The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royal Chit Chat

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-26-2012, 07:40 PM
Serene Highness

Like so many others, I've always been interested in history. And Grandma kept saying we had "distant relations" in the lines of historic European royalty (her family has its own genealogical society). Grandpa kept saying I'd understand Grandma better if I researched it a little, ha.

Then came Princess Diana and my then-husband became obsessed with her. That was a surprise, really (he mostly like football). Then came watching Will and Harry grow up (Diana and I had our first children at around the same time). They began to feel like part of the family.

Now I realize that royalty not only symbolizes a particular era (perhaps less so in our busy diverse world today), but often, as history buffs, we don't know as much about other characters, at least their lives and world are *somewhat* preserved in the historical record. It would be impossible to know as much about the Middle Ages without studying royalty. Hereditary chiefdoms of some type are a very widespread, near-universal human custom, and I guess I like including some old-fangled interests along with my new-fangled ones (new technology, etc).

Finally, and without ever planning to do so, I've grown to respect and admire HM Queen Elizabeth II for many reasons. Yes, I have criticisms of her behaviors at certain times, but boy do I admire that she's had to remain (without choice) in the public eye all this time. As I've increasingly taken some public roles (as I've gotten older), I see things very differently. Knowing what to wear on what occasion, being gracious, tolerating tedium - oh my.

So I now can't imagine not being interested - but once, I wasn't, all that much.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:53 PM
Courtier

My favorite subject was history in high school and following the royals through the ages certainly gives you a birdseye view into the life at the time.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

On the morning of July 29, 1981 my mother woke me up at 3:00 in the morning an we had an interior camp out in the living room. Once Lady Diana Spencer emerged from the carriage, and I saw that train and all the fanfare, I was forever bitten by the royal "bug", as they say. Eleven years old, and I was hooked!
Old 01-29-2012, 04:17 PM
Serene Highness

I wonder how many people have an interest in royalty and discover years or decades later that they have royal blood in their ancestry going way back when. Sometimes they don't understand why they have this interest nor does their family.

In high school I read books about King Charles II of England. For some unknown reason I was fascinated by him. People thought it was very odd for a person in high school to try to read every book I could find about him (they weren't very many books). I was more interested though, in his personal life than other areas of his life.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:55 PM
Serene Highness

[QUOTE="nascarlucy"]I wonder how many people have an interest in royalty and discover years or decades later that they have royal blood in their ancestry going way back when. Sometimes they don't understand why they have this interest nor does their family.

I was wondering the same I mean my ancestry is a complete mystery but maybe I do decend from royalty or even a nobel family or maybe I was a royal in a past life?hmmm I wish I could investigate.what secrets does my bloodline hold?
Old 03-06-2012, 01:36 PM
Serene Highness

You guys are the people I should have on Facebook because it is only here that I find these type of people who enjoy royalty.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:15 PM
Aristocracy

Love of Royalty....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandduchess24 View Post
You guys are the people I should have on Facebook because it is only here that I find these type of people who enjoy royalty.
I agree, Grand Duchess! It is lovely to be among Royalty Lovers.
As for my interest in Royalty, it was really already there from as far back as I can remember. Like you, I have wondered about a connection to a past life.... As a very young girl I would already dress up in Mum's gorgeous peignoir and pretend I was a Princess! Ha.... Mum and Dad were wonderful and were totally supportive, as they were Royalists anyway. Mum made me a gorgeous crinoline for my 7th birthday and a year later my darling Parents gave me a gorgeous hooded and very full velvet Robe/Mantle to wear over the crinoline gown. During my later youth and adolescence Mum & Dad indulged me with more gorgeous dresses and various Royal paraphernalia. It was as an adolescent that I suggested the idea of a Royal Enactment Club/Society, and again my wonderful Parents helped to set up and organize the R.H.E.S and The Hermitage of Royalty. Since then, we have had numerous Royal plays, Balls and enactments, which are just delightful and soo wonderful for Royalty Lovers, especially for us Ladies! Myself, Jacques and a few Friends are still active today in organizing Royal Events for the members of the Hermitage.
Even for My marriage to my beloved Jacques, Mum and Dad helped me to obtain the Dress of My dreams..... a gorgeous "Royal" wedding Gown, very full with a magnificent Royal Train and Veil. Eight of my girlfriends very kindly attended on me as my maids. It was My dream wedding happening for real. So, in all honesty, Royalty has been a sizable part of my life all along and continues to be so. And I am SO happy with that!

Old 04-13-2012, 02:36 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Rather randomly, I'm afraid.

I've always been interested in genealogy, which means a certain degree of interest in royalty and nobility too; however, modern royals families didn't attract my attention until I watched the wedding of Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel. I got interested, did a bit of research and finally joined this forum.

47 days and 1026 posts later, you could safely say I'm addicted, especially the parts connected with traditions, jewellery, genealogy and fashion.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:55 PM
Commoner

Very cool story, Angelique!

As for me, I think it all started a few years ago after watching a VH1 special on real-life Cinderellas. They talked about Máxima, Mette-Marit, Letizia, Mary... Something about the fact that these normal, everyday women had literally found their Prince Charmings and were living a real-life fairy tale sparked my interest. I now realize that being royal in this day and age would hardly be a fairy tale, but I still find myself checking the boards everyday to see what my favorite royals are up to!

My interest weaned a little during my junior year of high school, but then Victoria and Daniel got married the summer before my senior year and WHAM!, I was hooked once more. Ever since, modern-day royalty has been my main source of fascination, and for that, I blame the fact that we don't have royals here in the States! It's a whole new learning experience.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:09 PM
Serene Highness

:: previous :: what show was this, because I remember watching on VH1 "the fabulous life... of royal royals" but that was when Victoria was single and William. I guess that show made me love the royal lifestyle.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:17 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandduchess24
:: previous :: what show was this, because I remember watching on VH1 "the fabulous life... of royal royals" but that was when Victoria was single and William. I guess that show made me love the royal lifestyle.
I saw that one as well, but the real-life Cinderellas was a different special. This one not only talked about these "girls next door" who married actual royalty, but regular people who married other celebrities (e.g. Jessica Alba's husband Cash Warren, Matt Damon's wife Lucia). It's been a while now and I don't even receive VH1 anymore, I don't know if they still show it from time to time.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:40 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruununprinsessa View Post
I saw that one as well, but the real-life Cinderellas was a different special. This one not only talked about these "girls next door" who married actual royalty, but regular people who married other celebrities (e.g. Jessica Alba's husband Cash Warren, Matt Damon's wife Lucia). It's been a while now and I don't even receive VH1 anymore, I don't know if they still show it from time to time.
Dear Prinsessa, Can you remember the name of that special? I would LOVE to see it...... Thank you.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:06 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelique

Dear Prinsessa, Can you remember the name of that special? I would LOVE to see it...... Thank you.
I looked and unfortunately couldn't find any video from it, but I did find this synopsis on VH1's official website:

http://www.vh1.com/shows/fabulous_li...isodeID=139725

I wish I could tell you more! Maybe this will help you watch out for it if it they ever show it on VH1 again. :)
Old 05-31-2012, 06:06 PM
Aristocracy

ever since the royal wedding
i've been mostly interesting in queen Victoria see is just so interesting 2 me i hope i have that many kids when i marry and the grandchildren and great grandchildren i wonder if she had any trouble remember names
Old 05-31-2012, 06:48 PM
Courtier

I blame it all on Grimm's fairytales and Romy Schneider as Sissi. I was three years old, saw her in the movies and totally fell for her and everything related to a monarchy
Old 05-31-2012, 11:06 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandduchess24 View Post
I'll second that. People on my list (and in my life for that matter) roll their eyes at me when I mention anything royalty-related.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:17 AM

Ever since I was a little child I enjoyed going to old castles much more than any themepark or other things for children.
I also believed that my great grandmother was GD Anastasia when I was little since they shared similar troubles during the revolution in Russia.
Couple that with a few Disney princesses and a pretty royally obsessed country.
My parents always hated the royals though, but they mostly kept quiet about it when I was little for which I'm grateful.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:28 AM

I'm a history junkie and I love sightseeing old buildings, and especially castles! Being in one helps me to imagine how life would be like in the past.

I think the royals and the nobles are the first and real celebrities. I also grew up with the stories that starts with 'once upon a time, in a kingdom far far away...', and ends with '... and the live happily ever after', which most of them are involved with stories about a prince and princess.

*daydreaming*
Old 06-11-2012, 12:02 PM

Hi, I'm new here. I'm a history junkie myself. One day in fifth grade, I was bored and was hanging out in my school's library when I stumbled upon this comics on Mary Queen of Scotts and I couldn't put it down- I read it cover to cover and since then I have been reading books about her life. I have been searching for the comics I read on the net but had no luck at all. I'm also quite interested in the life of Catherine of Aragon. I have also read books like Hope Cook- the american who became the Queen of Sikkim. Also am a big fan of castles and hope to be able to see European Castles soon :-)
Old 06-11-2012, 12:21 PM
Aristocracy

because they are fun people and it is great to trace back their history also they throw great weddings