The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-02-2006, 10:54 PM
Aristocracy

I have just read this post from begining to end and I think it is great, enteraining and very amusing in places. I can picture people trying to get their tongues around some of the names. I found myself attempting to master the pronounciation as I was reading along, to say the names the way you have all suggested and some are not easy with false teeth!!!!

At least I think I have solved the problem of saying the Queen of Denmarks name - it is easy - Daisy!!!!!!!!!! I believe that what she is affectionalty known as in Denmark? :) I hope so as I do not mean any disrespect

Thank you everyone for the insight into Royal name pronouncing

Kindest regards
Scott

Old 01-02-2006, 11:42 PM
Aristocracy

The names I have problems with are Mette-Marit, Sverre, and Haakon, LOL! I guess just the Norwegian names confuse me!

Emily :)

Old 01-03-2006, 12:15 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalEnquirer
The names I have problems with are Mette-Marit, Sverre, and Haakon, LOL! I guess just the Norwegian names confuse me!

Emily :)
I know what you mean. I am never sure about Haakan. HawCON, Haw CAN. and also Maertha Louise. The Louise bit is OK but is it Mart Ugh or MER ugh that confuses me. As for the new little prince's first name ?????????
I never had these problems with Olav, Maud, Harald, Sonja or even Ingrid Alexandra

Scott
Old 01-03-2006, 12:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

Ive always said it like HaKoon. And Met Ma Reet. Is Rania pronounced Ra Nee A or Ra Nya
Old 01-03-2006, 05:34 AM
Commoner

how do u pronounce prince amedeoi of belgiums name.
ie. how do u pronounce amedeo? anyone heard his name siad?
Old 01-04-2006, 04:29 AM

Mette-Marit is pronounced Me (like the 'me' in 'met') - te (like the 'te' in 'ten')Ma ('ma' as in mother) - ree (like 'rea' in 'read') - t. In fact, it sounds very much how it looks. Princess Märtha-Louise's name is much harder to teach to a non-Norwegian speaking person, as English does not have the letter ä. It is hard to explain how it sounds. Perhaps as the 'e' in 'bet' - I can not really explain it.

Sverre Magnus is pronounced S - ve (like the 'e' in 'rest' or 'best') - re (like the 'e' in 'the') Ma - hag - noos.

My brother says 'Sverre' similar to the start of 'Severus Snape' from Harry Potter, so maybe start with that as a practice!
Old 01-04-2006, 10:55 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgierose
Mette-Marit is pronounced Me (like the 'me' in 'met') - te (like the 'te' in 'ten')Ma ('ma' as in mother) - ree (like 'rea' in 'read') - t. In fact, it sounds very much how it looks. Princess Märtha-Louise's name is much harder to teach to a non-Norwegian speaking person, as English does not have the letter ä. It is hard to explain how it sounds. Perhaps as the 'e' in 'bet' - I can not really explain it.

Sverre Magnus is pronounced S - ve (like the 'e' in 'rest' or 'best') - re (like the 'e' in 'the') Ma - hag - noos.

My brother says 'Sverre' similar to the start of 'Severus Snape' from Harry Potter, so maybe start with that as a practice!
I wonder if english names sound as hard to prounounce to Norwegians
I think your explanation on how to pronounce Sverre is the best one I have heard so I will go with that!!! Thank you very much :)

Regards
Scott
Old 01-05-2006, 07:12 PM
Nobility

It's Pieter pronunced like Peter? I always said Pieter-Christiaan van Vollenhoven as Peter Christian... it's that correct?
Old 01-13-2006, 02:22 AM
Aristocracy

Can anyone tell me if Prince Philipe of Belgium pronounces his name like - Phil-Leap or is more like Prince Phillip of Great Britain's pronunciation? Thanks!
Old 01-13-2006, 06:06 PM
Courtier

Philippe would be, as you said, Phil-leap. (Say it with a French accent :))
Old 02-13-2006, 06:49 AM

Märtha-Louise's name is pronounced similar to M - air - tha. I hope this helps :)
Old 02-13-2006, 11:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Here's a new sound-file for those of you who're wondering about the Norwegian translations.

Edited: to remove the expired link, and replace with a working one.

http://norwegianne.net/543.aif
Old 02-13-2006, 08:01 PM
Aristocracy

I recently learned how to pronounce Queen Margrethe's name! It was while I was watching Jeopardy a couple of weeks ago. They flashed a picture of QM and the question was about designing costumes (i think) None of the contestants were able to identify her so the host told them who she was. Boy was I ever surprised when i heard the pronunciation...
Old 02-13-2006, 11:35 PM
Serene Highness

OK, is it maxZIMA or MAXima? :p
Old 02-14-2006, 07:06 AM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
Thanks norwegianne. :) That was great! I always wanted to know how to pronounce CP Haakon's name as well as MM and now I do. Very creative!
Old 02-15-2006, 06:38 PM
Serene Highness

Can someone post the pronunciation of Maxima? Sorry if it is a silly question, but I can think of at least 2 ways to say it. Thanks!
Old 02-15-2006, 06:57 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurberryBrit
OK, is it maxZIMA or MAXima? :p
I always say MAXima, that's why there is a little accent on the first a normally (but I can't type it here, because my alt keys aren't working...strange). :)
Old 02-16-2006, 08:32 AM
Serene Highness

Merci, Maxie.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

I love the way the Norwegians pronounce the name Mette-Marit, my neighbour is NOrwegian and i keep asking her to say it lol, it sounds really nice.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:42 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margrethe II
I dont like the way the media here in Australia calls Her Majesty the Queen Margrethe II, Queen Margaret.

I explained to my mother that if one pronounces it like Mar- great- ta then thats pretty close, if not how it is pronounced.

I am lucky enough to pick up languages easily so for me it is'nt difficult to pronounce (best thing about living in such a multi-cultural society).

"MII"
Since I don't speak Danish, I've always read and pronounced it as I would in German.. don't ask me to spell it but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Is that right? Pronouncing it or speaking it as German or am I way off the mark?