The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-13-2007, 10:35 PM
Commoner

Haunted Royals

I remember reading somewhere in one of Princess Anne's biography books that while she was at school at Benenden, some of her friends tried to play a trick on her and dressed up as a ghost in a sheet to try and scare her. She, of course, wasn't frightened and told them that it was nothing compared to the real ghosts she had seen at Balmoral.
Kinda creepy...

I can't imagine what it's like to continually go back to a place that you know is haunted, let alone stay overnight. I am a scary story buff, but I don't know if I could sleep there, not knowing what's going on around me.

*atrain*

Old 12-17-2007, 01:43 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandDuchess View Post
The Royal Palace of Stockholm has at least three known ghosts:

The white lady - dressed in a white dress, a veil over her dark hair, black gloves and holding a chain of keys in her hand; all that can be heard when she walks the rooms of the palace is her dress. When the white lady appears, it means a member of the Royal Family will die. Many royals and staff of the Royal Court have seen her through the years.

The grey man - it is said that he appears before every reigning King at leat once in their life time.

The invisible person in Gustav VI Adolf's old library - many people (and staff), often feels an invisible presence there.
Sounds very interesting.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:16 AM
Gentry

I read on wikipedia that Hampton Court Palace is haunted with the ghosts of Queen Jane Seymour, Queen Catherine Howard, Queen Anne Boleyn and King Henry VIII himself. There was even a security camera recording in October 2003 of a mysterious image in a long coat closing the fire doors, allegedly a ghost. Royal palaces surely must be haunted due to the deaths that have occurred there for centuries... some of these deaths being controversial.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:58 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinulord View Post
I read on wikipedia that Hampton Court Palace is haunted with the ghosts of Queen Jane Seymour, Queen Catherine Howard, Queen Anne Boleyn and King Henry VIII himself. There was even a security camera recording in October 2003 of a mysterious image in a long coat closing the fire doors, allegedly a ghost. Royal palaces surely must be haunted due to the deaths that have occurred there for centuries... some of these deaths being controversial.
That is very scary! Look at how scary this ghost looks...the feeling ...it's the same ghost of Hampton Court Palace in 2003.
BBC NEWS | UK | 'Ghost' caught on palace camera
Old 06-24-2011, 05:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Queen Mother's childhood home(I forgot what it was called)is allegedly haunted.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:44 AM
Serene Highness

Warwick Castle is haunted. I didn't see a ghost when I was there in 1985 but felt the presence of a man hovering over me. It was like he wanted his presence know.

It's not surprising that a castle is haunted given that many things, births, deaths, tragedy and other things have happened. I believe that when something dramatic happens, it leaves a permanent imprint on the area, building and structure.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
Warwick Castle is haunted. I didn't see a ghost when I was there in 1985 but felt the presence of a man hovering over me. It was like he wanted his presence know.
Are you sure it wasn't one of those costumed interpreters?
I was looking at the wax figures there when one seemed to come to life and spoke to me- I nearly jumped out of my skin!
Old 06-25-2011, 07:30 PM
Serene Highness

The costumed interpreters were standing in front of us. There was no human standing behind me. I turned around to look and no one was behind me. I was listening intently on what they were saying and some people in the group said my imagination got the better of me. No one else of course had this experience. The minute I heard that the castle was haunted, I expected something to happen. The presence of a man hovering over me continued until I left the castle.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:14 AM
Courtier

It is also said that Luxembourg is full of Haunted Castles.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:16 PM
Courtier

Nothanger Abbey was very haunted.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

I've always wondered how people who see a headless woman at the Tower of London know it is Anne Boleyn...she has no head! It could be anybody!
Anyway, has anyone heard of hauntings regarded Nicholas II and his family?
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 09-19-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Anyway, has anyone heard of hauntings regarded Nicholas II and his family?
I would be curious about that as well. I don't think I have ever come across anyone seeing there ghosts...not that I really searched though. I never thought of it before.
http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...les_Book_Group
Old 09-19-2011, 07:26 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
Queen Mother's childhood home(I forgot what it was called)is allegedly haunted.
Glamis, Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother's childhood home (and seat of the Earls of Strathmore and Kinghorne) is indeed alleged to be one of the most haunted buildings in all of Great Britain. Tales include an Earl who played a game of chance with the devil himself, the famous "monster of Glamis", supposedly born to a Lady Glamis and so deformed that he was declared dead and kept imprisoned in an inner room of the castle for almost a hundred years, a white lady, and many more.

The secret of the so-called "monster of Glamis" always fascinated Lady Elizabeth Bowes Lyon's mother, Celia Strathmore who once asked the factor of the estate the "truth" about the tale. Supposedly, he told her to be glad she would never know, that if she knew the truth it would prevent her from being happy again for even one single day of her life!

I believe part of the reason the story has gained so much credence is due to the fact there are four more windows visible from the outside of Glamis than can be accessed from the inside. (One intrepid house party hung towels from every known window and then gathered outside to find those missing towels; the earl returned home in the middle of this activity and ordered his wife and guests to leave, immediately.) Of course, there is probably some kernel of truth to this story, but I assume the rest is superstitious layers added through time and repeated telling of the story.

If anyone knows more about this legend, please do share! It is fascinating, especially when one considers many believe the "monster" lived until 1921, only two years previous to Lady Elizabeth's marriage to the Duke of York!
Old 09-19-2011, 07:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavenderagate View Post
I would be curious about that as well. I don't think I have ever come across anyone seeing there ghosts...not that I really searched though. I never thought of it before.
Any ghosts of Nicholas II and his immediate family could be haunting a few places. The Palaces where they lived most of their lives, Tsarkoe Selo, where I believe they were imprisoned, the Impatiev House is gone, but they could be still haunting the premises (though I tend to doubt that). More than anything I would wonder if they haunted the forest were they were buried for 70 years and the mine where Alexei and Maria were "buried".
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 03-02-2012, 02:55 PM
Serene Highness

I believe Hampton court and Kensington palace to be haunted by royal ghosts maybe even the Alexander palace....
Old 05-01-2012, 01:33 PM
Aristocracy

I have heard that HRH The Prince Andrew, Duke of York has seen some ghost at one of the British Palaces.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:58 AM
Courtier

The Ansembourg Castle in Luxembourg is also said to be haunted. Legend has it that a young lady jumped to her death from the Castle Tower after she was forced to marry a greedy Baron. It is said that during the late night, you can hear a noise of a working spinning wheel, that's because the young lady wove her burial dress before jumping from the Castle Tower.