The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-15-2005, 02:54 PM
Commoner

I totally disagree with your comment about princess Diana honestly she wouldn't have behave the way she had if th Queen hadn't force Prince Charles to marry her I mean did you really thnk that he ever loved her? They just used her really and the it was her theat the British Royal became well-known everywhere.

Old 08-15-2005, 02:58 PM
Courtier

Diana showed them who's boss....she pratically brought the British monarch alive again!

They make the best husbands!!!!!!
Old 03-10-2007, 08:33 PM
Gentry

How to be a Princess

Would anyone buy a self help style DVD on How to be a Princess ? X
Old 03-10-2007, 08:44 PM
Gentry

Is this going to be starring Paris Hilton or Tatjana Gsell?! LOL
Old 03-11-2007, 02:09 AM
Royal Highness

It depends on who they'd use as a standard to measure princessness against and who's doing the teaching, their qualifications etc.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:58 AM
Courtier

They would have to use Paul Burrell, , he seems to think he knows everything there is to know about being a Princess.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:33 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisscross1
They would have to use Paul Burrell, , he seems to think he knows everything there is to know about being a Princess.
& there I was thinking he was a Queen!!!
Old 03-11-2007, 05:37 AM
Royal Highness

How to be a Princess?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair_r
Would anyone buy a self help style DVD on How to be a Princess ? X
The answer is: remain yourself.

That is all. The books and the dvd's can be thrown into the dustbin.

On the evening of his engagement, the Prince of Orange openly made a call to his fiancée, live on television: "I hope you remain the same Máxima" (meaning: don't let your new position change your vibrant personality and savoir-vivre we all felt in love with).
Old 03-11-2007, 06:12 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda
& there I was thinking he was a Queen!!!
Absolutely
Old 03-11-2007, 07:47 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M.

On the evening of his engagement, the Prince of Orange openly made a call to his fiancée, live on television: "I hope you remain the same Máxima" (meaning: don't let your new position change your vibrant personality and savoir-vivre we all felt in love with).
I love this sentiment, but honestly, could you really become a princess and remain the same old person the prince fell in love with? I don't think so. Yes, it may just be the outer shell that changes (the clothes, the jewels) but I can't help but think it would be so difficult to remain carefree, open and unselfconscious in that position.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:00 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliB
I love this sentiment, but honestly, could you really become a princess and remain the same old person the prince fell in love with? I don't think so. Yes, it may just be the outer shell that changes (the clothes, the jewels) but I can't help but think it would be so difficult to remain carefree, open and unselfconscious in that position.
It is obvious that your life will be upside down when you marry the Heir of a reigning dynasty. Princess Máxima, herself coming from a total different part of the world and absolutely unknown with monarchy in her homeland and in the United States, suddenly found herself seated in this position. She herself labelled that as 'Bizarre' in a television interview.

But overall we can say that most Princesses have not changed since their engagement. There is not much difference between Lady Mathilde d'Udekem d'Acoz then and the Duchess of Brabant now. There is not much difference between Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano then and the Princess of Asturias now. They remained pretty much their own selves.

Masako Owada, Mette-Marit Tjessem Hoiby and Mary Donaldson come in my mind as the Princesses whom have changed quite a lot.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
There is not much difference between Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano then and the Princess of Asturias now. They remained pretty much their own selves..
Really, I think she has changed the most of all of them, I can hardly belive the energetic, outgoing person full of life from the engagement is the same one we see theese days.

Maxima on the other hand has not changed a mm in my oppinon, so I guess WA must be happy
Old 03-11-2007, 12:22 PM
Aristocracy

In my eyes princess Mathilde and princess Masako changed a lot. I can tell you a lot of people in Belgium agree with me on the fact princess Mathilde changed a lot in a negative way, and that's such a pity! Princess Mette-Marit, princess Mary, princess Letizia remained being there own selfs as far as I know.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:41 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva-Britt
I can tell you a lot of people in Belgium agree with me on the fact princess Mathilde changed a lot in a negative way, and that's such a pity!
Ugh?

Negative?

Princess Mathilde?

Can you explain it?
Old 03-11-2007, 12:51 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva-Britt
I can tell you a lot of people in Belgium agree with me on the fact princess Mathilde changed a lot in a negative way, and that's such a pity!
Care to explain what negative way that Princess Mathilde has changed? I agree with Henri M. that Mary has changed alot since she became Crown Princess of Denmark.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:05 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

I don't think it has anything to do with being yourself. Obviously, there has to be a change in how a Princess acts in her public life compared to her previous life. I don't know if the OP was talking about putting on airs to appear to be more princess like versus learning etiquette, deportment, and things of that nature. I don't see anything wrong with that.

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" Pride and Prejudice
Old 03-13-2007, 11:24 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larzen
Really, I think she has changed the most of all of them, I can hardly belive the energetic, outgoing person full of life from the engagement is the same one we see theese days.
Exactly my feeling. IMO it's Letizia who has changed the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larzen
Maxima on the other hand has not changed a mm in my oppinon, so I guess WA must be happy
In my eyes it's Mathilde who hasn't changed a mm.
Perhaps the perception of her has changed but she herself seems pretty much the same,
personality-wise and look-wise.

Mette-Marit and Mary have certainly changed, and in a positive way I feel,
they both seem more at ease or more natural in their official roles nowadays.
They show commitment and strength.
Mary's look changed definitely.
But regarding their private sphere, their personalities,
they don't seem that different to me.

Maxima still has that warmth and vivacity she had 5 years ago,
(perhaps a little more reduced though).
Personality-wise she doesn't seem to have changed a lot.
But I must say regarding look and style she has changed to the worse.
IMO she looked so much more elegant and refined at the beginning than now.
I never particularly liked her fashion style but she looked more refined.

But in the end we can only notice the changes of looks
it's the husbands who really know whether their personalities have changed or not.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricarda
I wasn`t really talking about clothes, hair, skin whatever, that is only so deep, more about appearance in public, the way the interact, behave, talk in interviews etc. And when it comes to that I dont think Maxima has changed alot, she seems to me the same one in Oslo a couple a weeks ago as the woman who was in Haakons wedding in 2001, the style has changed (and I agree not really for the better) but her personality not IMO. She makes still a very positive impression on me, esp "live" on TV (and I have to say when I first saw pictures of her back in 2000 my first thought was - vulgar ), and I also saw her for real in Trondheim in 2002, friendly, waving and smiling to everyone without posing and pouting like a Miss Universe, which is nice when people have been waiting for many hours, some just hurried by and harldy looked left or right, and I still think she and her husband together has a certain presence, a friendly presence, but still something extra, for me atleast (maybe it is their height).
Old 03-13-2007, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

Maxima has a genuineness (is that a word ) that seems bone deep. When she smiles (really smiles) you can see it in her eyes. Her vivacity is wonderful, and makes her seem real and approachable.
Letizia, I think, seems to hold herself back sometimes. My profile pic of Letizia with this crazy googly-eyes look (It's also on the caption this thread) is one of my favorites of her, because she is so funny! At the same time, I think many others, as well as me, like her for her elegance and beauty-a little like a china doll. I don't think I would necessarily want her to be exactly like Maxima, but..I feel like there has got to be some middle ground.
Mary has done well, and although she is this very elegant woman who just seems naturally graceful, she still seems like the girl next door. I'm not sure what it is, but I think it is in the way she relates to people, and that she isn't afraid to laugh. She has become a million (or more) dollar asset to Denmark.
Mathilde- It is interesting to me to hear such different opinions on Mathilde. She strikes me as just being someone who seems rather mild-mannered, but kind and sweet. However, I could be completely wrong. I hope I'm not.
A woman who suprised me with her transformation was Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall. I wasn't prepared to like her, but now, I prefer her to many of the other members of the British royal family! She takes life with a smile and a laugh, and works hard at her role.

Old 03-14-2007, 03:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricarda
I do share Ricarda's opinion. About the slight reduction on her warmth, vivacity, etc. today I went through the "Maxitour" video footage in the DVD which was released for the wedding. She was obviously amused about the incredible amount of attention she was receiving from a (up to that moment) foreing land and people. She was also trying to act accordingly to what was expected from her, but she probably knew that her charisma was the key factor for the Maximania.
5 years later, she doesn't really need to validate this anymore, but to start acting like a future Queen (or whatever the title she will finally carry). So maybe that's why she has reduced the outstanding expressiveness.

About the clothes...sometimes she looks wonderful and sometimes you might wonder "what was she thinking when she pulled out THIS out of the wardrobe?" ...