Pronunciation of Royal Names

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How is the name Silvia pronounced differently when spelt Sylivia? Don't the sound the same? or is it different in Sweden?

RoyalEnquirer said:
The names I have problems with are Mette-Marit, Sverre, and Haakon, LOL! I guess just the Norwegian names confuse me!

Emily :)
That's so true... When I've been in Norway I got to know how they speak out their names. Very funny, because you nearly cannot write it down.
Actually, the "Marit" of mette-marit sounded like "Morit" with o like in "okay".
The same goes for Harald and Olav. Sounded more like Horold and Olov. :lol:
(very strange to an non-scandinavian ear! I tell you! :rolleyes: )

Märtha-Louise always was called “Martha” with an “a” like in “after” and the “th” as a simple “t”. Marta...

Does the pronouncing differ in the several regions in Norway?? I just heard the “Bergen-accent”.

Last edited:
So Mette-Marit is pronounced...

Meta-Morit? Is this correct? :flowers:

Last edited:
Madame Royale said:
So Mette-Marit is pronounced...

Meta-Morit? Is this correct? :flowers:

I always thought it was Meta-Mary, as I have a friend named Marit and that's how she pronounces it.....like we would the name Mary.

i think many poeple got it wrong with silvias name becouse they often spell it Sylvia for me thats a different name when pronounced

But isn't her name spelled S-y-l-v-i-a? If so, it's pronounced Sill-vee-a.

Sister Morphine said:
I always thought it was Meta-Mary, as I have a friend named Marit and that's how she pronounces it.....like we would the name Mary.

My Norwegian exchange student friend also pronounces Mette-Marit like that. She prounces Marit like you would Mary.

Australian said:
My Norwegian exchange student friend also pronounces Mette-Marit like that. She prounces Marit like you would Mary.
But you have to have the t on the end when you pronounce it. It isn't a silent t :flowers:

Thank you norwegianne. I'm pretty sure the way I have pronounced it is correct then :flowers:

I think I need to hear a Norwegian pronounce it before I'm sure though.lol.

I'm still confused over how use pronounce Haakon
I remember, at the time of Christian's christening, when the Aussie news reader was saying all the godparents, she pronounced Haakon like this:
Who-kin, with the 'who' very quickly
That was what confused me, it was quite different to how I'd been pronouncing it (Haa-oh-kin)

Is any of them correct, or are they both wrong??

I think its pronounced Har-con or Har-coon.

Then again, perhaps I am wrong aswell.lol.:flowers:

Madame Royale said:
I think I need to hear a Norwegian pronounce it before I'm sure though.lol.
Here's the file I uploaded earlier with the pronounciations. I do them rather slowly.

http://norwegianne.net/543.aif

Harald, Sonja, Haakon Magnus, Mette Marit, Ingrid Alexandra, Sverre Magnus, Marius, Märtha Louise, Ari, Maud Angelica, Leah Isadora, Ragnhild, Astrid
(this link won't expire.)

Last edited:
Sister Morphine said:
But isn't her name spelled S-y-l-v-i-a? If so, it's pronounced Sill-vee-a.
Her name is Silvia with no y. Your pronounciation would be correct though.

norwegianne said:
Here's the file I uploaded earlier with the pronounciations. I do them rather slowly.

Many thanks norwegianne.

Clarified the drawl for me :flowers:

Queen Rania was on Good Morning America last week. I always thought her name was pronounce Ran-ya but Diane Sawyer called her Ron-ya. I thought maybe I was wrong since I'd never heard her name pronounce before and I posted this in their thread. It turns out I was right, her name is pronounced Ran-ya.

norwegianne said:
Here's the file I uploaded earlier with the pronounciations

Thank you very much norwegianne! I missed out on the first two links, so this is very helpful, and erases all confussion!!

norwegianne said:

Harald, Sonja, Haakon Magnus, Mette Marit, Ingrid Alexandra, Sverre Magnus, Marius, Märtha Louise, Ari, Maud Angelica, Leah Isadora, Ragnhild, Astrid

It does not work here :sad:

Danielane said:
It does not work here :sad:

It worked for me Danielane :flowers:

After clicking the link, I had to download the file.

Last edited:
norwegianne said:

Thanks.
That's the way my friend from Norway told me to pronounce the names!
It's quite hard to write it down.. so it's good to listen to it. :)
Now I know I pronounce their names right (more or less) :lol:

That's almost how we would pronounce the names in Sweden too.

I have a question- my mom and I can't decide how to pronouce the name of Belgium's late king, King Baudouin. How is it said?

I am Dutch, so I will write down all the pronouncations of the names of Dutch royals.

- Beatrix (Bay- Ah- Tricks)

- Willem-Alexander (Will-Um-Ah-Lacks-Ahn-Dar)
- Maxima (Mah- Xee- Mah)
- Catharina-Amalia (Cah- Tah-Ree-Nah- Ah-Mah-Lee- Ah)
- Alexia (Ah- Lacks- EE- Ah)

- Johan Friso (Joh- Hahn- Free- Soh)
- Mabel (May- Bal)
- Luana (Loo- Ah-Nah)
- Zaria (Zah- Ree- Ah)

- Constantijn (Con- Stahn- Tine)
- Laurentien (Low - Ran- Teen) the O in Low pronounced as in the English word ''now''.
- Eloise (Ay- Loh- Ees)
- Claus-Casimir (Clows- Cah- See- Meer) the O in Clows pronounced as in the English word ''now''.
- Leonore (Lay- Oh- Nore)

- Irene (Ee- Ray- Nuh)

- Margriet (Mar- greet)
- Pieter (Pee- tar)
- Maurits (Mow- Rits) O in Mow pronounced as in the English word ''now''
- Marilene (Mah- Ree- Lay- Nuh)
- Bernhard (Barn- Hahrd)
- Annette (Ah- Nayt- Uh)
- Pieter-Christiaan (Pee- Tar- Chris- Tee- Ahn)
- Anita (Ah- Nee- Tah)
- Floris (Flore- Is)
- Aimee (Em- Ay)

- Christina (Chris- Tee- Nah)

Thank you magnik for link! I finally learnt how to pronounce name: Guillaume :) :flowers: Its also so intereting to know, that they have names day in 10 January...
thanks again! :flowers:

I'm pretty sure this hasn't been asked; how do you pronounce Aimone?

Like Lady K, I'd also like to know how to pronounce Baudouin correctly.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure this hasn't been asked; how do you pronounce Aimone?

Like Lady K, I'd also like to know how to pronounce Baudouin correctly.

His name is pronunced Bald-win like the last name.The o is slience.

Thank you, Her Majesty! Finally I can say his name correctly!

How do you pronounce the name Maud, like Maud Angelica Behn or Queen Maud or Norway?

well Canute can be pronounced Knut, Cnut, Kanute, that's the family i'm related to on my Father's side of the family. it originated from the country Denmark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom