The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royal Chit Chat

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-28-2006, 03:54 PM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative – Spain

Sad? No, but like everything it has its pros and cons.. but personally I think being a royal must be the BEST!!

Old 09-28-2006, 04:32 PM
Aristocracy

I think, no matter how much we personally want to be in the lime light or even the outer ring of the center, every living person on this earth has one wish:
Not to be forgotten.
As a royal you have made it. You appear in the enzyclopedias, your voice will be heart, your actions watched.
You can always make a difference, each and every one of us can help make the world a better place and only because of our anonymous help indeed it will be better. However, for those royals the humanitarian work is part of the job description ever since Queen Mary of Britain.

Old 09-28-2006, 04:40 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
Couldn't agree more. These people have their cake, and eat it, too. I wish I'd be paid to be flying across the globe, hobnobbing with the most glamorous and famous and interesting of people, just because of my meaningless <title>, AND get reimbursed AND get paid a sum that even the President of the United States could only dream about!! These people have it made!!

Sad? If you mean that an inevitable companion of change is always some sort of nostalgia or wistfulness for what was..and for what never will be the same, then, sure. But sadness? Please. Let's not shed crocodile tears over these most privileged of all 6 billion humans walking around the planet today.

To put things in perspective:
Losing a child to illness, a crime or accident? That's sad.
Losing your job despite the fact you did all you could? That's sad.
Getting teased in school because you happen to not be like every other kid? That's sad.
Having difficulties to make ends meet despite the fact you are doing everything you can to make some good happen to you and your family? That's sad.

I mean, please. Just because royals pay PR professionals dearly to make US <believe> they have it so hard, doesn't necessarily make it so. This is one of my ultimate pet peeves with 'royals' today. The only thing these people are is descendants of bullies who won plots of land by, mostly, violence, centuries and centuries ago.

And still today, we are supposed to admire these descendants just because one of their forebears were war lords. Cause that's what royalty is, how it came about, make no mistake here. These people we call 'royals' are, to quote a famous business man, "members of the lucky sperm club.' And that's true, no more and no less. They are the lucky recipients of the worst kind of nepotism rules one can imagine in a modern world.

Sad? Their situation sad? Not for the life of them, it isn't. They are, for the most part--with a few exceptions, but again, only a FEW royals actually put in the effort to actually do something for their constituents-- ultra ultra lucky we mere mortals still bow for them and finance them sitting on their cushy thrones, that's what.
I get your point.
BUT how is your point on being a royal? are you saying you want to be a royal, because of what you said above... or are you saying you would not want to be one?
Well and don't compare 'sad' with really absolute heartbreaking 'sad'. You have different kinds of 'sad'.
I don't think I would be a royal, although you made a point on what I agree... You have it al, being a royal.. I might want that..
But no, you loose all your freedom, and everyone follows every step of you, and you have to be always nice and smile, and pretent like you are always interested in everyone and every occasion, from flowers to fashion, from ill children to horses.
Well I would say no. I want to be in control of my life, of my freedom, of my privacy. And I think it is kind of 'sad' loosing all of your privacy, freedom, control, etc.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:34 AM
Royal Highness

The only sad thing about being royal is when someone changes once he is royal!
Old 09-29-2006, 06:41 AM
Royal Highness

I think it's sad to be a royal (a born-royal, who didn't choose it) when you want one only thing: to have your own without all the royal obligations. Prince Friso, for example, was obviously sad to be born a royal, and he chose to live like a commoner. He seems now very happy. A royal-born is not forced to like his royal life, he may find his life would have been better if he was born Mr X, no matter he has money and privileges.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:34 AM
Commoner

My heart bleeds for them.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:55 AM
Commoner

Absolutelly not sad!! Mostly it's their responsibility to keep up with historical tradition and live very upscale life.......why shoud they be sad?
Old 10-29-2006, 07:58 AM
Courtier

I don't think sad , perhaps a little lonely.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Sad...I dont know. Frustrated absolutely. You're future is decided for you; your career path is non existent (you'd better be great at your career because the criticisms will be incredibly loud). Your looks are picked apart (especially for the ladies) in the most cruel way. Any mistakes are magnified as used as character assassination (sp?). This can lead to despair, nihilism and feeling trapped in a giled cage.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:22 PM
Gentry

In my opinion I think it is different if you are a royal born person from being a royal by marriage.

Being a royal born person it could be incredibly sad and lonely. From the moment you are born your life has been decided, mostly if you are heir to a throne. You are going to have to behave in a certain way, act in a certain way. Your studies have been decided and you might find that the person you love is "unsuitable" in your situation and you cannot marry her or him. It is kind of immoral to have decided so much of the life of person from the moment they are born, and considering that you are supposed to perform your functions in a very changeable environment right now to the best standards, could be a very difficult life with unknown difficulties to the majority of mortals like me.

Being a royal means a permanent exposure to the public, and a permanent lack of privacy, that can be very difficult to deal with. Trying to get out of that kind of life, is only something you are not going to be able up to the moment you are an adult, and by then surely everyone knows you and your life and every detail of your life has been recorded and analyzed in every possible way. How could you consider to get out of that in those circumstances? It is major change of life that only in very specific circumstances people will dare to do.

On the other hand, you can consider the situation of people that have become royal by marriage in which case you are either madly in love or you are attracted by the layer of magic and luxury that seems to go around Royals.

I believe the situation is completely different for those two types of people, and find extremely sad the situation of some royals.

Definitely every group in society face different kind of problems.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:41 AM
Courtier

Personally i don't think it's sad to be a royal - perhaps more restricted but certainly not sad.

It's a totally different life and one that we're probably not be able to fully understand until we're living it.

But I think being a royal is a privilage prosition and one can do so much to bring attention to causes happening around the world, lend weight to help the less fortunate

It's all a matter of how you want to look at situation.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:25 AM
Nobility

Sometimes it's annoying with all these paparazzis hunting them but i can't say sad.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:01 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrjam
I get your point.
BUT how is your point on being a royal? are you saying you want to be a royal, because of what you said above... or are you saying you would not want to be one?
Well and don't compare 'sad' with really absolute heartbreaking 'sad'. You have different kinds of 'sad'.
I don't think I would be a royal, although you made a point on what I agree... You have it al, being a royal.. I might want that..
But no, you loose all your freedom, and everyone follows every step of you, and you have to be always nice and smile, and pretent like you are always interested in everyone and every occasion, from flowers to fashion, from ill children to horses.
Well I would say no. I want to be in control of my life, of my freedom, of my privacy. And I think it is kind of 'sad' loosing all of your privacy, freedom, control, etc.
Fair question! Would I want to be a royal...Well, not if I look at for example the life of a monarch, such as Beatrix. That must be incredibly hard. But then, if you look at for example a lesser royal like Swedish princess Madeleine, that's a life that is a bit better..no responsibilities (a stint at Unicef here or there, but no one knows what the girl really did there let alone accomplished) and you get to go on vacation an tan yourself orange!

Still, I'd hate to live in a fish-bowl, as they say. I'm with you on that losing privacy can't be easy.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

A person who is sad and lonely as a royal likely to be a sad and lonely person else where too. Royalty is an extremely privileged position with lots of perks, off course it requires a certain degree of sacrifice. But if any royals who don't wish to be royals anymore can walk away, so far we haven't seen any except King Edward of GB. Thus I think the perks still out weights the so called sacrifice.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:39 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaK
A person who is sad and lonely as a royal likely to be a sad and lonely person else where too. Royalty is an extremely privileged position with lots of perks, off course it requires a certain degree of sacrifice. But if any royals who don't wish to be royals anymore can walk away, so far we haven't seen any except King Edward of GB. Thus I think the perks still out weights the so called sacrifice.
I agree - a sad and lonely person will be sad and lonely everywhere.
A normal person in the right mind is able to see in any changes sooner positives signs than negative. Royal being or becoming allow to fill the life not only with luxury, but, first of all, with many possibilities to live a full life - bright, meaningful and useful.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:36 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
Fair question! Would I want to be a royal...Well, not if I look at for example the life of a monarch, such as Beatrix. That must be incredibly hard. But then, if you look at for example a lesser royal like Swedish princess Madeleine, that's a life that is a bit better..no responsibilities (a stint at Unicef here or there, but no one knows what the girl really did there let alone accomplished) and you get to go on vacation an tan yourself orange!

Still, I'd hate to live in a fish-bowl, as they say. I'm with you on that losing privacy can't be easy.
I mostly agree with you in that it is completely different the life of a Royal that is going to be a King or a Queen and someone like Madelenie that is going to have plenty of opportunities and not by far the same responsabilities.

I don't agree with the two previous messages that if you are sad and lonely you are going to be sad and lonely everywhere. Life and circunstances are sometimes going to make you sad and lonely and that has to do more with circunstances of life than with your personality.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:24 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenngirl View Post
I think that Royals have it very easy. When you think about the "pressure" that they are under and compare it to someone in their age group, give me a break.

If you have a year old baby and you are both working, you have a very tight schedule. To get the baby to the sitters, then on to work, back to get the baby, etc. You go home at night and do laundry, clean house, cook supper, etc.

Now consider a Princess. She has a nanny for her child, she does not cook or clean, she probably doesn't even make her bed! She works maybe one week a month (if you add up her duties) and the rest, who knows what she is doing?

The only person who really had a reason to gripe was Diana. Her fame was so huge that in the end, I think we can say it destroyed her. Her fame was something that we will likely never see again. I only brought her up to illustrate my point.

Speaking of Fame and Diana, I was disgusted when I bought the new People magazine about the Royals. It barely covered the new Princesses (which I was hoping to find pictures of) and was pretty much devoted to Britian and Monaco. So these new Princesses should not be concerned about losing their privacy worldwide. Its amazing that a dead Princess is still more popular than them!

So I said all that to say that I think they have nothing to complain about and if they do, they should be forced to leave the Palace for a week and live like the real world.

By the way, Thomas, I loved your post. It was hilarious and gave me a good laugh. Thanks so much for it!
I met a queen once and my vision of Royal's daily life has changed since then and is more realistic. Of course, Royals have huge financial and material privileges. But attending cocktails protected by dozens of bodyguards on a yacht can be part of a Royal's obligations and can revele being, in fact... deadly boring

Seing the pleasure of this queen taking care of a little girl and of my own relatives, chatting with us but also sitting all alone on her bench sometimes looking sad and "away", changed my vision of Royalty. This wonderful woman seemed to me like a "bird in a golden cage". How few freedom you have when you are a Royal, how careful you must be in every word you say, how lonely you are, in fact, not being able to make friends freely (who can you trust ?)... How difficult to be exposed to critics every day. And so many other situations we do not even think of.

Well this woman has worn the most beautiful jewels you can imagine, she has had the greatest priviledges, and she seemed just so happy having a fresh conversation with "commoners" and specially enjoying kids spontaneity and not wearing jewels. See... hapiness is not always in material things and I think we often have a very wrong vision of Royalty.

So yes, I would agree : it is quite sad to be a Royal. It means so many moral responsibilities and altruism that I am happy Royals can enjoy some "material compensations"
Old 01-07-2008, 11:15 AM
Commoner

I think a lot of how sad or happy a member of the royal family feels about one's position depends on attitude towards the "job".

It reminds me of the tale of two workmen digging a hole in the road. One was alway moaning about how boring it was, how cold it was, people looking down at him. The other was always cheerful, he loved the exercise and the outdoors, enjoyed the banter with colleagues, of course digging the hole appears to be the same but the scenery always different.

This could apply to any job, even being a king or queen. There would be the moaner, fed up with being dressed up "like a tailor's dummy", annoyed at the photographers, and having a general "not another bl**dy tree to plant today" attitude. On the other hand there could be the cheerful royal who enjoy travelling, meeting high society, and talking with ordinary people from all walks of life on a walkabout not knowing whom one would meet and what they would say.

Of course there are pros and cons of being royal (I confess that I am a mere commoner), but I would admire the privilege and luxury of such a position. All I can say I hope that it is the kind of lifestyle that brings "job satisfaction".
Old 01-07-2008, 12:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Well I dont know about sad but I remember a reporter who covered the BRF for year said that it is not all that much fun being a royal. "They are frustrated people" he said. And I think he's probably right, particularly for the British Royal Family, you every move since birth is monitored and scrutinized and you are criticized quite roundly for every move you make good or bad.
None of them can really do things that they'd love. Look at Prince Harry and his desire to have a military career. He so wanted to be like other soldiers and experience the front like his peers. To have is dream altered for what are very real security reasons, is unfortunate.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaK View Post
I agree with you.