The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royal Chit Chat

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-10-2010, 10:12 PM
Nobility

Option 2 is one reason why I love monarchies but mainly its the histories of the people who ran them is what keeps me hooked.

Be who you are And say what you feel Because those who mind don't matter And those who matter don't mind-Dr. Seuss
Old 07-10-2010, 10:17 PM
Nobility

For me Option 2 is probably the closest - I love the big occasions eg Victorias wedding and the opportunity to see the jewels and tiaras etc. So I guess it is a bit of escapism from the everyday of my life - it is not like I get the opportunity to wear tiara's jewels, gowns or hats to do the groceries!!

I have also always been fascinated by the Tudor and Victorian stages of British History and these forums have provided another source of views and information in relation to those periods.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystone View Post
Now then, why do you believe that you hold these convictions? As an American, I have to admit I am at a loss as to why I am interested in other countries monarchies. In no way would I ever contemplate a monarchy for America. That notion makes me sick to my stomach. But I do admit that when I look to Spain or the Netherlands, or Denmark or many other nations, I do like the idea.. .for them… of having a monarch and royal family. And I don’t know why. Intellectually, it doesn’t make much sense to me. I am a middle of the road politically, I do believe in individual civil liberties, freedom of speech, all which is enshrined in the US Bill of Rights. And more too. But, for some unexplained reason, I like some of the ceremony of I see in the Spanish constitutional arrangement, or sometimes even the English one.

My question is, are there others who also share these concerns?
I've thought a lot about this over the past 2 years and honestly my opinion has changed as I learned more what the UK governmental system is. I used to think that with having a Royal family... they were above all and if I was a British citizen I'd be having to curtsy to someone that was my "better". Today if I did have the privelege to meet HM Queen Elizabeth, I would do a little curtsy for one reason. Out of respect and admiration.

With a constitutional monarchy, the UK and the commonwealth nations politically is very much like the US with its parties and Prime Minister. HM is the Head of State but has very little political power. What she does represent to me is an ongoing, continuous history with all the pomp and circumstance of ages and ages of tradition...a continuing line of history. I live near Washington, D.C. and I also get a sense of awe gazing at the original Declaration of Independence. (of course I also need to stop and make sure my rock is still safe... that Hope diamond is gorgeous!

When you really think about it... A lot of what the US is stems from Britain originally. If the American Revolution hadn't happened, we'd most likely now be a commonwealth nation like Canada with folks for a republic or a monarchy. Regardless its been proven that America loves the Queen
Old 07-10-2010, 10:20 PM
Majesty

Excellent topic!

I am a passionate student/lover of history, and my interest in the different monarchies of the world stem primarily from that passion.

BUT...I hate, loathe, and DESPISE with the heat of a thousand suns the elevation and obsession(primarily here in the US}with Hollywood and the celebrity fixation that elevates these people and everything they do...from marrying and divorcing, entering and re-entering re-hab, having babies, etc to the level of NEWS...this goes double for reality TV "personalities".

I am sure it sounds very snobbish but I mostly don't care about show business or athletes and their lives...at all.

I have always-since childhood-been much more interested in Royalty.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:14 AM
Aristocracy

I, like others, have a tremendous sense of history and tradition, a passion for history and so the past, present and future of royalty is part of that. I have also taken interest in royalty in Africa and other places where they aren't sovereign rulers but play an enormous traditional, cultural and even spiritual role.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:51 AM
Courtier

I suppose the reason I am interested in royalty is because I initailly found all the pomp and majestys unbelievably captivating, but grew to realise that there is a lto more to being royal than siting in a carriage wearing a crown and waving to adoring subjects. I guess I would fit under both of Keystone's options - not only am I passionately, fudamentaly and stubbornly opposed to the diea of an Australian Republic, I also am intrugied by the various political, social, and military roles performed by the various Royal Houses of the World.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:37 PM
Aristocracy

I have royal blood I have to study my ancestry
Old 08-02-2010, 05:16 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I've always had a fascination with the BRF, and when I found this website I became more interested in the Danish Royals.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:57 AM
Aristocracy

My mother is interested in history. As a child I was taken all over to look at castles and historic houses, so I suppose the interest came from there. I don't know very much about the non British royals, not the more recent ones anyway, so TRF is a great place to visit to improve my knowledge and expand my interest.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Heir Apparent

A very long time ago, my grandma used to come home with Point de Vue magazine... it has never stopped since !
Old 08-14-2010, 06:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne83 View Post
I have royal blood I have to study my ancestry

Very impressive. Will you share your findings with the rest of us?
Old 08-14-2010, 08:48 AM
Serene Highness

When I was in high school I read a book about French Princess who managed to avoid the guillotine and escaped. I also at that time read a book about British Royalty. I don't know why but the lives of Charles II and his brother James were very interesting to me. The fact that they had so many mistresses and children was interesting to me. I didn't know at the time that there was royalty in my veins.

I knew that there were other royalty besides British royalty, but I really didn't know much about them (still really don't). Because they live in a different world than most of us, I just find it interesting.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:02 PM
Courtier

Talking

I saw Princess Margaret's wedding when I was a kid. I've been hooked ever since!
Old 08-27-2010, 03:04 PM
Aristocracy

I am not really really interrested in royals. But I always liked to see the big weddings on tv. My first one was princess Margarets too, I was a child then and saw it with my mother. The reason I found this forum is that after the wedding of CP Victoria I could not get enough of that lovely couple who just oozes out love and happyness. It has become such a complex and often gloom world, one needs a bit of the right stuff!
Old 12-01-2010, 03:37 PM
Serene Highness

My interest started with Caroline of Monaco with her relationship with Junot and just grew from there.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Seeing pics of QE2 and Princess Di in books of my mom's when I was small ... made me want to know more. The rest is history!
Plus it has good memories for me.. My grandma who has now passed away and I would spend hours pouring over the latest Majesty together.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:21 PM
Serene Highness

Studying history of England at university. I swear my professor was in love with Elizabeth I and II and his interest in the royal family hooked me as well.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:04 AM
Serene Highness

I more or less became interested in royalty on my own. My family didn't really have too much of an interest. To me, what the royals wore, the parties that they went to was fascinating to me. This still does. For the average person, this seems like a very glamous lifestyle although in reality it isn't always that way.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:44 PM
Nobility

I love history so the idea of castles and real-life princes and princesses fascinated me. However,it first came to my attention when Diana died and the Wessexes married. Then,through reading magazines like Hello! I became aware of other Royal Families. I love the British and the Spanish. Sofia is an inspiration- so dignified but yet so warm. She gets the balance perfect!!
Old 12-18-2010, 10:25 PM
Serene Highness

I think many people are interested in royalty because they live in a different world than we do. Sometimes different worlds are fascinating to us because we will never experience this.