The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royal Chit Chat

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-02-2008, 03:28 PM
Gentry

Wow, Chantal is like my 'story' almost to a T!! I became interested in the Royal family mainly when Sarah married Andrew in 1986....I was 12 yrs. old. I always liked Diana, but the Sarah/Andrew hype really started my interest in reading about them. I remember I had a stack of books/magazines beside my bed and I would literally go through my stack every day and look at the pictures and articles. Then being a huge old movie buff, I was interested in the Grimaldis because of the beautiful Grace Kelly. I started getting Majesty and Royalty Monthly around 1988 (same as Chantal :-) and that kept me updated on the goings-on in the Royal Family more. I admit, years ago I skipped over the 'old' Royals (like history) but eventually I started reading each and every article and now I pretty much feel like I know the Royal family more than I know my own!! The history fascinates me also now. It's been a lifelong obsession since I was 12 yrs. old--there could be worse things in life, right??

Old 02-04-2008, 03:05 AM
Courtier

Wow, I am almost the same like you, Angiep because I am also intrested in "old" royals like Empress Catherine of Russia, Sissi, King Ludwig of Bavaria and some others and I am also a huge movie buff like you. I have always loved celebrities since I was 10 or 11 years old. I enjoyed reading about the old and current celebrities. Especially right now, I am reading so much about Britney Spears who have a bipolar disorder and is currently in the hospital. I hope she will get better once she gets of the hospital but I have a feeling she might not change at all.

I keep a stack of magazines/books about royals too and I agree with you, it's a lifelong obsession. I beleive you are right that there could be worse in life. It's amazing that we have simliar intrerests in royalty and celebrities since we were 11 or 12 years old. And, I was aslo intrested in Grimaldis because of Grace Kelly and thought she was a beautiful woman and so regal and kind person.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:37 PM
Aristocracy

Alexandre Dumas

By reading the Alexandre Dumas saga when I was a teen.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:41 PM
Aristocracy

cause i'm directly related to King Canute The Great and His Grandpa is King Harald Bluetooth.

http://deltaboogie.com/deltamusicians/hawkinsr/
Read the story before the hawk flew by part IV
http://www.surnameweb.org/cornett/surname-origin.htm

http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames....41.989/mb.ashx

here is another link http://genforum.genealogy.com/cgi-bi...nett::659.html
Old 03-05-2008, 02:12 AM
Gentry

fourth grade...i couldnt find a book to do my winter break book report on and i found this book on the street and it happened to be about princess diana and ive been hooked ever since....my life hobby is royalty lol
Old 03-05-2008, 11:05 PM
Nobility

Well, I'm usually more interested in Royalty from a historic perspective. I like reading about history and biographies of people in history so that just kind of lends itself towards Royalty sometimes. But I became interested in this site when I was looking for a Spanish Crest and trying to find some information on I think King Alfonso XIII's family. And then I became interested in Monaco, I guess because of Grace originally, as an American it's a family I'm more familiar with and seems a special little place.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:50 AM
Aristocracy

I first got into royalty when Prince Andrew and Fergie got married in 1986. I then got into Diana and was buying magazines every week about her. I am now into the British, Spanish and Swedish royals.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

I got interested when my aunt told me the story of my grandmother and grandfather, he was noble and she was the governest, so in those days he could not married a commoner, so they decided to get married anyway, he lost his title and money and scaped from denmark, to argentina, passing from england first.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:05 PM
Nobility

If you read history how can you not be?
Old 12-02-2009, 12:37 AM
Aristocracy

I've always been interested in historical royalty, but what got me interested in modern royals was reading about Crown Princess Mary of Denmark in a newspaper.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

I was always a history buff so thats where my initial interest in royalty started. But it wasn't until Lady Diana died that I become really interested. I was so confused when she died and why so many people were sad. I had no idea princess's were real, I even thought for a second she was a princesss of america. lol. but then as i watched the funeral, i started to research and then found out about grace kelly and the romanovs and all the other royals of the world. and now here i am scouring the boards late into the night soaking in all the splendor.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

As a young girl, I woke up at 3am in the USA to watch Diana wed Charles live in London. I think I was hooked from then on....
Old 12-17-2009, 05:25 AM
Courtier

When I was little I was very impressed at the idea that there was a woman ( Queen Elizabeth II) who lived in London in a fancy building ruling more than 1 country and got to wear crowns and tiaras and came to Australia once in a while. As I got older, I became more impressed in what that rich old lady actually did and why she lived in her fancy building etc etc. I slowly found more out about the history and pagentry of the British Monarchy and was suprised to find out that were more monarchies when I stayed up late to watch Crown Princess Mary of Denmark get married and saw hundreds of other wearing tiaras and royal uniforms.

And that's how I ended up here....
Old 12-21-2009, 02:44 PM
Serene Highness

I was 9-10 years old... I saw a pic from Queen Noor. She wore beautiful white evening gown, diamond tiara, blond hairstyle. I tought she came from the Brothers Grimm Tales, but she was veritable Queen.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:02 AM
Gentry

What drives your interest in monarchy?

KK, hello all.

I’m not much of a Royal Forums poster, but I did discover and join this site way back when I reorganized the Wiki article on the Monarchy of Spain. Now, I had a question to ask then but never posted it. And now, perhaps, I may explore this question in more detail with you the community!

Essentially, my question is what drives your interest in ‘monarchy’ in general? If you sit down and think about it intellectually I mean. We, collectively, do have an interest in monarchy, which has brought us to these great networking forums. But what is it in particular that motivates you to be more active in seeking out others that share this interest?

If I was able to devise a poll, I suppose the questions would be:

Option 1: Primarily political in nature: I am a die hard monarchist and believe in the political theory of monarchy in general, whether absolute or constitutional.

Option 2: Primarily social in nature: I primarily enjoy the social aspects of royalty, from gowns to crowns to titles and tiaras. They are ‘my’ celebrities.

Now then, why do you believe that you hold these convictions? As an American, I have to admit I am at a loss as to why I am interested in other countries monarchies. In no way would I ever contemplate a monarchy for America. That notion makes me sick to my stomach. But I do admit that when I look to Spain or the Netherlands, or Denmark or many other nations, I do like the idea.. .for them… of having a monarch and royal family. And I don’t know why. Intellectually, it doesn’t make much sense to me. I am a middle of the road politically, I do believe in individual civil liberties, freedom of speech, all which is enshrined in the US Bill of Rights. And more too. But, for some unexplained reason, I like some of the ceremony of I see in the Spanish constitutional arrangement, or sometimes even the English one.

My question is, are there others who also share these concerns?
Old 07-10-2010, 09:09 AM
Commoner

Hello@keystone

I am new here, and since three days in this forum.
I found it, when i searching for infos about Eleanor of Aquitaine in google.
So i had registered, because i want to discuss with other people who admire Eleanor(she was Queen of france and England and had lived from 1122-1204)

I am not very interested in the royals of today, my interest are the royals of the middle-ages. And so i registered, because here is a category with "royal history"

So the options you call(1 and 2) dont apply for me.

For me i must made an option 3:

I am very fascinated from the middle Age royals(especially eleanor)
I think the monarchy of today is not so much interesting like the monarchy of middle ages.
In the middle ages there were so much interesing personaltiys in the royal familys.
I really admire Eleanor of Aqutaine which was a very strong-mindet und tough woman.

I am not a fan of the royals of our days, but i love watching royal weddings on TV, because thats so romantic.
I live in Germany, and we had a morchy until 1918. And i think its a pitty that we didnt have it today, because monarchy brings a lot of tourists in the land.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:00 PM
Serene Highness

I love watching the royal weddings and enjoy seeing what the royals wear.

For me option 2 is probably the main reason why I'm interested in this forum. Unless they are British royalty, you don't hear too much about the other royal households in the United States. What is interesting to me is how many individuals out there are of royal blood (thousands of people throughout the world).
Old 07-10-2010, 02:23 PM
Nobility

It's an escape for me, like reading a good book.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:24 PM
Serene Highness

I love looking at the beautiful gowns that they wear. Only on a handful of occasions have I ever worn an gown. My mother sewed the gown I wore and I wore this gown about 4 times. I was envious of those who wore a gown once and could afford to get a new one for each occasion.

To me, the world of royalty is much different than the average person. I'm looking at it on the outside. It's interesting because they always seem to be going here, going there, going to this party, going to a fashion show or something is going on with them all the time.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Ahh... why am I here? Great question!

I remember growing up in the 50s and 60s and my mother remarking "the Queen does this... and the Queen wears that.. and the Queen would NEVER.." You get the idea. Prince Charles was just a bit older than I was and of course he'd be the Prince Charming who'd give me that happy ever after in the fairy tale dreams I had. I hated history in school but like Eleanor of Aquitaine... I was drawn to the Middle Ages and Camelot and King Arthur and the legends of the Holy Grail.. the romanticism.

As a young wife with children I watched the fairy tale wedding of Charles and Diana and thought she was just perfect... the princess of happy ever after. The Wars of the Wales was going on as I was going through my divorce so of course I totally sided with Diana... how COULD he.. being American the "rags" at the checkout lines gave me all the latest news from across the pond. Since that time, my children got older and had their own lives and I had more time to do what I love best. READ!
I'm an armchair archaeologist and that of course will lead you into reading history. If I had to really choose a period, again its the middle ages.. the Merovingians, the Crusades, the Knight Templars and Cathars and all.

How'd I get to the TRF? Oddly it was hats. Someone I was talking to got on the subject of hats and mentioned fascinators. When you think hats.. you think Ascot so I googled Ascot and linked here. My hubby at the time was working 24-36 hour shifts at a time and I think most of those hours were spent here reading everything... I devoured anything and everything royal. That was 2 years ago and this is still my most checked website. I've learned a lot from the wealth of information everyone here has and finally a couple months ago I actually started posting.

There should be an option in the poll for people like me that are here for um... everything.