Personal Royal Experiences

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: There are specific threads in some other sub-forums I think (e.g. Sweden maybe???), RoyalProtocol, i'd so check those out if you're interested ;)

Have you ever met royals or aristocrats in the real life?

What were your impressions?

Interesting question,Lenora,
Actually i met king Michael and his family when he was in visit,after his long exile,also i saw him and his family in Timisoara, where he spent the
Easter with his family,if i remember well,in 1996,in the middle of his people,entoured by its great love and expectation,when all claimed his returnal in an unique voice and soul:"Majesty,dont leave,this is your country!"A very very impressive meet between the King and his loving people.
Some years ago,i met His Majesty and Queen Anne at their castle from Savarsin,where the organisation"Friends of King Michael" were invited.
For me to meet the King,the hero i was learnt to love from what told my parents in my childhood,when we had to hide our love ,respect and devotion because the thyranical Ceausescu"s political regime,it was like a dream came true..
Unfortunately,dreams are always too short. . .

Great! Actually I've met British Prince Michael of Kent when he visited the University in Sankt Petersburg,it was great!
Even I didn't speak to him,he held a speech for students and was very interested in Russia and youth problems.It was unexpectedly delightful!

I've seen most of the British a few times at Royal Ascot...the Queen, Duke of Edinburgh, Princess Royal, Peter Phillips, Autumn Phillips, Zara Phillips, Duke of York, Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie, Earl of Wessex, Countess of Wessex, Princess Michael of Kent, Princess Alexandra. So, quite a day! Ha.

Such a great topic. I never met a royal before but my mum did and the rest of her part of the family. My aunt for example went to Morocco for three weeks and met the king himself eight times by accident. Each time. So she met him each time when it he was not in royal duties but in private life. Why do that kind of accidently meetings not happen to me.

What would you do if...

You had the chance to meet and chat with a Royal up close. To meet a Queen, king, prince, princess, crown prince, crown princess, duke duchess, count , countess...ect.

Nothing.
If they start a conversation with me, I'd be delighted to take part in it. But as someone who values privacy above everything, I would not dream to invade another person's privacy (whether a royal, a celebrity, or "ordinary" human being) without their consent.

Sorry, I don't see them as special, so I would be polite and hope they had something of value to say.

Well, I would have to bow my head in front of them and talk to them shyly...

It would be an honor and although I would be happy and nervous I would remain calm and chat.

If I ever had the chance to meet, let alone talk to a royal, I would curtsey, then answer them if they talked to me first. Then I would go on my merry way after they went on theirs.

Depends. I, certainly, wouldn't curtsey, as that is an anachronistic and ridiculous act. I would shake hands and hope they had something of value to say.

Well, it would likely be a very brief conversation if there are many others for the royal to meet, but I would like to think that any conversation would be of value to both of us not just to me.
I would nod my head and shake hands as I always do when greeting someone.
After all that, I'd probably go all silly and tell anyone who will listen that I met a royal. Then I'd come down back to Earth and wish I was royal then wonder why. Finally, that particular royal would become my favourite.

I like your approach. Mine would be quite similar. When I had a chance to say 'hello' to Crown Princess Mary, I did feel a bit overwhelmed, but after a few seconds, it was just your typical 'are you and your husband enjoying NYC?' type of conversation. I generally try to let the other person take the lead, and feel that it's easier for me to follow, so I did just that in this particular instance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had nightmares about this (sad, I know:lol:) where I'd be so gobsmacked that I'd go into shock and curtsey (even though I am a guy) and then just stare at them.

But seriously I would bow and then wait for them to talk/offer their hand for a handshake before shaking it and then saying something like "Are you enjoying today so far, Your (insert title)". I've read that's what you're supposed to do protocol wise and I'd be too star-struck to instigate the encounter myself.

I think that if I ever met anyone from the British Royal Family, I probably would be a bit star-struck (hopefully while the said member is walking down the line and greeting others, because that would give me time to gather my wits a bit :D). I would wait for them to initiate any conversation (I did that with Mary of Denmark as well), and just hope that I won't sound like a total spaz when it was my time to contribute or show that I'm actually actively listening to what is being said.

Last year when W&K were in Los Angeles, I was in a rope line waiting to meet them with my best friend's 2 daughters (age 20) - security had moved about 20 of us up to greet them. As we were waiting I asked the girls - what are you going to say.... and they both looked at me with this dumfounded look. I told them you have 2 sec to make an impression. We werent sure if we were going to get Will or Kate as they would split to do the 2 sides. One decided to ask to be fixed up with Harry (it was before Harrys trip to San Diego) and the other was telling them she was studying at Oxford in the fall. This was all at the Beverly Hilton Hotel.....Alas - W&K ended were running behind and had to forgo the rope line and went out through the basement.

I would be tougue tied, nervous and probably would say Hello and that would be it. I would wait until they spoke to me before I spoke. I believe that would be the proper protocol

Nothing.
If they start a conversation with me, I'd be delighted to take part in it. But as someone who values privacy above everything, I would not dream to invade another person's privacy (whether a royal, a celebrity, or "ordinary" human being) without their consent.

I would do the exact same thing, I generally do not like to make people feel uncomfortable and break into their own zone.
Unless we meet for business ( I'm an interior designer), I'll talk it out like I do with all my clients without being too descriptive because I have that bad habit of going on and on about a certain vision I'm having about my work.

My first (and only) encounter with royalty was in London. I saw HM and Prince Philip in their Rolls- Royce and I was very close to their car. It was during her Jubilee last year, and I seem to remember her smiling at me!

Some of my friend's stories:

1. My friend was walking down the road near St James's Park one day, when she saw a black Bentley. She thought it was someone who lived at Downing Street, and to her surprise, the PoW and Duchess of Cornwall stepped out of the car- she was walking behind them at one point, but didn't talk to them.

2. Another friend of mine was in London when there was suddenly a big traffic jam. She told me that there was a man getting angry at the other traffic and he shouted 'who are we waiting for, the Queen?!' And just as he had predicted, the traffic jam was caused by a royal car with HM inside! We always laugh when she tells that story! :D

Last edited:
My only encounter with royalty was the only one who would visit the great State of Georgia. She was none other than the great Sarah, Duchess of York. She was selling her goods at the fair (Sarah's Garden Wedgewood at the local mall). I went to see all the fuss, and my there was a fuss. Atlanta doesn't get royals like Fergie every day at the mall. All the store employees ordered to wear smart black suits. Every bigwig of the company running around. And there she was, on a podium. Some little girl came up to her to autograph her plate and swept into the grandest curtsy I had ever seen, proud mother right behind her. She looked like a debutante in 1890 before Q. Victoria. It was the most ridiculous spectacle I had ever seen.

Last year in Wash D.C. Obama's motorcade passed us quite by chance on the street. He waived to us. What a grand moment to have the Pres. of the United States waive to you!

Did that really happen? That's hilarious. :lol:

Shaken hands with QE2, DOE and Princess Beatrice smiled at me outside York Minster last year. Was a lovely day. :flowers:

My first (and only) encounter with royalty was in London. I saw HM and Prince Philip in their Rolls- Royce and I was very close to their car. It was during her Jubilee last year, and I seem to remember her smiling at me!

And what a lovely memory to have of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee!

And what a lovely memory to have of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee!

I agree, I'll remember it for a long time!

My cousin has completed his silver certificate for the DoE's awards, and he's going to meet the Earl of Wessex, although I don't know when. He'll have tea with Prince Philip when he completes his gold!

Last edited:
I agree, I'll remember it for a long time!

My cousin has completed his silver certificate for the DoE's awards, and he's going to meet the Earl of Wessex, although I don't know when. He'll have tea with Prince Philip when he completes his gold!

One of my cousins in London did meet Prince Albert II of Monaco last summer backstage at the Olympics and he let him take his photo and said 'this is for my cousin in Ireland'.

He said the Prince was charming and just smiled!

One of my cousins in London did meet Prince Albert II of Monaco last summer backstage at the Olympics and he let him take his photo and said 'this is for my cousin in Ireland'.

He said the Prince was charming and just smiled!

I'm sure that was also a nice memory! :flowers:

I was trying to see if I could spot any royals at the Paralympics Swimming this year. Unfortunately I didn't see any...

Last edited:
I saw Princess Madeleine in JCREW in NYC
I saw Sheikha Mozah and her daughter, Sheikha Mayassah at the gym in NYC.
I didn't speak to any of them, but Sheikha Mozah walked passed me and did smile as walked by me. I said hello.

Back
Top Bottom