Pronunciation of Royal Names

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Metah-MARit, that's how it sounded to me. And Haakon is HOkahn. Are these names common in Norway? Sorry if it has been asked already.

Meraude stated earlier in this thread, that there are 24 women in Norway, who have "Mette-Marit" as their given name. I don't know about "Haakon".

Metah-MARit, that's how it sounded to me. And Haakon is HOkahn. Are these names common in Norway? Sorry if it has been asked already.
There are 2366 men with first name Haakon. And as stated before, 24 Mette-Marit's. But then there are 9789 women with Mette as their first name and 27368 Marit's, the name seems to be hugely popular in the 50's.

Haakon is a very old norse name; you find it in all the old sagas (like Knut, Olof, etc.)

Thank you for the video.Mette Marit is a beautiful name and it should be more popular.

Does Prince Rainier's name pronounced as "Ray-Nee-Ay" in French? In English, the pronounciation is much different, the name Rainier in English is pronounced as "Ray-Nee-Er".

Guillaume..

Can someone tell me how is Guillaume pronounced? Damn I cant even spell it..
Probably its a lready discussed but I checked 1-6 pages and gave up..

Can someone tell me how is Guillaume pronounced? Damn I cant even spell it..
Probably its a lready discussed but I checked 1-6 pages and gave up..

Guillaume is pronounced "Giyom".
("G" as in "Gordon", "i" as in "Isabel", "y" as in "York", "o" as in "Orlando" and "m" as in "Mary").

How do you pronounce the name Irene in Spanish? When referring to little Irene Urdangarin, I pronounce it like this: "Eye-Reene", but my mother pronounces it as "Eye-Reign-A". Which one is correct/the most accurate?

How do you pronounce the name Irene in Spanish? When referring to little Irene Urdangarin, I pronounce it like this: "Eye-Reene", but my mother pronounces it as "Eye-Reign-A". Which one is correct/the most accurate?

Based on Spanish pronunciation, I think its EE rey ney

Well, I'm not very good with explaining pronunciations but I'll try.

He-reh-neh (that this makes sense?)

I'll try to explain better:
The sound of I in spanish(and portuguese) is the same as the word HE in english (He of he, she, it)
the sound of R is a bit like re in the word inteResting
And both E in Irene are open like the in word Helmet

Based on Spanish pronunciation, I think its EE rey ney

Well, I'm not very good with explaining pronunciations but I'll try.

He-reh-neh (that this makes sense?)

I'll try to explain better:
The sound of I in spanish(and portuguese) is the same as the word HE in english (He of he, she, it)
the sound of R is a bit like re in the word inteResting
And both E in Irene are open like the in word Helmet

Thank you both for your answers. Now I know the correct pronunciation! ;) :)

Here is how I pronounce some of the royals names (some of them may be wrong):

Princess Eugenie: "You-Jane-E"
Queen Margrethe: "Mar-Gar-Reeth"
Heinrik, Prince Consort: "Hine-Rick"
Princess Letizia: "Let-Eeth-E-A"
Queen Rania: "Reign-E-A" (I do believe that the correct pronunciation is "Raan-E-A")
Crown Princess Mette-Marit: "Met-E-Mar-It"

Also, I pronounce the Prince of Orange's name as "William Alexander," but as the name William is spelt Willem in Dutch, is their another way of pronouncing it?

Princess Eugenie pronounces her name: You-gen-nee (as she says "Like use-your-knees").

I always wondered how to say Mette-Marit, thanks Hereditary Princess.

Also, I pronounce the Prince of Orange's name as "William Alexander," but as the name William is spelt Willem in Dutch, is their another way of pronouncing it?

in dutch it would be will-am where you pronounce the "am" basically as saying M in the alphabet

Princess Eugenie pronounces her name: You-gen-nee (as she says "Like use-your-knees").

that's what i thought as well, more like you-genie like in aladdin ;)

Last edited:

I always wondered how to say Mette-Marit, thanks Hereditary Princess.

You're welcome, Molly. Also, when pronouncing Marit, I pronounce the first part like Mar as in "Marry". :flowers:

in dutch it would be will-am where you pronounce the "am" basically as saying M in the alphabet

Thank you :). I had a go at pronouncing it and it sounded something like "Will-M."

Last edited:

Queen Rania: "Reign-E-A" (I do believe that the correct pronunciation is "Raan-E-A")
I believe Rania "Reign-E-A" is what english speakers say the name but in Arabic (and latin derived countries) say "Raan-E-A", so the later is the right pronunciation.

Princess Eugenie: "You-Jane-E"
Queen Margrethe: "Mar-Gar-Reeth"
Heinrik, Prince Consort: "Hine-Rick"
Princess Letizia: "Let-Eeth-E-A"
Crown Princess Mette-Marit: "Met-E-Mar-It"

Princess Eugenie is YOO-zhen-ee

Margrethe sounds more like Margretta ( no "th" sound)

Henrik (not Heinrik) is more like HEN-rik

Does anyone know if Willem is pronounced with the English "w" sound in Dutch?

I believe its Will-M (or will-em)

The Danish pronunciation for Margethe is mar-gray-der with a long "gray" and a very short "der". For years I thought it was mar-greth!

I believe Rania "Reign-E-A" is what english speakers say the name but in Arabic (and latin derived countries) say "Raan-E-A", so the later is the right pronunciation.

Thank you :flowers:. I prefer the Arabic pronunciation.

Princess Eugenie is YOO-zhen-ee

Margrethe sounds more like Margretta ( no "th" sound)

Henrik (not Heinrik) is more like HEN-rik

Does anyone know if Willem is pronounced with the English "w" sound in Dutch?

Thank you for your pronunciations. :)

For me the english pronunciation of Eugenie is extremely confusing. For me it's a french name and I would pronounce it that way. It also sounds better..

For me the english pronunciation of Eugenie is extremely confusing. For me it's a french name and I would pronounce it that way. It also sounds better..

Hello
Eugenie is a greek name, pronounce: EVGENIA (stress on i), and means something like "nice gene/generation"
A the same word with stress n the 2nd E means gentleness.

Hello
Eugenie is a greek name, pronounce: EVGENIA (stress on i), and means something like "nice gene/generation"
A the same word with stress n the 2nd E means gentleness.

Thanks. I didn't know that. I like this name I just don't like the english pronunciation of it.

Yes, the Dutch pronounce a W in the same way as the English.
I don't think it's that simple. When I listen to Dutch speakers on the internet pronounce Willem, it sounds more like the English "v" sound.

I listened to these examples:

Pronunciations for willem in Dutch

To my ears, it sounds just like the English "v" sound in most of those examples, or perhaps in between "v" and "w" for some of them.

^ I agree, Lady Kathleen!

BTW, this website is amazing

I don't think it's that simple. When I listen to Dutch speakers on the internet pronounce Willem, it sounds more like the English "v" sound.

I listened to these examples:

Pronunciations for willem in Dutch

To my ears, it sounds just like the English "v" sound in most of those examples, or perhaps in between "v" and "w" for some of them.

Actually now I come to think of it I believe you could be right that it is somewhere in between a v and w. The English word "when" should be pronounced as if it were spelt "hwen" and if spoken quickly you kind of get a mixture of v and w together, which is how I think the Dutch w sounds. Lol are we any nearer??!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom