Pronunciation of Royal Names

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re:

And Aimee? Is it Ay-Mee?

Layla1971 said:
Maybe some Dutch members can help out: Catherina-Amalia?

It's something like Cathaareenaa - Aamaaleeaa.

For as far that's helping you, Layla! ;)
The aa's are actually quite long.

BeatrixFan said:
And Aimee? Is it Ay-Mee?

It's a French name, so it's mor something like ea-may (like 'ea' in a word as 'wear' and 'may' as 'way', but even than it's not exactly the same).

Hmmm, difficult topic, this. ;)

Maxie said:
It's something like Cathaareenaa - Aamaaleeaa.

For as far that's helping you, Layla! ;)
The aa's are actually quite long.

Thanks Maxie!
I understand the Catherina part, but Amalia, I always end up pronouncing it - Amay-lee-aa!:eek:

Layla1971 said:
Thanks Maxie!
I understand the Catherina part, but Amalia, I always end up pronouncing it - Amay-lee-aa!:eek:

Hahaha, that's cool! Just skip the 'may' part and change it into an aa (the same as the last and first vowel of Amalia). Than you have it. :D

Maxie said:
Hahaha, that's cool! Just skip the 'may' part and change it into an aa (the same as the last and first vowel of Amalia). Than you have it. :D

Thanks again! I think I've got it now!:)

Norwegienne, Thanks for the sound file. That was really informative. I also read these names and wonder how to pronounce them. One thing I have found helpful is to listen to the video links people post -- like yesterday I heard Beatrix on one of the news reports of the wedding. But like many Americans on this forum, I thought Beatrix was pronounced Bee and found out it was Bay. Aimee, I knew because it is our dog's name, which one of my children chose because they have a French friend with that name and liked the "M-A" pronunciation.

What a fun thread!

Hi Maxie,

How do you pronounce Willem in Willem-Alexander. Is it Vil-em or Vil-yem?

I also get confused with Constantijn's name. Is it Constant-ee-yen?

Re:

I've always said 'W'illem and not Villem but I suppose it could be Villem - I find the Dutch Accent very hard to latch onto. It seems to be a lot of running K's - the Danish one sounds very soft and is equally tricky to try and catch. For me anyway!

ysbel said:
Hi Maxie,

How do you pronounce Willem in Willem-Alexander. Is it Vil-em or Vil-yem?

I also get confused with Constantijn's name. Is it Constant-ee-yen?

Hi Ysbel, It's with a W and not with a V. That's first. Then it is Wil-em. :)

Constantijn is something like Con-stan-teyn, The ij is in fact one sound in Dutch, so the i and the j belong together and make together something that sounds like 'ey' in 'hey'.

Very difficult for French people, I dare say. I've studied in Paris and from time to time I gave some 'Dutch lessons' to my friends there. There weren't much French people who could say the 'ij' properly. But then I must say: Dutch really has weird sounds in it. :rolleyes:

Maxie said:
But then I must say: Dutch really has weird sounds in it. :rolleyes:

To me it also sounds like someone is getting ready to spit when hearing it (no offense to anyone). I just can't understand it....I've understood a few words, but thats about it.
How do you pronounce Bernhard...is it Bern-ard (the h being silent)?

Lady Jennifer said:
To me it also sounds like someone is getting ready to spit when hearing it (no offense to anyone). I just can't understand it....I've understood a few words, but thats about it.
How do you pronounce Bernhard...is it Bern-ard (the h being silent)?

It's with a little 'h'. That's how I myself say it. But then again, I'm from the south of the Netherlands so maybe I pronounce things a bit different. Those spitting people Lady Jennifer is talking about of course all live in the North...

Just joking!! :p

Princess Maxima said:
It is Catharina-Amalia not Catherina-Amalia

I was reading a thread and it just said Catherina, but you're more likely to be right! Thanks for the correction Princess Maxima!:)

How do you pronounce Fürst Hans-Adam and Fürstin Marie Aglaë? Is Hans pronounced Hah-ns, or is it pronounced Han-s? And how is Aglaë pronounced?

Here's one I've been wondering about for ages...Laetitia as in Laetitia Maria

...sOfIa.... said:
Here's one I've been wondering about for ages...Laetitia as in Laetitia Maria

I think it would be La-tee-sha, but I'm probably wrong!:eek:

For the name Catharina-Amalia is the first part said with a "th" like in the English word "think", or is it pronounced with a "t" sound?

This is a cool topic, so thanks to the people who know the right way to say everything!

Lyle said:
For the name Catharina-Amalia is the first part said with a "th" like in the English word "think", or is it pronounced with a "t" sound?

This is a cool topic, so thanks to the people who know the right way to say everything!

I think it sounds like a "t".:)

Layla1971 said:
I think it would be La-tee-sha, but I'm probably wrong!:eek:

It would most likely be Lé-tee-sy-a. I know hiw to pronounce it, not how to explain.

Danielane said:
It would most likely be Lé-tee-sy-a. I know hiw to pronounce it, not how to explain.

So is the 'sy' part pronounced like a 'c' - Lé-tee-c-a?

Layla1971 said:
So is the 'sy' part pronounced like a 'c' - Lé-tee-c-a?

Lé-tee-c-i-a. You need to separate and pronounce -tia "c-i-a".

Danielane said:
Lé-tee-c-i-a. You need to separate and pronounce -tia "c-i-a".

Sorry to ask so many times, but is that like - Lé-tee-c-i-a?

Does anyone know how to pronounce Aimée's last name Söhngen?

Layla1971 said:
Does anyone know how to pronounce Aimée's last name Söhngen?

Oops, that's really difficult.

That's something like S-ø (you know the Scandinavian thing) - n - g (the Dutch way, which is not very common in other languages) -en.

So it's Søhn-gen or something like that. But as I said, it's difficult...:rolleyes:

Maxie said:
Oops, that's really difficult.

That's something like S-ø (you know the Scandinavian thing) - n - g (the Dutch way, which is not very common in other languages) -en.

So it's Søhn-gen or something like that. But as I said, it's difficult...:rolleyes:

I suppose it's like how you would pronounce a Swedish name. I have a Swedish friend and her last name is pronounced similarly, because of the ø.

Layla1971 said:
I suppose it's like how you would pronounce a Swedish name. I have a Swedish friend and her last name is pronounced similarly, because of the ø.

Yes, it is. The ö is also a German sound which we sometimes see in Dutch too. :)

Maxie said:
Yes, it is. The ö is also a German sound which we sometimes see in Dutch too. :)

For English speakers, you make the sound by forming your lips into an o and then saying e.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom