How / Why did you get interested in royalty?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Option 2 is one reason why I love monarchies but mainly its the histories of the people who ran them is what keeps me hooked.

For me Option 2 is probably the closest - I love the big occasions eg Victorias wedding and the opportunity to see the jewels and tiaras etc. So I guess it is a bit of escapism from the everyday of my life - it is not like I get the opportunity to wear tiara's jewels, gowns or hats to do the groceries!!

I have also always been fascinated by the Tudor and Victorian stages of British History and these forums have provided another source of views and information in relation to those periods.

Now then, why do you believe that you hold these convictions? As an American, I have to admit I am at a loss as to why I am interested in other countries monarchies. In no way would I ever contemplate a monarchy for America. That notion makes me sick to my stomach. But I do admit that when I look to Spain or the Netherlands, or Denmark or many other nations, I do like the idea.. .for them… of having a monarch and royal family. And I don’t know why. Intellectually, it doesn’t make much sense to me. I am a middle of the road politically, I do believe in individual civil liberties, freedom of speech, all which is enshrined in the US Bill of Rights. And more too. But, for some unexplained reason, I like some of the ceremony of I see in the Spanish constitutional arrangement, or sometimes even the English one.

My question is, are there others who also share these concerns?

I've thought a lot about this over the past 2 years and honestly my opinion has changed as I learned more what the UK governmental system is. I used to think that with having a Royal family... they were above all and if I was a British citizen I'd be having to curtsy to someone that was my "better". Today if I did have the privelege to meet HM Queen Elizabeth, I would do a little curtsy for one reason. Out of respect and admiration.

With a constitutional monarchy, the UK and the commonwealth nations politically is very much like the US with its parties and Prime Minister. HM is the Head of State but has very little political power. What she does represent to me is an ongoing, continuous history with all the pomp and circumstance of ages and ages of tradition...a continuing line of history. I live near Washington, D.C. and I also get a sense of awe gazing at the original Declaration of Independence. (of course I also need to stop and make sure my rock is still safe... that Hope diamond is gorgeous!

When you really think about it... A lot of what the US is stems from Britain originally. If the American Revolution hadn't happened, we'd most likely now be a commonwealth nation like Canada with folks for a republic or a monarchy. Regardless its been proven that America loves the Queen

Excellent topic!

I am a passionate student/lover of history, and my interest in the different monarchies of the world stem primarily from that passion.

BUT...I hate, loathe, and DESPISE with the heat of a thousand suns the elevation and obsession(primarily here in the US}with Hollywood and the celebrity fixation that elevates these people and everything they do...from marrying and divorcing, entering and re-entering re-hab, having babies, etc to the level of NEWS...this goes double for reality TV "personalities". :bang:

I am sure it sounds very snobbish but I mostly don't care about show business or athletes and their lives...at all.

I have always-since childhood-been much more interested in Royalty.

I, like others, have a tremendous sense of history and tradition, a passion for history and so the past, present and future of royalty is part of that. I have also taken interest in royalty in Africa and other places where they aren't sovereign rulers but play an enormous traditional, cultural and even spiritual role.

I suppose the reason I am interested in royalty is because I initailly found all the pomp and majestys unbelievably captivating, but grew to realise that there is a lto more to being royal than siting in a carriage wearing a crown and waving to adoring subjects. I guess I would fit under both of Keystone's options - not only am I passionately, fudamentaly and stubbornly opposed to the diea of an Australian Republic, I also am intrugied by the various political, social, and military roles performed by the various Royal Houses of the World.

I have royal blood I have to study my ancestry

I've always had a fascination with the BRF, and when I found this website I became more interested in the Danish Royals.

My mother is interested in history. As a child I was taken all over to look at castles and historic houses, so I suppose the interest came from there. I don't know very much about the non British royals, not the more recent ones anyway, so TRF is a great place to visit to improve my knowledge and expand my interest.

A very long time ago, my grandma used to come home with Point de Vue magazine... it has never stopped since !

When I was in high school I read a book about French Princess who managed to avoid the guillotine and escaped. I also at that time read a book about British Royalty. I don't know why but the lives of Charles II and his brother James were very interesting to me. The fact that they had so many mistresses and children was interesting to me. I didn't know at the time that there was royalty in my veins.

I knew that there were other royalty besides British royalty, but I really didn't know much about them (still really don't). Because they live in a different world than most of us, I just find it interesting.

I saw Princess Margaret's wedding when I was a kid. I've been hooked ever since!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I am not really really interrested in royals. But I always liked to see the big weddings on tv. My first one was princess Margarets too, I was a child then and saw it with my mother. The reason I found this forum is that after the wedding of CP Victoria I could not get enough of that lovely couple who just oozes out love and happyness. It has become such a complex and often gloom world, one needs a bit of the right stuff!

My interest started with Caroline of Monaco with her relationship with Junot and just grew from there.

Seeing pics of QE2 and Princess Di in books of my mom's when I was small ... made me want to know more. The rest is history!
Plus it has good memories for me.. My grandma who has now passed away and I would spend hours pouring over the latest Majesty together.

Studying history of England at university. I swear my professor was in love with Elizabeth I and II and his interest in the royal family hooked me as well.

I more or less became interested in royalty on my own. My family didn't really have too much of an interest. To me, what the royals wore, the parties that they went to was fascinating to me. This still does. For the average person, this seems like a very glamous lifestyle although in reality it isn't always that way.

I love history so the idea of castles and real-life princes and princesses fascinated me. However,it first came to my attention when Diana died and the Wessexes married. Then,through reading magazines like Hello! I became aware of other Royal Families. I love the British and the Spanish. Sofia is an inspiration- so dignified but yet so warm. She gets the balance perfect!!

I think many people are interested in royalty because they live in a different world than we do. Sometimes different worlds are fascinating to us because we will never experience this.

My interest started when I was young seeing pictures of Viscountess Linley marrying- she looked like such a princess! (yes I know technically she isn't but didn't know that at 12)

Second real interest began after reading a biography of Queen Victoria and then grew from there!

My interest started with Princess Diana and last Tzar family of Russia

My interest started with Diana and then with Sarah. ( I think I watched Sarah's and Andrew's wedding). So I started buying the magazines (royalty and majesty). Note to anyone who starts a collection do not store it in a box in your garage on the floor.

Then I sort of stopped a little while after Diana died. Then I was looking on the internet and I found this forum. Then I got into all the other royal families of Europe. (British, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Netherlands, Spain). They are alot more interesting then alot of the celebrities we have now. Now I just need to find the youtube vids of all the weddings and spend a day watching them. Though I do find the last Tzar family of Russia interesting to.(no I did not beleive that the woman was the lost princess). Monacco is interesting to because of Princess Grace.

chelly said:
My interest started with Diana and then with Sarah. ( I think I watched Sarah's and Andrew's wedding). So I started buying the magazines (royalty and majesty). Note to anyone who starts a collection do not store it in a box in your garage on the floor.

Then I sort of stopped a little while after Diana died. Then I was looking on the internet and I found this forum. Then I got into all the other royal families of Europe. (British, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Netherlands, Spain). They are alot more interesting then alot of the celebrities we have now. Now I just need to find the youtube vids of all the weddings and spend a day watching them. Though I do find the last Tzar family of Russia interesting to.(no I did not beleive that the woman was the lost princess). Monacco is interesting to because of Princess Grace.

Agreed chelly- this forum has really helped me expand my interest to other royal families and the Russian Tsars have always fascinated me! You're right the royals are a lot more interesting then some celebs today!

I first got interested in royalty when my mum and I watched Charles and Diana's wedding on TV back in 1981. I bought a lot of magazines after Diana's tragic death and that got me more seriously interested in the Royal Family.

Why I am interested in royalty.

When I was four, QE II was crowned and I watched it on television. I remember being entranced by the music and the glorious ceremony (even on my parents' very small televion screen). I danced and danced to the music. My parents said I couldn't be distracted from it and watched it all. For weeks, I sang "Zadok the Priest and Nathan the Prophet," driving my mother to distraction. It is virtually my earliest conscious memory.

I learned that my mother's family believed themselves to be descended from several early kings (Wm the Conq., Henry I, II, and also separately from his wife, Eleanor of Aquitaine, and the early Edwards, even the evil King John! Then my family line descended from a younger son.

I studied history, music and design in England (I am American by birth) and became interested in genealogy, which eventually verified much of the family lore and legend. My ancestor who was a descendant of the royals mentioned above came to Virginia in the 17th Century and became a successful landowner and shipbuilder. His descendants through the next three hundred years were also successful landowners. Like other slaveowners (OMG!), they emigrated to Texas just before the Civil War, in a failed attempt to escape what they saw coming.

So I suppose that there may be two or three drops of royal blood in me, and my interest in royalty has been a lifelong passion.

I love history and biographies all my life. My first historical biography when I was a teen was on Henry VIII. That got my interest in former and current members of BRF.

But current royal events of the 20th century got me interested in two royals. Princess Grace and Diana, Princess of Wales were princess that I followed. Both were beautiful, mothers, did wonderful things and die in tragic car accidents. I would say the 1992 book, "Diana, my true story" got me hooked to be an avid royal watcher.

Joining TRF in 2005 I have become interest in all royal houses that before this website I didn't really follow.

I developed an interest in the modern royals very recently (less than 10 years) .

Before that I was only interested in long dead Royals (mainly medieval Kings/Queens).

When I was about 10, I discovered the National Geographic of the Coronation. What a beautiful dress and woman wearing it. Have been hooked ever since. My family has some German nobility in the way back when and that fueled it further. Some day I hope to visit England and see some of these places/people for myself....lifelong wish!!

Watched the 1997 movie Anastasia and read up in the Romanov family then saw the world they lived in and the majestic palaces and imperial rooms and the beautiful crowns and jewelry. I loved it all.

Back
Top Bottom