Pronunciation of Royal Names

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Märtha-Louise's name is pronounced similar to M - air - tha. I hope this helps :)

Here's a new sound-file for those of you who're wondering about the Norwegian translations.

Edited: to remove the expired link, and replace with a working one.

http://norwegianne.net/543.aif

Last edited:
I recently learned how to pronounce Queen Margrethe's name! It was while I was watching Jeopardy a couple of weeks ago. They flashed a picture of QM and the question was about designing costumes (i think) None of the contestants were able to identify her so the host told them who she was. Boy was I ever surprised when i heard the pronunciation...

Thanks norwegianne. :) That was great! I always wanted to know how to pronounce CP Haakon's name as well as MM and now I do. Very creative!:D

Can someone post the pronunciation of Maxima? Sorry if it is a silly question, but I can think of at least 2 ways to say it. Thanks!

BurberryBrit said:
OK, is it maxZIMA or MAXima? :p

I always say MAXima, that's why there is a little accent on the first a normally (but I can't type it here, because my alt keys aren't working...strange). :)

I love the way the Norwegians pronounce the name Mette-Marit, my neighbour is NOrwegian and i keep asking her to say it lol, it sounds really nice.

Margrethe II said:
I dont like the way the media here in Australia calls Her Majesty the Queen Margrethe II, Queen Margaret.

I explained to my mother that if one pronounces it like Mar- great- ta then thats pretty close, if not how it is pronounced.

I am lucky enough to pick up languages easily so for me it is'nt difficult to pronounce (best thing about living in such a multi-cultural society).

"MII"

Since I don't speak Danish, I've always read and pronounced it as I would in German.. don't ask me to spell it but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Is that right? Pronouncing it or speaking it as German or am I way off the mark?

How Do You Pronounce "CASIRAGHI"?

How Do You Pronounce "CASIRAGHI"?

Thanks.

:)

I'll try to explain: CA is pronounced like in the word "car", SIR as the beginning of the word "syrup", A again as the "a" in "car" and GHI as the beginning of the word "gift". Hope it is almost clear...

Kisses

Phonetically, the pronunciation is [kaziragi]

Ode said:
Phonetically, the pronunciation is [kaziragi]

Yup, that's what I have always used as well.

I was watching the True Hollywood Story of Young Royals and all of the royal watchers pronounced the "ghi" part like "hee", not "gee", I don't know if they are right or not.

it is an italian last name, therefore the correct pronunciation is ca-zir-a-ghi; the h is silent, and since the s is between two vowels, it is pronounced like z. ghi is pronunced like the g in "get". :)

Grace said:
Well the s is more like the s in "sound" than a z.

I think so, too

edited my post:
- you're Italian, aren't you - than you're right, of course!

How to pronounce;

Andrea Casiraghi is pronounced as "So Damn Fine"

Pierre Casiraghi is pronounced as "OMG! He's Gorgeous!!"

;)

BeatrixFan said:
How to pronounce;

Andrea Casiraghi is pronounced as "So Damn Fine"

Pierre Casiraghi is pronounced as "OMG! He's Gorgeous!!"

;)

hahahaha!!!!

I agree with Harley about the "s" sounding like a "z", that's how they pronounced it on t.v.

Well, in English the "z" can be pronounced in different ways, just like in Italian you can have different pronuntations of the "s". In Casiraghi you can pronounce it as a soft "z" or as a soft "s"...

Okay, never mind, you know what, why don't we just call them the castles?

In Casiraghi the *s* is pronounced like *rose*, as in French, English and German.
The *ghi* is pronounced like *Guy* in French, and *gift* in English. The third syllable is stressed:
Casiràghi.

Last edited:
Very interesting, thanks everyone! It was so good to know... :D

BurberryBrit said:
OK, is it maxZIMA or MAXima? :p
it is MA xima. The x doesn't get stressed. You have to rememer, it is Spanish, so you say it with the Spanish rules, so it is like this: MA (like mama) x (like you were going to say ma, then at the last second, changed it to max) ee (like eat, an e sound) ma.

I've been reading the thread for the king of Thailand's celebration tomarrow, and was wondering how to pronounce the names of some of the foreign royals who are coming? For starters, how about his?

Here's my list of names I don't know how to say:
Brunei
HM Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Mu'izzaddin Waddaulah

Oman
His Majesty, Sultan Qaboos bin Said

Tonga
King Taufa'ahau Tupou

Bahrain
HH Shaikh Khalifa bin Salman Al Khalifa, Prime Minister of Bahrain

Cambodia
HM Norodom Sihamoni of Cambodia

Malaysia
HM Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin Ibni Al- Marhum Tuanku Syed Putra Jamalullail, the Yang di-Pertuan Agong of Malaysia
HM Tuanku Fauziah binti Al- Marhum Tengku Abdul Rashid, the Raja Permaisuri Agong of Malaysia

Swaziland
HM King Mswati III of Swaziland
HRH Inkhosikati LaDube, the Royal Consort of HM the King

Interesting thread...

No one wants to know how a Swedish name is pronounced? :D

i think many poeple got it wrong with silvias name becouse they often spell it Sylvia for me thats a different name when pronounced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom