The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-23-2016, 10:35 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Uh, No. Say Harry was made Duke of Suffolk, Chelsy would be HRH The Duchess of Suffolk, not Duchess Chelsy. And in reality would be HRH Princess Henry, Duchess of Suffolk (as Kate is HRH Princess William, Duchess of Cambridge). They lose the right to their first name, unless 1. the queen makes them a princess in their own right 2. they become queen (kate would be Queen Catherine as queen consort) 3. they divorce and then their name would be Kate, Duchess of Cambridge or Chelsy, Duchess of Suffolk, the title being a last name.

We do all know that. We also know when we are having a light hearted talk about names

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 01-23-2016, 11:17 PM
Heir Apparent

The forum police are out are they? So we can call people whatever we want because it is lighthearted? Okay so I can feel free to call Kate Princess Spaniel and Sofia Priness Hoefia for instance. All in light hearted fun? Because calling people proper names is not lighthearted?

No where on this board does it say 'joke thread' or 'has to be light hearted'. Its a 'discussion thread' about royal names. But thanks forum police for being snippy.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Just see my previous post, Countess. I was just being lighthearted about the name Chelsy, (which is her forename, not Spaniel etc.)
Old 01-23-2016, 11:39 PM
Royal Highness

mmm Countessmeout I am not really sure what your upset about but sorry if I upset you.I like a laugh now and then and I have just had a good one Princess Spaniel ha ha
Old 01-23-2016, 11:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

More and more this happens; someone wants to have a chuckle and the thought police come out, ready to jump in and correct and instruct us on how knowledgeable they are.. and how stupid and ignorant and uncouth the rest of us are.

Seriously, peoople, it's Saturday night.. go have a drink and put on some jazz.

That said, I do want to jump in on favorite royal names. I love anything with Adelaide or Charlotte in it. One of my favorites is the new Charlotte Elizabeth Diana - makes me swoon.

I also love the name Ingrid Alexandra - so ice-princessy to my American ears.

Boys' names are a tougher call. I don't think there's anything I particularly love. Little Jacques of Monaco perhaps is the winner.. Jacques and Gabriella are lovely names for twins.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

I looked back at the original post and it said "which royal name would you chose for yourself", well: i would choose Elisabeth, because that actually *is* my name or if i were a boy "Harry" because that actually would have been my name had i been a boy (it was my granddad's name).

For the royal families i like the names that have tradition, like the Frederik-Christian sequence in Denmark
Old 01-24-2016, 07:01 AM
Nobility

I think Alexandra is the most regal name I can think of, and therefore my favourite royal name. Otherwise, my own name Christina, is also quite nice with a title infront of it :) That's probably why I have always liked the Countess of Fredriksborg so much, as her name is Alexandra Christina :)
Old 01-24-2016, 09:13 AM
Heir Apparent

I like many royal names for girls such as Alice, Alexandra, Mary, Rose, Margaret, Charlott, Victoria and Catherine.

For boys I have my fav too: William is a very regal name IMO, so they are Henry and Alexander.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Alexandra, Isabelle, Eleanor
Old 01-24-2016, 11:02 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
When I think of royal names that I like, I think at the top of my list and one that I would pick for myself would be Anne.

For a guy, I like Arthur.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 01-24-2016, 11:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
When I think of royal names that I like, I think at the top of my list and one that I would pick for myself would be Anne.

For a guy, I like Arthur.
I like Anne with a hyphen. Anne-Sophia was the oldest daughter of Queen Anne. Had she lived, it might have started a trend in British Queen names.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:31 PM
Gentry

I've always liked the name Marina. I like Juliana and Victoria as well. I think Russian royal names are the nicest ones, though - Alexander, Tatiana, Katherine/Ekaterina.

People might well talk about "Duchess Chelsy", in the same way that they used to talk about "Princess Diana" rather than the correct "the Princess of Wales" ... although the Duchess of Cambridge still seems to be referred to as "Kate Middleton"!

I do like the name Charlene, but I'm from the generation which primarily associates the name with Kylie Minogue's character in Neighbours, so I find it quite strange as a royal name :-).
Old 01-24-2016, 01:40 PM
Heir Apparent

My favourite name is Alexandros (Alexander) and for the women agree with Alison H mostly the Russian is my favourites Anastasia, Tatiana, Olga.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

I like Philippe after Prince Philippe of Belgium, Count of Flanders. There have been Kings of France named Philippe.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:38 PM
Heir Apparent

I like Alexander/ Alexandra and the diminutive, Alex.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:07 AM

Elizabeth and Victoria
Old 07-22-2016, 04:49 AM
Commoner

Letizia,Victoria,Sofia
Old 07-24-2016, 03:36 AM
Serene Highness

As I understand it Zenouska was made up. It was something to do with some rock star who had a band called "Eno"- or perhaps his name was Eno, and the "ouska" was just a Russian sounding ending. I'm sure thtat Marina announced this when she was bourn...
I seem to remember reading in a bio of Pss Alexandra that she had said that she liked the unusual name.. and the writer saying "what else could she say?"

I did not say that all these names were made up, I said they were unusual. Did not know that Davina's husband was Maori, as I thought he was from Australia and that the names reflected Native Australian culture. (I don't like the term aboriginal and I don't know what the politically correct term is).
Zara was certainly an unusual name for a royal, and I believe that Anne chose it deliberately to indicate that she didn't think of her children as royals.
The Earl of Ulster 's 2 children also have unusual names, Xan and Cosima. the earl of St Andrews' 3 have traditional names, Marina Charlotte, Amelia and Edward,
Lady Helen Taylor has 2 sons called Columbus and Cassius, again unusual.. but Lord Nicholas's 3 sons have traditional names, Albert, Louis and Leopold.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, Vincent is just unusual. Comes from Henri(k)'s side of the family, I presume. Zanouska was apparently quite popular about 20 years ago. As for Zara, isn't it biblical? I believe Charles suggested it to Anne. Lady Davina's husband is a Maori so I guess the children's names are from New Zealand.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:11 AM
Serene Highness

I read somewhere that Charles suggested Zara to Anne, but I'm a bit sceptical. there was soemthing that Anne said that the baby was born at Dawn and that C had suggested it as it meant Dawn in Arabic.. but from what I've read, Zohr means dawn.. and I'm sure Chas would try and get it right. Zahr is Flower. and sometimes Zara is just a respelling of Sarah.
I think it was just an unusual non royal name and A picked it to show that she thought her children were not royal, so they were Peter and Z.
Lady Rose W's children have unusual names, Lylah and Rufus.. A funny thing is that Marina O's son is Christian Alexander and her brother James' son is Alex Christian!
Surely they could have thought of something different!!
I wonder if Will has another girl, he might go for a Spencer name like Cynthia but she would be Princess Cynthia and thtat sounds too "essy"..
I rather like the Name Constance and it has royal history.. Princess Constance could sound nice.. If Harry had a girl, she could be Say Constance Frances Henrietta...and her mother's name...
Or another nice idea, but which would only work for girls, woudl be a Shakespearean name like Imogen or Mariana.. or Olivia