The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-26-2007, 06:37 AM
Serene Highness

I think people get the idea that it is 'Felipe and Letizia v. Fred and Mary' simply because they both married around the same time, Letizia and Mary had children around the same time etc. But really, there isn't a need for there to be anything between them, afterall they are representing two different countries.

I always thought Felipe and Fred were good friends, does anyone know more on this? Or perhaps I heard wrong?

Thanks!

Old 06-26-2007, 12:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...sOfIa.... View Post
I think people get the idea that it is 'Felipe and Letizia v. Fred and Mary' simply because they both married around the same time, Letizia and Mary had children around the same time etc. But really, there isn't a need for there to be anything between them, afterall they are representing two different countries.

I always thought Felipe and Fred were good friends, does anyone know more on this? Or perhaps I heard wrong?

Thanks!
Have the two CP Mary & Letizia met more than once (at CP Mary's wedding)? Also, it would be difficult for them to talk, as CP Letizia doesn't speak English or Danish, and CP Mary doesn't speak Spanish, and I don't believe either CP speaks Greek. Frederick & Felipe are old friends

Old 06-26-2007, 01:00 PM
Royal Highness

Yeah, it would be hard for the Crown Princesses to converse, although I heard somewhere that Letizia is learning English. They probably were thought to be rivals since their weddings were so close, their first and second children were born weeks of each other, and they are all popular and young.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:32 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndaW View Post
Have the two CP Mary & Letizia met more than once (at CP Mary's wedding)? Also, it would be difficult for them to talk, as CP Letizia doesn't speak English or Danish, and CP Mary doesn't speak Spanish, and I don't believe either CP speaks Greek. Frederick & Felipe are old friends
I don't think it would be difficult for them to talk at all. Letizia does speak English, of course she does, so she would be perfectly capable of having a conversation with Mary. The problem is they're not exactly neybours and quite busy with their beatiful kids
Old 06-27-2007, 07:38 AM
Gentry

there are lot of rumors about the jealousy between lalla meryem (king's sister)and lalla salma (king's wife) of morocco
lalla meryem was considerded before the king's wedding as the first lady
and lalla salma is less pretty and elegant than her sister in law
then I am not sure for who is jealous of who, but I hearf that it's lalla meryem
Old 06-27-2007, 05:56 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess leonor View Post
I don't think it would be difficult for them to talk at all. Letizia does speak English, of course she does, so she would be perfectly capable of having a conversation with Mary. The problem is they're not exactly neybours and quite busy with their beatiful kids
Letizia's ability to speak English is extremely poor. She is just begun to learn the English language upon her marriage to Felipe.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:18 PM
Serene Highness
TRF Author

Princess Letizia was in New York reporting the terrorist act of September 11. So she knew English at the time otherwise TVE wouldn't pick her to the job.

I've heard a rumour that Queen Fabiola was jealous of Queen Paola. Fabiola was jealous of her beauty and fertility.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:21 PM
Courtier

Please excuse my ignorance...but how do you guys know if Letizia does or does not speak English? Does it say that on the Spanish Royal Family's page??? Just want to know...
Old 06-27-2007, 06:44 PM
Gentry

She started learning english when she married prince felipe, so I guess she knows how to speak english but not that well...
Old 06-27-2007, 06:50 PM
Courtier

Oh, ok. Maybe she already had some basic's? She was a reporter after all...I'm sure she had to know some English?? I wonder how she communicated with Victoria of Sweden? I know Queen Silvia speaks Spanish...
Old 06-27-2007, 06:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Letizia has basic knowledge of english and I imagine she's been studying to increase her proficiency, but she isn't really "perfectly" fluent in english, she can carry a conversation and such, but hasn't mastered the language

And for the language topic, I believe she also needs to learn catalan and/or euskera, to increase her popularity on those regions and to make them respect her even more by respecting their traditions, culture and language; otherwise, something like what happens in Belgium will happen to her (the royals that aren't fluent in both french and dutch are ridiculized there), Felipe's been more liked and respected in Catalonia since he started giving speeches in both castillian and catalan (even though I have always thought he needs to learn euskera 'cuz he will be King of ALL spaniards, not only the castillian-speaking ones)

Neither King Juan Carlos nor Queen Sofía are fluent in the autonomic languages, but they come from a time (Franco's time) where those languages weren't allowed to use and besides, they have more than prove their worth in other things, they had to live more difficult times than the ones Felipe and Letizia have to live
Old 06-27-2007, 07:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraMCS View Post
Letizia's ability to speak English is extremely poor. She is just begun to learn the English language upon her marriage to Felipe.
That's not true. She started learning English when she was in Mexico (most of Spanish public schools offered French as the 2nd language at her time). Over the years as a journalist, she had been taken English classes in Spain (You can see the infos in the following link). The short English course she received right before the wedding was the course offered to diplomats by an Oxford professor.

ELPAIS.com - Amor sin barreras - Domingo
Old 07-07-2007, 12:56 AM
Commoner

Quote:
I keep hearing about Letizia and Felipe vs. Mary and Frederik here in the Royal Forums. Is this true fact, or is it just people's opinions? I've been wondering about that. I mean, I haven't seen anything in pictures, articles, etc. to prove that they are or aren't jealous of each other.
I've read that Frederik and Felipe are very good friends, if not best friends.

Quote:
I've heard a rumour that Queen Fabiola was jealous of Queen Paola. Fabiola was jealous of her beauty and fertility.
I've read that also, here on TRF.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:07 AM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by samia View Post
there are lot of rumors about the jealousy between lalla meryem (king's sister)and lalla salma (king's wife) of morocco
lalla meryem was considerded before the king's wedding as the first lady
and lalla salma is less pretty and elegant than her sister in law
then I am not sure for who is jealous of who, but I hearf that it's lalla meryem
Well..Not to hard to imagine who is jealous of who. Princess Lalla Salma is beatiful, stylish and she shines wherever she goes...and of course, she is the King's wife. Princess Lalla Meryem is not as beatiful than her sister-in-law, and has lost her place of "First Lady of the Kingdom"..So, I also bet that the second one is not in good terms with the first one. But of course, if Princess Lalla Salma feels Princess Lalla Meryem jealousy, she could not be very happy with her around, anyway...

But, maybe there are anly gossips. Who knows?

Vanesa.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:45 AM
Gentry

i heard maxima was jealous of laurentien because laurentien is the favorite daughter in law of queen beatrix. How true is that?
Old 07-09-2007, 08:46 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanesa View Post
Well..Not to hard to imagine who is jealous of who. Princess Lalla Salma is beatiful, stylish and she shines wherever she goes...and of course, she is the King's wife. Princess Lalla Meryem is not as beatiful than her sister-in-law, and has lost her place of "First Lady of the Kingdom"..So, I also bet that the second one is not in good terms with the first one. But of course, if Princess Lalla Salma feels Princess Lalla Meryem jealousy, she could not be very happy with her around, anyway...

But, maybe there are anly gossips. Who knows?

Vanesa.
I don't agree, I find Lalla Meryem very beautiful and classy and don't think she has something to envy to Lalla Salma.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:29 AM
Gentry

I recalling reading about how Princess Raghnild was jealous of her niece and nephew (Princess Martha Louise and CP Haakon). She didn't approve of their common marriages (even though she has a common marriage herself). IMO She was upset that she was social downgraded after her common marriage more so than when the current generation married.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarela View Post
i heard maxima was jealous of laurentien because laurentien is the favorite daughter in law of queen beatrix. How true is that?
Mmm I don't know if that was originally true...despite this link

Dutch news in English - Laurentien Perfect Daughter for Queen Beatrix

but if so, right now, I'm sure Máxima turned the tables!
Old 07-27-2007, 03:59 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanyjml View Post
I've read that Frederik and Felipe are very good friends, if not best friends.
I don't think Frederik and Felipe are best friends. Frederik and Haakon, for ex., seem much closer. Pavlos doesn't really count, since he's cousin of both of them.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarela View Post

could you tell us the source where you read that?

i always heard beatrix really liked maxima. laurentien has been in the family for longer and is also dutch, so i have no doubt beatrix really likes her as well.

besides, if there was any kind of problem between them they wouldn't look as at ease as they look normally and laurentien wouldn't have chosen maxima to be leonore's godmother or maxima wouldn't have chosen laurentien to be one of the names of princess alexia. i find them all three really close and think they have a good relationship.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all