Reactions To Your Interest In Royalty

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My Mum used to be interested as well but no one else cares at all and can't wait for Australia to become a republic to be rid of them.

As for my work colleagues - the same as above.

My older friends (over 70s) think they are all right and anyone under 60 thinks they're are a waste of time and space and can't understand my interest at all.

The students I teach tend not even to know who any of them are - except for Queen. Even the kids who do Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme don't know who it is named after.

Everytime I talk about any royal family to my family or friends, they doesn't want to hear me talking about them. Now, I am trying not to talk too much about the royals. I've always been a huge fan of royalty. Nobody I know are interested in royalty. I seem to be the only one in my family who is very interested in royalty.:nonono:

Same with me. I remember a long time ago my mother and I was watching television Princess Grace was on - she was alive this was in the early 1980 and she said " I know that I never met her but Princess grace seems like a nice lady" well after that I became a royal fanatic! ( somewhat a lonely existence being a royal fan!)

Mostly english royalty and Monaco royalty most of my family think I AM NUTS--lol---When a member of the royal family visits America and the television is on and the news is covering it they yell to me : Gary your cousin just arrived on American soil" and I would ask which one? Then I would give a bob from my head----

Many years later I found a friend who loves the royas and histories we buy the dvds and discuss them at length-

Same with me. I remember a long time ago my mother and I was watching television Princess Grace was on - she was alive this was in the early 1980 and she said " I know that I never met her but Princess grace seems like a nice lady" well after that I became a royal fanatic! ( somewhat a lonely existence being a royal fan!)

Mostly english royalty and Monaco royalty most of my family think I AM NUTS--lol---When a member of the royal family visits America and the television is on and the news is covering it they yell to me : Gary your cousin just arrived on American soil" and I would ask which one? Then I would give a bob from my head----

Many years later I found a friend who loves the royas and histories we buy the dvds and discuss them at length-

You are lucky to have a friend who also loves royals and histories. I wish I have a friend who is also interested in royalty.:ermm: That's nice to have a friend who would talk to you about royalty or history. That should be fun to discuss with somebody about royalty or history.

my mom says Im obsessed, but she does follow the news regarding the BRF and once woke me up when charles and camilla got engaged.

When people say you're "obsessed" with something, it's usually just because they don't understand.

tell me about it.:lol: Everytime I get interested in something, she thinks Im Obsessed.:nonono:

:angel:

I am an African American, and the only person that I know of any race that is interested in royalty. Well, that's not true...I did have one friend when Diana died was fascinated but it isn't the same. Because when it was over so was her interest.

I have always been interested in royalty. When encyclopedia's were out...I would devour information on the British Kings and Queens. I was eleven when Charles and Diana got married...I still have the article from the Washington Post when the engagement was announce. And got up at the crack of dawn to watch the wedding (same thing with Sarah and Andrew).

I have tons of Majesty and Royalty magazines, and books (bios on Diana, Queen Elizabeth II, Henry VII, Eleanor of Aquitane) as well as books on Diana/Charles, Sarah/Andrew, Sophie/Edwards weddings, British Portraits from Cecil Beaton, etc!

Luckily I stumbled onto this site four years ago..and that ws it. It was like...Gosh! There are people like me! And I discovered the other royal families as well..Denmark...the Netherlands...Japan...Jordan...its been great!

Last edited:
Luckily I stumbled onto this site four years ago..and that ws it. It was like...Gosh! There are people like me! And I discovered the other royal families as well..Denmark...the Netherlands...Japan...Jordan...its been great!
<Sung to the Dr. Pepper song>
I'm a TRF freak
You're a TRF freak
We're a TRF freak
Wouldn't you like to be a TRF Freak too?!! :D

Furienna, usually those are spouses that think you ought to spend more time with THEM than your obsession. But when it's THEIR turn it's "Can't you understand?? This is IMPORTANT!"

My family rather don't know anything about my interests. But my sister who see me like I'm staying here she thinks it's rather boring.

Wow, its been a while since someone posted on this thread :ohmy:

My Family and I have dual British-Australian Citizenship, and we have respect for The Monarchy in a Britsh sense, but support the idea of an Australian Republic (I want The Head of State to be The Govenor General, though. Much as I like Obama, a President just isn't right for a country that has been a Commonwealth Realm for so long)

Its quite easy for me to speak about Royals in a positive way, living where I do. The Republican Sentiment is more about The Windsors not being Australian, than The French getting it right in 1789.

I try not to reveal that I am intersted enough in Royalty to be on a forum like this, though. I keep quiet because, along with not wanting to bore anyone, I fear being seen as politically backwards (I'm very much not. I like the apolitical aspects of Royalty) and secretly fashion obssesed (I hate clothes shopping, but my family doesn't know just how much. I'm going to buy my clothes on the internet when I live by myself ;) )

I also don't want to be seen as having an interest in the soap opera aspect *coughCamillavsDianacough* :headache: :deadhorse: :frazzled:

I like Royalty for the charity work, the titles, the heraldry (I'm a geek :ROFLMAO:) and the jewels :crown6::heart1:

I'm really glad to have found this forum. Its great to have a place where everyone is as interested in Royalty as I am :flowers:

I am afraid I must blame my father and his mother for my fascination. She was a great reader and family history person (may be related to HM through some obscure German house) and my father was an English literature teacher for years. I think I came to it on my own one day browsing National Geographic's issue for the coronation. I was immediately enthralled at the pagentry and HM and DoE's appearance on the day. I was in NZ when HM came in 1970, although I didn't get to see her (my sister did tho). I have watched weddings, state visits, subscribe to Majesty and devour every book possible...currently reading the QM's official biography which is fascinating. So I guess I am obsessed! Getting my recorder ready for Friday the 29th. Love the opinions here and the other sites I have found because of TRF. Thanks.

My mother followed the BRF as they were the only ones that we ever heard about in the news. She woke me up right before Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson got married. Both of us had overslept but turned in on right as Sarah was starting to walk into the church. My grandmother wasn't really interested in royalty and the rest of my family has no interest in them either.

My friends and people I work with roll their eyes at me and look at me like Who really cares. Most of them have no interest in royalty and think I've gone overboard with my interest. While it's true that I probably will never meet any royals in persons, it's nice that there is a place where I can talk about royalty with others who share my interest. Can't really discuss it with friends.

My friends think I'm odd for being interested in royalty and even liking the idea of a monarchy. The only person who shares any kind of interest is my grandmother.

My friends think I'm odd for being interested in royalty and even liking the idea of a monarchy. The only person who shares any kind of interest is my grandmother.
Today some people have so exotic or strange interests and I do not understand when the people find that odd-to be interested in monarchy.As far as it concerns me,it's better to be interested in royalty than in Kardashians or let's say milder in some "stars" who don't even deserve to have so high profile

Today some people have so exotic or strange interests and I do not understand when the people find that odd-to be interested in monarchy.As far as it concerns me,it's better to be interested in royalty than in Kardashians or let's say milder in some "stars" who don't even deserve to have so high profile

I agree with you completely. I think in general though, those of us who happen to like anything that is termed 'intellectual' are considered 'odd'. Though I will say that when I told my elementary school age students about the Faberge Easter eggs, it led to a discussion on how one becomes a monarch. I wished that I had the time that day to show them some interesting things on the British Monarchy website. There's nothing more joyous than sharing your passion and interest with someone else (especially if that someone is genuinely interested).

My co- workers think I am strange for being interested- they keep saying but the Royals are normal plp like you and me, which makes me cringe because no not really. I tried to explain my interest in current and past royalty but one co-worker said but you have as much history in your back ground ad they do...(uh no!)

I don't really understand the reaction, it's like any other hobby- not everyone is interested but it doesn't hurt anyone that I am interested.....but they act like i just said my hobby was drugs or gang fights or prostitution- very strange to me!

It cannot be "the money", Royals possess......which makes them so attractive.....nor always an :heart: outstanding beauty......neither in every case an ideal behaviour......and, nevertheless, they are almost adored......

When we are born, we bring nothing into the world except ourselves. The families that we are born into or raised by defines how we live as minors. Some are born poor. Some are born into wealth. Most people don't live like royals. Perhaps this is one reason why people are fascinated by them. Sometimes you are fascinated by how others live or people that have a lifestyle you don't have.

The one thing that royals have in common with us commonors or common folk is when they die, they don't take anything with them and that includes their earthly wealth. You come into this world with nothing and you leave this world with nothing.

My family tends to laugh at me, but not in a mean way, so I really don't mind.

My co-workers find it a bit odd, I sometimes get "Why do you care? You're an American!"

Funny thing though- in conjunction with the Royal Wedding we are having a British High Tea celebration at the library where I work!
Everyone wanted me to take charge of it and do it properly!

They couldn't believe it when I said I won't be there at all (taking the day off to watch the wedding). :lol:

Most Americans don't, actually, know who they are. If William was not the son of Diana, this would be a total non-event. Actually, it is a non-event here. Most who have an idea wish them well.

My father grew up learning about Royalty.
My mother had a paternal grandfather who worked as a valet for Grof (Count) Mailath of Hungary for over thirty years.
They are use to the topics of Royalty, Nobility, and Aristocrats.
I became interested. People ask me questions about the English Royal Family.

People here have asked me to tell them what I have read about Queen Elizabeth II and Princess Diana. At least they know that Elizabeth II is the sovereign of Great Britain.

I made a lady very happy yesterday. She was looking at Father's Day cards in the card aisle. We spoke of Weddings. I mentioned about the weddings of Prince Harry, Princess Eugenie, and Lady Gabriella. The lady declared I was quite informative. :flowers:

This evening a gentleman from Cleveland, Ohio asked me about Anne Boleyn. I explained that she was one of the wives of King Henry VIII. We had a nice dialogue.

Last edited by a moderator:
I note Buckingham Palace has not denied the meeting with the Queen; nor do they have to.

I got chewed up by a very good friend at work today when I mentioned Harry and Meghan; got a good telling off.

She asked me why I cared about people whom I did not know, and did not know me; and who can't help you when your struggling to pay your bills. What is wrong with you she said!! You and your Royal Family, for goodness sake, get a life.

I must admit I felt stung and hurt, and its kind of taken the joy of posting now; she kind of made me feel worthless.

I did not answer her as I felt it would make things worse in an open plan office.

Angieuk, you keep posting! Most importantly you are not worthless. There is nothing wrong about sharing your joy and excitement about anything EVER. I don’t know the royal family either but that doesn’t stop me from talking as if I did. It’s exciting and takes the everyday reality of life away to something I enjoy. You keep posting hen!

I note Buckingham Palace has not denied the meeting with the Queen; nor do they have to.

I got chewed up by a very good friend at work today when I mentioned Harry and Meghan; got a good telling off.

She asked me why I cared about people whom I did not know, and did not know me; and who can't help you when your struggling to pay your bills. What is wrong with you she said!! You and your Royal Family, for goodness sake, get a life.

I must admit I felt stung and hurt, and its kind of taken the joy of posting now; she kind of made me feel worthless.

I did not answer her as I felt it would make things worse in an open plan office.

I don't think there are many people that know me that actually can understand just why I bother to have a great interest in a royal family in a country that is not even my own. I just do. Everyone, I think, has specific areas of interest that appeal to them that might seem odd to someone else. Some people follow car racing. Some people follow movie stars and politicians. Some people follow bar bands. Everyone floats their own boat.

Harry and Meghan are of great interest to a lot of people because, frankly, they're in the public eye because of who they are and what they do. Some of us have watched Harry from the time he was born. We feel like we *know* him.

Personally, I don't think having an interest in all things royal like we do is something to make one feel worthless. If its worthwhile to you, then who cares what someone else may think about it. All I know is that your opinions and postings here on TRF have added to the conversations and I know that you're in kindred company here. That, m'friend, is something of worth in my book. :D

I got chewed up by a very good friend at work today when I mentioned Harry and Meghan; got a good telling off. She asked me why I cared about people whom I did not know, and did not know me; and who can't help you when your struggling to pay your bills. What is wrong with you she said!! You and your Royal Family, for goodness sake, get a life.

I must admit I felt stung and hurt, and its kind of taken the joy of posting now; she kind of made me feel worthless. I did not answer her as I felt it would make things worse in an open plan office.

Aw, well, don't feel bad. :sad: It's a hobby. We all have our interests. For me this is an extension of my historical interests, and you can say that! It's living history (of a kind), an adjunct to the 'dead' history we all revel in. Plus there are political and social elements to the royalty phenomenon.

I have English friends who I dare not mention my interest to (and those I do). It's one English friend who responds to my questions as though I am slightly touched in the head. ? Or that's what it feels like. :rolleyes:

TRF is very much an echo-chamber. ;) In no way does the 'real world' have this interest, and even my interests are narrow compared to a great deal that goes forward on TRF site itself, often what goes forward on even one thread. So don't be bothered by it, though I think your co-worker/friend has issues to be so rude in an open office. I'd re-think that relationship if it happened to me. As long as one's fascination does not veer into the personal (this is my view) meaning that one identifies so strongly that actual emotional reactions supervene like with a family member, it all seems harmless. JMO.

That is NOT what a real friend does to their friend ever. A real friend does not embarrass, be rude or condescending to their friend in an open office or elsewhere period. The lives of the royal families all around the world are part of *living history* as Lady Nimue said. Many of us here saw the marriage of Prince Harry's parents and saw his birth as well as the birth of his brother William and have followed their lives as long. It is exciting and interesting all the ups and downs that can go on in their lives for they are much the same as the ordinary person in everyday life, only on a different scale of living. So for me and I am sure all of us here, keep posting and enjoying TRF for there is always something interesting going on and much to learn...branch out and view other royals families also for believe me it can be quite a challenge and interesting to say the least.

Last edited by a moderator:

Don't let her get to you. We all have hobbies and interest that aren't really 'useful' or benefit anyone, but we still do it, spend time and effort in doing it/them. Being interested in TRF and their happenings is pretty harmless.

Maybe she's not as good a friend as you thought? And it says a lot more about her that she'd go off so meanly on you over something she thinks is so insignificant. If it is, why is she chewing you out?

Well one things' for sure - WE won't do that to you and you can post here to your heart's content.

When they marry - buy her a commemorative plate and better yet, prank her by drenching her whole desk in Harry+Meghan memorabilia.

Oh I just had a scathingly, brilliant idea. I'm sure they're still around but what you could do is buy her a "collector's item" wedding mug for Harry and Meghan's wedding. I'm sure that once the engagement is announced, the market is going to be flooded with people hawking memorabilia of the upcoming nuptials.

Trick will be to get this specific mug. I've seen them still for sale at places like Ebay and such. What this person will not know (and will be interesting to watch and see if its ever discovered.. by anybody in the office) is that this mug was made in China as memorabilia for William and Kate's wedding. They just kind of goofed up and put the wrong prince on the mug. :lol:

If you cannot dazzle them with brilliance, baflle 'em with bul... err witticism. :D

Kate Middleton 'marries Prince Harry' on souvenir mug - Telegraph

Well, Angieuk, I would venture that you know a lot more European history than those around you because of your interest in the British Royal Family. Most Americans feel a great affection for your monarchy because it represents a huge part of our own history. Lets see...what is more uplifting---watching the European royals do public charity initiatives or following which Kardashian is heading for divorce this week?

I'm not a snob---I just like beautiful, positive, exciting things of lasting importance-----just like you!

Back
Top Bottom