The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-06-2007, 03:26 AM
Aristocracy

I've always been interested but didn't really go out of my way until I became sick and convalescing meant I had time on my hands. With the internet, CP Frederick marrying CP Mary and plenty of time .... oh ... boy ... plenty of time.... I was lucky to have a laptop available to me and I just started looking up things ... this forum really helped a lot because it is such a meeting point and has so mush information so THANK YOU TRFs!! You have helped me pass many a long hour in bed.

PS: Oh! I just remembered ... I did collect magazines featuring Princess Diana when I was younger ... and I bought a couple of books but my knowledge of the royal families has only really grown since I've had time and access to the internet.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:26 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena View Post
I remember that I´ve asked once, if you think that Royal-watching is embarrassing or not. And now I want do know, why are you interested in Royals?

For myself I guess it´s the community...if I wouldn´t find people, with which I could discuss Royal stuff, I probably wouldn´t be that interested anymore. When I was younger I was caught of all this glamour and the pure princessy image...but today I see them more as ordinary people (not as "Saints" anymore), who do interesting things, caused through their roles, upbringing etc.
But the community is surely the biggest factor. It´s as if you would immerse in a completely quiet own little world, where you know the "rules of the game" and where you can relax.
My friend introduced me to this interest but he himself is not interested into this hobby anymore now.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:33 PM
Nobility

When we were children we were not allowed to turn on a radio or television on Sunday at my grandparent's house when we would for visit the entire day. The only form of entertainment was to read...and they had a library full of history and royal biographies..Thus my love for royalty preceded any formal education or history class. I learned to read being fascinated about Edward VII..and the Edwardian age..which my grandmother could relate how life was for her during those years.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:37 PM
Gentry

I became interested in Royalty when Diana came on the scene. I pretty much lost interest when she died. I'm getting back into it now, although it just insn't the same.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:18 PM
Aristocracy

I can't remember when or how I got interested in royalty . . . It's too long time ago. First I was interested in the british royals, I think it was in 1999 or 2000 or 2001 . . . but nowadays I like the Grimaldis more.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:13 PM
Nobility

On september 1st 1997, I first heard the word princess and for the past ten years I've been reading about it. What mostly gets my attention these days other royal families, like the grimaldi's, the Bernadottes, the bourbon's and so on... No offense to the british, but hearing about them all the time is tiring and hearing about the others are new to me.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:45 PM
Commoner

How did you get interested in royalty?

Being a child with asthma, I had to stay indoors alot and to pass the time I would read books - all kinds. I remember watching the wedding of Prince Charles and Lady Diana on tv and I got hooked into reading biographies, mainly about the British Royal Family.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:54 AM
Commoner

When i was 4 years old i saw a pic of Prince felipe and felt in love
I was sooo in Love i made my family crazy
And my Grandma was a fan of Grace kelly and she watched every movie and i watched it too i really love the movies they are great.
And i think every girl wants to be a princess
Old 09-13-2007, 12:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie40 View Post
..Thus my love for royalty preceded any formal education or history class. I learned to read being fascinated about Edward VII..and the Edwardian age..which my grandmother could relate how life was for her during those years.
How lucky you are.
My family thinks I'm totally nuts. For as long as I can remember, I would always read books or anything that I could get my hands on that dealt with Edwardian history. Then it went to Princess Diana and the RF.
I would read up on the history of the palaces and castles.
Now my family still think that I'm nuts, but not so much. It took a trip to Europe and me explaining the history behind everything we saw for them to understand my fascination with everything.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:49 PM
Aristocracy

When I was in the 4th grade, our school instituted it's first honor roll program. If your grade point average was 3.0 to 3.4, you made the second honor roll and got a pretty card with your name in silver letters. If you made the first honor roll which was for a grade point average of 3.5 or better, your name was in gold letters. Anyway, I was the only kid in my grade to make the first honor roll, so I came in for a lot of attention.

A couple weeks later, I'm in English class and Sister Loretta stops by my desk and requests my homework assignment. For some reason, I had completely forgotten about it so I told her that I was sorry, but I forgot to do it.

"You forgot to do it!" Just because you made the first honor roll, you think you don't have to do homework?! Prince Charles has to do his homework and he's going to be King!"

That all sounded great to me, but who was Prince Charles? I went to my local library and found a book about the Royal Family. Through the years, I started reading more and more books about Charles and the other British royals and then expanded to other royal families. Also, I attended a Catholic elementary school and every once in a while we would get some story about Princess Caroline of Monaco.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:38 AM
Heir Apparent

My key to the royal world were the narrations of my grandfather, when he was a soldier in World War 2. He told them so interesting that my interest in history was awaked. Then I want to know everything about the history and I learn that there are kings and queens and so on. And then I want to know everything about them, and now, I am a royal watcher!
Old 10-18-2007, 04:47 AM
Nobility

i was never interested much in royalty, even in my own country. but about 4 years ago, i was bored and surfed the net for hours when i saw a picture of charlotte walking up the stairs, holding a skateboard. and i went, wow she's royal? and playing skateboards? and gorgeous? so, i started reading everything i could about her, and her brothers and family until now. boy, i love that girl.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:39 AM
Royal Highness

I think it started when I was born on Queen Victoria's birthday, and compounded by watching Princess Diana and Sarah Ferguson's weddings on tv growing up.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:08 PM
Commoner

I became interested in Royalty in 1992 during the crisis of the British Royal Marriages.I became fascinated with Sarah,the Duchess of York.I did not know that the British Royal Family was for real and I was suprised that the Queen had another daughter-in-law that was a redhead.I thought that Royalty was just part of fairytales and make beleive.I had a classmate named Suzy who lent me her mother's copy of Robert Lacey's Majesty and I just devoured that book for a whole day.After that I became addicted.I borrowed every book on the British Royal Family and the Russian Imperial Family.I watched all the Royalty specials on TV and the small screen movies like,Andrew and Fergie;Behind the Palace Doors,Charles and Diana Unhappily ever after,and Diana Her True Story.As years passed I went to the other European Royal Families and read everything about them.Basically my interest in them had to do with their great wealth,their power,their glamour,the lavish Palaces and Castles.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:21 PM
Gentry

- Since I was a young boy I love the style (long robes, shiny clothes, and jewels) of the princesses.
- then there was the pop-music time and steering my interest to stephanie´s songs. It was refereshed in 1991 by a sad event. Also her look, it was sometimes different of the mainstream, sometimes alien-like - a strong woman, but these days its her soft smile (and of course her work she is doing like FAM apart from the default princely tasks)
- related to a the scuba and sailing hobby - Prince Alberts I Exploration with Princesse Alice I/II, the support and connections of the Monaco Princely Family for Cousteau, the Oceanic Museum in MC ...
- and at least everyone loves and dreams of fairy tails, someone watching kitchy movies others reading about their faivourite royals and their festivities (a foreign and alien-like world compared to our simple life )
women dreaming of a her strong prince, men dreaming of a princesse ... so its me too ...
Old 12-13-2007, 07:32 PM
Serene Highness

lady anne

I think my interest began when I was very young because my grandmother would always tell me stories about our family. Although the information wasnt much, I would be in awe and have beautiful cinderella like dreams. As I grew older I watched the weddings of Diana and Sarah and kept up with all the news about Queen Elizabeth and the house of England. I have loved it ever since.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:36 PM
Courtier

I became interested in royalty when I have read a book about Empress Zita of Austria (the book is in French : "Zita impératrice courage").
Old 01-25-2008, 08:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Oh geez. With this obsession? Let's see, I've SEEN it for a long time. But it really got hold when things were all interconnected and related. Like I read a bio. on Coco Chanel, well she took Grand Duke Dmitry as a lover, so that lead to checking out the Romanovs, every little bit of it, then they, of course were related to the Windsors, and I had to check that out, thoroughly. And then I came back to Russia and found out that there was a Duchy of Courland and she had a daughter that was Metternich's lover, and another that was The Duchess of Dino, oh hell, who was her father-in-law? What's his name in France. Well, from France I went to Napoleon, and Napoleon III and Eugenie, and back in time to Aquataine. Yeah. It's a mess. I ought to be committed. . . . .
Old 01-27-2008, 04:15 AM
Courtier

I first got intrested in Sarah, Duchess of York and Prince Andrew when they got engaged in March 1986. I saw a picture of their enagement in the newspaper. Then I watched their wedding on July 23rd. 1986. I was 11 years old at that time. Then a short while later, I found out there are more British royal family like Princess Diana and others. Then a few years later, I found out there are more royalty from Europe, I fell in love with European and World royalty espeically, Monaco royal family who I am totally crazy about. I love Princesses Grace, Caroline and Stephanie of Monaco. They are my all-time favourite royals. Ever since 1988, I bought Royalty and Majesty magazines. Royalty magazine is my all-time favourite and I still buy the magazine. And, I am still intrested in royalty to this day, ever since 1986.

I met Sarah, Duchess of York twice, in 1987 and 1991. The first time I saw Sarah when she was with Prince Andrew in July 1987 in Cobourg, Ontario. It's a small town in Ontario, one hour away from Toronto and the second time I saw her was at the horse show in Toronto in November 1991. And, I also met the late Princess Diana, Prince Charles and their two sons, Princes William and Harry outside the church in Toronto in October 1991. I even shook all of their hands. I will never forget that day! Sorry to post a long message.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:56 AM
Commoner

My big interest, has been and always will be, is politics. At first I thought that our monarchy didn't ment something in this world but when I realized it actually did, I was hooked. It is a superior form of gouverment where the head of state by tradition (many times as old as the country itself) inherits his job, he or she is educated and prepered his entire life, and to have a neutral factor in the questionable world of politics is a resource and lays in great benefit for the country. First i just reflected about the political and influential part of monarchy and later on I started to read about them and their ancestery.