The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-22-2017, 07:40 AM
Majesty

I've always been of the opinion that intellingece and education are two separate entities. The don't always go together.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
I've always been of the opinion that intellingece and education are two separate entities. The don't always go together.
Agreed, more education does not automatically mean more intelligent

Old 04-22-2017, 08:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

Of course they are separate things.. but without a certain level of intelligence, its unlikely that someone can benefit from education beyond a certain level. If someone is very limited in brain power, there's no point in tehm going to college
Old 04-22-2017, 08:22 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
Agreed, more education does not automatically mean more intelligent
Thank you. I think it is very hard to dispute which royal is the more intellingent as intelligence encompasses many traits. In my opinion, you can make such a claim only if you know personally all the royals.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:27 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
You are absolutely right.

To quote the late author Arthur C. Clarke: An intellectual: Someone who has been educated above his/her intelligence.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:10 PM
Commoner

Unless we have the IQ scores of every royal then theres no way to determine this :) and IQ isn't all that predictive of intelligence anways
Old 04-22-2017, 03:31 PM
Commoner

King Felipe has a law degree and some economy studies, and he made a Master of Science in Foreign Service , he studied this at Georgetown with his cousin Crown Prince Pavlos, they even shared rooms. I read sometime ago King Felipe has a high IQ.

Anyway the degree they have is not an indicative of the IQ, for example, Queen Letizia was journalist but maybe she has more IQ than Queen Máxima who was economist or vice versa, CP Mette-Marit has more IQ than CP Mary for example....

I think the actual royals are very well prepared but the most prepared of all of them is King Felipe.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:38 PM
Majesty

Yes education is not the only sign of intelligence. But it is a pretty good one. You aren't going to get into a phd program if you're not intelligent.

Since we can't ask for iq scores, education really is the only thing we can base the question on.

Social and street smarts are another matter. Just as hard to judge not actually knowing a person. But that's not really intelligence.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:44 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
You are absolutely right.

To quote the late author Arthur C. Clarke: An intellectual: Someone who has been educated above his/her intelligence.
I think, in fact, that people who are inclined towards an education/more academic studies, sport more of a skill that intelligence per se.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Good gracious, just saw a list of the BRF education and it just doesn't compare to The Netherlands and Asia. And please don't pull the "education doesn't equate intelligence" PC hyperbole. Whats even more funny are the people who try to defend QE2's lack of knowledge and education.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 05-23-2017, 08:42 PM
Nobility

Degrees are not everything. Thomas Edison, Albert Einstein and Isaac Newton, among others, were poor students.
And even though Queen Elizabeth II was privately educated, many of her tutors were acclaimed professors.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Queen may have not had what by today's standards is a less than stellar education but to say she has a 'lack of knowledge' is a bit strong. She has had contact with the greatest minds of the 2nd half of the 20th century and has been involved with the major decisions made in the world in that time. She would have the widest knowledge of world events since the mid-1940s when she started being briefed on British and world affairs.

Her education was specific to what she needed as a constitutional monarch.

As for the education of the BRF. They have degrees to a large extent in areas of interest. I know many people look down on people with History/History of Art/History of Ideas/Geography degrees - but as a person with exactly that I find that offensive.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:52 PM
Heir Apparent

I think there has been an interesting discussion on this thread as to how intelligence is to be defined and measured and categorised.

As for Queen Elizabeth II, it is true that she did not attend university. Princess Margaret later complained that she and her sister did not receive a very rounded education and that she would have quite liked to have gone to boarding school. However the decision to have her daughters educated by a governess was taken by the Queen Mother and was the usual upper class one of the time. Surely the Queen isn't to blame for her mother's parenting decisions made in the 1930's? It was also very unusual for women in any Royal family to attend university 70 or more years ago, especially in wartime.

Having said that, people are usually surprised by the breadth of knowledge on many subjects that the Queen possesses. She is very well-travelled, and on track with current and political affairs, and several foreign, Commonwealth and British statesmen and women have said so. Private diaries of senior politicians have also attested to the Queen's knowledge. She's used her skills several times at CHOGM meetings, for instance.

What links can you give us, Xenia, that illustrate the Queen's 'lack of knowledge', in your opinion, on any occasion?
Old 05-23-2017, 08:55 PM
Serene Highness

I think education with royalty is more loosely correlated with IQ/intelligence than it is with the general population. Which is not to say that some royals aren't very smart. But, especially for the prestigious American universities, they're not put in the same applicant pool as some random whip smart kid from Indiana. There would have had to have been something extremely off, for example, for Georgetown not to accept Pavlos and especially Felipe.

It's like Malia Obama going to Harvard. Is she actually smart? Probably, given that both her parents are smart and she's been given every educational opportunity. Would she get in even if she was weak compared to the general Harvard applicant pool? Of course she would. The same goes for the billionaire's kid from Hong Kong, the kid from old money whose family has been donating to the school since it was founded, etc.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:57 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
"From multilingual Queen Mathilde of Belgium, a former speech therapist who has a masters degree in psychology to Queen Maxima of The Netherlands who held high ranking positions at big banks, these women have very impressive academic credentials and career achievements."

Queen Mathilde's academic achievements and knowledge of four languages are impressive.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

I will only say this regarding Elizabeth IIs job, meeting people and being a constitutional monarch doesn't equate knowledge or intelligence; shes a constitutional monarch only leaving the heavy lifting to others.
And Albert Einstien proved his intelligence by teaching himself and bypassing even the masters of his day. Just because Einstein didn't go to college does not negate a college education and that the pursuit of it at least shows a thirst for knowledge and a curiosity about the world. It is a fact that the Queen and her sister were badly educated, whether they were empty headed we will never know.
That list of Queen's of Europe doesn't take into account the Prince's who are also greatly educated, even the ones born royal.
@Curryong, its not just university that is related to her lack of education but a bad formal education as well, looking at the things she was taught as a child. Were the other monarchs around Elizabeth's age so badly educated? I know her mother, father, and grandfather weren't very much into books. But I'm going to go look into Margrethe etc.
No I don't blame Elizabeth for her mother and fathers choices, but I don't see pointing out how lacking her education is compared to others is somehow blaming her.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Degrees are not everything. Thomas Edison, Albert Einstein and Isaac Newton, among others, were poor students.
So somehow that translates into school and education are pointless? Geniuses that can bypass formal education are rare and for every 1 Einstein there are 12000 students who need teaching to further their education.

Sorry for my rant, but I'm just looking at stats of my countries intelligence and education of are children and I am seriously bummed. I just feel I I've in a society that no longer values learning.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:38 PM
Majesty

I totally agree. The frame of reference here is "Most and Least Intelligent Royals". We would do well to remember that and not disrespect royals who don't have a BA, MA, a Doctorate, or multiples thereof.

I would think that HM's years of studying Socio-Economics, International Affairs and Diplomacy alone have more than qualified her for a Doctorate or two! It's a pity she would not accept an honorary degree or three.

Once upon a time nurses used to start at the bottom and both work and study in a hospital, progressing and examined in both written and practical exams. Now they are University qualified and more and more they are finding that fresh out of University they are not much use on a Ward. They lack the depth of knowledge and experience that on-the-job-training provided. They are considering crash courses of OJT to try to make up that difference before they let someone "qualified" loose in a Ward. Going backwards so to speak.

The rebuild after the earthquake here meant many national and international workers were required and while some had degrees they were virtually unskilled while others had degrees that they attained after first finishing a good old-fashioned, Apprenticeship and they were golden.

Defining how "Intelligent" any royal is or isn't is a sheer impossibility as we do not even have their basic IQ to start with. Worse, many people are far smarter than their formal education would suggest. They can also be far denser!

What I am trying to say is that regardless of how "educated" you are or are not, it does not necessarily equate to your level of intelligence.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:45 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
So somehow that translates into school and education are pointless? Geniuses that can bypass formal education are rare and for every 1 Einstein there are 12000 students who need teaching to further their education.

Sorry for my rant, but I'm just looking at stats of my countries intelligence and education of are children and I am seriously bummed. I just feel I I've in a society that no longer values learning.
I never said education was pointless. People can be educated or educate themselves in many ways other than formal schooling. I only said degrees are not everything in determining intelligence.

And how are problems with formal educational institutions and educating young people in this day and age have anything to do with the education attained by any prince or princess?
Old 05-23-2017, 09:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Xenia, Queen Margrethe went to university, in the 1950's. She is also about 20 years younger than Queen Elizabeth.

Constitutional monarchs don't remain dumb (in the sense of not speaking out to PM's and Ministers of the Crown) and powerless, at least in the UK. Queen Elizabeth has shown considerable skill in dealing with politicians over the years and has played a part more than once at CHOGM at times of crisis.

As well as lessons from her governess the Queen took twice weekly lessons in Constitutional History in the 1940's from a very distinguished scholar, Sir Henry Marten, who was Vice Provost of Eton College.

She also took lessons at the same time from Viscountess de Bellaigne, who was no doubt responsible for the Queen's flawless French. The Viscountess taught Elizabeth and Margaret French, French literature and European history.