Favourite Royal Names

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I understand it Zenouska was made up. It was something to do with some rock star who had a band called "Eno"- or perhaps his name was Eno, and the "ouska" was just a Russian sounding ending. I'm sure thtat Marina announced this when she was bourn...
I seem to remember reading in a bio of Pss Alexandra that she had said that she liked the unusual name.. and the writer saying "what else could she say?"

I did not say that all these names were made up, I said they were unusual. Did not know that Davina's husband was Maori, as I thought he was from Australia and that the names reflected Native Australian culture. (I don't like the term aboriginal and I don't know what the politically correct term is).
Zara was certainly an unusual name for a royal, and I believe that Anne chose it deliberately to indicate that she didn't think of her children as royals.
The Earl of Ulster 's 2 children also have unusual names, Xan and Cosima. the earl of St Andrews' 3 have traditional names, Marina Charlotte, Amelia and Edward,
Lady Helen Taylor has 2 sons called Columbus and Cassius, again unusual.. but Lord Nicholas's 3 sons have traditional names, Albert, Louis and Leopold.

Yes, Vincent is just unusual. Comes from Henri(k)'s side of the family, I presume. Zanouska was apparently quite popular about 20 years ago. As for Zara, isn't it biblical? I believe Charles suggested it to Anne. Lady Davina's husband is a Maori so I guess the children's names are from New Zealand.

I read somewhere that Charles suggested Zara to Anne, but I'm a bit sceptical. there was soemthing that Anne said that the baby was born at Dawn and that C had suggested it as it meant Dawn in Arabic.. but from what I've read, Zohr means dawn.. and I'm sure Chas would try and get it right. Zahr is Flower. and sometimes Zara is just a respelling of Sarah.
I think it was just an unusual non royal name and A picked it to show that she thought her children were not royal, so they were Peter and Z.
Lady Rose W's children have unusual names, Lylah and Rufus.. A funny thing is that Marina O's son is Christian Alexander and her brother James' son is Alex Christian!
Surely they could have thought of something different!!
I wonder if Will has another girl, he might go for a Spencer name like Cynthia but she would be Princess Cynthia and thtat sounds too "essy"..
I rather like the Name Constance and it has royal history.. Princess Constance could sound nice.. If Harry had a girl, she could be Say Constance Frances Henrietta...and her mother's name...
Or another nice idea, but which would only work for girls, woudl be a Shakespearean name like Imogen or Mariana.. or Olivia

Last edited:
I can't see William and Kate or Harry having a daughter with a name that doesn't fit in with their set of friends' children and Charlotte does, while I suppose Cynthia and Constance (lovely name) would seem a bit old fashioned.
I suppose the Alexanders among the Ogilvies is a tribute to Princess Alexandra. Things there have settled down considerably between Marina and her mother since earlier days.
Olivia was one of the outside runners when Kate was expecting Charlotte I believe, and forums like this one were speculating on names!

Last edited:
I see Charlotte as rather old fashioned, I assumed it was chosen as a royal name and a nod to Charles. But yeah I dont believe that W and Kate have much imagination or ideas, they would probably be put off names because they don't fit in with their friends' kids names!
I just think that Alex Christian and Chris Alex is a bit silly... really they have a reasonable choice of names, why not spread themselves a bit..
Notice that Marina has put Ogilvy back into hr name, after her divorce..

My favourite royal name for a boy is-and probably will always be-Alexander.

For girls, I can't make up my mind but Alice, Victoria, Elizabeth and Helena are pretty high in the list.

Please note that a number of off-topic posts have been deleted. This thread is to discuss in a mature way your favourite royal name, not an excuse to make fun of the choice of names that some people give to their children.

I love Charlotte's name. Its elegant and classic.

I can't see William and Kate or Harry having a daughter with a name that doesn't fit in with their set of friends' children and Charlotte does, while I suppose Cynthia and Constance (lovely name) would seem a bit old fashioned.
I suppose the Alexanders among the Ogilvies is a tribute to Princess Alexandra. Things there have settled down considerably between Marina and her mother since earlier days.
Olivia was one of the outside runners when Kate was expecting Charlotte I believe, and forums like this one were speculating on names!

Olivia :lol: There was no way WK were naming their child something so unroyal. Especially after George. Olivia may be OK for Pippa or a friend but not for the future 2nd in line. WK kids will all have boring/traditional overtly royal names. The most we can hope if a 3rd, they go back further and at least choose something not over used. There are a few Middleton names that fit, but I doubt it, other than Mary but again a too boring and common used, no surprise.

Edith: Carole's paternal grandmother, Edith was name of Edward the confessor's wife. She is said to be a fan of Downton Abbey.

Jane: 2 of Carole's great grandmothers. Also Spencer name. Jane Seymour

Emma: Mike has a great-grandmother Emily. Emma of Normandy.

Constance: Mike's maternal grandmother. Constance of York was granddaughter of Edward III. Constance of Normandy (daughter of William the conqueror.

Mary- Mike great grandmother, 2 queens and many others.

Amelia: Carole's great grandmother, daughters of George II and III.

Thomas: Carole's great grandfather. Son of Henry IV.
Stephen: Carol's paternal grandfather, King Stephenee
Richard: Michael grandfather, three kings
John: several in Kate and Spencer tree, doubt will ever use

Lupton names include Arthur, Elinor, Charles, William,
Frederick: Michael grandfather. father of George III. son of George III. brother of George III.

Uh, No. Say Harry was made Duke of Suffolk, Chelsy would be HRH The Duchess of Suffolk, not Duchess Chelsy. And in reality would be HRH Princess Henry, Duchess of Suffolk (as Kate is HRH Princess William, Duchess of Cambridge). They lose the right to their first name, unless 1. the queen makes them a princess in their own right 2. they become queen (kate would be Queen Catherine as queen consort) 3. they divorce and then their name would be Kate, Duchess of Cambridge or Chelsy, Duchess of Suffolk, the title being a last name.

To be fair, that didn't stop anyone from calling Diana Princess Diana.
I think Kate and William chose good names for their children unique but traditional and not boring or overused like Anne Mary Elizabeth.
I do wonder how Elizabeth and Phillip came up with Andrew.

Last edited:
I think Kate and William chose good names for their children unique but traditional and not boring or overused like Anne Mary Elizabeth.

It was the name of Phillip's father.

Charlotte perhaps (though William has a cousin with the exact name minus Elizabeth, born in 2012). But George? Unique:lol: Not overused :ROFLMAO: Mary has not been used as a first name since George III used it for his 11th child in 1776. Mary of Teck married in and Princess Mary was born Victoria. Anne hadn't since 1709 with George II's daughter. Charlotte was last used in 1796, so more recent than Mary.

Andrew was for his grandfather Prince Andrew.

Last edited:

I wouldnt say that Anne was over used? I can only think of Anne...the Pss Royal at present. I think that they could have gone a bit more imaginative fro George, poor little tyke... I DO think of it as an old fashioned name.. and I think that without going mad and going for Brett or Bradly, they could have picked something more unusual. I like Charlotte, and it is royal and classic.
Re other royal names I do think that there are a huge number of Alexanders and Alexandras out there in the RF's of Europe and Nicholases. If I were a royal mum I would REALLY Say no to Nicholas.

:previous: Why?? I don't know what matter if Nicholas in Sweden and Denmark. One thing if you have close family who used it. Not a fan of heirs having similar names but that isn't an issue with the new generation : Leonor, Elisabeth, Christian, Estelle, Catharina-Amalia, Ingrid-Alexandra and George. Only close will be if Guillaume has no kids and Amalia is heir, but Felix didn't know that. Oh and Jacques.

If you want to name your kid Nicholas, and you are neither Fred/Mary or CP/Sofia or Vic/Dan, go right ahead. They are only 2 Nicholas of that generation. Alexandra you have Norway and masculine I guess in Sweden. Eleanor and forms (Spain/Belgium/Sweden) seems most used in this generation in major houses (not going into defunct houses and minor branches).

Last generations it was Philip (Spain, Belgium and Sweden), William (Lux and UK, Guillaume is a form).

Is Paula a royal name? there was ever a royal called paula?

King Willem I of the Netherlands had a dochter Pauline (1800-1806)
The full name of Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands was Wilhelmina Helena Pauline Maria

I wouldnt say that Anne was over used? I can only think of Anne...the Pss Royal at present. I think that they could have gone a bit more imaginative fro George, poor little tyke... I DO think of it as an old fashioned name.. and I think that without going mad and going for Brett or Bradly, they could have picked something more unusual. I like Charlotte, and it is royal and classic.
Re other royal names I do think that there are a huge number of Alexanders and Alexandras out there in the RF's of Europe and Nicholases. If I were a royal mum I would REALLY Say no to Nicholas.

Anne is under used IMO.. I recall the name of one of Queen Anne's tragic children Anne-Sophia. I especially like Anne when paired with a beautiful girl's name. I hope Will and Kate read these threads, George, Charlotte and Anne-Sophia. I am about to swoon :D.

George and Charlotte are just classic royal names (and Charlotte was already making quite the comeback among girls' names before she was even born - I know of several). If they were to choose Anne-Sophia (hint, hint), that name and would shoot right up there too.

I love Charlotte's name. Its elegant and classic.

Exactly so, IloveCP!! Charlotte complements George nicely. George III's Queen Consort was Charlotte. Thus the Cambridge children pay tribute to George III and Queen Charlotte.

Very few British royals seem to give their children double-barrelled forenames, do they? There were some in former centuries, but it seems to have been a custom the BRF left to Continental royalty. Even in the mid-19th century when combinations like Emma-Charlotte and Georgina-Anne were popular, Victoria never indulged herself.

Not sure matter of not indulging :ermm: The Hanoverians showed their German roots.George I was George Ludwig (he and his 6 siblings all had double). Both his kids, George Augustus and Sophia Dorothea did. George II had Frederick Louis, George William, William Augustus, the girls had 1. Fred had Augusta Frederica, Edward Augustus, Elizabeth Caroline, William Henry, Henry Frederick, Louise Anne, Frederick William and Caroline Matilde (only George III didn't). George III had Frederick Augustus, William Henry, Edward Augustus, Augusta Sophia, Ernst Augustus, Augustus Frederick, Adolphus Frederick, Sophia Matilda, Victoria had Albert Edward. Her son followed, only double for eldest Albert Victor. It ended with them though Margaret was often Margaret Rose.

Only ones before I recall is right before. James I 1st son was Henry Frederick. Charles I had Charles James, Mary Henrietta. Anne had Anne Sophia

Last edited:
Is Paula a royal name? there was ever a royal called paula?

Pauline Bonaparte was the sister of Emperor Napoleon I.
Princess Mary of Teck was Victoria Mary Augusta Louise Olga Pauline Claudine Agnes.

Anne is under used IMO.. I recall the name of one of Queen Anne's tragic children Anne-Sophia. I especially like Anne when paired with a beautiful girl's name. I hope Will and Kate read these threads, George, Charlotte and Anne-Sophia. I am about to swoon :D.

and would shoot right up there too.

I don't think it will happen. I doubt if there will be another baby and if there is, they wont use a name that's already in use Like Anne, and they wont use a double name..I'd go for Alice, if they did have another baby or if Harry has a daughter..

Alice would be a lovely tribute to Philip via his mom. I hope one of his grandchildren use it:flowers:

Alice would be a lovely tribute to Philip via his mom. I hope one of his grandchildren use it:flowers:

It was a marvelous tribute that Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip used Alice as one of Princess Anne's middle names.

I thought that it was very likely to be charlotte's name ( I was wrong). I almot had a bet on it but then I DID pick Charlotte!
with regard to P Felix and his wife, who are having another child, I wonder if, should they have a girl, they would go for MarieAnne, which was the name of te Grand Duchess, who was the mother of 6 daughters.. including the Gd Duchess Marie Adelaide, and G Duchess Charlotte.
I always wonder though why it seems quite rare for the royal brides who have married in, for their names to be used for their daughters.. Sarah York's 2 girls, neither of them has Sarah or Margaret as a second or third name.. Same with Kate...and Sophie Wessex...I believe that the Theo in James Ld Severns name is from Sophie's side of the family, and Mary, Beatrice's 3rd name is for Susan Mary Barrantes, Sarah's mother.. but it seems like the wives' names are not used much? the only one I can think of is Lady Gabriella Windsor, who is named after Pss Michael's mother.

Last edited:
I like the name of King Christian X of Denmark's wife, Alexandrine. Alexandrine sounds quite fancy. Perhaps some day a Princess of Denmark will have Alexandrine as a first or middle name.

I thought that it was very likely to be charlotte's name ( I was wrong). I almot had a bet on it but then I DID pick Charlotte!
with regard to P Felix and his wife, who are having another child, I wonder if, should they have a girl, they would go for MarieAnne, which was the name of te Grand Duchess, who was the mother of 6 daughters.. including the Gd Duchess Marie Adelaide, and G Duchess Charlotte.
I always wonder though why it seems quite rare for the royal brides who have married in, for their names to be used for their daughters.. Sarah York's 2 girls, neither of them has Sarah or Margaret as a second or third name.. Same with Kate...and Sophie Wessex...I believe that the Theo in James Ld Severns name is from Sophie's side of the family, and Mary, Beatrice's 3rd name is for Susan Mary Barrantes, Sarah's mother.. but it seems like the wives' names are not used much? the only one I can think of is Lady Gabriella Windsor, who is named after Pss Michael's mother.

Naming for a mother is rare. But their families get honored.

Charlotte has Elizabeth which is as much for Kate as the queen. Kate is Catherine Elizabeth, her mom Carole Elizabeth, Carol's grandmother was Elizabeth 'Lily' Harrison and Lily's mother Elizabeth Temple.

In the UK, closer to the throne the more Royal a name they choose. We do see some non royal names, or like Elizabeth, names common in both families.

-Harry's middle come from both families. Diana's grandfather was Albert and her brother is Charles
-Peter was named for Mark's dad and Mark
-Louise has Mary for grandma and James has Theo which is common in Sophie's family

In other countries non royal names common

Triple A's 3rd name is all for Max's side: Amalia has Carmen for grandma (and long line of women), Alexia has Marcela for Max's Aunt/godmother. Ariane has Ines for Max's sister (Ariane's godmother). WA has Claus George which was Prince Claus' full first name.

Estelle has Ewa for Grandma, Oscar has Daniel's proper name, Olof. Victoria has Alice for Silvia's Mom. Leonor has Maria for Chris' mom, Nicolas has Paul for Chris' dad. Alexander has Erik for Sofia's dad.

Christian, Isabella, Henrik and Athena all named for grandparents on both sides. Nikolai is named for his godmother Nicola and Alex's grandfather William. Vincent and Josephine's last come from Donaldsons (Alexander and Mathilda).

Elisabeth has Helene for aunt/godmother. Gabriel has Charles for Mathilde's paternal grandfather. Eleanore has Anne Marie for Mathilde's mother.

Amalia of Lux is named for both grandmothers. Gabriel has Michael and Ronny for Tessy's brothers.

Last edited:
Mark Phillip's father was named Peter so that's probably the source of his son's name.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Mark Phillip's father was named Peter so that's probably the source of his son's name.

well that's my point. Anne clearly wanted to use her husband's family's names, as well as her own. Zara is Z Anne Elizabeth, which is an unusaul name (ie signalling "I dont think of my children as royals") and Anne is for herself and Mark's mother and Eliz for the queen.
I just feel that with women who marry in, well if it were me, I'd certainly want my daughter to have my name as a second name.. or a female name from my own family... Why not "name chosen because we like it", Mother's name, and a royal name.. So Eugeinie for example could have been Eugenie Sarah Victoria...

I just posted because an earlier post said Peter was for a friend of Mark.

William and Kate did actually name their daughter for Kate's family. Charlotte is Pippa's middle name, Elizabeth is Kate's and Carole's. Those names also have Royal connections too. The source of Diana as her third name is obvious.

Somehow I don't think that they were thinking of Philippa's middle name. I think that Charlotte was a royal name they liked, Eliz was for the queen and Diana - they could hardly not name Diana...I really felt that they could have put in a Middleton name that people would recognise. Why not Caroline for her mother? after all Kate's parents were involved too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom