The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royal Chit Chat

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-13-2012, 03:36 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Rather randomly, I'm afraid.

I've always been interested in genealogy, which means a certain degree of interest in royalty and nobility too; however, modern royals families didn't attract my attention until I watched the wedding of Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel. I got interested, did a bit of research and finally joined this forum.

47 days and 1026 posts later, you could safely say I'm addicted, especially the parts connected with traditions, jewellery, genealogy and fashion.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:55 PM
Commoner

Very cool story, Angelique!

As for me, I think it all started a few years ago after watching a VH1 special on real-life Cinderellas. They talked about Máxima, Mette-Marit, Letizia, Mary... Something about the fact that these normal, everyday women had literally found their Prince Charmings and were living a real-life fairy tale sparked my interest. I now realize that being royal in this day and age would hardly be a fairy tale, but I still find myself checking the boards everyday to see what my favorite royals are up to!

My interest weaned a little during my junior year of high school, but then Victoria and Daniel got married the summer before my senior year and WHAM!, I was hooked once more. Ever since, modern-day royalty has been my main source of fascination, and for that, I blame the fact that we don't have royals here in the States! It's a whole new learning experience.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:09 PM
Serene Highness

:: previous :: what show was this, because I remember watching on VH1 "the fabulous life... of royal royals" but that was when Victoria was single and William. I guess that show made me love the royal lifestyle.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:17 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandduchess24
:: previous :: what show was this, because I remember watching on VH1 "the fabulous life... of royal royals" but that was when Victoria was single and William. I guess that show made me love the royal lifestyle.
I saw that one as well, but the real-life Cinderellas was a different special. This one not only talked about these "girls next door" who married actual royalty, but regular people who married other celebrities (e.g. Jessica Alba's husband Cash Warren, Matt Damon's wife Lucia). It's been a while now and I don't even receive VH1 anymore, I don't know if they still show it from time to time.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:40 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruununprinsessa View Post
I saw that one as well, but the real-life Cinderellas was a different special. This one not only talked about these "girls next door" who married actual royalty, but regular people who married other celebrities (e.g. Jessica Alba's husband Cash Warren, Matt Damon's wife Lucia). It's been a while now and I don't even receive VH1 anymore, I don't know if they still show it from time to time.
Dear Prinsessa, Can you remember the name of that special? I would LOVE to see it...... Thank you.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:06 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelique

Dear Prinsessa, Can you remember the name of that special? I would LOVE to see it...... Thank you.
I looked and unfortunately couldn't find any video from it, but I did find this synopsis on VH1's official website:

http://www.vh1.com/shows/fabulous_li...isodeID=139725

I wish I could tell you more! Maybe this will help you watch out for it if it they ever show it on VH1 again. :)
Old 05-31-2012, 07:06 PM
Aristocracy

ever since the royal wedding
i've been mostly interesting in queen Victoria see is just so interesting 2 me i hope i have that many kids when i marry and the grandchildren and great grandchildren i wonder if she had any trouble remember names
Old 05-31-2012, 07:48 PM
Courtier

I blame it all on Grimm's fairytales and Romy Schneider as Sissi. I was three years old, saw her in the movies and totally fell for her and everything related to a monarchy
Old 06-01-2012, 12:06 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandduchess24 View Post
You guys are the people I should have on Facebook because it is only here that I find these type of people who enjoy royalty.
I'll second that. People on my list (and in my life for that matter) roll their eyes at me when I mention anything royalty-related.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:17 AM

Ever since I was a little child I enjoyed going to old castles much more than any themepark or other things for children.
I also believed that my great grandmother was GD Anastasia when I was little since they shared similar troubles during the revolution in Russia.
Couple that with a few Disney princesses and a pretty royally obsessed country.
My parents always hated the royals though, but they mostly kept quiet about it when I was little for which I'm grateful.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:28 AM

I'm a history junkie and I love sightseeing old buildings, and especially castles! Being in one helps me to imagine how life would be like in the past.

I think the royals and the nobles are the first and real celebrities. I also grew up with the stories that starts with 'once upon a time, in a kingdom far far away...', and ends with '... and the live happily ever after', which most of them are involved with stories about a prince and princess.

*daydreaming*
Old 06-11-2012, 01:02 PM

Hi, I'm new here. I'm a history junkie myself. One day in fifth grade, I was bored and was hanging out in my school's library when I stumbled upon this comics on Mary Queen of Scotts and I couldn't put it down- I read it cover to cover and since then I have been reading books about her life. I have been searching for the comics I read on the net but had no luck at all. I'm also quite interested in the life of Catherine of Aragon. I have also read books like Hope Cook- the american who became the Queen of Sikkim. Also am a big fan of castles and hope to be able to see European Castles soon :-)
Old 06-11-2012, 01:21 PM
Aristocracy

because they are fun people and it is great to trace back their history also they throw great weddings
Old 06-12-2012, 12:50 AM
Commoner

I've always been interested in royalty. I remember, when I was very young, I always wanted to be a princess. Years later, I started doing genealogy research, when I found that I am distantly related to many of the European monarchies. I was shocked when I found that out! I started doing a lot more research on monarchies after that.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:38 AM
Serene Highness

Living in a country that is a monarchy it was quite natural for me to become interested in the Swedish royal family, as there were articles and photos of the king and the rest of his family in magazines and newspapers, and also of royals from other countries. The more I read about king Gustaf VI Adolf, the more I admired him as a person (I was 15 when he died) and I also admired prince Bertil and later princess Lilian. I was also fascinated by the love story between Harald and Sonja of Norway, their engagement and wedding was the first royal wedding I remember watching.

An other reason for my interest in royalty is that I love history and reading about historical persons, both fiction and non-fiction books, and royals have often played a major part in history through the ages, from the ancient pharaohs until World War I, not just in wars and governing countries, but also when it comes to culture, such as building castles and collecting art, supporting artists and so on.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:55 PM
Serene Highness

I became interested in royalty after reading a book about French royalty. I was about 17 years old at the time. I think in my case the interest had a lot to do with the fact that royals live very different lives than others.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:03 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Prince William and Catherine Middleton's wedding back in 2011 got me interested in royalty. Also, When I was little, I remember having lots of Princess- style dressing up clothes and accessories. I used to spend rainy days playing at being a princess and practicing the royal wave!

I also agree with Meraude, about the fact that it's quite natural for people who live in a country with a monarchy to become more interested in it.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 01-12-2013, 03:11 PM
Courtier

I got interested back when Princess Elizabeth was going to marry Philip. I was a starry eyed young girl with big dreams. And yes, I am that old.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:22 PM
Serene Highness

My interest in royalty prior to Princess Diana getting married was of the Stuart Line or royals of the past. I've read several books on King Charles II and his brother King James. Why I was fascinated with these two Monarchs I don't know. Still am to a certain degree. Watched a movie about Henry VIII and his wives.

Didn't really follow the British monarchy until Prince Charles was engaged to Princess Diana. My interest in royalty further deepened when Princess Diana married Prince Charles. The fact that she was in my age group (I'm a year younger than her) probably factored into my interest. I got a book about the royal wedding. The book had a family tree on Princess Diana which I found to be quite interesting.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

When I was a little kid I thought royalty was something made up in the childrens books and cartoons. Once I became a young teen, my interest in royalty began.

My family think it's wierd that I'm interested in what's going on in the royal world. They don't think it's right to know a great deal about The Queen and the royal family. It really ignored them when I became too excited about William & Catherine's engagement and wedding, lol.