How / Why did you get interested in royalty?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Royalty= magic
it gives us the possibility of living in a dream, a surreal life

the fascination of watching these royals move, the pomp and grandeur that royalty brings, protocol, their history (whether good or bad) coupled with a strive to see how royals interact with us "normal" beings and do things just like anyone else. :D :)

Why are we so interested?
you all bring up some great points, and all are valid, because I think our interest covers several levels.

Number one, definitely, the history element of it is indeed a big one.

Number two, these people lead lives most of us can only dream of. It's great to satisfy our own 'what if' curiosities with glimpses of these jet-setters lives

Number three, I think the media exposure and the fact we're familiar with what it is these people seem to do for a living, breeds a kind of familiarity that makes us consider these people, who are strangers really, as part of our own personal community. Almost on the level of a neighbor, or a relative who maybe lives a continent away. We want to know how they're faring, what they're up to, how their kids are doing, as if we're talking about our distant cousins who immigrated to another country for example. That's the weirdness of the media: we think we know these people pretty intimately, but we really do not at all.

I have always been interested in royalty, but only discovered this great forum when I was looking on the internet for pictures of tiara's, a subject I know nothing about! Came across the forum, and learned a lot, about tiara's and then some! ;)

Last edited:
Sira said:
I started being interested in royalty since I watched the royal wedding of Carl XVI Gustav and Silvia Sommerlath in June 1976.
Also watched that on tv as a little kid, and can't say I blame you for getting hooked on royalty ever since that epic moment! Totally off thread, but I to this day think Silvia was the most beautiful bride on the entire planet, her karma was absolutely something else! I guess all these recent royal crown princial weddings have heaped a lot of interest and new members onto the forum too!

For sure, the royals are interesting for the history that they represent.

On another level, however, I believe that the attraction to watch them day-in and day-out is the same thing that hooks people to soap operas and TV series – we want to know what’s going on in their lives and what are they going to do next. But whereas TV characters are make-believe, we know that these royals are very much alive to the extent that we feel a certain endearment to them – just like we feel for our own friends and relatives. We toast with them on their weddings, on the birth of their children, and other special occasions; and then we weep with them at times of sickness, grief, and other difficult moments.

I'm only interested in Monaco's Princely Family i guess because i live in France.I always admired Caroline she's my all-time favourite Princess i love to learn about her life.I also like her gorgeous daughter ;)

norwegianne said:
The history aspect is what does it for me. I like the continuity of it all - and as I'm fascinated by odd pieces of trivia, it is an interesting hobby to have.

I can't remember when I wasn't interested in royalty, to put it like that.

That is my greatest interest in royality too - the history aspect. And also the family relations (the intricate family three of the European royal families). And perhaps a bit of the fairytale feeling and the childhood dream of becoming a princess...And also the important work most royals do with different social issues wide and far.

For me it was definately the history part as well as trying to find something to pass the time at work. I found the "Hello!"web site and they have a little column with all the reigning European families listed. So week by week I would pick a family and read about them. Once that was done, I did more searching and found this forum and another forum that truely amazes me with the amount of people that have vast knowlege about families, lands, castles, jewels, ect. It opened up a whole new world to me and I love it even more than I did before.
Not to mention that they (the Royals) are living a life that I would L.O.V.E. to live myself.

I started with the British royals as a result of watching Princess Anne's wedding to Mark Phillips ( a long time ago!) I'd always had a big interest in UK history so it just seemed natural to follow that interes into royalty. Then I got interested in other countries' royals (mainly the Romanovs, the Danish, Spanish, Greek, and Jordanian royals) so that expanded my enthusiasm. It's a fascinating subject.

Harken

Royals? RoyalFans?:In that Because of their nobleLIFE.

royalspiritTerrance

I have to agree that I love to live in a fantasy land and I like to think that fairy tales do come true and that the prince and princss can live happily ever after.

A little bit of fairy tales, a little bit of drama and glamour, and a little bit on thinking these royals, well most of them, are descendants of the ancient rulers that shaped humanity to what it is nowadays. Not that they are the ones to blame on our current problems. But, like with the religious 'aristocracy' there is always a sense of looking at them as something quite out of the ordinary, even when they are just flesh and blood like any of us.

But the same applies to Hollywood celebrities and recording stars. In countries that there are no royals (or just boring royals) the celebrities fill that void, that need to check out that magazine and see how the 'other half' lives. Like a car crash in the highway, you can't help but to slow down and look at it with curiosity. :cool:

Last edited:
For many of us the royal families and the monarchies are part of our cultural, historical and family back grounds. It has nothing to do with fairy tales or celebrities. Each country has its own history that resonates with the citizens - for me it is the royals and the history that they and my family has been part of. The King and Queens used to be much more involved in the destiny of their respective countries and therefore much more interesting in what and how they looked at the world around them.
This is peoples real life and heritage - hence the frequent exaspiration with any "hollywood" take on the issue.

Well, Hollywood Royalty is as good celebrity ticket as any blue bloods out there. Grace Kelly and Rita Hayworth, Hollywood Royalty, ended up marrying blueblooded Royalty and it was like they were above any other morgamatic bride. Princess Margaret (a blue blood royalty) had for one of her best pals none other than the Queen of Hollywood herself, Liz Taylor. So, up there above in the celebrity clouds, Hollwood Royalty sees real Royalty eye to eye. Just ask Angelina and Brad how many doors are opened for them.

Last edited:
I would have to say the first Royals that caught my attention was Monaco. A Long Long Time Ago in A Land Far Far Away!!
This was an American who married into a royal family and had children the same age as us. We were interested in how the other half lives, From a house in the forest 3 1/2 miles from your nearest neighbor (us) to a royal palace (them). Wow, can you imagine!!
When I got older the history aspect entered into my reasons for staying interested.

I guess for us is like a world a appart, it is somehow magic.
As kids we always read about Kingdoms, Kings, the beautiful Princess, the handsome Prince.. it is like a fascination.
I started being interested in royalty since I watched the royal wedding of Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia my fav royal couple! :flowers: :)

I have always liked to read about royalty of the past most of all. However until the wedding of Prince Felipe and Letizia I have liked this generation of royals as well. I think it is about the magic behind royals and how "perfect" their lives seem.

Human nature - curiosity.
We like to know what someone is doing and with whom, how long, how she/he looks. No matter if it's our family, neighbour or royals - we want know:brows: Different stylelifes, world!!!

First time I've heard about present royalty when I was very young - when Prince William started kindergarten. Next time were: 15th birthday of CPss Victoria after that 3 weddings of Elena&Jaime, Alexandra&Joachim and Cristina&Inaki - it started and still is.

Last edited:
I guess we all have our reasons for being interested in royalty. For me, it was a book I got for my birthday a couple of years ago. The Monarchies of the World. Once I read it, I was totally hooked. The history, the dresses, the jewels:D , the expectations, everything. I too, like to live in fantasy land once in awhile:lol: , and when your watching royalty, you get to do that. They show us a different lifestyle from the ones we lead. Their most "normal" day would be an unbelievable one for us.:flowers:

aj00192557 said:
im interested because their history and family lineage amazes me. you see these royals walking around just like regular people when some of them are descended from Marie-Antoinette or Isabella of Spain. i dont know if im accurate but im just very impressed with their blood lines.They may not be closely related but their lineage goes back in time. like letizia, she is supposed to be the first non royal princess of asturias, right?

i guess i got hooked, first watching the british royal family in the news (and with the death of diana:sad: ) i had a greater interest. i agree about how the royals descended from great historical figures that shaped the world today. now i am more interested in asian, pacific and the overthrown european monarchies such as russia, romania, bulgaria and prussia. and how normal current monarchs seem....:huh:

I was briefly interested when I was a teen in the seventies when Silvia married Carl Gustav of Sweden. But then, being German, it was all over and you could not really escape.

I live in the US now and became interested again when the BBC news broadcast the story of Mette-Marit's confessional. I was so surprised that the King of Norway would permit this wedding. At the same time Filipe of Spain was dating an underwear model and I wanted to know if she will actually become his wife. In my eyes she was leading a more exemplary life than M-M and I thought they would marry, but I was not sure. Well, I was hooked:)

This board keeps me abreast of all the single princes and where I can find them. Give me points for being honest! :wub:

sashajones said:
This board keeps me abreast of all the single princes and where I can find them. Give me points for being honest! :wub:

I'm glad we can help on your search for Mr. Right. :king:

I got interested in royalty because I just got fed up with all the tacky hollywood stars à la Paris Hilton, Britney Spears, Victoria Beckham, etc. Just look at the new generation of crown princesses, now they have style ! Think of the timeless elegance of Princess Mathilde, the good taste of Princess Letizia and many more ... People may say for example that Princess Beatrice wears old-fashioned clothes for her age. Well, even then I prefer much more Beatrices outfits above the sleazy ones I’ve seen Britney wearing. For me, royalty stands for classic elegance and good taste (although royals do make mistakes sometimes, they’re humans after all :)).

I'm interested in most of the Royals for a lot of the reason's already mentioned. They really are no different to you and I but they keep me coming back for more.
P.S, Coquine, I love the little puppy in your avatar, I smile every time I see him/her?

For me, it's mostly about the history. It was searching for historical royals and ended up at this message board.

Mari_* said:
I guess for us is like a world a appart, it is somehow magic.
As kids we always read about Kingdoms, Kings, the beautiful Princess, the handsome Prince.. it is like a fascination.
I agree. I think it's somehow magical. Royals all seem to have their own interesting history, which is interesting and entertaining to read about as well.

My reason is much the same as the others who have answered....the 'magic', the soap opera aspect, the glamour. I first became interested when Sarah F. married Andrew in 1986. I was 12 then so Diana was an interest but I was a little young when she got married. But then I got caught up in the wedding 'hoopla' and became a huge Diana and Sarah fan. I've also always loved our old Hollywood royalty also, so Grace Kelly and her family became favorites of mine, also, because I love her movies and she was always so classy. But really, I think it all boils down to a bit of what another poster said earlier in this thread--the celebrities today are on the very tacky side and Royalty still shows us what class and elegance are. I'd rather read about the 'real' lives of the Royal family than the exploits of Britney, Jessica, Angelina and Brad. The Royals also show you can be beautiful and sexy without taking your clothes off! There is just an unexplainable magic about Royalty and history and the mystique will always be there for me.

Back
Top Bottom