Future Royal Baby Names

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like Alice and Charlotte for baby girls! Such classical and evergreen names... But I also love Meredith, Erin or Edith wven though I doubt some royals will ever use them.

For Boys I like Alexander, Ivan and Leonard. Yet again that won't happen.

I love the name Edith. I hope it makes a resurgence.

I too like Alexander. It does appear sometimes as a middle name in the BRF, ie among the young royals it's one of Prince George's middle names and one of James Wessex's as well. It doesn't really have a British history I suppose, but I do wish it would be used as a first name, perhaps by Harry's son if he has one.

Close to the throne IMO they will stick to classic family names as first. We do see Alexander further from the throne in the BRF. Alexandra as a nod to Queen Alexandra is a very nice possibility.

Amanda, Erin, Jennifer, a little too common.

Edith I would love to see. And there us a family connection for the Brits. But I fear it may be seen as too old fashioned.

Maybe James?

I realy wish that the RF would stretch a LITLTE bit and choose something ab it more unusual. Such as Rupert or one of the older male Royal names. for a younger son at least. Geoffrey and Thomas were plantagenet names that have't been used in a long time. or Kenneth, David, Robert, Scottish names

I also wish they would stretch but the thing is that James would be a stretch, how many more George and Edward's must there be? A thousand years of history! Open a book a try something that hasn't been done a dozen times already. I give props to WnK for Charlotte; even Kate's parents went out of the box and named their daughter after Queen Philippa.
Anne went way out of the box with Zara and I applaud her for it considering her name is Anne. Andrew and Sarah looked way down the list to find traditional but different names as did Edward and Sophie.

Last edited:
Maybe James?

Doesn't the name James have a few negative connotations within the royal family so they had avoided using it for years. James, Viscount Severn was the first "main member" (if we can call him that, although he is a grandson of a monarch) to use the name in a long time. Princess Alexandra's son is called James I believe but he is obviously not as known.

Andrew and Sarah definitely went quite "out there" with their names. I love Beatrice's name more than Eugenie. I also wish Edward and Sophie had chosen Alice as Louise's first name as opposed to a middle name.

Last edited:
I think that James as being the name of 2 Stuart Kings who were nto very successful, isn't that popular with the RF.. and would not be chosen at present for a future King.

1. Charles was the name of 2 Stuart kings who weren't exactly successful, yet the Queen had no problem naming her son and heir that.
2. James is already used in the family by Edward's son.

It wasn't used in the RF for a very long time except for the Scottish Ogilvys. (James). there was a Charles D of Albany.. within the past 100 years.
and Charles II while not a very successful king, is popular and well known in "popular history" as the Merry Monarch, the philandering skilful politician etc.

I like Stephen.

It hasn't been used for centuries, but it is the name of an English king.

(As for negative connotations, what name doesn't? They all have some dark history attached).

I agree, Stephen is a nice name and suitable for a future royal's name.

With regard to negative connotations, I like to think that the individuals carrying the name have some dark history rathe than the the name itself ;)

I like Stephen.

It hasn't been used for centuries, but it is the name of an English king.

(As for negative connotations, what name doesn't? They all have some dark history attached).
I'm afraid that Stephen, like John, is considered cursed by the Royals. The reign of King Stephen was known in 12th century England as "the time when Christ and all His Saints slept" and "the Anarchy." There has not been a royal Stephen since.

John, however, has appeared a few times since "Bad King John" as far as I can remember: John of Gaunt and his grandson, the younger son of Henry IV, John Duke of Bedford, had the name before Bertie and Alexandra called their youngest son "Alexander John". With the sons of both Edward VII and George V dying young, I think it will be a very long time indeed before the name John is used again.

Last edited:
I realy wish that the RF would stretch a LITLTE bit and choose something ab it more unusual. Such as Rupert or one of the older male Royal names. for a younger son at least. Geoffrey and Thomas were plantagenet names that have't been used in a long time. or Kenneth, David, Robert, Scottish names
I think they might give David a miss for a while - it was the name the Duke of Windsor used in private.

Princess Margaret didn't mind it as a name for her son, though.

The Queen Mother had a brother named David. Tony was Welsh so that could explain David. The Queen still used Edward. No one really associates the Earl of Wessex with the Duke of Windsor. A non royal watcher would not even know that the Duke of Windsor was called David by his family.

The Queen Mother had a brother named David. Tony was Welsh so that could explain David. The Queen still used Edward. No one really associates the Earl of Wessex with the Duke of Windsor. A non royal watcher would not even know that the Duke of Windsor was called David by his family.
I take it all back.

It's a nice name so why not use it. I prefer it to Kenneth, anyway...

I agree with Florestane in that since David (even though I do consider Skippyboo's point about non-royal watchers but at the end of the day, the royals in question are deciding what's best for them and not the public) t's a name the BRF used for the Duke of Windsor in private, it's more personal than Edward which was "just" his regnal name (like Bertie vs. George for HM's father) and thus they might be less inclined to use it again.

I would love to see Helena used again as a first name (because I realise that it's Princess Eugenie's middle name) and also some older names revived like Adela or Cecily. For boys; I'd love to see an Arthur or an Edmund. Arthur would work particularly well with George and Charlotte, IMO.

I agree with Florestane in that since David (even though I do consider Skippyboo's point about non-royal watchers but at the end of the day, the royals in question are deciding what's best for them and not the public) t's a name the BRF used for the Duke of Windsor in private, it's more personal than Edward which was "just" his regnal name (like Bertie vs. George for HM's father) and thus they might be less inclined to use it again.

I would love to see Helena used again as a first name (because I realise that it's Princess Eugenie's middle name) and also some older names revived like Adela or Cecily. For boys; I'd love to see an Arthur or an Edmund. Arthur would work particularly well with George and Charlotte, IMO.
I like Helena as well. It's pretty. I also like Richard and Marina.

I like Helena as well. It's pretty. I also like Richard and Marina.

Princess Helena of Cambridge has a nice ring to it ?
Richard is the Duke of Gloucester's name, but then again I don't know how close he is to William and Catherine so it's probably safe for them to use it. Marina is pretty! It would be nice to see another Marina in the family.

We don't even know if William and Kate will have more children. Their children aren't going to be of Cambridge once Charles becomes King. They will end up eventually as of Wales. If they do have more kids, they would more likely look to their own family tree instead of the Kents & Gloucesters. Philip, Michael, Elizabeth perhaps

We don't even know if William and Kate will have more children. Their children aren't going to be of Cambridge once Charles becomes King. They will end up eventually as of Wales. If they do have more kids, they would more likely look to their own family tree instead of the Kents & Gloucesters. Philip, Michael, Elizabeth perhaps

Of course. But for now they will be Prince or Princess of Cambridge.
I'm allowed to speculate though just as much as you are, as this thread is entitled "Future Royal Baby Names" after all, or aren't I? Sometimes I feel like I'm not :ermm:

Middleton names - Carole/Caroline; Catherine; Dorthy/ Dorothea; Mary (Catherines g-aunt)
Michael, James, Francis (or Frances)

Lots of options

I quite like the name Frances for a grandchild of Diana. The only issue I can see (and it is in a lighthearted way I say this) is how the girl's name would be mangled by those with less than perfect diction. Imagine British TV presenter Jonathan "Wossy" Ross saying "Princess Frances".

I don't mind Edmund (though perhaps it is too similar to Edward).
But I agree with Diana that Arthur is a horrid name.

If they have another child, I am not expecting anything more creative then Geirge and charlotte. Perhaps we'll get Middleton middle names.

Princess Margaret, like Andrew and Anne, was far enough from throne she had more leniency in naming kids. Naming a son for the patron saint of Wales was okay for Margaret but would have not been for the future king as a first name.

We can hope like His aunt and uncles, Harry gets a bit more creative.

As much as I like Richard and marina, I don't see them being used when there are close family with it. But then again Edward has been used so who knows. But marina has more a link to the Kent line then the main.

I'd love to see Alec as first name for Philips mom.

If future baby Cambridge Frances/is would be nice middle as a nod both to Michael and Diana.

Of course. But for now they will be Prince or Princess of Cambridge.
I'm allowed to speculate though just as much as you are, as this thread is entitled "Future Royal Baby Names" after all, or aren't I? Sometimes I feel like I'm not :ermm:

QFT skippyboo you said nothing none of us already know. Seeing as how William is not PoW I don't see what harm there is in continuing to speculate that a potential next child will be a Cambridge.

I've always disliked the name Frances for boys and for girls and I hope the Middleton side of the family starts to be incorporated into any future children.
I would love for names like Marina, Richard to be reused in the next generation. But as was stated above WnK are known to be vanilla and will probably not be daring with childrens names; I still give the a gold star for daring to go with Charlotte.

Last edited:
what on earth is daring about the name charlotte?? its a conventional upper class name, it is probably a nod to Charles and is also a very popular roylal name here and in the Continental Royal families.
I think it is nice and suitable.. and I'm pleased they chose it.. but its not daring.

I quite like the name Frances for a grandchild of Diana. The only issue I can see (and it is in a lighthearted way I say this) is how the girl's name would be mangled by those with less than perfect diction. Imagine British TV presenter Jonathan "Wossy" Ross saying "Princess Frances".

I think that the sibiliants would be too much.. same with Cynthia which is a name in Diana's family but Princess Cynthia? no. but if Harry has a son, he could be Francis as a first or second name in honour of Diana. Or a girl could have Frances as a Second name. Possibly Say Alice (after P Phil's mother) then the wife's name, and Frances...

Back
Top Bottom