The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royal Chit Chat

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-10-2006, 02:42 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhinala
Why are all of you so ashamed of liking royalty? I'm a Royalist through and through and always have been and it's part of me. It's something you like. You don't hide that you like soft drinks from people so why hide liking royalty. I think you're all being rather silly about this.
I'm not ashamed at all! I wouldn't call myself a Royalist, I just have an interest in all things royal, I think it stems from my interest in history really.

I don't hide my interest either - I just don't talk about it much as the people around me don't seem to share my interest.

Old 01-10-2006, 03:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichola
I'm not ashamed at all! I wouldn't call myself a Royalist, I just have an interest in all things royal, I think it stems from my interest in history really.

I don't hide my interest either - I just don't talk about it much as the people around me don't seem to share my interest.
that's exactly right! you also wouldnt talk about a fishing hobby to someone who wasnt into fishing.it would just bore them. (it would bore me, that's for sure).

it is so fun when you do discover people you can speak about royalty in an intelligent manner with.

Old 01-10-2006, 06:29 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyemma
that's exactly right! you also wouldnt talk about a fishing hobby to someone who wasnt into fishing.it would just bore them. (it would bore me, that's for sure).

it is so fun when you do discover people you can speak about royalty in an intelligent manner with.
Thankyou Pollyemma!

That is why I joined this forum - to chat to people who do share my interest, and it's nice to find so many people out there who do.

I was trying to think of a good example to include in my last post - your example of fishing was perfect!
Old 01-13-2006, 01:23 AM
Nobility

Just for the purpose of clarification: the two terms we use to describe ourselves (Monarchist and Royalist), do impart different meanings. Firstly, a Monarchist is someone in favour of the governmental system of Monarchy (whichever type eg; absolute/constitutional), they don't need to like any particular Monarch or Royal Family member, but still maintain their view about the system of government. On the other hand, a Royalist is someone who does like/approve of/envy/support etc the Monarch and Royal Family. There is no prerequisite for believing in the system of government, but it is essentialy someone who loves or studies or follows the Royal Family (or Royal Families). I consider myself firmly both, and hide it from no one.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:26 AM
Courtier

then a Monarchist and Royalist I am :)

"MII"
Old 01-14-2006, 12:33 PM
Gentry

Mine are glad that I have an interest, I am more into past royals while my mom is more into present day royals, my dad is into royals who were in the military so we always have somebody to discuss
Old 01-14-2006, 03:42 PM
Gentry

all my friends are republicans and so are a lot of my family, yet my grandparents were great supporters and used to recall weddings, funerals and events from the 1920's till 1990's. my mother and sister wouldnt look on royal websites but know every thing which is going on in the uk and europe as i tell them. i do charity work in a old peoples home and i have found 2 groups of people, those who are very much against monarchy and those very much for monarchy, with no people who have no defined opinion which goes away from my early opinion that all old people like royals, but as a person in their 20's, i find when im at engagements and events that its more younger people who want to witness a piece of history.(e.g state funeral, royal wedding etc). i have never been embarrassed about it as its my hobby and intrest in which i travel all over europe to either witness an event or to see exibitions and palaces. im a proud royalist.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:41 AM
Royal Highness

My mother shares my interest in royals. I remember getting up at the crack of dawn or earlier to watch Sarah & Andrew's wedding on tv. We also watched Charles & Diana's wedding but I was too young to remember it. We share magazines and books and enjoys discussions. The rest of my family hasn't really made their feelings known.
I don't really broadcast it to my friends and colleagues because they'd probably think it was some needs-to-outgrow-Cinderella-complex or something.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:18 AM
Courtier

My mother is also a huge fan of the royals, mainly the British royal family. I too can remember sitting in front of the tele watching Charles and Diana's wedding, the street party happening outside. I don't really talk to my family about my hobby, my daughter shares my interest a little, usually the jewelry, gowns and wedding dresses.
They have their interests and I have mine.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:33 AM
Courtier

My family doesn't share my interest unfortunately, but they tolerate it. My mom did watch camilla and charles' wedding with me though. And she likes the jewels. lol Neither do my friends (share my interest) ... which is sad, the only time I really feel understood is on TRF. We are like a big, happy family here.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:40 AM
Serene Highness

No one in my family has an iota of interest in royalty. Most aren't even familiar with the royal families outside of the Windsors and the Grimaldis (Pss. Grace was American, after all). My mother is actually indignant at the thought that people have to pay for royalty in most countries and thinks in this day and age it's disgusting. Most of my circles (and this encompasses every sort of "clique" from intellecutals working on their Ph.ds to sucessful professionals, to secretaries and housewives) think monarchy is a farce and have no interest nor respect for it. Alot of ppl in my family think royals are useless parasites and actually, when asked, a friend of mine said the Russians and the French had the right idea. Royalty, outside of the soap opera aspect of it, isn't too big with the average person here. At least those I know.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:54 AM
Serene Highness

my mom is the only one in my family who's aware of royalty apart from me but she's mostly there for the gossip and light news. she's read my copy of Queen Noor's book, though.

my high school female classmates back then were only interested in Prince William because he's cute (too bad they haven't discovered Amedeo or Andrea ) and my friends and colleagues who see me surfing TRF think that this is a hobby or an interest unique to a nerd like me. pooh.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:40 AM
Heir Apparent

My friends and family think my interest is very odd. My bestfriend's boyfriend hates the British royal family (he calls them parasites). My other friends think european is useless and responsible for spreading white supremacy (through colonialism) throughout the world. And for the most part I a gree with them on that but I'm still interested in the magic and majesty. They know I'm aware that royalty are just as human as me and are no any less fallible than anyone else. But with all their skepticism they will buy me royalty books etc. and they ask question when something makes the news so they all love me enough to support my interests.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:41 AM
Serene Highness

Im not interested in royalty, but in the Grimaldis, and im not royalist at all, in fact i there are many questionable things about. My mother is the only one who knows of my fascination on the Monaco family and she thinks i spend a lot of money in magazines.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:39 PM
Gentry

at first my family didn't know about me being interested in royals, and after they found out my mum started teasing me about it, like saying: "well that doesn't work like that in this family, maybe choose thewrong family u should have been born as a princess/queen"...and my friends don't know..i didn't tell them, and i won't cos they wouldn't understand why, ...i don't even know why...
Old 10-02-2006, 07:37 PM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative Spain

My family doesn't share my interest with me.. but I don't care really because ... I have you guys!
Old 10-02-2006, 08:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

What first got me interested was when Charles and Diana got engaged she was only a year older than I was. I remember thinking my god! I am only in high school and she's marrying the next king. Of course, if I had come to my parents at that age and said I was going to marry a man that much older, I probobly would still be locked in my room. On our first night in our new home, my husband and I heard about the fatal crash. He stayed up hours with me watching the coverage. What a guy!
Old 10-02-2006, 08:38 PM
Heir Apparent

my fiancee is swedish and he's a passionate Monarchist/Royalist, he's also a part of this forum and spends more time here than I do! (check out my post count and you'll realize how obsessed he is! )
we hang around the forum and are teaching our children the same, our twins are 6 and already know who's everybody in the Swedish, Spanish and British Royal Families...
my mother is norwegian and likes the royalty in a pure historical sense, but she was very fond of King Olav (King Harald's father)
Old 10-02-2006, 08:53 PM
Courtier

My husband, an American, thinks it's a waste of time. He thinks I should be doing something more productive. Aside from the British, he has no idea who anyone else is. He also thinks that royals should work and does not understand the concept of royalty...He loves me and is happy that I love reading about royalty...he teases me, however.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:25 PM
Nobility

My family members aren't that interested in royalty, maybe except my mother who bought tons of Diana books (that i found quite boring after awhile: diana's fashions, diana's makeup etc.) but they are rather surprised to see royal replies coming back to our humble little house! especially camilla's letter.