The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royal Chit Chat

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-17-2005, 10:50 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula**
I feel a lil bit lost, because nobody in my family share the love in royals that I have. I just can't explain why Im a royal watcher :(
They thing Im a lil bit fool, so I dont even talk about royals in front of then
ya , thats sad =/
this is how I always explain it: everyone around me knows (if they don't I'll happily remind them that I have a thing for history: medieval stuff, castles, Victorian architecture, great world leaders like Churchill or the various Roosevelts, you name it. So in a way, interest in royalty is nothing more than a natural extension of a sincere interest in history.

At least, that's the way I tend to 'spin' it, but all the same, it's true, too: I've enjoyed many a thread on this very forum dedicated to royals of the past, places they lived, etc. I even dare to venture that thru this forum, I've learned quite a bit, about Russia's royal house for example, definitely a family whose fate was intertwined with historic events.

Of course, in discussing royals, there tends to be a tad of gossip, too. How could there not be? Most of us don't know the subject matters personally.

So next time anyone questions your interest in this forum for example, just tell them you're interested in all things history, including royal houses. No one can argue with that! :)

Old 12-18-2005, 05:44 AM
Commoner

I was brought up in a monarchist family, but no one is as passionate as I am on the subject except maybe my brother. Everyone else, especially my husband, thinks I'm nuts!
It really upsets me when people make ignorant, ill informed comments about the royal (British) family. I often find myself coming to their defence.

Old 12-22-2005, 04:58 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
this is how I always explain it: everyone around me knows (if they don't I'll happily remind them that I have a thing for history: medieval stuff, castles, Victorian architecture, great world leaders like Churchill or the various Roosevelts, you name it. So in a way, interest in royalty is nothing more than a natural extension of a sincere interest in history.

At least, that's the way I tend to 'spin' it, but all the same, it's true, too: I've enjoyed many a thread on this very forum dedicated to royals of the past, places they lived, etc. I even dare to venture that thru this forum, I've learned quite a bit, about Russia's royal house for example, definitely a family whose fate was intertwined with historic events.

Of course, in discussing royals, there tends to be a tad of gossip, too. How could there not be? Most of us don't know the subject matters personally.

So next time anyone questions your interest in this forum for example, just tell them you're interested in all things history, including royal houses. No one can argue with that! :)
It's funny, thats what I tell my kids, this is history I'm reading, not gossip! and my son (9 years) says: mum, again you and your history!
Old 12-23-2005, 12:45 AM
Courtier

It's one of those things that I keep for myself and myself only.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:52 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie
It's funny, thats what I tell my kids, this is history I'm reading, not gossip! and my son (9 years) says: mum, again you and your history!
of course, the 'history' spin works only up to a point, and decidedly not with clever 9-year-olds! Which means we'll have to come up with a new one for you auntie! (a new good 'reason', not a new nine-year-old!
Old 12-23-2005, 05:31 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
of course, the 'history' spin works only up to a point, and decidedly not with clever 9-year-olds! Which means we'll have to come up with a new one for you auntie! (a new good 'reason', not a new nine-year-old!
Quite right, princess Olga, he wants to understand what ladies in low cut ballgowns have to do with History
Old 12-23-2005, 07:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie
...they couldn't understand what was so exciting about Camilla wearing a Durbar Tiara? Go explain...
Yeah, like I could explain the significance of Camilla wearing the tiara! Not that I didn't try but they (my family, friends, everyone) just shake me off or say "So what?".
Frankly the attitude of my family and friends towards my interest in Royalty can be described in one sentence; they think I am a nutter and urge me "o come back on the solid land". As if I am dreaming of be Princess or something! But no, I just like to be in touch with the news, to learn more stuff. But I know that it will be much better (both for me and my family and friends) not to talk about Royalty in their presence but that's really hard!
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 12-23-2005, 09:47 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Marie
It really upsets me when people make ignorant, ill informed comments about the royal (British) family. I often find myself coming to their defence.
Absolutely! While I don't face such opposition (both of my parents are very strong believers in the value of our monarchy) at home, in some social circles such as university, it is amazing that people can believe the nature of thier opinions without ever having sought facts.

I do get a few jokes thrown in my direction to antagonise, but it's rarely a problem.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:28 PM
Aristocracy

Around the Camilla and Charles got married in April was when I got interested. I have never been that interested in royalty before. I watched Diana's wedding but I never got into Diana. I vaguely remember the soap opera of the 1990's but I never paid much attention to it. A reporter mentioned 30 year affair, being between reading material I had I'd do some light reading on it. By June, it stopped being light reading.Since then my primary reading has been on Camilla and what surrounds her. I was just interested in what was so special about Camilla and have grown to like her a lot. It never occured to me she would become my hobby.
A few side effects have occured due to this. I realized if I read the English papers instead of my local paper Bush isn't mentioned as much. So now I know more of what is happening in UK then my own country. And that after 6 years of Bush, he is turning me into a royalist which I find mildy concerning being an American :)
My Mother and two people at work know only because I started defending C&C being in America.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:44 PM
Commoner

Most of my family and friends dont really know about my interest in royalty. My sister knows im a little interested, but thats it. I'd rather keep it to myself.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:08 PM
Nobility

Most of my friends an relatives think me nutty, too. I have been interested in royals since the sixties, exactly since the wedding of Anne-Marie and Konstantin. I was very young at that time. Later at school other pupils and even later other students were interested in filmstars or popstars, but I never had the least that interest in them. It has always been the royals for me!
Old 01-05-2006, 08:24 PM
Nobility

Nobody in my family or friends share my love for royals. They all know I always loved all things about this (only is necessary to see my favs books) but they no share it... my siblings because they are younger than me and everything that are not Harry Potter don't deserve their attencion and my parents... one word: taxes.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:35 PM
Nobility

My family sort of tease me sometimes but it's all in fun. They're not too interested in royalty but a few of my family members will listen to me when I tell then about royals. It's actually the same thing with all my friends.
(post 200! woot! )
Old 01-09-2006, 12:35 PM
Aristocracy

My family just laughs with me when I tell something about royalty(most of the time they don't listen), and they tease me because once I said that I would like to marry a prince and want to live in a castle (I love castles) and they say: "when you bring home your boyfriend for the first time we'll ask him "where is your castle". Sometimes I can laugh with it but I'm getting tired of it. When I'm watching "royalty" ( a program about royals on belgian television) they say: "don't disturbe her she's looking at 'her program', but I don't mind and I just look at it every week. I'm glad I found this site so I know that there are more people interested in royalty.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:49 PM
Nobility

My close family and friends know that I have an interest in the British Royal Family (and my mother and grandmother are slightly interested too - not to the extent I am though), and my mother has bought me memorabillia and we visited Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle together a couple of years ago.

When I was younger I had a crush on Prince William and wrote him a couple of letters, and now, years and years later my family won't let me live it down and tease me if he comes on the TV.

However, they don't know I am a member of this forum and follow other European royal families, as I don't talk about it much as they don't share my interest.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:31 PM
Nobility

The only person that knows I'm interested in this is my grandfather. He doesn't think anything of it he just thinks its another one of my hobbies or whatever. Sometimes he'll ask me questions about it but thats about it.

Old 01-09-2006, 09:58 PM
Gentry

I have no problem being a royalist. My family is fine with it. They jsut sort of laugh it off but they don't really poke fun at it. My friends all listen patiently and after awile they might finally break down and say they don't care but most of them aren't supprised by me loving royalty. I'm a bit of an excentric myself and it just seems so fitting of my personality ot be a royalist. Love love and all that
-Russian Proverb
Old 01-09-2006, 10:10 PM
Gentry

Why are all of you so ashamed of liking royalty? I'm a Royalist through and through and always have been and it's part of me. It's something you like. You don't hide that you like soft drinks from people so why hide liking royalty. I think you're all being rather silly about this.
-Russian Proverb
Old 01-10-2006, 11:06 AM
Nobility

I'm not talking much about it besides i don't think that any of my familly members or my friends share the same hobby with me.I don't know if i can say i'm exactly a ''Royalist'' because i'm only interested in Charlotte's and Pierre's lives..I also find Alexandra of Hannover very funny but that's all..
I don't find it stupid as a hobby but the others do because in France we don't have a royal familly anymore :(
Old 01-10-2006, 02:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhinala
Why are all of you so ashamed of liking royalty? I'm a Royalist through and through and always have been and it's part of me. It's something you like. You don't hide that you like soft drinks from people so why hide liking royalty. I think you're all being rather silly about this.
You should not refer it (being ashamed of liking/following royalty) to all the posters, at least I don’t have such as feeling:) . I don't find that every poster here wrote something about being ashamed of liking royal (just one or two, I have noticed so far). Most of them have explained how their family/friend/colleague reacts when knowing their hobby in following royalty. I just noticed that unfortunately not every person gives a nice reaction while knowing that we like following royalty thing.