The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-30-2017, 03:28 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I don't mind Edmund (though perhaps it is too similar to Edward).
But I agree with Diana that Arthur is a horrid name.
When did Diana say that? I'm not critiquing you, I'm just genuinely curious since I've never heard this before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
QFT skippyboo you said nothing none of us already know. Seeing as how William is not PoW I don't see what harm there is in continuing to speculate that a potential next child will be a Cambridge.
Thank you. It's a shame I had to feel like that on a public forum, where everyone is entitled to share their opinions as long as they are within the forum guidelines. And we're following the thread title, after all!

Quote:
I've always disliked the name Frances for boys and for girls and I hope the Middleton side of the family starts to be incorporated into any future children.
I would love for names like Marina, Richard to be reused in the next generation. But as was stated above WnK are known to be vanilla and will probably not be daring with childrens names; I still give the a gold star for daring to go with Charlotte.
I don't like Francis/Frances either, it's rather stuffy and old fashioned to me.
Whilst I did guess Charlotte I never thought they would use it as a first name because the RF seem to be worried about certain names being unlucky; and the associations with Princess Charlotte of Wales (who died young in childbirth) might have put them off. Denville - I think this is what XeniaCasiraghi was referring to when she called Charlotte daring.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 07-30-2017, 03:34 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post

I don't like Francis/Frances either, it's rather stuffy and old fashioned to me.
Well, Frances is one of my names I'm rather fond of it 😂 - had the added advantage at school of there not being several others with the same name. That said, don't like it for a boy as I find it a bit "sissy" - maybe because it's _my_ name and I'm a girl!

Still, I do think Princess Frances sounds weird (like Hissing Sid) but I could quite go for a Lady Frances... 😜

Old 07-30-2017, 03:34 PM
Heir Apparent

There was a discussion in Origin of Royal Names, in which Diana said she chose William and Harry because she didn't like the alternatives, which were Arthur and Albert.
You can find the exact quote there (very recently).

It was mentioned in the tapes for the Morton book; the DM is running a series of articles on Diana and that came up.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

I doubt if Diana had that much say in namng Will and Harry. only in terms of "if you don't like William, it will be Albert or Arthur.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
what on earth is daring about the name charlotte?? its a conventional upper class name, it is probably a nod to Charles and is also a very popular roylal name here and in the Continental Royal families.
I think it is nice and suitable.. and I'm pleased they chose it.. but its not daring.
It hasn't shown up in the top tier of the BRF in over a century yet WnK chose it; that is daring for them but might not be daring according to some people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Denville - I think this is what XeniaCasiraghi was referring to when she called Charlotte daring.
Yes this is what I meant by calling it daring; its a combination of it not popping up in the BRF and being old fashioned but not overused.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-30-2017, 04:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Probalby Will and K's friends have half a dozen liltte Charlottes in their nurseries. His own cousin, born a few years ago, is Charlotte Diana Spencer.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Probalby Will and K's friends have half a dozen liltte Charlottes in their nurseries. His own cousin, born a few years ago, is Charlotte Diana Spencer.
I wasn't aware those children were in the BRF and children of the future king.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-31-2017, 08:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

I think the name Charlotte is quite trendy right now.

As to it being unlucky, (because Princess Charlotte died in childbirth) many Royal names we've mentioned have been said to be the same: Charles, James, John, Stephen, etc.

If every name said to be unlucky is eliminated, there'd be nothing left!
Old 07-31-2017, 08:48 AM
Serene Highness

They could head back to medieval times - Matilda, Berengaria (!!) or Philippa (which would also be a nod to the Middletons).
Old 07-31-2017, 09:22 AM
Heir Apparent

If the Cambridges have another girl, I hope they choose Victoria or Alice. I think they are both pretty names.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:33 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
If the Cambridges have another girl, I hope they choose Victoria or Alice. I think they are both pretty names.
Yes, they are - and haven't been used for a while.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

I would votie for Alice, in tribute to Philip and his mother. but I think that If Kate has another child (very unlikely) she wuodl reference her own family and give the baby one of her mothers or father's names.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:17 PM
Aristocracy

Given the Hanoverian "theme" the Cambridges have adopted thus far, Sophia, Caroline and Victoria would top my betting list for a girl, along with Alice. For a boy, I would imagine that Philip and James would be on the shortlist, and that William would probably be included as a second/third name. Charles is less likely now there's a Charlotte.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

I wouldn't say that there is a theme. I think that George was always very likely for a first son.. it is a royal name and refers to the queen's father.. and its one of Charles' names. Charlotte is a royal name, very popular among the upper classes and it is a reference also to Charles and could be a slight nod to the middleton side, since Charlotte is one of Pippa Ms names.
I'd have thought that it would have easy enough to add William to Georges' names, like say George Alexander (for HM) and William.
If they do have another baby, I would say that they should certainly use Philip's name.. not as a first name. They could pick some royal name that hasn't been used, something a bit more unsual for a second son.. and put in Phil's name
Old 08-08-2017, 02:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I wasn't aware those children were in the BRF and children of the future king.
No but royal names are usually the same as upper class names, except for the more unusual ones that the upper classes can go for, while the Royals tend to stick to fashionable but conventional and traditional. Just as Diana is said to have suggested soemthing like OLiver or Rupert for her sons but ended up with William and Harry...
Charlotte has been royal and upper class popular name for centuries. W and Kate are conventional and not very imaginative.. so I'm sure that in choosing Charlotte they were just following a trend that is popular among their upper class friends and which is the name of several princesses and one Queen.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:56 PM
Commoner

IMO, no namesake please.

Let's say, for Cambridges's 3rd kid, if it is a girl then don't use Victoria, or not Fredrik or Christian for a boy. I hesitate about sharing same name with future monarch...... just my thought. Of course if there is a strong personal connection to a name then I think it's completely okay.

BTW I think Alice and Caroline (for girl), Louis, Arthur and Stephen (for boy) would be a good choice.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Boy - Arthur Phillip Francis or Arthur Henry Phillip
Girl - Alice Frances Mary or Cecille Frances Mary

I seem to have way more boy name options this time around. Guess, we'll have to wait about 7 months to find out! Can't wait.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

If its a girl I hope Kate has her name in there this time. HOnestly I don't have children but I would want to give my own name as second name for a daughter. I would hope for Alice Catherine Caroline.. (for K's mother)..
If its another boy, I think they could be a bit more daring (they wont of course) and maybe choose an older name Like Frederick or Rupert.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:44 AM
Heir Apparent

If not for Prince Michael of Kent, I would say they'd choose Michael for a boy. (After Michael Middleton).
Since Edward's son is James, I doubt they'll pick that.
But they might go with Alexander, since they obviously like the name and it's only been used as a middle name for George.

For a girl, I think Alice, Victoria, or Caroline is most likely (though if Caroline is the first name, people will say Carole Middleton insisted!)
Old 09-08-2017, 08:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think they seem to be bothered about including the Middleton's names. perhaps since the Mids get bad press, they don't want to? And sicne there is a P Michael there's no way they'd use that name. There are a couple of Alexanders, (Son of the D of Gloucester and alsos one of the Ogilvys) but they are not well known royals so that IS a possibility. however I think the Alexander in Gs' name was in honour of the queen.
I wish they wuld be a bit more imaginative.. and choose a name because of it is an old but once well loved name.. or just an interesting name. with the second son or daughter they COULD be a bit more adventurous but I'm sure they wont be.