The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royal Chit Chat

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-09-2006, 05:26 AM
Serene Highness

They propably think I'm crazy. Except for my grandfather who was as crazy as I am. On the day Felipe and Letizia got married we got up at 7 in the moring, to be ready in front of the tv at 8, in order not to miss anything. It was great

Old 10-09-2006, 05:47 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess leonor
They propably think I'm crazy. Except for my grandfather who was as crazy as I am. On the day Felipe and Letizia got married we got up at 7 in the moring, to be ready in front of the tv at 8, in order not to miss anything. It was great
that's great princess leonor! the last time i shared an experience like that was when the Philippines hosted the Miss Universe pageant in 1994 and my sister and i both woke up early to watch it.

i remember watching the funeral of Princess Diana back in '97 and when my mom and sister (the same sis i watched the Miss Universe with) got home, i got scolded because i forgot to cook rice, since i was stuck in front of the TV. i remember thinking, "Hello? Don't you understand?! It's Princess Diana getting laid to rest! Isn't that important to you?!"

Old 10-10-2006, 11:20 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhapsodyBrat
that's great princess leonor! the last time i shared an experience like that was when the Philippines hosted the Miss Universe pageant in 1994 and my sister and i both woke up early to watch it.

i remember watching the funeral of Princess Diana back in '97 and when my mom and sister (the same sis i watched the Miss Universe with) got home, i got scolded because i forgot to cook rice, since i was stuck in front of the TV. i remember thinking, "Hello? Don't you understand?! It's Princess Diana getting laid to rest! Isn't that important to you?!"
I can imagine that must have been terrible. It's incredible isn't it, how they are just unable to understand. That is actually the reason I spend the night at my grandparent, so I could watch it, without being called crazy or be disturbed
Old 10-10-2006, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger

It's so great to read all your experiences!

In fact my grandfather is my personal "dealer" of Royal magazines!
He gives his old ones to me!
so I don't have to go to the shop and buy them there..
you know.. those gossip-magazines are just something for older women..
(yeah.. and for me... even if I just read them because the storys that are written there are soo extremely stupid and funny!)

Old 12-20-2008, 08:53 PM

Reactions To Your Fascination With Royalty

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but I've been meaning to ask:

How do others react to your fascination with royalty? Do you get raised eyebrows, laughter or even scorn? Or do people just nod, join in on the topic or let it pass?

I ask this because very few people know I am interested in royalty, let alone have a blog about it. I once tried telling a few classmates during a night out, and they stared at me as if I had two heads.

I guess my question is aimed at those who live in countries that do not have monarchy, such as the United States. Do you keep your interest in royalty a secret save a select few? How do you share with others your fascination with the subject?

Old 12-20-2008, 09:08 PM
Courtier

Sonjapearl, I am very glad that you have started this thread.

Obviously I am interested in royalty - especially the DRF. I am a Dane. Most Danes are not interested in a degree that makes them join a forum like this. But I am sure all Danes relate to the DRF somehow and that they will be talking about the royals "on and of" - even if they are among the very few who are against the monarcy. I am talking to lots of people about the DRF and nobody, so far, have found this to be strange. Actually I very seldom bring up the subject. Somebody else does and then I have the opportunity to add my comments to the conversation.

What I have been wondering is, why can someone not living in a monarcy be interested in the lives and doings of some royals, who must be foreigners to them - and with whom can they share their interest? (besides from sharing it with the members og TRF).

I hope this thread will give me a hint of an answer.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:31 PM
Courtier

I live in Canada and we have monarchy. Queen Elizabeth II is our queen. In the English provinces, I think the Queen is more popular than in the province of Quebec. In Quebec, very few people are interested in monarchy.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:26 PM
Commoner

I don't really tell anyone. I told one of my friends and she thinks it's weird. Of course I am only fifteen, maybe that's why. I think I started becoming fascinated when I was about thirteen.
I actually did a report on Princess Grace last year and no one knew who she was.

I live in Orlando btw, and I became fascinated with the Monegasque Royal Family first. Now I'm more fascinated with the BRF, but am interested in other houses as well.

P.S. Learning their histories has kind of helped me in my History class.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:03 AM
Courtier

I work in a large office, that is subdivided into smaller groups. About a month ago, I ran into an elderly lady that works in another department. I suppose she needs some description of Anna. She is a bull terrier, her co-workers refer to her as mad dog. She makes the lady in the Devil wears parda look like a saint.
Anyway I was walking pass her desk when I noticed that she had several royal annuals and majesty magazines and Royalties on her table under work. She even had an open Hello magazine which she was trying to hide. Since we are a media company - we do handle a lot of foreign broadsheets and yes tabloids, but I couldn't laugh at the fact that this woman that is so feared by the office was reading about the Queen's Ascot frocks.
She later tried to tell me it was worked related, but as she deals with media analysis for the Nambian government, I doubt it.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:31 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizlovescrisro View Post
I live in Orlando btw, and I became fascinated with the Monegasque Royal Family first. Now I'm more fascinated with the BRF, but am interested in other houses as well.
I became fascinated with monarchy, especially Austrian, when I read a book about Empress Zita of Austria. After, I became interested in Danish and English royal families.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

I grew up in a family full of monarchists. The day, Dec 13, 1967, the GRF left Greece, my mother told me.........."Good thing your father is dead, or he'd die today." That ought to explain my fascination with them.
However all I get now is eyes rolling, politely changing the conversation and amazement at the mags and books I have collected......perhaps mixed in with pity (for me) from those who cannot understand why I care about......."them" lol
Old 12-21-2008, 02:05 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilla View Post
Obviously I am interested in royalty - especially the DRF. I am a Dane. Most Danes are not interested in a degree that makes them join a forum like this. But I am sure all Danes relate to the DRF somehow and that they will be talking about the royals "on and of" - even if they are among the very few who are against the monarcy. I am talking to lots of people about the DRF and nobody, so far, have found this to be strange. Actually I very seldom bring up the subject. Somebody else does and then I have the opportunity to add my comments to the conversation.
This is pretty much also what people here in Sweden feel about our Swedish royal house. Few of us want to abolish the monarchy, but still, most Swedes aren't that interested either, even though king Carl Gustaf, queen Silvia and their children are very famous.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well, they know that I like royalty, but I think that they believe I´m not so "fanatic"
But I think it isn´t a very strange thingh...
Old 12-21-2008, 06:01 PM
Nobility

I became interested in royals through learning about history. Most of the people where I am from ( south Louisiana) think that the BRF is the only royal family left in the world. Everytime I mention royals most people just jump to another topic. Oh well, I think that's just because they don't know anything about royals.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:30 PM
Courtier

As I a child I was not interested in royalty until 5 years ago.When I saw a documentary on the tiny little Principality of Monaco I become hooked.My late grandfather tolerated me talking about royalty but my older brother does not like nor
cares for royalty.I try not to bring it up most people I talk to know little or none about this topic.
And they heard of the British royal family or Monaco princely family maybe Jordan because Queen Noor is American.

I'm head of a dynastic house no matter what others say.
Princess Kamorrissa,Countess of Welle
Old 12-21-2008, 07:39 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Star View Post
My late grandfather tolerated me talking about royalty but my older brother
does not like nor cares for royalty.I try not to bring it up most people I talk to
know little or none about this topic and they only heard of the British royal
family or Moncao princely family and maybe Jordan because Queen Noor is
American.
I know what you mean. My dad tolerates it, although he asked me the other day why I always talk about Prince Albert.

None of my friends know anything about royalty, maybe only that England has a Queen, and that's a lot.
The only thing they care about is creating drama on myspace and Typing lYk DiS!1!1! Sometimes I feel like I'm the weird one.
Sure they're all high schoolers, but I rather learn about royals on here than wasting my time talking about who said what.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:29 AM
Heir Apparent

I seem to have friends who are interested in history and current events, and so they see my interest in Royals are valid. My husband had some books about Royalty in his collection before he ever met me, and so it's something that we have in common to a degree. I usually don't talk about my interest much except with friends who share the interest with me, although sometimes I'm asked by others about what I think about certain things because they know that I'm bound to have an opinion if Royals are involved. :-)
Old 12-30-2008, 05:44 PM
Royal Highness

I have always been interested in British royalty--its history, the legacies of each generation, and in particular the jewels. I have a nice sized collection of books on various royal topics, which my husband tolerates but in all truth considers a bit of a waste. He did try to hunt down a copy of The Royal Jewels by Suzy Menkes for me but was not able to find one.
Most people who know me know of my intense love of estate and antique jewelry, so they are not really surprised when I say I'm looking for a brooch that is similar to one QEII wears, or that I want a pearl strand with a clasp like Camilla's, etc... because I enjoy the jewels (and the wearers just allow me that extra eye candy!). However, people who don't get it think I'm a silly loon. Whatever. I say everyone needs an indulgent hobby--royalty is mine!

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 12-31-2008, 11:05 AM
Nobility

im the only one in my city , and my family who love the royals . i think started fascinated when i was thirteen , but i was and i steel a crazy one in the eye of my family and my friends because my hobby is the royals history and cuurent events !
but know because im older , i dont share my experience with friends , ( just 2 intime friends , but lessend to my opinion but they always consider me a crazy one ).
but my family accepte this idea know , my aunt in netherlands help me ,and she collecte for me magazines , souvenirs , books , about maxima and the all the DRF .
im not just intersting to the royals im a collecter of photos , books , magazines , and sovenirs of the royals , im too crazy by antique jewelry!
I'm always looking for a brooch that is similar to one QEII s, or maxima's pearls or matild's earings !
also i send always letters for all the royals in every occasion , birthday , christmas , born, .... and i have many replys from all the royal houses !
i enjoy what i do and i wll do it throught my life :)
Old 12-31-2008, 11:37 AM
Aristocracy

my family thinks im crazy and i must get over it...

my colleagues keep making fun of me..saying maybe im a royal who got mixed up in hospital...