The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-31-2016, 03:29 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Alice would be a lovely tribute to Philip via his mom. I hope one of his grandchildren use it
I thought that it was very likely to be charlotte's name ( I was wrong). I almot had a bet on it but then I DID pick Charlotte!
with regard to P Felix and his wife, who are having another child, I wonder if, should they have a girl, they would go for MarieAnne, which was the name of te Grand Duchess, who was the mother of 6 daughters.. including the Gd Duchess Marie Adelaide, and G Duchess Charlotte.
I always wonder though why it seems quite rare for the royal brides who have married in, for their names to be used for their daughters.. Sarah York's 2 girls, neither of them has Sarah or Margaret as a second or third name.. Same with Kate...and Sophie Wessex...I believe that the Theo in James Ld Severns name is from Sophie's side of the family, and Mary, Beatrice's 3rd name is for Susan Mary Barrantes, Sarah's mother.. but it seems like the wives' names are not used much? the only one I can think of is Lady Gabriella Windsor, who is named after Pss Michael's mother.

Old 08-06-2016, 11:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

I like the name of King Christian X of Denmark's wife, Alexandrine. Alexandrine sounds quite fancy. Perhaps some day a Princess of Denmark will have Alexandrine as a first or middle name.

Old 08-07-2016, 12:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I thought that it was very likely to be charlotte's name ( I was wrong). I almot had a bet on it but then I DID pick Charlotte!
with regard to P Felix and his wife, who are having another child, I wonder if, should they have a girl, they would go for MarieAnne, which was the name of te Grand Duchess, who was the mother of 6 daughters.. including the Gd Duchess Marie Adelaide, and G Duchess Charlotte.
I always wonder though why it seems quite rare for the royal brides who have married in, for their names to be used for their daughters.. Sarah York's 2 girls, neither of them has Sarah or Margaret as a second or third name.. Same with Kate...and Sophie Wessex...I believe that the Theo in James Ld Severns name is from Sophie's side of the family, and Mary, Beatrice's 3rd name is for Susan Mary Barrantes, Sarah's mother.. but it seems like the wives' names are not used much? the only one I can think of is Lady Gabriella Windsor, who is named after Pss Michael's mother.

Naming for a mother is rare. But their families get honored.

Charlotte has Elizabeth which is as much for Kate as the queen. Kate is Catherine Elizabeth, her mom Carole Elizabeth, Carol's grandmother was Elizabeth 'Lily' Harrison and Lily's mother Elizabeth Temple.

In the UK, closer to the throne the more Royal a name they choose. We do see some non royal names, or like Elizabeth, names common in both families.

-Harry's middle come from both families. Diana's grandfather was Albert and her brother is Charles
-Peter was named for Mark's dad and Mark
-Louise has Mary for grandma and James has Theo which is common in Sophie's family

In other countries non royal names common

Triple A's 3rd name is all for Max's side: Amalia has Carmen for grandma (and long line of women), Alexia has Marcela for Max's Aunt/godmother. Ariane has Ines for Max's sister (Ariane's godmother). WA has Claus George which was Prince Claus' full first name.

Estelle has Ewa for Grandma, Oscar has Daniel's proper name, Olof. Victoria has Alice for Silvia's Mom. Leonor has Maria for Chris' mom, Nicolas has Paul for Chris' dad. Alexander has Erik for Sofia's dad.

Christian, Isabella, Henrik and Athena all named for grandparents on both sides. Nikolai is named for his godmother Nicola and Alex's grandfather William. Vincent and Josephine's last come from Donaldsons (Alexander and Mathilda).

Elisabeth has Helene for aunt/godmother. Gabriel has Charles for Mathilde's paternal grandfather. Eleanore has Anne Marie for Mathilde's mother.

Amalia of Lux is named for both grandmothers. Gabriel has Michael and Ronny for Tessy's brothers.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Mark Phillip's father was named Peter so that's probably the source of his son's name.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 08-07-2016, 04:47 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Mark Phillip's father was named Peter so that's probably the source of his son's name.

well that's my point. Anne clearly wanted to use her husband's family's names, as well as her own. Zara is Z Anne Elizabeth, which is an unusaul name (ie signalling "I dont think of my children as royals") and Anne is for herself and Mark's mother and Eliz for the queen.
I just feel that with women who marry in, well if it were me, I'd certainly want my daughter to have my name as a second name.. or a female name from my own family... Why not "name chosen because we like it", Mother's name, and a royal name.. So Eugeinie for example could have been Eugenie Sarah Victoria...
Old 08-07-2016, 10:03 AM
Heir Apparent

I just posted because an earlier post said Peter was for a friend of Mark.

William and Kate did actually name their daughter for Kate's family. Charlotte is Pippa's middle name, Elizabeth is Kate's and Carole's. Those names also have Royal connections too. The source of Diana as her third name is obvious.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:18 PM
Serene Highness

Somehow I don't think that they were thinking of Philippa's middle name. I think that Charlotte was a royal name they liked, Eliz was for the queen and Diana - they could hardly not name Diana...I really felt that they could have put in a Middleton name that people would recognise. Why not Caroline for her mother? after all Kate's parents were involved too.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Favourite Royal Name

Caroline isn't Kate's mother name. We don't know what the discussion was behind the decisions that the Cambridges had for their children's names. However Catherine is knows what her own middle name is and the middle names of her siblings and parents. A name can honor more than one person- Elizabeth can be for The Queen, Queen Mum, Carole and Catherine.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:50 PM
Serene Highness

No its Carole and I don't think they would use that.....
Old 08-07-2016, 07:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Carol/ina is a form of Charlotte/Charles. Both Charles and Carol/Caroline come from the Latin Carolus. Hence the American Carolinas being named for King Charles.

I do think Kate very much saw Elizabeth as an honor to her family as much as the queen, 3rd (not sure what Dorothy's middle was) generation of 1st daughters with Elizabeth as a middle name.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

When was the last time a Prince was given the name of Geoffrey? Geoffrey Plantagenet was the fourth son of King Henry II of England. Geoffrey (1158-1186) became Duke of Brittany.