Family Resemblances

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: HereditaryPrincess, The old portrait is a magnificent picture of Astrid of Belgium.

Are the Norwegian and Dutch RF’s related?

In Sverre Magnus birthday pictures I see some facial resemblance with Beatrix, Willem-Alexander and Amalia.

In Sverre Magnus birthday pictures I see some facial resemblance with Beatrix, Willem-Alexander and Amalia.

They are much closer related to Belgian, Luxembourgian, Danish and Swedish royal families. Nonetheless, there is a connection to the Dutch royals through Harald's great-grandmother who was the daughter of a Dutch princess. King Willem I and his wife Wilhelmine of Prussia are their shared ancestors through this line.

Sverre Magnus - Haakon - Harald V - Olav V/Märtha of Sweden - Haakon VII/Ingeborg of Denmark - Louise of Sweden (queen of Denmark) - Louise of the Netherlands (queen of Sweden and Norway) - Frederick of the Netherlands - Willem I (king of the Netherlands) (9 generations)
Amalia - Willem-Alexander - Beatrix - Juliana - Wilhelmina - Willem III - Willem II - Willem I (8 generations)

In addition, their is the line through one of Harald's other great-grandmothers: princess Sophia of Nassau; with Wilhelm, Duke of Nassau and his wife Pauline of Württemberg as shared ancestors. On the Norwegian side there are fewer generations but on the Dutch side the number of generations is the same.

Sverre Magnus - Haakon - Harald V - Märtha of Sweden - Carl of Sweden - Sophia of Nassau (queen of Sweden and Norway) - Wilhelm, Duke of Nassau & Pauline of Württemberg (7 generations)

Amalia - Willem-Alexander - Beatrix - Juliana - Wilhelmina - Emma of Waldeck-Pyrmont (queen consort/regent of the Netherlands) - Helena of Nassau - Wilhelm, Duke of Nassau & Pauline of Württemberg (8 generations)

Last edited:

If it's the 'roundness' in the face that seems familiar, that it's not from a family relation afaik; the distinctive 'chubby cheeks' several of the Dutch RF have in the more recent generations is imo inherited from Q.Emma (Emma von Waldeck-Pyrmont), the wife of K.Willem III (great-grandmother of former Q.Beatrix)

14-koningin-emma.jpg

Last edited:

I've always thought Prince Magnus looks like Olav V.

Last edited:
Charles also closely resembles his paternal grandfather Andrew. IMO.

William and Harry do they look like Prince Charlies

I have always felt it was unfair that Harry was said in the tabloids not to resemble Charles, when Harry's nose and facial structure, strongly resemble him. And William was never given the same scrutiny. William looks nothing like Charles and has never been one peep made about this total lack of resemblance. I know there was some gossip about a Hewitt who it was long established Diana met him when Harry was 2 years old. Plus I am certain that Charles and the royal family has had extensive DNA testing. The are all multi billionaires who would have any medical service they desired. Anyway I feel that Harry has Charles nose almost to math proportions. Like you could take a caliper on Charles nose and put it on Harry's nose and come up with the same nose. Meanwhile William who little resembles Charles has had no flack by the press. Anyway I think Harry looks more like Charlies than William. Although it is harder to see because Harry is so fair and red headed.

Extra thought. I think Princess Charlotte almost looks like a Minnie me Elizabeth.

I never saw a resemblance of Charlotte and Elizabeth never mind being a mini me. I hope she gets all the best features of her other relatives, the Middleton and Spencers at al. I see a lot of the Middleton features in her rather than Windsors. ANd above all she needs to be herself in looks and personality.

Harry looks a lot like his paternal grandfather. Diana actually had reddish hair until she had it lightened and her sister Sarah's children resemble Harry a lot.

I have a painting degree and love drawing portraits. I am no genius or anything. I noticed the strong resemblance between Charlotte and Elizabeth when she took photos with all the babies and small children gathered together. The straight hair of Charlotte disguises the strong resemblance. You can tell Elizabeth sees it whenever she sees Charlotte by the look on her face.

Elizabeth has different facial features. I never saw a resemblance whatsoever. It is better for Charlotte in the long run if she does not closely resemble the Queen. She has beautiful Middleton Features which I see. I don't think HM necessarily sees a resemblance either. She is only one ancestor and I think CHarlotte's other beautiful ancestors are also seen.

I dont see any Middleton features in her (apart from the straight hair maybe), but a lot of HM, especially in mimics and looks. The eyes are the same, sometimes their mouth. It could especially well be seen on the picture with all the greatgrandkids.
I think its a wonderful gift to resemble such a strong woman.
There is one picture of HM when she was about 16 -18 and every time when I see it I get a glimpse of an older Charlotte.

Photo of Elizabeth with children of the family

I agree that Charlotte looks like Elizabeth and I noticed it strongly in the portrait with all the small children of the family. If anyone has that photo to put up that would be great. I thought Charlotte had Elizabeth's eyes and lower face particularly. Not her hair or over all face but a strong play of features. And what made me think the family notices it is that how fondly her look was at Charlotte in the way someone unconsciously sees the resemblance.

It is possible for children to resemble all sides of their family, sometimes at the same time. I think Charlotte has looked a great deal like the Queen around her mouth. However more recently her own father has seen a picture of her and said "is that me? Is that Charlotte? Is that me?" And William used to strongly resemble his mother.

However Charlotte won't look anything like the iconic Diana (the one in people's minds) for years, if ever. She may never want to cut her hair. So it's a bit of a moot point.

I agree that Charlotte looks like Elizabeth and I noticed it strongly in the portrait with all the small children of the family. If anyone has that photo to put up that would be great. I thought Charlotte had Elizabeth's eyes and lower face particularly. Not her hair or over all face but a strong play of features. And what made me think the family notices it is that how fondly her look was at Charlotte in the way someone unconsciously sees the resemblance.

https://www.womansworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/queen-elizabeth-ii-with-grandkids.jpg

i think this is the one? i see the resemblance around the mouth, the folds from the nose to the cheeks..

William used to resemble his mother a lot, but, just today, I saw a picture of the young Prince Philip and thought, hey, William.

William used to resemble his mother a lot, but, just today, I saw a picture of the young Prince Philip and thought, hey, William.

Both his mother and his paternal grandfather being very tall and very blond(e) probably helped. :)

I think I know the picture that you mean (cricket whites) because I feel like it really is just that one picture, when there probably should be more. Harry got the Mountbatten eyes through Charles; William didn't.

I saw an old recording of Prince Edward today, and I thought he looked very like William in it. William used to be the image of Diana. Funny how these things seem to change over time.

It is uncanny, isn't it? I always thought Harry looked like the Spencers, but there's a very close resemblance there.

That is uncanny!!!! If anyone ever doubted that Harry is a Windsor through and through, that picture should debunk it!:lol:

I'd amend that to stating that Harry is a Mountbatten through and through. It's like looking at a carbon copy of Harry when he was a small lad. :D

A Glucksburg through and through, in fact :) !

I mean I am reasonably sure someone did not Photoshop a small Harry into a 19th century family picture.

Reasonably.

(And non-Photoshop-wise, Andrea apparently kept that sense of humor until life finally broke him, and he had terrible preemie eyes and the family ears come straight from him. He contributed more to the current royals than The Crown would have you think.)

Princess Alice apparently told a younger relative late in her life that she thought Andrew resembled a Greek god when they first met, so presumably his small blue eyes and his ears didn’t matter!

Back
Top Bottom