family kind of smirks sometimes. But they just chalk it up to my usual obsessions. I am called the walking encyclopedia as I watch lots of Jeopardy so I have so much useless facts. My royal knowledge seems to get grouped in there even if not right.

My friends....we all have odd hobbies. I have a friend who makes midevil armor and weapons. One who is obsessed with cosplay and dresses and changed her name to Link for a while. One who was a wiccan or thought so in college and is now fanatic about herbal remedies and holistic medicine. Makes for interesting chats when we have dinner. We all know we have our own odd hobbies, and we all respect that. Laugh, good naturedly of course, at each other at times but still.

I have plans with a friend tomorrow who has a passion for sci fi (I do too but not his level) as well as opera/theater. But he has taken to making homemade soap. He often brings me soap when we go out. Its always a guessing game what shape he will bring me, as he combines interests. The last one was a tardis from Dr Who.

My interest was started when my father told me about Princess Margaret's louche new hot piece of totty husband Antony Armstrong Jones.

To be honest my family thinks my passion for royalty means I am quite batty, in the nicest possible way of course.

Coming from a country where New Idea graces the local Supermarket checkout you can imagine some odd the, ah spirited debates that erupt frome time to time.

Whenever one of then moans about mentioning anything about them and insists I desist . . . I agree. As long as they do the same about golf!?

As I live in a rural area on a mountain in a forest and we're pretty much homebodies, there aren't many people I actively interact with where any talk of royalty or interest in all things royal would pop up. Even with my kids, we talk about other things. I think though that should someone walk into my home and take a good look at my library I've amassed, they'd be surprised as basically all the books fall into three categories. Ancient civilizations, royal biographies and metaphysics.

Hubby has grown to realize that I spend a lot of time on TRF and most of the conversations I have going with people I know from here (my sister and I are a prime example. She sends me a text on his phone "check out TRF!" and he knows something has happened in the world of royalty and tells me pronto. He has taken great pleasure out being the first to wake me up and say "Kate had a boy!" and has sat and watched the W&K's wedding with me and asking questions.

Finding TRF really was a godsend for me. Like minded people all in a global society. I can talk to people around the world and never leave my armchair. Same with books. I guess I'm an armchair kind of person. Suits me just fine!
?

I don't talk to anyone about my interest in royals as only one person that I'm friends with is interested in them (she likes British royals) as they have no interest and roll their eyes.
There is no point talking to someone about something that doesn't interest them.

It works quite well for the 'two truths and a lie' game; as several people know of my interest but many others don't...

Some people find it a bit odd, especially since I am an American!

On the other hand, people come to me for an explanation whenever there's a mention of any royal event - which happens quite frequently.

So, it's all good.

I don't know anyone with much interest in the BRF ..maybe a passing knowledge but no one who follows them etc. Just going to be my granddaughter and I watching the wedding!

LaRae

Well I hope to be online using my computer and watching it live on line too. There's just me, brie & crackers while the Poodle thinks I've lost the plot. Oh well, at least I have my forum friends who woo undoubtedly be online too.

I do not know one person either in my personal family or many friends that has any interest in Royalty what-so-ever. They can't recognize any except British royals and then only Queen and Philip and a few others. Most don't even know what countries have royal families and don't care. They all think I am nuts. It really came to front recently when I told then that Prince Harry was getting married on my birthday, May 19th and they asked WHO! Once I told them he was Diana boy they just said that it was a shame she died so young. I definitely will watch if I can and if it doesn't interfere with my personal social life. I am sure there will be many special reviewing over the following weeks or even DVDs of the even as there was of William's

I do not know one person either in my personal family or many friends that has any interest in Royalty what-so-ever. They can't recognize any except British royals and then only Queen and Philip and a few others. Most don't even know what countries have royal families and don't care. They all think I am nuts. It really came to front recently when I told then that Prince Harry was getting married on my birthday, May 19th and they asked WHO! Once I told them he was Diana boy they just said that it was a shame she died so young. I definitely will watch if I can and if it doesn't interfere with my personal social life. I am sure there will be many special reviewing over the following weeks or even DVDs of the even as there was of William's

In countries that are monarchies, it is quite common to find people who are royal watchers or follow the royals. If you live, however, in a republic, especially outside Europe, being a royal watcher is still an eccentricity.

However, nowadays, thanks to the internet and social media, other royal families (besides the British RF, I mean) actually get far more coverage and we have the opportunity to see lots of royal events online, from countries which otherwise would get no coverage at all in our national TV channels. The number of people who follow those events is still quite low, but I think it is bigger than it used to be in the past.

The British RF, as I said many times before, is an exception in the sense that they are celebrities on their own (especially the Queen , Charles, and Diana's sons) and get massive media coverage, not only from royalist sites or channels. Other royal families have a more "regional" appeal, for example, the Spanish RF in Portugal/Spain properly and in Latin America, or the Swedish RF in Scandinavia, Germany and the Baltic countries.

Last edited:
In this part of the world, it's quite difficult to find someone who's also as interested in royalty and monarchy like me.

Most of them only know Queen E II and the popular members of British RF.

Yes it is amazing how much the slightly younger generation do not know of The Queen Mother or Princess Margaret. I am talking of people born in the late 1960's. It only amazes me because I grew with knowing about these royals and alas so many did not. I bet a great many vaguely only know who Prince Charles is, and that is sad as he is to become our next King.

Where I live, I haven't met anyone even vaguely interested in the royals. Although I had a few friends and my sister come over to celebrate Prince Harrys wedding. We had a lovely party while watching it. Perhaps it was a good excuse for Champagne and cake.

Yes it is amazing how much the slightly younger generation do not know of The Queen Mother or Princess Margaret. I am talking of people born in the late 1960's. It only amazes me because I grew with knowing about these royals and alas so many did not. I bet a great many vaguely only know who Prince Charles is, and that is sad as he is to become our next King.

Where I live, I haven't met anyone even vaguely interested in the royals. Although I had a few friends and my sister come over to celebrate Prince Harrys wedding. We had a lovely party while watching it. Perhaps it was a good excuse for Champagne and cake.

Some people find it weird and unnecessary. They also find me boring talking about royals.

It's hard to find people who share the same interests.

Yesterday a gentleman asked what did the assassination of Archduke Francis Ferdinand have to do with the First World War. I politely explained about Emperor Francis Joseph I and the demise of Crown Prince Rudolph. I expressed about how Francis Ferdinand became the new heir and married Sophie Chotek. The man was very pleased.

Most people in the US have no interests in royals outside of British royalty and even then, it's very little interest. The person who does my hair has an interest in royals so I talked to her about htem.

My family respects my views. Most share my support for our Constitutional Monarchy and others see the benefits and the pitfalls. Some close family and friends share a love of Royal history which is great when it comes to birthday gifts. My three year old grandson can recognise the Queen!

Yesterday I was able to inform a gentleman about Tsar Nicholas II and Tsarina Alexandra's visit to Nicky's uncle King Edward VII at Cowles in 1909. The man appreciated all the details I told him about the imperial visit.

Just saw the Weddings of the Daughters of the Comte and Comtesse de Paris. That were really royal Weddings avec Alexandre as hairdresser !

I only ever shared that interest with my late twin sister. Since her untimely death I can only share this interest with people on this forum.

Back
Top Bottom