The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-23-2006, 01:59 PM
Serene Highness

I don't know if it counts as a "know a royal" but once I stand behind, in a line, Crown Princes of Belgium at Museu Serralves in Oporto.

They were in Portugal to attend the Christening of Dom Duarte and Doña Isabel de Bragança son.

The biggest impression I got from this short meeting was that I had never seen such a perfect cutis in a lady... and her manners were so serene, so tender and so regal... Philippe seemed a nice gentleman too but more shy and serious... she was the one that made me think "how is a princess", if you know what I mean :).

Regards,
mtbcm :)

Old 02-23-2006, 06:51 PM
Heir Apparent

I've met Queen Sofia of Spain, twice, 16 months and one year ago. She is very pretty, much much prettier than in pics, nice skin and wonderful eyes, full of light.

The first time I have been presented. She is very majestuous, a real Queen, you really feel this.

Old 02-23-2006, 08:34 PM
Commoner

The person on the left in this picture with Princess Diana is my father-in-law's cousin. He owned the silk factory that made this kimono for her. He said they were so worried that the shoes would not fit her because she was so tall! I'm not remembering exactly what that kimono cost, but I think he said it was around $40,000.00 US dollars. That's the closest I've come to meeting royalty!

Old 02-23-2006, 09:00 PM

I don't know any personally (unfortunately), but I have met Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary at a reception at the Danish Embassy. Also, my friend's father is good friends with Crown Prince Frederik, and another friend's father and uncle went out with Princess Alexandra and are friends with her.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:15 PM
Serene Highness

I've met Prince Moulay Rachid last summer in Morocco during a private party at his cousin's place , actually his cousin is also a prince , his mum is King Mohamed VI aunt ...they were so nice to people , i had a wonderful time , enjoying their company , they invited me again the week after but unfortunately i was leaving Morocco 3 days later :(
Old 02-24-2006, 07:48 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefertiti
The person on the left in this picture with Princess Diana is my father-in-law's cousin. He owned the silk factory that made this kimono for her. He said they were so worried that the shoes would not fit her because she was so tall! I'm not remembering exactly what that kimono cost, but I think he said it was around $40,000.00 US dollars. That's the closest I've come to meeting royalty!
What a great story Nefertiti! Your father-in-law's cousin's face is well known because that is a picture that was very widely published. I think it was published in pretty well every tribute magazine to Diana.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:15 PM
Gentry

i dont know any personally but have met/spoken to the duchesses of cornwall, gloucester, kent and york. earl and countess of wessex, duke of gloucester and kent, prince and princess michael of kent. queen ann-marie and princess alexia of greece, various hapsburgs and ive lost count of minor/exiled royals with names i find difficult to pronounce and spell. HRH duchess of gloucester is very sweet and didnt mind when i broke protocol a few years ago and asked after her (now late) mother-in-law and she was not shocked but simply said hrh was fine and thank you for asking. camilla has a deep voice and firm handshake as i discoverd at tywyn railway steam station last year. I also refused to shake hands and bow with the then princess of wales in cardiff and ran off back to my grandmother who was waiting in the line-up nearby but i was about five years old the time.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:32 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgy
What a great story Nefertiti! Your father-in-law's cousin's face is well known because that is a picture that was very widely published. I think it was published in pretty well every tribute magazine to Diana.
Thanks Squidgy. Sadly, he is in poor health right now. He recently turned 88 last September/October and there was to be a birthday party that my in-laws were going to attend. But he had a fall and has been in the hospital ever since.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:10 AM
Aristocracy

I just hope any royal will come to Indonesia :)

If I meet them, I will tell you the story
Old 02-25-2006, 12:03 PM
Courtier

Great stories guys! I'm looking forward to meet a royal or at least I hope so...
Old 03-07-2006, 01:37 AM
Aristocracy

I have never a royal myself (I hope to someday) But my mother has met Queen Beatrix when she was Princess Beatrix. My mother and I are from the twin nation island of St.Maarten-Netherlands/St.Martin-France. Princess Beatrix came to the island int he 60's I think and my moyher took a very good picture of her when she was leaving the courthouse. I will try to scan the picture for you guys to see.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:05 PM
Heir Apparent

I was lucky enough to be invited to be part of the Norwegian official visit to Denmark last year - as a "token Norwegian student living in Denmark". And then I was in the presence of Queen Margrethe, King Harald, Queen Sonja, and Prince Henrik - didn't talk to them, though - and was seated at the same table as Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Prince Frederik for the coffee and cake after the service. So, I've talked to the Crown Princes
Old 06-26-2006, 06:47 PM
Nobility

I was lucky enough to recieve invitations to some of the events during the 2006 Melbourne Commonwealth Games, during which time I had the pleasure of meeting HRH The Prince Philip Duke of Edinburgh and HRH THe Prince Edward Earl of Wessex. Both were very engaging in their respective presentations and later, during their conversations with the guests.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:15 PM
Aristocracy

This is a really interesting thread.
When I was 9 my school class was taken to the local train station (how glamourous!) to greet Princess Diana's arrival when she was visiting a local childrens hospice. We all stood waving our little union flags and she walked over to us to say hello. I remember that she was wearing a relly nice tartan dress (although it was in the 80's and thinking back now it was pretty terrible by todays standards!)
More recently, when I was at uni in Edinburgh, I saw Prince William in a club called the Opal Lounge. He looked quite miserble and didn't seem to be enjoying himself at all.:)
Old 06-27-2006, 05:21 PM
Aristocracy

My mother met Queen Beatrix in St.Martin in the 60s when she was Crown Princess.She even got a good picture her as she was being greeted at the airport.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:25 PM
Aristocracy

Does anybody know what to say to a Royal like how you would address them? Would you have to curtsey to them if you saw them in pblic or somethings like that? If anybody has any answers it would be greatly appreciated.
I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved. I know that I can give love for a minute, for half an hour, for a day, for a month, but I can give. I am very happy to do that, I want to do that.- Princess Diana
Old 07-04-2006, 06:18 PM
Gentry

Cool thread:-)
Ive seen the entire danish royal family....at different events and different times.
My friend and I were in front of the balcony on Crown Prince Frederiks and Mary Donalsons engagement day:-)
And I've met and spoken with Princess Alexandra of Denmark. She was so sweet and so tiny:)
Old 08-04-2006, 03:25 AM
Nobility

This is great hearing about all your encounters.

Here are the members of royalty I've encountered

Princess Diana - Met her three times and she took some time to speak with me. I was in Heaven. Over a period of 11 years I saw her another five times, but didn't get to speak to her or get that near.

Prince Charles - Didn't meet him but stood next to him when I was a kid. Saw him in Hong Kong three times and once more in London.

Princess Anne - Congratulated her at a conference last year. She just nodded her head. Saw her in 1983 when I was a kid and once more in London in 1992. Not my favourite Royal.

King Harald and Queen Sonia - Attended a small press call for them two years ago. They seem very nice.

Prince Albert of Monaco - He is very friendly and down to earth.

Princess Margaret - Saw her at Westminster Abbey in 1992. Was very close to her and managed to get some pictures of her.

Queen and Prince Phillip - Saw them during their Australian/Asian tour this year. Got some good shots of Prince Phillip, not so good ones of the Queen.

Queen Sofia - Saw her at the IOC conference last year.

Grand Duke Henri - Saw him at the IOC conference last year. Did not seem to happy when I saw him. Didn't appear to be very friendly.

Ex King Constantine - Saw him at the IOC conference last year.

Crown Prince Willem Alexander - At the IOC conference last year. Appears to be very accomodating and cordial.

The Emperor and Empress of Japan - Was presented to them this year during their trip around SEA. Very friendly and soft spoken and gracious.

Hope to meet Prince Frederik and Princess Mary of Denmark.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:54 AM
Aristocracy

I have seen Konstantine,former king of Greece, in Athens.He was driving his car and at the back of his car was prince Nicolaos.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:03 AM
Serene Highness

I once went to Koninginnedag (the royal family visited the town where I was born) and I saw the entire royal family in the pre-princesses era (Beatrix, Claus, Willem-Alexander, Friso, Constantijn, Pieter, Margriet, Maurits, Bernhard, P-C and Floris) and it was really great. Prince Claus winked at my nephew (who was about 1 year old at that time) as they passed by. It was so cute!

Hopefully I will get the chance to go and see princess Maxima this year, maybe I should visit Koninginnedag? I think they definitely need to pass by the great city of N.!