Pronunciation of Royal Names

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know how to pronounce Naviyd?

Translation of Elizabeth in Hungarian:
Erzsébet

Pronounce: ER-zhay-bet

So many people wonder: Why is there an R?

I'm probably asking a stupid question, but how does one pronounce Edinburgh, as in the Duke of Edinburgh, correctly?
I live in the US so I hear most people say ee-din-burg but I've also heard ee-din-burr-uh and eh-din-bruh.

I'm probably asking a stupid question, but how does one pronounce Edinburgh, as in the Duke of Edinburgh, correctly?
I live in the US so I hear most people say ee-din-burg but I've also heard ee-din-burr-uh and eh-din-bruh.

The second is correct: ed-din-burr-uh.
That is whay I usually hear on BBC.

I don't think it's that simple. When I listen to Dutch speakers on the internet pronounce Willem, it sounds more like the English "v" sound.

I listened to these examples:

Pronunciations for willem in Dutch

To my ears, it sounds just like the English "v" sound in most of those examples, or perhaps in between "v" and "w" for some of them.

Exactly, the english W is 'rounder' than the Dutch 'w' which is indeed somewhere in between the 'v' and 'w' in English.

My husband's name starts with the same letters and he needed to Americanize the pronunciation of his name for people to understand it was supposed to be written with a 'w'. The Dutch 'v' on the other hand ('van Oranje') hardly differs in pronunciation from the 'f'.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom