The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-21-2005, 08:19 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
There surely couldn't have been any members of the press there because if there had Diana would have been all over the waiting crowd. I remember reading that Diana was an actress who played to the press and that "caring Di" was all an act. If the press weren't around there then you seen the real Diana in action.
I always admired her so much so I'd be so dissapointed if that was true. I never know wether to believe stories like that, or if they were just made up because it's a story that sounds interesting?:(

Old 07-21-2005, 08:35 AM
Courtier

Hallo,

I have met and kissed the hands of my beloved King and Queen. I had experienced greeting 4 Malay Sultans and their consorts at different occassion. I saw Sultan of Brunei visiting the university where I'm studying but I failed to approach him due to massive crowds which I regret and would never forgive myself for a lifetime because I was late to attend the ceremony.

Could anyone please suggest what should we say to royals especially European royals once we encounter them? So far I had been totally stumped when I met royals. I just didn't know what to say- nervous and extremely excited. I want suggestions -what is the most suitable greeting or small talk that we should throw to royals which will make the moment so memorable in our life.

Old 07-21-2005, 08:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth
Alexandria, Are you a journalist?
Yes, I'm an editor at a magazine about Toronto (Canada).

I am actually our Museums & Galleries and Shopping editor, but my colleagues know how much I like royalty, so even if it's related to their sections of the magazine, they let me go to such events.

I was supposed to meet Edward and Sophie of Wessex recently when they were in town at the beginning of June but was sick that day so I didn't get to. :(
Old 07-21-2005, 10:54 AM
Serene Highness

When I was 15 my mom, aunt, and I were at a "tea" with Sarah Ferguson at Neiman Marcus in Dallas, that was fun but when I went up to speak to her I sneezed on her.... not fun... she laughed, I don't think she was very bothered by it.... ha ha ha....
Old 07-21-2005, 06:29 PM
Aristocracy

I met Her Majesty The Queen Elizabeth II at a Royal Garden Party
Old 07-23-2005, 08:50 PM
Gentry

I met then Crown Prince Abdullah bin Hussein of Jordan when he was serving with the British Army. I was an MP in the US Army and we were doing manuevers with the British, French and German Armies. Someone said that the one "British Army" officer was a real Prince and I got to meet him quickly. I thought he was rather good-looking and very nice. My (then) husband (also an MP) thought I was too friendly! LOL
Old 07-23-2005, 08:55 PM
Gentry

Quote:
If the press weren't around there then you seen the real Diana in action.
Maybe it depended on how tired she was, if she was pregnant at the time (tired), the fact that her husband had a long time mistress, that she suffered from chemical imbalances, or any number of things. I think it is a bit presumptuous to say Princess Diana was not a caring person.

You try living in a fish bowl and see how you feel.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:33 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
Yes, I'm an editor at a magazine about Toronto (Canada).

I am actually our Museums & Galleries and Shopping editor, but my colleagues know how much I like royalty, so even if it's related to their sections of the magazine, they let me go to such events.

I was supposed to meet Edward and Sophie of Wessex recently when they were in town at the beginning of June but was sick that day so I didn't get to. :(
Thank you very much Alexandria.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:14 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
There surely couldn't have been any members of the press there because if there had Diana would have been all over the waiting crowd. I remember reading that Diana was an actress who played to the press and that "caring Di" was all an act. If the press weren't around there then you seen the real Diana in action.
In defence of Diana, I have met her 4 times over the years, and on these occasions, she always went out of her way to talk to people waiting for her - even when the press were NOT around. In Oct. 1991, Diana & Charles visited Toronto. One night the princess had a late engagement at the theatre to see Les Miz. As the royal couple were staying on the royal yacht Britannia, one of my friends spent several hours waiting dockside along with a small group of fans, for the princess to return from the theatre. She was hoping just to catch a glimpse of the princess & was completely shocked to see Diana get out of her car and approach her fans. She spent several minutes talking with everyone inspite it being very late at night. (Yes, the event was shown on local news the next day, but only because one of the fans had brought his movie camera and sold the very amateur looking footage to CITY TV. There were no official members of the press there, so the Princess wouldn't have anticipated this happening.)

I've seen Prince Charles several times. On four occasions, there were big crowds and he interacted with them, but on one occasion, there were only about 50 of us & one cameraman waiting, so all we got was a quick wave & a smile. The same for Princess Margriet of the Netherlands. When there is a big crowd, she may interact, but if there is just 60 or so people, you might just get a wave.

I don't view the occasions where the royals don't interact with the crowds in a negative way. They are busy people in stressful positions. I think they have to pick and choose the occasions where they give more of themselves, otherwize they will be completely exhausted. We have to remember, that although the event might be a "once in a lifetime" occasion for us, for them it is an everyday occurence. And besides, like you & I, they have their bad days. They can't always be "on" 100% of the time.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:06 PM
Gentry

Anyone know a Royal

Anyone know or knew a royal ? You don't have to say who or how I just wondered X
Old 02-22-2006, 09:43 PM
Nobility

I don't know any royals, but I've met Princess Martha Louise. It was during the promotional tour she was doing in America for her book.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:44 PM
Courtier

Wish I did know a Royal! But I've met the Thai royal princess when she came to visit the centre where i work to learn more about our research facilities. she's a very nice lady.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:46 PM
Heir Apparent

I've met Cristina and Iñaki when I was working in Barcelona, I travel there every once in a while and finally got the chance, they are nice people, very down to earth and from that point on I became a huge fan of them, Iñaki's mother Claire is very nice as well.

I must say that most of Cristina's pics really don't make her any justice, she looks way more beautiful in person and with her husband thay make an smashing couple.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Really?!!! How happy you are! :)

Old 02-23-2006, 11:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: Somewhere in the middle of the River Po Valley, Italy
I met Princess Maria Beatrice of Savoy ( the youngest daughter of the last Italian King) at Rome airport once, but I didn't talk to her. I must say she looks more beautiful in person rather than she appears on photos. She's also tall.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaChicaMadrilena
Really?!!! How happy you are! :)
Yeah, but the funny thing is that my interest in royalty started when I went to Europe not before and it really became an obsession when I met my "golden royal couple"
Old 02-23-2006, 11:04 AM
Heir Apparent

My Dad's best friend's daughter is married to a member of the Afghan Royal Family. Although I think he's only a second cousin of the King.

My cousin met Princess Diana during her tour of Pakistan in th early 90's, she visited her college.

Another cousin has met Mary about 4/5 times now during her Royal duties.

My sister was invited to one of the garden parties held by the Queen. When I asked what she was like her response was "she has great skin". I suppose it's a compliment of sorts!

My uncle worked in Riyadh and was appointed as a personal physician by one of the Saudi princes ( not one of the immediate relations of the king).
Old 02-23-2006, 11:29 AM
Nobility

A friend of my mothers met Charles and Camilla at a function a few months ago and another friend had dinner meeting with Charles and three other people in the private apartments. Someone my Uncle knows met Prince Phillip on an official outing.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:25 PM
Serene Highness
TRF Author

I met once Infanta Margarita, one of the sisters of King Juan Carlos of Spain. I met her in a supermarket (Yes! In a supermarket :) ) in Cascais, close to Lisbon. She was with a man who helped her packing her things. Maybe he was his bodyguard, I don't know.

It's true that Infanta Margarita spends some of her time in Portugal, but I never expected to meet her! :)
Old 02-23-2006, 12:37 PM
Courtier

That's soooo cool