Pronunciation of Royal Names

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you pronounce Eugenie/Eugenia in English, French and Spanish?

How do you pronounce the name Maud, like Maud Angelica Behn or Queen Maud or Norway?
Norwegianne uploaded a file a while ago, where you could hear all the norwegian names, also Maud, but unfortunately it is not there anymore.
It was really interesting, and some things are really different if you hear them, cannot be explained.

Norwegianne uploaded a file a while ago, where you could hear all the norwegian names, also Maud, but unfortunately it is not there anymore.
It was really interesting, and some things are really different if you hear them, cannot be explained.
The file is still there for anybody interested in the Norwegian names, spoken slowly:
http://norwegianne.net/543.aif :flowers:

Is the new Belgian Princess's name pronounced
El-lay-a-nora?

And to that end, is Infanta Leonor
Lay-o-nor

Does anyone know how to pronounce Prince Félix's name? With the accent I doubt its Fee-lix, but Fay-lix the way the é is pronounced in my French classes doesn't seem right either. 0-o

In the Prince Felix Feature on youtube Guillaume says his name in the first couple of seconds and it sounds like Fee-lix to me but you might want to go on youtube and check it out

Does anyone know how to pronounce Prince Félix's name? With the accent I doubt its Fee-lix, but Fay-lix the way the é is pronounced in my French classes doesn't seem right either. 0-o

The link posted by Norwegianne works fine here! Thank you for your link Norwegianne! :flowers: But it takes some time to download here. So far, in 10 minutes, I've only heard Harald, Sonja and Haakon Magnus. :D Slow computer here! Yupp!!

Not easy to be a foreigner trying to learn Norwegian! :eek: :bang: :)

It works fine for me too, but you have to download it.

How do you pronounce Eugenie/Eugenia in English, French and Spanish?

Eugenia in Spanish would be pronounced yoo-hen-nia (The sound of H in the second syllable is 'raspier' and harder in than in English).

And to that end, is Infanta Leonor
Lay-o-nor

Leonor in Spanish would be leo-nohr. The first syllable is pronounced fast and is not separately.

It's not a first name but a surname: How do you pronounce Plantagenet? More French, more English, or what else?

How are certain royal names pronounced?

Beatrix - I pronounce it as Bay-ah-tricks but I've heard it pronounced as Bee-Tricks

Margrethe - I pronounce it as Mar-gray-dah but I've heard it pronounced as Mar-Gretta

Haakon - I believe its pronounced as Hoo-Konn and not Har-Konn as I originally pronounced it

Fabiola - Is it Faby-Olah or Fab-io-lah? I say Fab-io-lah

Joachim - I hear it most commonly as Yo-ah-Kimm but I was told by a Danish pal that its actually York-Im.

Hey
My Norwegian friend told Haakon is pronounced Hakon

Beatrix - I pronounce it as Bay-ah-tricks but I've heard it pronounced as Bee-Tricks

Margrethe - I pronounce it as Mar-gray-dah but I've heard it pronounced as Mar-Gretta

Haakon - I believe its pronounced as Hoo-Konn and not Har-Konn as I originally pronounced it

Joachim - I hear it most commonly as Yo-ah-Kimm but I was told by a Danish pal that its actually York-Im.

Haakon is pronounced as Hawk - Haw-kon/Hor-kon

How is the name "Thyra" pronounced? I hope I spelled it correctly.:ermm:

It would be pronounced something like "Teera".

Dear Dutch speakers, do you pronounce the name Boudewijn exactly the same way as a French version Baudoin, like [Bo:dwä:n]?

Norwegian Names

Nina Berglund of Aftenposten Multimedia gave me the correct ways of pronouncing the names of Norway’s royal family a couple of years ago. She is terrific!

Mette-Marit: “METT-eh MAR-it” (accent on the first syllables.)

Haakon: “HO-cone” (definitely NOT “Hawk-en!”)

Mãrtha Louise: “MARE-tuh Luh-VEE-she” (Swedish pronounciation… NOT “Martha”)

Sonja: “SO-nya”

Harald: “HA-rald” (”Ha” like “rah”)

Here is a video with a reporter saying his name aroung 3:45. It sound like Fay- Lix but it could also be Fee- Lix. It is hard to tell, but my money is on Fay- Lix.

RTL.lu - Video Archiv

Anyone know how Imre is pronounced? I have never heard the Archduke's name spoken so I cannot say how it is pronounced.

Wow Thyra is so pretty. I always pronounced it Tyra, like Tyra Banks.

I asked this a few years ago and no one answered, but I'm still very curious; how is the Jose in Marie Jose (of Italy) pronounced? Whenever I see Jose I want to say it like the Spanish male name, but I'm sure thats not right for a Belgian-born female!

in italian marie jose is:(mariii giosè)
in spanish is:(marììì jose)(la j is guttural) you must hear the pronunce

in italian
Beatrix is bea-tri-ce
margrethe : mar-ghe(strong)- ri-ta
haakon: haa-con
fabiola: fa- bhio-la
joachim: gioa.kki-no

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom