Favourite Royal Names

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a weakness for Ingrid. It's such a beautiful name, one of my own personal favourites. I think I would probably choose that as a name if I had to pick a royal name for myself. And if I had to go all in with a royal-length name, it would probably be Ingrid Françoise Margaret Josefina.

I'm 1/4 Greenlandic so I am bound to love Ivalo and Minik – Ivalo in particular. I would have wished they had used Ivik insetad of Minik because Ivalo and Ivik sounds precious, but I love Minik as well.

Full names:
Bertil Gustaf Oskar Carl Eugén
Carl Philip Edmund Bertil
Caroline Mathilde (Caroline Matilda)
Charlotte Marie Pomeline
Cosima Alexandra Rose
George Alexander Louis
Ingrid Alexandra
Ingrid Victoria Sofia Louise Margareta
James Alexander Philip Theo
Joséphine Maximilienne Eugénie Napoléone
Josephine Sophia Ivalo Mathilda
Louise Augusta
Margaret Rose
Margaret Victoria Charlotte Augusta Norah
Victoria Ingrid Alice Désirée

Individual names:
Alexander
Anastasia
Artemisia
Bertil
Carl-Johan
Catherine
Charles
Dagmar
Edmund
Françoise
Frederika
Henry
Ingrid
Ivalo
Leonor/Leonore
Louis
Margaret
Matilda
Olga
Oskar
Sigvard
Valdemar
Zenobia

Sophia-Hedwig. I like the sound of the feminine Sophia in connection with the Wagnerian Hedwig. In history there were a couple of royal Sophia-Hedwigs.

The monegasque genealogical tree has some interesting male names like Florestan, Hippolyte, Aurélien and Hercule.

Sophia-Hedwig. I like the sound of the feminine Sophia in connection with the Wagnerian Hedwig. In history there were a couple of royal Sophia-Hedwigs.
We in Sweden had a princess named Hedvig Sofia. She was the daughter of Carl XI and the sister of Carl XII and Ulrika Eleonora Jr. But I've never heard of a Sofia Hedvig.

I had no idea where to put this so I thought is drop it here. What do you think would happen if instead of being Catherine Middleton, Kate's parents had been crazy hippies and named their daughter something stupid like Hopscotch, Rainbow, Apple, or Blu Ivy? Still the same girl he knows and loves still the same story, but with a really really stupid name.

I like Alois after the Reigning Princes Alois of Liechtenstein.
I like Vladimir after the Grand Duke Vladimir of Russia.

We in Sweden had a princess named Hedvig Sofia. She was the daughter of Carl XI and the sister of Carl XII and Ulrika Eleonora Jr. But I've never heard of a Sofia Hedvig.

There were a few:

Sophia-Hedwig of Denmark-daughter of Christian V
Sophia Hedwig of Brunswick-Luneburg- a granddaughter of Frederick II of Denmark. She was the great-grandmother of Johan Friso, the most recent common ancestor of the modern royal families of Europe.
Sophie-Hedwig of Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel- duchess of Pomerania (sophie not Sophia but still)
Sophia-Hedwig of Sax-Lauenburg- one of many children of Frans II
Duchess Sophie Hedwig of Schleswig-Holstein-Glücksburg- named for her mother (1 above her)
Sophie Hedwig of Saxe-Merseburg- granddaughter of Sophia-Hedwig of Sax-Lauenberg

Last edited:
I love the name Madeleine. I think it has a very pretty sound to it. In general I do like the more classic Royal names like Alexandra, Sophia, Victoria, Catherine, Philip, (and variants) Alexander, Christian and Nicholas, though I'm not so keen on George. Estelle is very unusual and I do wonder what Victoria and Dan have planned for baby no.2!

I had no idea where to put this so I thought is drop it here. What do you think would happen if instead of being Catherine Middleton, Kate's parents had been crazy hippies and named their daughter something stupid like Hopscotch, Rainbow, Apple, or Blu Ivy? Still the same girl he knows and loves still the same story, but with a really really stupid name.

Or if William and not Peter had married Autumn. Can we picture a Queen Autumn? Name wise he chose a traditional consort. We could have had considering previous dating as a queen consort, Queen Davina, Queen Rose (which actually would be fitting), Queen Arabella, Queen Carly, Queen Olivia or Queen Jecca.

Maybe it's because I'm Australian and Charlene is considered a bit of a bogan name here, I've never come to terms with Princess Charlene, lovely though the woman is. If Harry had married Chelsy Davy she would of course have been Duchess Chelsy which doesn't really have a good vibe either.

Uh, No. Say Harry was made Duke of Suffolk, Chelsy would be HRH The Duchess of Suffolk, not Duchess Chelsy. And in reality would be HRH Princess Henry, Duchess of Suffolk (as Kate is HRH Princess William, Duchess of Cambridge). They lose the right to their first name, unless 1. the queen makes them a princess in their own right 2. they become queen (kate would be Queen Catherine as queen consort) 3. they divorce and then their name would be Kate, Duchess of Cambridge or Chelsy, Duchess of Suffolk, the title being a last name.

Alois, Stephan, Adelicia, Victoria, Charlamagne, Anastasia, Alexei, Nicholas, Alexander, Tatiana, Eudoxia,
Christian

Last edited:
Maybe it's because I'm Australian and Charlene is considered a bit of a bogan name here, I've never come to terms with Princess Charlene, lovely though the woman is. If Harry had married Chelsy Davy she would of course have been Duchess Chelsy which doesn't really have a good vibe either.

Oh yes its taken me a while to not giggle at Princess Charlene you would have to be an Aussie to get why ??

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Uh, No. Say Harry was made Duke of Suffolk, Chelsy would be HRH The Duchess of Suffolk, not Duchess Chelsy. And in reality would be HRH Princess Henry, Duchess of Suffolk (as Kate is HRH Princess William, Duchess of Cambridge). They lose the right to their first name, unless 1. the queen makes them a princess in their own right 2. they become queen (kate would be Queen Catherine as queen consort) 3. they divorce and then their name would be Kate, Duchess of Cambridge or Chelsy, Duchess of Suffolk, the title being a last name.

I was using the vernacular in a jokey way. I know that she would be the Duchess of Suffolk (if that was the title that was chosen, probably Sussex, actually) but was just pointing out that I didn't think that Chelsy was a particularly appropriate first name for a duchess and a royal. I didn't mean that I believed that people would go around formally addressing her as 'Duchess Chelsy'.

We do all know that. We also know when we are having a light hearted talk about names

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

The forum police are out are they? So we can call people whatever we want because it is lighthearted? Okay so I can feel free to call Kate Princess Spaniel and Sofia Priness Hoefia for instance. All in light hearted fun? Because calling people proper names is not lighthearted?

No where on this board does it say 'joke thread' or 'has to be light hearted'. Its a 'discussion thread' about royal names. But thanks forum police for being snippy.

Just see my previous post, Countess. I was just being lighthearted about the name Chelsy, (which is her forename, not Spaniel etc.)

mmm Countessmeout I am not really sure what your upset about but sorry if I upset you.I like a laugh now and then and I have just had a good one Princess Spaniel ha ha

More and more this happens; someone wants to have a chuckle and the thought police come out, ready to jump in and correct and instruct us on how knowledgeable they are.. and how stupid and ignorant and uncouth the rest of us are.

Seriously, peoople, it's Saturday night.. go have a drink and put on some jazz.

That said, I do want to jump in on favorite royal names. I love anything with Adelaide or Charlotte in it. One of my favorites is the new Charlotte Elizabeth Diana - makes me swoon.

I also love the name Ingrid Alexandra - so ice-princessy to my American ears.

Boys' names are a tougher call. I don't think there's anything I particularly love. Little Jacques of Monaco perhaps is the winner.. Jacques and Gabriella are lovely names for twins.

I looked back at the original post and it said "which royal name would you chose for yourself", well: i would choose Elisabeth, because that actually *is* my name ;) or if i were a boy "Harry" because that actually would have been my name had i been a boy (it was my granddad's name).

:lol:

For the royal families i like the names that have tradition, like the Frederik-Christian sequence in Denmark

I think Alexandra is the most regal name I can think of, and therefore my favourite royal name. Otherwise, my own name Christina, is also quite nice with a title infront of it :) That's probably why I have always liked the Countess of Fredriksborg so much, as her name is Alexandra Christina :)

I like many royal names for girls such as Alice, Alexandra, Mary, Rose, Margaret, Charlott, Victoria and Catherine.

For boys I have my fav too: William is a very regal name IMO, so they are Henry and Alexander.

When I think of royal names that I like, I think at the top of my list and one that I would pick for myself would be Anne.

For a guy, I like Arthur.

When I think of royal names that I like, I think at the top of my list and one that I would pick for myself would be Anne.

For a guy, I like Arthur.

I like Anne with a hyphen. Anne-Sophia was the oldest daughter of Queen Anne. Had she lived, it might have started a trend in British Queen names.

I've always liked the name Marina. I like Juliana and Victoria as well. I think Russian royal names are the nicest ones, though - Alexander, Tatiana, Katherine/Ekaterina.

People might well talk about "Duchess Chelsy", in the same way that they used to talk about "Princess Diana" rather than the correct "the Princess of Wales" ... although the Duchess of Cambridge still seems to be referred to as "Kate Middleton"!

I do like the name Charlene, but I'm from the generation which primarily associates the name with Kylie Minogue's character in Neighbours, so I find it quite strange as a royal name :).

My favourite name is Alexandros (Alexander) and for the women agree with Alison H mostly the Russian is my favourites Anastasia, Tatiana, Olga.

I like Philippe after Prince Philippe of Belgium, Count of Flanders. There have been Kings of France named Philippe.

I like Alexander/ Alexandra and the diminutive, Alex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom