Old 09-28-2005, 11:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

I love Queen Victory too, she was amazing

Old 09-28-2005, 11:36 AM
Serene Highness

queen Elizabeth she really is the glue to her family

Old 09-28-2005, 02:13 PM
Nobility

Favourite ever? A hard one, it is a bit unfair to compare absolute and constitutional monarchs... So, all in all, Queen Victoria.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:57 PM
Gentry

The Queen Mother, Elizabeth-She was kind to everyone and tried to treat others with respect. I like how the whole family stayed in England during the war. The suggestion was made that her daughters be sent to Canada for safety, the Queen replied: "The Princesses will never leave without me, I will not leave without the King-and the King will never leave." I also liked how she said during the war: "I'm glad we've been bombed. Now I can look the East end in the face!". She said this to a policeman after Buckingham Palace was bombed in 1940. She was a classy lady!
Old 10-30-2005, 05:05 PM

Re:

For me, it's the Duke and Duchess of Windsor.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:46 AM
Administrator

Explanation required!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
For me, it's the Duke and Duchess of Windsor.
You have to give an explanation of why they are your favourite(s) or else we just end up with a list of names which conveys nothing.

W
Old 10-31-2005, 10:58 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jil
The Queen Mother, Elizabeth-She was kind to everyone and tried to treat others with respect. I like how the whole family stayed in England during the war. The suggestion was made that her daughters be sent to Canada for safety, the Queen replied: "The Princesses will never leave without me, I will not leave without the King-and the King will never leave." I also liked how she said during the war: "I'm glad we've been bombed. Now I can look the East end in the face!". She said this to a policeman after Buckingham Palace was bombed in 1940. She was a classy lady!
The Queen Mother is my favourite too, for the reasons you have said.

Also, Queen Elizabeth II because she is such a strong leader and a strong person.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:12 AM
Commoner

I think both Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth were great personalities with great accomplishments for their country.
My favorite royals though are Elizabeth II because of her grace and strength and Prince Phillip because of his humour, his understatement and his support for the Queen (Prince Albert would be a favorite in this category too).
And finally the Countess of Wessex cause I think she's a very strong and patient person. She did not let herself or Edward put under pressure because they waited so long till they got married.
And she's made some mistakes (or well, one big mistake) and she stood it through, smiling and silently without making a fuss about it, she reversed her royal role although it must have been hard for her, giving up her own agency, and got more popular than ever.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

ill add Queen Victoria
Prince Albert their 8 children (other than the Duke of Abany because ive already named him) King William IV King William III
Queen Elizabeth I
King George I II And King George III His wife and 15 children
King Edward IV
Edward V
Edward VI
Edward VII
Edward VIII
Henry IV
Henry V
Henry VI
Henry VII
Henry VIII
His Brother Arthur
his 6 wives and Bloody Mary
Queen Anne Her husband and children
Elizabeth II Her Husband and children and grandchildren and her Gloucester and Kent cousins
Old 10-31-2005, 05:00 PM

Re:

Why do I like the Duke and Duchess of Windsor?

Maybe it's the glamour but I think that the appeal is the myths surrounding them both. I love the idea that they did what they wanted and lived for the day. They wanted to meet Hitler, so they did. She wanted to cover herself in brilliant clothes and gems, so she did. It's just a wonderful story and there's so much, "What might have been" to them.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:06 PM
Courtier

my favorite.....Queen Alexandra and Diana, the Princess of Wales
Old 10-31-2005, 06:33 PM
Courtier

My favorite is Queen Victoria, The late Princess Diana and Tsar NicholasII and their family (tragic) Queen mother Elizabeth Sweet lady....
Old 11-01-2005, 07:06 AM
Administrator

To contributors to this thread:

The TRF is a discussion Forum.

We can't have a discussion unless you tell us, for example, what you admire about certain Royals; what have they done/do they do that impresses you? Why do you have a soft spot for them? What aspects of their personality appeal to you?

In short, WHY do you like them? WHY are they your favourite?

Otherwise we just end up with lists of names, and that isn't very interesting.

thanks,
Warren
British Forums Moderator
Old 11-01-2005, 07:20 AM
Heir Apparent

My favourite British Royal of course is Queen Elizabeth II.I have got interested in Royalty since 1997, and that was when i visited a bookshop and i read a book about 100 most famous women in 20th century and the first one i dont know if there is anything luck between that, but the first person i just suddenly opened exacly at the word letter"E" saw from the book was The Queen!And then i read about The Queen, and i had got really mcuh interested about Her Majesty.Then over the years, i have been collected and found information and updated all everything news about the Queen and the Royal Family.In my opinion, The Queen is a really elegant and lovely woman, she is strong, though she was crowned when she was just 25 years old, but she had ruled her country by her distinction, and had done really much efforts to her country and the Commonwealth, she has brought links between countries in the Commonwealth together,she is a really great symbol and model for us to study from. And last i would say:
" GOD SAVE OUR GRACIOUS QUEEN ELIZABETH II"
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 11-01-2005, 08:29 AM
Aristocracy

Queen Eleanor of Aquitaine is my favourite English Royal, although she was orginally French. She is an inspiration to all women. She was amazingly beautiful and very powerful in both France and England. Not to mention she was the mother of great Kings and Queens such as Richard the Lionheart.

My favourite Royal currently has to be Prince Philip. He is really misunderstood and is one of the hardest working royals. Plus, he says what he thinks...at least he is honest!!
Old 12-01-2005, 10:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

Princess Anne. She does a tremendous amount of work for charity for very little public recognition. She has managed to be a brilliant olympic medalist, mother, daughter and Royal.
She speaks her mind but also listens.
She is a totally honest, hardworking person.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

I've been reading an amazing book about Richard the Third. He could have been a great king. he is sadly maligned by history.

he's definitely one of my favorite members of the British royal family.

http://www.richardiii.net/
Old 12-03-2005, 01:08 AM
Aristocracy

Favorite British Royals

The reigns of queens have been very eventful both north and south of Hadrian's wall. Elizabeth of England presided over a golden age and put England on the world map as a world power. My favorite is Victoria, especially while Prince Albert was alive. She did the best she could with a minor bump over her Ladies in Waiting and some tension with Mr. Gladstone. Not bad when you consider that her role was much larger than it is for subsequent monarchs. She also had that huge family with branches all over Europe, being good enough to allow Beatrice to marry. She presided over an Empire upon which the sun never set and a remarkable period of social and economic growth. She lost her beloved Albert to infectious disease in mid-reign, a reign during which science discovered how disease is spread and the development of engineering and medical countermeasures. People traveled by horse when she was born, by train and car when she died and inventors world-wide were trying to fly.

Queen Elizabeth today has likewise tried to do her best. She helped reign in some of the more extreme positions of Margaret Thatcher. She has taken her duties seriously. She stands by her man. But after Queen Victoria, Princess Margaret is my favorite because of her sheer beauty and elegance.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:40 AM
Heir Apparent

My top ten of British Royals (of the past and present) would be;
1. Queen Elizabeth I
2. King Edward III
3. Anne Boleyn (don't know if she can't be counted as a Royal, she was only a Queen Consort).
4. King Edward III
5. Queen Victoria
6. Queen Elizabeth of York (wife of King Henry VII)
1. Queen Elizabeth II
2. Prince Charles (possibly my most favorite Royal of our days)
3. Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall
4. Princess Diana of Wales
5. Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
6. Prince William of Wales
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 12-03-2005, 12:37 PM
Aristocracy

Her Majesty The Queen Elizabeth II