The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royal Chit Chat

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-16-2007, 06:11 AM
Gentry

Do your kids play "Queen", "Princess", "King" or "Prince"?

A few days ago, my 4 y.o. son declared me that he wants to become a...

KING !

uhhhh...

I don't wish him...

Old 11-22-2007, 07:10 AM

When i was younger we used to play coronations at school, most amusing!

God Save The Queen!

Old 11-22-2007, 11:29 AM
Courtier

When I was younger my sister, my grandmother and I played it, too Queens and Princesses. We asked her: "What is a good royal name for a princess?" She said : "Uhmm... Katherina and Beatrix!" So I always ended up as princess Beatrix!
Old 11-22-2007, 12:02 PM
Aristocracy

I played very often "princess". Mostly together with a good friend. It was cold because I always wore my favorite summer dress (very pretty).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilytornado View Post
When I was younger my sister, my grandmother and I played it, too Queens and Princesses. We asked her: "What is a good royal name for a princess?" She said : "Uhmm... Katherina and Beatrix!" So I always ended up as princess Beatrix!
My princess-name was Sarah or Anna-Lena, my favorite names in this time
Old 11-22-2007, 12:43 PM

I remember the day I told my mother I was a queen. Somehow I don't think it came a shock.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:02 PM
Serene Highness

I used to play I was a princess with my little sister. We would dress up in our mothers clothes (old ones she gave us to play with) and would wear her high healed shoes. Was a lot of fun! I was also a princess ones at carnaval, my grandmother made my dress and I still have it, I had a little crown and everything. It's still my favourite carnaval costume ever
Old 11-22-2007, 08:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
I remember the day I told my mother I was a queen. Somehow I don't think it came a shock.

teehee, teehee Sam! My 5 year old daughter is completely obsessed with Queens and Princesses. I cant imagine where she gets that from!

She was Queen Elizabeth I for Hallowe'en this year...long magnificent paneered gown with ruff, red wig and pearl crown. Mommy spent a long month 'beading' pearls onto the ruff and gown. I wish I knew how to post a picture, she was a sight.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:33 AM
Aristocracy

Does anybody knows a boy who plays "prince"? I just wonder . . .
Old 11-25-2007, 07:29 PM
Royal Highness

Well, I don't have kids -yet- but when I was younger, I loved pretending that I was the Queen of England. My middle name, which I go by, isn't royal at all, so I said I was Queen Anne (my first name). I was so little, that I didn't realize that there had really been a Queen Anne of England! Sometimes I would make my little brother (older brother wouldn't do it- to girly for him!) play with me too, as my servant, or when he was really young, as my baby. I thought of the poor thing as more of a doll than a human being I'm afraid!

I was an unusual child, my nephew is three- about the age where I started playing- and all he cares to do is play "trucks" and watch cartoons. Goodness, I must have been very unusual, because I bet he doesn't know that England is a country or that it has a Queen! He does know what princesses are, and he doesn't like them. He takes after his father- they're just for girls! (and for all the male royal fans, it's NOT just for girls!)
Old 11-26-2007, 07:07 AM
Aristocracy

I don't have children of my own yet but I do a lot of babysitting. One of the families where I go on a regular basis they have three girls (8, 6 and 4 years old). They play princesses all the time and they like it that I play along with them. They know I'm very interested in the real princesses so every time I come they ask me about them and I look with them on the internet at pictures of Princesses. I also teach them princess things like curteseying and how to walk like a princess and dance. They love it. Ecxpecially the second girl. Her name is Marie and she loves Princess Mary of Denmark because she has the same name. It is just lovely to see them playing in there pink disney dresses. And It's always a pity when they have to go to bed.
One time the oldest girl said to me that she wanted to become a real princess when she grew up. The second girl (then only 4 years old) replied: "You can only be a princess when you father is a prince or a king". Tho oldest girl started to crie. I was so happy that I could say that she could still become a princess if she married a prince. She said to me: then I will marry a prince. I just thought it was so cute.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:12 AM
Gentry

What I find interesting...

... when I watch children playing "Queen" "Princess" "King" or "Prince" is to see their values :

Girls usually are representing beauty, glamour, fights for being the most beautiful, the one chosen by the King...

If only they knew that being a Queen is many other things and not only glamour, but also responsibility, dignity, courage, diplomacy, patience, altruism...

This I rarely see in their games. Maybe because the medias often represent Royal only on their glamourous side ?

Boys tend to represent courage, power, discipline, being the strongest. But responsiblity, dignity, diplomacy, patience and altruism are also king's values...

So it seems to me that boys are closer to Royal realities while playing. Don't you think so ?
Old 12-05-2007, 11:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

my 6 year old daughter , already told me at 4 that when she grows up she will be a princess, and today at 6 she still saying the same! she has everything princess , and everythingpink and purple! but like farajoy said they do not have any idea what really means to be a princess!
Old 12-06-2007, 01:58 PM
Courtier

I think my daughter who is almost 9 now, was born with a tiara on top of her head! She truely believes that she is a princess.
When she was old enough, she started wearing all the Disney princess dresses complete with the tiaras, wands, and high heels. That lasted until she was 6. Then she moved on to regular dresses, but still wearing her tiaras and my high heels.
This year for Halloween, she moved up a notch to Queen. And boy, let me tell you, she ruled the school in that costume.
I'm sure it does not help that every place my boss goes on vacation, he brings her back a tiara or a crown. So far she has one from Harrods in London, one from Turkey, and one from Thailand.
When she got the one from Turkey, she wore it to school for about a week and told everyone that they could not touch her because she was a turkey princess!!!
Old 01-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Gentry

when i was in middle school, we had this project where we had to make up our own country and make a huge book of it. had created the monarchy of baroque lol...king maxamillien and queen alexandra and they had 4 kids crown princess alexandrina-victoria (wonder where i got that name from lol) and princes maxamillien, nathaniel, frederick and sebastian. i had made clothes for my barbie dolls and had took my grandothers diamond rings and used those as tiaras. i had wedding pictures, coronation pictures, family pictures lol...i swear i had fun with it. i even had a family tree going to the early 1800's lol...i got an A on that project. ever since then i have woren a tiara for every occasion i thought fit...i had two for my sweet sixteen, one for each prom and when me and my fiance get married i am having a tiara made to look like one of grandduchess elizabeth of russia's tiaras. its a royal theme wedding lol
Old 04-17-2008, 01:52 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by coco View Post
Does anybody knows a boy who plays "prince"? I just wonder . . .
haha yes my brother used to play he was a prince. My sister and I would be princesses attacked by an evil pirate (also played by my brother), but then the prince would come to our rescue (same brother again) Quite a lot of fun it was, haha
Old 04-17-2008, 02:08 PM
Moderator Emeritus

I don't have children yet, but when I was a little girl I always played Princess.
I remember me and my cousin were always playing "Sissi". We had a dress-up-box with old clothes of our mothers in it. We used to dress up as Sissi and Nene. Sometimes I wish to be a young girl again.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:09 PM
Aristocracy

Wink Too old for dress-up and pretend? Never!

My mother remembers waiting on the front porch for her Prince Charming to ride up on a white horse. I think I get this honestly! The Lesley Anne Warren "Cinderella" was an annual tv show here in the US in the late 60s and every year for a few days we would all pretend to be Cinderella and sing all the songs on the playground. Disney is keeping the hope alive here fairly well with fantasy films and plenty of dress up items. My niece has a great dress up box that my sister and I made for her. It's a mix of custom sewn items and Halloween/dance clearance items and as she outgrows items they get handed down to other cousins who also love to play dress-up. Of course they have no idea that there are real princesses who have duties but it's still fun to live the fantasy while possible. I'm not beyond pulling out a pageant crown and parading around at Halloween with all that sparkle. One day I'll probably do QEII in an Opening of Parliament gown but that's a little too ambitious of a project for now.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:12 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her_Majesty View Post
I don't have children yet, but when I was a little girl I always played Princess.
I remember me and my cousin were always playing "Sissi". We had a dress-up-box with old clothes of our mothers in it. We used to dress up as Sissi and Nene. Sometimes I wish to be a young girl again.
We did the same, and I would LOVE being Sissi....! My mother had some gorgeous old Gowns, one a real satin Crinoline complete with hoop. It was at first rather too large, and I was swimming in yards of Satin! Ha! But when I was a teen it fitted perfectly, and I had my first "Royal Party" when I was 14.
For that night Mum even furnished me with a gorgeous cape with fur trim....
My darling Mum & Dad always called me Princess, and on the day of my wedding they said that I was now a Queen....... (mind you, to be honest, the wedding was another "Royal" dress up....!)

But why wish to be a young girl again?? I am into my 40's now, and together with other Royal fans and good friends that know about my Love of Royalty , we have Royal Party's once or twice a year. And, to be honest, I still enjoy it as much as that young girl did......
Actually, come to think of it, perhaps even more.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Aristocracy

Too old for dress-up and pretend? Never!

Quote: I'm not beyond pulling out a pageant crown and parading around at Halloween with all that sparkle. One day I'll probably do QEII in an Opening of Parliament gown but that's a little too ambitious of a project for now.

Good for you! Keep it up, and I hope we will all one day be able to see a picture of you in the QEII parliament Gown, complete with ermine Mantel of course!
Angelique

Old 11-15-2010, 08:15 AM
Commoner

In a recent interview with HRH Princess Margriet of the Netherlands, she said that her grandchildren play 'princess'. HRH expressed some surprise about this game, which one can imagine from a 'real' princess. Funny!!

I have had good experience and trial of this world. I know what it is to be a subject, what to be a sovereign, to have good neighbours, meet evil willers, found treason in trust and seen great benefits little regarded.
Elizabeth I