Most Popular Prince / Princess?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I imagine the senior members of the British royal family will generally be most universally known, but if people were asked the names of other royals from around the world, most people would mention King Juan Carlos, Queen Sofia, Queen Beatrix, King Abdullah and Queen Rania and the Monaco royal family. Naturally the Australians will know of the Danish royal family!

I think that the most well known Princesses were Princess Diana and Princess Grace.Diana for charities and all that drama concerning her life (Prince Charle's infidelity,her relationships,her death) and Grace because she incarnated the absolute dream : Academy Award-winning actress who became Princess!!

princess : i think Mary of danemark
prince: William of England

QEII,Princess Diana,Prince Charles,CP Victoria of Sweden.

The British royals are the most known in the U.S.
So I would say QEII & Princes Harry and William.

It all comes down to where you live! In the USA, I'd bet the only royals anyone even KNOWS are the members of the British RF.

Well, I'm from florida and I know about the Swedish Royal Family and other royals households, although I hardly know them all.

I agree with PrincessAurora, British Royals are the most known, today. William, Kate, Charles, Harry, QEII and Philip. Maybe Duchess of York was when she was married to Andrew. Before her death Diana was the most popular royal person.

And I also royals of Monaco, because of their mother, was an actress.

Imperial Family of Iran was so famous,too

The most known princess would be Diana and most known prince would be Prince Wiliam, at least in the United States.

Princess Diana, Princess of Wales
Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge

:heartflower::heartflower::heartflower:

Without any doubt the most known royals are those of the United Kingdom and then, because of the enormous Spanish-speaking community, the Spanish royal family.

Diana died in 1997. People who were younger than 8 or 9 years when the dreadful accident happened are now 25, 26 years old. My guess is that this younger generation will know who Catherine is and have little memories about her late-mother-in-law who died 17 years ago. It is sad, history is fast, very fast. I mean: how many people will still know who the late Princess Margaret was? Soon Princess Margaret will just become a footnote in a familial history.

In Europe all Royals are know: in Italy especially House of Windsor and House of Savoy.

Without any doubt the most known princesses are Diana Princess of Wales and Catherine Duchess of Cambridge. The most popular Queen is Queen Elizabeth II. Also Camilla Duchess of Cornwall is very know.
The most know princes are William, Harry and Charles.

For the past, I think Queen Marie Antoinette of France is the most know princess worldwide.

Also Grace Kelly and Rita Hayworth are very know but they are more popular as actresses than as princesses and also they are less popular than Princess Diana.

Definitely, worldwide the most popular is still Princess Diana.

Diana and Grace Kelly are still the most loved princesses of all time.

In my honest opinion, I generally think both Diana and Grace are still the most beloved princess of all time. Different generations but both made their marks in history and for their country.

Diana for her compassion, humanitarian efforts and bringing the BRF into into modernity with her being close to the public and being kind, warm hearted. She also did a lot for Britain abroad and was a great ambassador.

Princess Grace married an unknown prince from an unknown country. A film star turned princess only a story you would find in movies. She did so much for Monaco!!! Established the ballet school, American Red Cross, Orphanages, she did a lot in her philanthropy.

They both did a tremendous job in their role and yes there are fine princesses today all over the world whom I am impressed with, but to me both Diana and Grace had something different. They are often imitated but never be replaced!

(Also they started the fairytale wedding, fashion icon craze!)

To be fair, many people don't know other monarchies exist, let alone other princesses.

To be fair, many people don't know other monarchies exist, let alone other princesses.

But many didn't know Monaco too. It was Grace who brought it to the map.

But you can say the same thing about Diana too. Diana will imo be more popular and famous than Catherine and Meghan.

Grace did experience "real life" not just a fairytale when it came to her children. Her daughter Caroline demanded that she marry Philippe Junot despite the misgivings of Grace and Rainier. Caroline and Junot got a fairytale big wedding but it fell apart on the honeymoon when he was seen with other women. I think it was not all rainbows for Grace.

But many didn't know Monaco too. It was Grace who brought it to the map.

But you can say the same thing about Diana too. Diana will imo be more popular and famous than Catherine and Meghan.

Monarchy is not a popularity contest though...

I'm never overly convinced by "of all time" polls - as with any sort of polls, people tend to go for the most recent answers. Was Diana more popular (within her own country) than, say, Catherine of Aragon or Philippa of Hainault or Joan of Kent were, in their day? There's also something about women who tragically die young and are for ever young and glamorous ... I went to Argentina a few years ago and was surprised by how important Eva Peron still is in popular culture.

Monarchy is not a popularity contest though...

Never said the monarchy just the people in it. Some just have a bigger influence/reach than other people just in turn do not fade.

I agree. Apart from dedicated Royal watchers most people are not aware of the many princesses, queens, empresses and more who are working and representing their respective nations with grace and dignity.

I agree. Apart from dedicated Royal watchers most people are not aware of the many princesses, queens, empresses and more who are working and representing their respective nations with grace and dignity.

Okay but it goes to show that some people just have that star that shines brightly. Grace married into an unknown principality. She could have faded into obscurity but didn't.

Of all time? Perhaps you mean “in recent memory.“ While many other princesses have worked tirelessly for their people, the shallow modern press and its shallow audience glommed-on to these two particularly photogenic princesses and followed every detail of their lives. If they are "the most beloved,” it is largely because most people, if asked, could not even name five other princesses.

Last edited:
Okay but it goes to show that some people just have that star that shines brightly. Grace married into an unknown principality. She could have faded into obscurity but didn't.

It wasn't unknown.. It has a long history in Europe..

Of all time? Perhaps you mean “in recent memory.“ While many other princesses have worked tirelessly for their people, the shallow modern press and its shallow audience glommed-on to these two particularly photogenic princesses and followed every detail of their lives. If they are "the most beloved,” it is largely because most people, if asked, could not even name five other princesses.

In modern history I should have added that. Wow so you just think people who are shallow followed them? That's a bit of an ignorant statement. I followed Diana despite her beauty or fashion but her humanitarian work which has influenced me. I followed Grace for her efforts and making strides in Monaco.

They had a bigger audience...

The purpose of princesses working within a monarchy such as the British "Firm" is to support and amplify the work that the monarchy is doing to support their people. Being someone with "star quality" and in quite a few ways, being controversial and constantly in tabloids actually is working *against* the aims of the monarchy and its goals. In this respect, Diana could never have held a candle up to Anne who works tirelessly and without fanfare in her role as The Princess Royal. This isn't saying that Diana didn't do good and didn't make a difference but in the scheme of things, her "popularity" and "star quality" overshadowed the "Firm" in many ways and actually was detrimental to the monarchy as a team working together for the people.

Judging someone by their popularity and their "star power" works in the celebrity circles but isn't really appreciated that much in the royal households representing a monarchy.

JMO, of course. ?

followed Diana despite her beauty or fashion but her humanitarian work which has influenced me. I followed Grace for her efforts and making strides in Monaco.

The point is you & others followed Diana & Grace because the press followed them, and the press pushed their story and their images in everyone's faces while other hard-working princesses (who were perhaps not fashion-plates) were utterly ignored; their stories and their good deeds were never fed to the shallow masses.

Last edited:
The point is you & others followed Diana & Grace because the press followed them, and the press pushed their story and their images in everyone's faces while other hard-working princesses (who were perhaps not fashion-plates) were utterly ignored - and their stories and good deeds not fed to the shallow masses.

Well its not their fault that the media followed them. Plus I didn't even know about those two until I got interested in royalty. So I learned through research and they are to me great as well as Crown Princess Victoria.

The purpose of princesses working within a monarchy such as the British "Firm" is to support and amplify the work that the monarchy is doing to support their people. Being someone with "star quality" and in quite a few ways, being controversial and constantly in tabloids actually is working *against* the aims of the monarchy and its goals. In this respect, Diana could never have held a candle up to Anne who works tirelessly and without fanfare in her role as The Princess Royal. This isn't saying that Diana didn't do good and didn't make a difference but in the scheme of things, her "popularity" and "star quality" overshadowed the "Firm" in many ways and actually was detrimental to the monarchy as a team working together for the people.

Judging someone by their popularity and their "star power" works in the celebrity circles but isn't really appreciated that much in the royal households representing a monarchy.

JMO, of course. ?

The irony to try and dim someone's star is funny to me. Not Diana's fault she had a star that shined brightly that people followed her and paid attention to her work which helped many people tremendously. Have you forgotten her work in breaking the stigma of AIDS? Or is that not important to you?

Back
Top Bottom