The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-23-2017, 02:52 PM
Heir Apparent

I like Stephen.

It hasn't been used for centuries, but it is the name of an English king.

(As for negative connotations, what name doesn't? They all have some dark history attached).

Old 07-23-2017, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

I agree, Stephen is a nice name and suitable for a future royal's name.

With regard to negative connotations, I like to think that the individuals carrying the name have some dark history rathe than the the name itself

Old 07-23-2017, 06:39 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I like Stephen.

It hasn't been used for centuries, but it is the name of an English king.

(As for negative connotations, what name doesn't? They all have some dark history attached).
I'm afraid that Stephen, like John, is considered cursed by the Royals. The reign of King Stephen was known in 12th century England as "the time when Christ and all His Saints slept" and "the Anarchy." There has not been a royal Stephen since.

John, however, has appeared a few times since "Bad King John" as far as I can remember: John of Gaunt and his grandson, the younger son of Henry IV, John Duke of Bedford, had the name before Bertie and Alexandra called their youngest son "Alexander John". With the sons of both Edward VII and George V dying young, I think it will be a very long time indeed before the name John is used again.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:24 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I realy wish that the RF would stretch a LITLTE bit and choose something ab it more unusual. Such as Rupert or one of the older male Royal names. for a younger son at least. Geoffrey and Thomas were plantagenet names that have't been used in a long time. or Kenneth, David, Robert, Scottish names
I think they might give David a miss for a while - it was the name the Duke of Windsor used in private.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Princess Margaret didn't mind it as a name for her son, though.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:36 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Princess Margaret didn't mind it as a name for her son, though.
Indeed - maybe there were connections on the Armstrong-Jones side as well. Wonder what the Queen Mother thought...
Old 07-29-2017, 05:04 PM
Heir Apparent

The Queen Mother had a brother named David. Tony was Welsh so that could explain David. The Queen still used Edward. No one really associates the Earl of Wessex with the Duke of Windsor. A non royal watcher would not even know that the Duke of Windsor was called David by his family.
Old 07-29-2017, 05:08 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
The Queen Mother had a brother named David. Tony was Welsh so that could explain David. The Queen still used Edward. No one really associates the Earl of Wessex with the Duke of Windsor. A non royal watcher would not even know that the Duke of Windsor was called David by his family.
I take it all back.

It's a nice name so why not use it. I prefer it to Kenneth, anyway...
Old 07-29-2017, 05:10 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I agree with Florestane in that since David (even though I do consider Skippyboo's point about non-royal watchers but at the end of the day, the royals in question are deciding what's best for them and not the public) t's a name the BRF used for the Duke of Windsor in private, it's more personal than Edward which was "just" his regnal name (like Bertie vs. George for HM's father) and thus they might be less inclined to use it again.

I would love to see Helena used again as a first name (because I realise that it's Princess Eugenie's middle name) and also some older names revived like Adela or Cecily. For boys; I'd love to see an Arthur or an Edmund. Arthur would work particularly well with George and Charlotte, IMO.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 07-29-2017, 05:15 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I agree with Florestane in that since David (even though I do consider Skippyboo's point about non-royal watchers but at the end of the day, the royals in question are deciding what's best for them and not the public) t's a name the BRF used for the Duke of Windsor in private, it's more personal than Edward which was "just" his regnal name (like Bertie vs. George for HM's father) and thus they might be less inclined to use it again.

I would love to see Helena used again as a first name (because I realise that it's Princess Eugenie's middle name) and also some older names revived like Adela or Cecily. For boys; I'd love to see an Arthur or an Edmund. Arthur would work particularly well with George and Charlotte, IMO.
I like Helena as well. It's pretty. I also like Richard and Marina.
Old 07-29-2017, 05:17 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florestane View Post
I like Helena as well. It's pretty. I also like Richard and Marina.
Princess Helena of Cambridge has a nice ring to it
Richard is the Duke of Gloucester's name, but then again I don't know how close he is to William and Catherine so it's probably safe for them to use it. Marina is pretty! It would be nice to see another Marina in the family.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Future Royal Baby Names

We don't even know if William and Kate will have more children. Their children aren't going to be of Cambridge once Charles becomes King. They will end up eventually as of Wales. If they do have more kids, they would more likely look to their own family tree instead of the Kents & Gloucesters. Philip, Michael, Elizabeth perhaps
Old 07-29-2017, 06:09 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
We don't even know if William and Kate will have more children. Their children aren't going to be of Cambridge once Charles becomes King. They will end up eventually as of Wales. If they do have more kids, they would more likely look to their own family tree instead of the Kents & Gloucesters. Philip, Michael, Elizabeth perhaps

Of course. But for now they will be Prince or Princess of Cambridge.
I'm allowed to speculate though just as much as you are, as this thread is entitled "Future Royal Baby Names" after all, or aren't I? Sometimes I feel like I'm not

Old 07-29-2017, 06:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Middleton names - Carole/Caroline; Catherine; Dorthy/ Dorothea; Mary (Catherines g-aunt)
Michael, James, Francis (or Frances)

Lots of options

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-29-2017, 09:20 PM
Aristocracy

I quite like the name Frances for a grandchild of Diana. The only issue I can see (and it is in a lighthearted way I say this) is how the girl's name would be mangled by those with less than perfect diction. Imagine British TV presenter Jonathan "Wossy" Ross saying "Princess Frances".
Old 07-29-2017, 09:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

I don't mind Edmund (though perhaps it is too similar to Edward).
But I agree with Diana that Arthur is a horrid name.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:44 AM
Majesty

If they have another child, I am not expecting anything more creative then Geirge and charlotte. Perhaps we'll get Middleton middle names.

Princess Margaret, like Andrew and Anne, was far enough from throne she had more leniency in naming kids. Naming a son for the patron saint of Wales was okay for Margaret but would have not been for the future king as a first name.

We can hope like His aunt and uncles, Harry gets a bit more creative.

As much as I like Richard and marina, I don't see them being used when there are close family with it. But then again Edward has been used so who knows. But marina has more a link to the Kent line then the main.

I'd love to see Alec as first name for Philips mom.

If future baby Cambridge Frances/is would be nice middle as a nod both to Michael and Diana.
Old 07-30-2017, 03:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Of course. But for now they will be Prince or Princess of Cambridge.
I'm allowed to speculate though just as much as you are, as this thread is entitled "Future Royal Baby Names" after all, or aren't I? Sometimes I feel like I'm not
QFT skippyboo you said nothing none of us already know. Seeing as how William is not PoW I don't see what harm there is in continuing to speculate that a potential next child will be a Cambridge.

I've always disliked the name Frances for boys and for girls and I hope the Middleton side of the family starts to be incorporated into any future children.
I would love for names like Marina, Richard to be reused in the next generation. But as was stated above WnK are known to be vanilla and will probably not be daring with childrens names; I still give the a gold star for daring to go with Charlotte.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-30-2017, 05:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

what on earth is daring about the name charlotte?? its a conventional upper class name, it is probably a nod to Charles and is also a very popular roylal name here and in the Continental Royal families.
I think it is nice and suitable.. and I'm pleased they chose it.. but its not daring.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
I quite like the name Frances for a grandchild of Diana. The only issue I can see (and it is in a lighthearted way I say this) is how the girl's name would be mangled by those with less than perfect diction. Imagine British TV presenter Jonathan "Wossy" Ross saying "Princess Frances".
I think that the sibiliants would be too much.. same with Cynthia which is a name in Diana's family but Princess Cynthia? no. but if Harry has a son, he could be Francis as a first or second name in honour of Diana. Or a girl could have Frances as a Second name. Possibly Say Alice (after P Phil's mother) then the wife's name, and Frances...