Identical Royal Twins

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But IF they have identical twins, who will be the heir apparent?

There were two systems:
- the one who is given birth first
- the one who is given birth last

That last one was in the belief that the one coming out last, was the first in, the first conceived and so the eldest child...

There were two systems:

That last one was in the belief that the one coming out last, was the first in, the first conceived and so the eldest child...

Currently in Belgium and in Denmark, the twin who was given birth first is ahead in the line of succession to the throne. I believe the same rule would apply in other European realms if a similar situation arose.

There were two systems:

In which system that would still be practiced? I agree with Mbruno that in all reigning European monarchies it's birth order that counts. I understand that the Orleanists have a different opinion; is that just them or are there other non-reigning royal families holding to that principle?

Interestingly enough, another example of twins of which one is to be the head of the family are the boys of the Luis Alphonso and Margarita. Luis is the elder (firstborn) of the two and therefore the one to succeed his father as Legitimist pretender to the French throne. So, clearly the Legitimists are of a different opinion than the Orleanists.

Last edited:
I have a vague recollection of reading something about this around the time that the twins were born in Monaco. It had to do with how the birth occurred. If it was a vaginal birth then the first out was considered the oldest. If it was a cesarean then the last out was considered the oldest because the first one taken would have been the one that would have been born last in a vaginal birth. There was something about the fact that the second twin was usually in distress or there would be issues with the umbilical cord wrapping around the neck so that baby had to be taken first in the c-section. I am not sure I am explaining this well. It made sense at the time but I never had any children so what do I know!

Were Prince Richard Wilhelm Leopold of Hesse-Kassel and his twin brother Prince Christoph of Hesse-Kassel identical twins?

Back
Top Bottom