Most Popular Prince / Princess?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MargreteI said:
No, the reference "The Queen" is never QEII in another monarchy regardless how small it is or how world wide famous QEII is. That would be downright rude to "The Queen"! Even if outside Scandinavia in say The Netherlands, Thailand or Jordan.
I've read newspapers from other countries with monarchies where the Queen referenced was not the Queen of that land. I can't say I found it rude.

Sometimes in Spain I heard the expression "Queen of Queens" referring to QEII.

PRINCESS DIANA OF WALES of course..everybody knows her, she is recognized worldwide..When you talk about royalty in countries which have no monarchy, the first person they would think of is Diana, Prince William, Charles or the Queen Elizabeth II..Even the non-royal fanatics or watchers knew or heard these names.

Generally speaking, outside your own fields of interests,

Princess of wales, because her star system that she drived her to her tragic end! as a Princess

If we are talking about a queen, Queen EII, because she is, until now, the more historic one.

Little_star said:
I've read newspapers from other countries with monarchies where the Queen referenced was not the Queen of that land. I can't say I found it rude.
How very odd; I would never have believed any media in a monarchy would make such an error - don't recall having seen it myself.
The queen of any monarchy must be 'the queen'. Outside of other monarchies QEII may be 'the queen' for all I care - and very likely the most well-known one.

adelaide said:
If we are talking about a queen, Queen EII, because she is, until now, the more historic one.
What do you mean by 'historic'?

Within Britain, Commonwealth realms and the US, 'the Queen' is normally in refference to Elizabeth II, but within the remaining and respective European monarchies (Luxembourg aside) it is their Queen to whom they refer. Whether Consort or Regnant :flowers:

Last edited:
UserDane said:
What do you mean by 'historic'?

I could be wrong, but I think adelaide means the longest serving famle monarch out of the current 'bunch' ;) :)

it is actually the King of Thailand who is the doyenne of sovereigns, not Queen Elizabeth II.

Funny how many anglosaxons automatically presume that their monarch is automatically superior to anything else in the world. Rule Britannia and the Empire!

Thanks Madame Royale :flowers:

Marengo, I agree with your observation - it is a bit funny/strange! Judging by the reactions of posters living in other monarchies than the English, we do not agree that 'the queen' is QEII ;)

I think the British Royal family are the most known (especially The Queen). About the Spanish royals, I got the impression that they are quite well known in South American countries :ermm:
I live in Madrid and the people know who the members of the family are. I often hear people talking about them. Like last week I was in a café and I heard 2 women talking about Letizia. Last summer I was in Mallorca and the 3 people behind me on the bus were debating who was their favourite Infanta..Elena or Cristina.

Marengo said:
it is actually the King of Thailand who is the doyenne of sovereigns, not Queen Elizabeth II.

Yes, I know :flowers: I was referring to female monarchs as my post indicates.

Last edited:
In my haste to protest about suspected anglosaxon arrogance I overlooked that detail ;) But I apologise...

Having that said, HM Queen Elizabeth II is of course the most famous Queen of the moment, though not to everybody. I can imagine that in Hungary people still first associate their Sisi with the word Queen and in France many will first think of poor Marie-Antoinette. My own grandmother always first thought of Quen Wilhelmina when the word Queen would show anywhere, and not about her queenly daughter or granddaughter.

Marengo said:
In my haste to protest about suspected anglosaxon arrogance I overlooked that detail ;) But I apologise...

That's quite alright, Marengo ;) :) Not a problem at all.

Having that said, HM Queen Elizabeth II is of course the most famous Queen of the moment, though not to everybody. I can imagine that in Hungary people still first associate their Sisi with the word Queen and in France many will first think of poor Marie-Antoinette. My own grandmother always first thought of Quen Wilhelmina when the word Queen would show anywhere, and not about her queenly daughter or granddaughter.

I totally agree.

Marengo said:

Funny how many anglosaxons automatically presume that their monarch is automatically superior to anything else in the world. Rule Britannia and the Empire!
That's a bit presumptuous, don't you think? I have no great love for the Empire, nor do I think Britian is superior (and I'm not Anglo-Saxon).
However, it seems silly to pretend that other Monarchs are as well known as QEII when obviously they're not.

I never said other monarchs are as well-known as Queen Elizabeth II as they are not. But to presume even in other monarchies/countries in the world people/newspaper usually have QEII as first reference with the word 'queen' is a bit over the top IMO and untrue.
I could build up a theory about the american/british vision of the rest of the world related to this presumption but that topic might better be left out of this discussion as we are not a political forum. I apologise for mentioning it alltogether.

Marengo said:
I never said other monarchs are as well-known as Queen Elizabeth II as they are not. But to presume even in other monarchies/countries in the world people/newspaper usually have QEII as first reference with the word 'queen' is a bit over the top IMO and untrue.
For the record, I never said that was the case. However, I have been abroad and seen newspapers with a Monarchy where the "Queen" was mentioned and referedto QEII.

Marengo said:
I could build up a theory about the american/british vision of the rest of the world related to this presumption but that topic might better be left out of this discussion as we are not a political forum. I apologise for mentioning it alltogether.
There's no need to apologise. However, I don't see why you feel the need to bring up my nationality each time, as though it's a decisive indicator of all my opinions.

carlota said:
i think the most known prince is for definate prince william. and i second what mari said that in the spanish speaking hemisphere the princes of asturias are the most well known. perhaps maxima as well because of being from south america but only in south america.

I am sorry to inform that, though many people around here may know something about Maxima (after all, we don't have an Argentinian as a future Queen every day), we're not very up to date with her activities, unless you are (like me) interested/curious in some way about the subject. She appears sometimes in magazines (and yes, there was coverage when she came last year in the state visit with the Queen), but in daily life, she is no subject of conversation.

She claims to be "a Dutch born in Buenos Aires", that's probably why we don't take her much into account...

I think

Diana, she still consider the most photographed royalty. And second will be Mary.

And for male, it would be Prince William, after the death of Diana, he got all the media attention, look what's going on right now with his girlfriend, and they're not engaged yet. I can imagine what would be if they get married

:)

Prince: William and Harry
Princess: Letizia

Little_star said:
For the record, I never said that was the case. However, I have been abroad and seen newspapers with a Monarchy where the "Queen" was mentioned and referedto QEII.

I've lived in Germany, Italy, and France and never heard even a reference to merely 'the Queen' to refer to anybody.

Elizabeth II is never referred to in the U.S. as merely the Queen but always as Queen Elizabeth, or the Queen of England, or Elizabeth II. In Germany, she was always referred to as die Koenigin, Elizabeth II and in France as la reine Elisabeth.

The only place I heard of Elizabeth II referred to as just 'the Queen' was in England which was perfectly appropriate because her title there is HM. the Queen. Queen Elizabeth referred to the late Queen Mother.

...sOfIa.... said:
About the Spanish royals, I got the impression that they are quite well known in South American countries :ermm:

You're right Sofia :) , and not only in South American countries, but in Latin American countries.

Princess: I'd say Grace of Monaco
Prince: The Duke of Edinburgh

Now days I think William and Harry,Charles,Edward and Andrew of GB and Albert and Princesses Caroline and Stephanie of Monaco and Princess Masako of Japan as well as Princess Anne of GB.

In Commonwealth countries, "The Queen" = QEII

ysbel said:
The only place I heard of Elizabeth II referred to as just 'the Queen' was in England which was perfectly appropriate because her title there is HM. the Queen. Queen Elizabeth referred to the late Queen Mother.

She is the Queen of about 16 countries, and is commonly referred to as "The Queen." I think it would also be common in other Commonwealth countries, because they have such a close association with her.

yvr girl said:
She is the Queen of about 16 countries, and is commonly referred to as "The Queen." I think it would also be common in other Commonwealth countries, because they have such a close association with her.

Thanks for that clarification yvr girl. Now to clarify my statement a bit more, I meant I had not heard Elizabeth II referred to as simply the Queen in any country where she was not in fact the Queen.

The most known Prince has to be Prince William of Wales and the most known Princess is Princess Caroline of Hanover,Hereditary Princess of Monaco.

Doyenne / Doyen

HM Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom is the Doyenne of world's Sovereigns.

HM King Bhumibol of Thailand is the Doyen of world's Sovereigns.

Doyenne = most senior female
Doyen = most senior male

:flowers:

Back
Top Bottom