Pronunciation of Royal Names

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BeatrixFan

Majesty , Royal Blogger, TRF Author
City
London
Country
United Kingdom
How are certain royal names pronounced?

Beatrix - I pronounce it as Bay-ah-tricks but I've heard it pronounced as Bee-Tricks

Margrethe - I pronounce it as Mar-gray-dah but I've heard it pronounced as Mar-Gretta

Haakon - I believe its pronounced as Hoo-Konn and not Har-Konn as I originally pronounced it

Fabiola - Is it Faby-Olah or Fab-io-lah? I say Fab-io-lah

Joachim - I hear it most commonly as Yo-ah-Kimm but I was told by a Danish pal that its actually York-Im.

BeatrixFan said:
Beatrix - I pronounce it as Bay-ah-tricks but I've heard it pronounced as Bee-Tricks
Bay-ah-tricks is just the way to pronounce it. No Bee-Tricks, please. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great idea Bay-ah-tricks fan!
Fabiola Being a Latin name, you would expect it to sound like Faby-Olah, but I guess she would be called like that only in Italy or Spain. So I go for Fab-io-lah, like we French pronounce it.
I don't understand why you put a a at the end of Margrethe's name...

Also, I have always wondered about Mette-Marit. How do you pronounce that?

Re:

LOL. Brownie points for me! ;)

Re:

Well, apparantly its the 'the' on the end of Margrethe that makes it dah.

I was told that Mette-Marit was May-deh Marid - the t's basically sounding like d's but I can't be 100% on that.

I don't follow you on Fabiola. Its either Fab-ee-oh-la or Fab-yo-la

Yes, how is Haakon pronounced? And how is Willem pronounced? Is it Vill-em or Vil-yem? O and how about Constantijn, is it Kon-stan-ti-yen? Or how about Johan Friso? Is it Free-ssoh or Free-zoh?

Wow, BeatrixFan what a good can of worms you opened here!

Fabiola = Fah Bee O Lah (the stress is on the O)

My norwegian neighbour says Mette Marit so nicely, i cant and wont attempt to try and pronounce it here. But it sounds nice:)
I keep pestering him to say Mette Marit and he is annoyed at me now lol

Also, Mr Burns on The Simpsons says Queen Bee-atrix. But obviously that is the wrong way since its the English way of saying it. Do you remember that episode where he talks about his friendship with Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands?

Last edited:
I made a sound-file with the name of the Norwegian royal family. Norwegian pronounciation varies from where in the country you come from, though. the file

It sounds so cool Norwegianne! The best are, in my opinion Mette-Marit and Martha Luise.

Re:

Also, Mr Burns on The Simpsons says Queen Bee-atrix

Do tell! When did Mr Burns mention Beatrix?! - How funny!

Thanks for the file Norwegianne! :)

Thanks for the link Norwegianne! I love the way you say Haakon Magnus, Harald and Mette-Marit!

BeatrixFan said:
Do tell! When did Mr Burns mention Beatrix?! - How funny!

Thanks for the file Norwegianne! :)

Burns' head (on Homer's shoulder), "But Homer, tonight's our reception for Queen Beatrix of The Netherlands!"
Its here:
http://www.snpp.com/guides/foreign.html
it meantions all countries talked about in The Simpsons.

Sorry to get off topic :(

Last edited:
Thanks for that Norwegianne. Very interesting!

Re:

Thanks Australian!

I've seen that episode so many times and never heard it! I'll be watching all the Halloween repeats now!

You're welcome. I made it because there was a bit of discussion around Ingrid Alexandra's birth, regarding the pronounciation of the name Ragnhild. (Juliamontague, I made it in Garageband.)

norwegianne- I must say your English is really good.

For any of you in Belgium- How do you pronounce Mathilde. I thought it might be like Ma-thild-a but I'm probably WAY off (I know I am :eek: )

norwegianne said:
You're welcome. I made it because there was a bit of discussion around Ingrid Alexandra's birth, regarding the pronounciation of the name Ragnhild. (Juliamontague, I made it in Garageband.)

Last edited:
Lady Jennifer said:
norwegianne- I must say your English is really good.

For any of you in Belgium- How do you pronounce Mathilde. I thought it might be like Ma-thild-a but I'm probably WAY off (I know I am :eek: )

It's like MA-Til-de:)

Thanks Emilia. I knew I had hacked up her name....how many of you cringed when you saw that one? ;) I think its a beautiful name but I could never name my child that because I would always mess it up. :D

Emilia said:
It's like MA-Til-de:)

Idriel said:
Great idea Bay-ah-tricks fan!
Fabiola Being a Latin name, you would expect it to sound like Faby-Olah, but I guess she would be called like that only in Italy or Spain. So I go for Fab-io-lah, like we French pronounce it.

In Italy Fabiola is pronounced Fab-io-lah as well. It became a popular name in the 60's.

Lady Jennifer said:
Thanks Emilia. I knew I had hacked up her name....how many of you cringed when you saw that one? ;) I think its a beautiful name but I could never name my child that because I would always mess it up. :D

That's my problem tooo:D
English names like Courtney Cox , I don't know how to pronouce it:)
( I say always country ):rolleyes:

But Mathilda also excist in Belgium;)

Emilia said:
That's my problem tooo:D
English names like Courtney Cox , I don't know how to pronouce it:)
( I say always country ):rolleyes:

But Mathilda also excist in Belgium;)

I'm not American (Australian actually), but I think the pronounciation of the name Courtney is the same in both countries.
Cort-nee.

Yea that is how you pronounce Courtney.
How do you say Luana & Claus-Casimir? Is Luana pronounced Lu-Ana (I've heard Luanna in America or some variation of it)? And Casimir I won't even try because I'll really mess it up :).

Layla1971 said:
I'm not American (Australian actually), but I think the pronounciation of the name Courtney is the same in both countries.
Cort-nee.

Lady Jennifer said:
Yea that is how you pronounce Courtney.
How do you say Luana & Claus-Casimir? Is Luana pronounced Lu-Ana (I've heard Luanna in America or some variation of it)? And Casimir I won't even try because I'll really mess it up :).

It's something like LU-AAnAA:)

And Claus is like clothes without the T:D
and CaSImIr

Luana: L U (like in jUne) A (like the U in lUck) N A (like the U in lUck)

Casimir: C (like in Cat) A (like U in lUck) S I (like an e) M I (like an e) R

Maybe some Dutch members can help out: Catherina-Amalia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom