Foreingers Princesses:Why so popular???

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i denmark there has been no dansih born married in the royal family for years in sweden the sisters and brothers of the king has amrried swedes but victoria would be the first if she married daniel to marry a swede and have him as a consort all other consort has not been swedes does that make sence

Its because Maxima and Mary are closer to the public

"yes i agree with that, but why didnt Frederik marry a Danish woman? From what i hear, he was looking for an overseas bride. Why? (If its true he was looking for a foreign bride)"

I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I remember reading that the Danish Monarchy wanted a foregin bride for Frederick becuase they wanted to boost Denmark's profile abroad. They wanted to encourage trade/economic ties with another country, something that would be almost guaranteed by a foreign princess.
Moreover, in an ever-growing EU they were worried about being lost at the wayside because of bigger and more powerful countries like Frqance and Germany and newer nations coming in.

Australian said:
yes i agree with that, but why didnt Frederik marry a Danish woman? From what i hear, he was looking for an overseas bride. Why? (If its true he was looking for a foreign bride)

It's easier to get to know someone if they don't get all blushing and bashful because it's a prince who's inviting htem for coffee. If a girl doesn't know the guy's a prince she'll be more natural and he can be sure that she likes him and not only the novelty of dating a prince.

Little_star said:
"yes i agree with that, but why didnt Frederik marry a Danish woman? From what i hear, he was looking for an overseas bride. Why? (If its true he was looking for a foreign bride)"

I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I remember reading that the Danish Monarchy wanted a foregin bride for Frederick becuase they wanted to boost Denmark's profile abroad. They wanted to encourage trade/economic ties with another country, something that would be almost guaranteed by a foreign princess.
Moreover, in an ever-growing EU they were worried about being lost at the wayside because of bigger and more powerful countries like Frqance and Germany and newer nations coming in.
Where did you get that rubbish from? This is far from acurate!

"Where did you get that rubbish from? This is far from acurate!"

Whether it is accurate or not is something I never claimed, however it is something I've read online in a couple of places. And I was merely responding to the comments made by another poster.

Little_star said:

I had no idea Margrethe & Co was so strategically minded. And playing high stakes too; all Frederik's previous girlfriends were Danish - he might just as well have married one of them; he certainly had the age.

And Frederik just went along with that scheme?? Like in the good old days where royals were 'traded' for higher purposes. What a good boy he is.:D

And all this time I just thought two people met and fell in love.... :p

I have a question¿.It is mainly for our argentinian friends. I have noticed Mary is quite popular in Australia, but I dont know how popular is Maxima in Argentina.

As you can see I´m mexican and I´ve heard much more about Letizia than what I´ve heard of Maxima, and both latin american countries are quite close. :S

I wouldn´t say she´s popular here, argentinians do not care about royalty,it´s very far from here. Most people know 3 or 4 princesses,Letizia,Caroline,Ladi Di ,and Maxima is just one more,there´s no more expectation about her because of being argentinian.Of course she´s respected and news about her are followed like any other popular figure.By the way, it was disappointing that she prefered Holland in the World Cup match against Argentina,she just shouldn´t have said that,it makes her more distant and unattractive,for me of course.

I'm Colombian, and here is well Known Princess Letizia, and is very popular with others like Carolina or Diana, but the other ones, never have been mentioned or notice.

Even though, in other's latinoamerican countries channels, princess Letizia is put on programs and in magazines, so it is no a matter if they are from other country or not, is just what you like about them; of course, the relation between spain and latinoamerica is important too.

The advantage of a foreign Princess, especially when she is not of a noble birth is that not suddenly next-door-Annie becomes a Royal Highness. No one in the Netherlands can claim to have slept with her, having been befriended with her, having been classmate with her, whatever. She was a total stranger.

Princess Máxima comes from the other side of the world, from the southern hemisphere and married a Prince from a country at the other side of the world, on the northern hemisphere. The distance could not be bigger, so to speak.

So she was a totally unknown person, from an Argentine upper class milieu and married the Prince of Orange. She became engaged and was from day one the (future) Princess. I'm sure that Queen Beatrix found Máxima Zorreguieta Cerruti acceptable because she had no links with the Netherlands, so that she could start 'blanco' in here.

Last edited:
Unless you're into royalty like I have been since I was 11 a lot of people in the United States don't really know the princesses are the only one they know is the late Princess Diana and the late Princess Grace. Maybe Princess Caroline I've met like 2 people who know who she is. I know of Maxima and the rest of the family b/c my mother is Dutch. But the other princesses like Madeleine, Mary Victoria, Mathild. I found on this forum. I know one person who knows who Princess Letizia is b/c she lives in Spain. The only "princess" people here in this country idolize is Paris Hilton. Which is a damn shame.

Last edited:
catango said:
I'm Colombian, and here is well Known Princess Letizia, and is very popular with others like Carolina or Diana, but the other ones, never have been mentioned or notice.
Not even Maxima who's from South America?

planetcher said:
Nop. That is why I asked if she was popular in her country. I believe "argens" dont see with good eyes, their conationals that leave the Argentina.

I can say only Letizia, because Spain is still important in latinamerica´s life,and we share a past and our launguage, Caroline and Stefanie, cause they follow them quite close in te US, and we have a strong media impact form that country and Diana cause she was universal.

Last edited:
planetcher said:
I have seen more articles and pictures of Princess Mary here in Mexico, even about Princess Masako, but to see one of Princess Maxima is very rare:ohmy:

popy said:
I have seen more articles and pictures of Princess Mary here in Mexico, even about Princess Masako, but to see one of Princess Maxima is very rare:ohmy:

Really?:ohmy:
Well, here in Argentina we have news about Princess Máxima obviously:) And then from Letizia, but never of Mary:ermm:

I think the general greater popularity of the monarchy/royal family in the Netherlands and Denmark versus Spain, Belgium, and Norway plays a factor in the overwhelming popularity of Maxima, Mary, and Alexandra compared Letizia, Mathilde, and Mette-Marit. Not that Letizia, Mathilde, or Mette-Marit or their monarchies are unpopular in their respective countries, but Maxima, Mary, and Alexandra get to ride on the coat tails of the enthusiasm the Dutch and the Danes have for their royal institutions.

Last edited:
Henri M. said:
The advantage of a foreign Princess, especially when she is not of a noble birth is that not suddenly next-door-Annie becomes a Royal Highness. No one in the Netherlands can claim to have slept with her, having been befriended with her, having been classmate with her, whatever. She was a total stranger.

Princess Máxima comes from the other side of the world, from the southern hemisphere and married a Prince from a country at the other side of the world, on the northern hemisphere. The distance could not be bigger, so to speak.

So she was a totally unknown person, from an Argentine upper class milieu and married the Prince of Orange. She became engaged and was from day one the (future) Princess. I'm sure that Queen Beatrix found Máxima Zorreguieta Cerruti acceptable because she had no links with the Netherlands, so that she could start 'blanco' in here.

Yep, that is the same reason why is has been a very public secret for decades that Frederik had to find a foreign woman if he wanted to marry a commoner.

Actually it is not much more complicated then that.

avrilo said:
Nop. That is why I asked if she was popular in her country. I believe "argens" dont see with good eyes, their conationals that leave the Argentina

Well here almost everyone knows who Máxima is, but does not really care about her or are updated with her activities.

I think the general sensation here is that she is a upper-class girl who tripped into a fairy tale (or dived directly into it, depending on each one ;) ), and did pretty well. Period.

I also think it came out quite as a shock for those who called and still call her "la princesa argentina" (the Argentinian princess), to listen to her claiming her "dutchness" during a football match in the World Cup, only by chance played against her "former" country... but come on guys, what were we expecting really?

I think Letizia is very popular outside Spain esp. in Latin America bec they speak the same language or perhaps they understand the articles written about Letizia. Here in the Philippines Pss Diana is well-known but I can say that Letizia is also popular here. My friends know her than Mary or any other CPss. I think that all CPss are popular but Mary has more media following her than any other CPss for the reason that she's the girl next door type married into European royalty. Mary's transformation from commoner to royalty is pretty interesting not to mention she's Australian and we haven't heard of an Aussie being a princess just American i.e Grace. If you're to ask me why foreign Pss are so popular its bec they have 2 countries admiring them best example is Mary. I've read an article stating that Mary has put Denmark in the royal limelight meaning Danish royal coverage has been widened since Mary becoming a Danish Pss. ;) All CPss are popular in their own way.

If I speak for myself, all Princess are known to ME. I'm deeply interested in History, so, forcely I must know about Royalty...:D And I really can be updated about these people since here in Argentina we have "Hola" and "Point de Vue" (for the ones who may read French) in some big magazine shops. I knew about modern Royals much before I entered these Forums.

However, I must reckon that people here are only interested in Lady Di (highly interested I must say),Princess Caroline and somewhat Princess Stéphanie of Monaco (we have a quite bad souvenirs of this one, since she has an emotional break or something like this when she came here to present her first disc of songs, and sang them badly), Princess Maxima (less than the others) and recently, Princess Letizia. Oh...I forgot Sarah Ferguson. The former Duchess of York was very popular, since her mother Susan Barrantes had married an Argentinian and lived among us, until her awful death. But we are speaking less and less about her since her last visit.

And cultured people used to speak about the Shah and Shahbanu Farah Diba until Monarchy in Iran was overthrowed. The Shah and his wife visited us in the 60's and people really appreciated them. But it was back then...Nowadays, nobody would care about Reza Pahlavi, the Emperor in the exhile and much less about his wife or girls...That's sad.

And I must to say that here we have some European nobility exhiliated after European Revolutions and so on: mainly Polish, Hungarish and Russian nobility, but also French (we have a branch of the Latour d'Auvergne family here) and German. They lives in old aristocratic neighborhoods and some of them have mixed up with Argentinian High Class people. But nobody actually cares about them...Except me, and other crazy people like me! :ROFLMAO:

Vanesa.

Verde Esmeralda said:
I also think it came out quite as a shock for those who called and still call her "la princesa argentina" (the Argentinian princess), to listen to her claiming her "dutchness" during a football match in the World Cup, only by chance played against her "former" country... but come on guys, what were we expecting really?

I found an article on this (in Spanish)

Los medios del mundo, esta vez sin euforia

"La gran duda de los holandeses (y la nuestra, ¿por qué no?) antes del partido, era: ¿Por quién hincharía Máxima? Quedó la duda, pero ante la prensa argentina, ella dijo Holanda."

Briefly, it says: "The great doubt of the Dutch (and ours, why not?) before the match was: Which team would Máxima cheer for? The doubt remained, but to the argentinean press, she said The Netherlands."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom