Do Your Kids Play At Being Royalty?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FarahJoy

Gentry
City
Somewhere
Country
Spain
A few days ago, my 4 y.o. son declared me that he wants to become a...

KING !

:wub:

:ermm: uhhhh...

I don't wish him...

:wacko:

When i was younger we used to play coronations at school, most amusing!

When I was younger my sister, my grandmother and I played it, too Queens and Princesses. We asked her: "What is a good royal name for a princess?" She said : "Uhmm... Katherina and Beatrix!" So I always ended up as princess Beatrix! ;)

I played very often "princess". Mostly together with a good friend. It was cold because I always wore my favorite summer dress (very pretty).

When I was younger my sister, my grandmother and I played it, too Queens and Princesses. We asked her: "What is a good royal name for a princess?" She said : "Uhmm... Katherina and Beatrix!" So I always ended up as princess Beatrix! ;)
My princess-name was Sarah or Anna-Lena, my favorite names in this time:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember the day I told my mother I was a queen. Somehow I don't think it came a shock.

I used to play I was a princess with my little sister. We would dress up in our mothers clothes (old ones she gave us to play with) and would wear her high healed shoes. Was a lot of fun! I was also a princess ones at carnaval, my grandmother made my dress and I still have it, I had a little crown and everything. It's still my favourite carnaval costume ever :lol:

I remember the day I told my mother I was a queen. Somehow I don't think it came a shock.

teehee, teehee Sam! My 5 year old daughter is completely obsessed with Queens and Princesses. I cant imagine where she gets that from!:lol:

She was Queen Elizabeth I for Hallowe'en this year...long magnificent paneered gown with ruff, red wig and pearl crown. Mommy spent a long month 'beading' pearls onto the ruff and gown. I wish I knew how to post a picture, she was a sight.

Does anybody knows a boy who plays "prince"? I just wonder . . .

Well, I don't have kids -yet- but when I was younger, I loved pretending that I was the Queen of England. My middle name, which I go by, isn't royal at all, so I said I was Queen Anne (my first name). I was so little, that I didn't realize that there had really been a Queen Anne of England! Sometimes I would make my little brother (older brother wouldn't do it- to girly for him!) play with me too, as my servant, or when he was really young, as my baby. I thought of the poor thing as more of a doll than a human being I'm afraid!

I was an unusual child, my nephew is three- about the age where I started playing- and all he cares to do is play "trucks" and watch cartoons. Goodness, I must have been very unusual, because I bet he doesn't know that England is a country or that it has a Queen! He does know what princesses are, and he doesn't like them. He takes after his father- they're just for girls! (and for all the male royal fans, it's NOT just for girls!)

I don't have children of my own yet but I do a lot of babysitting. One of the families where I go on a regular basis they have three girls (8, 6 and 4 years old). They play princesses all the time and they like it that I play along with them. They know I'm very interested in the real princesses so every time I come they ask me about them and I look with them on the internet at pictures of Princesses. I also teach them princess things like curteseying and how to walk like a princess and dance. They love it. Ecxpecially the second girl. Her name is Marie and she loves Princess Mary of Denmark because she has the same name. It is just lovely to see them playing in there pink disney dresses. And It's always a pity when they have to go to bed.
One time the oldest girl said to me that she wanted to become a real princess when she grew up. The second girl (then only 4 years old) replied: "You can only be a princess when you father is a prince or a king". Tho oldest girl started to crie. I was so happy that I could say that she could still become a princess if she married a prince. She said to me: then I will marry a prince. I just thought it was so cute.

What I find interesting...

... when I watch children playing "Queen" "Princess" "King" or "Prince" is to see their values :

Girls usually are representing beauty, glamour, fights for being the most beautiful, the one chosen by the King...

If only they knew that being a Queen is many other things and not only glamour, but also responsibility, dignity, courage, diplomacy, patience, altruism... :queen4:

This I rarely see in their games. Maybe because the medias often represent Royal only on their glamourous side ?

Boys tend to represent courage, power, discipline, being the strongest. But responsiblity, dignity, diplomacy, patience and altruism are also king's values... :king3:

So it seems to me that boys are closer to Royal realities while playing. Don't you think so ?

Last edited:
my 6 year old daughter , already told me at 4 that when she grows up she will be a princess, and today at 6 she still saying the same! she has everything princess , and everythingpink and purple! but like farajoy said they do not have any idea what really means to be a princess!

I think my daughter who is almost 9 now, was born with a tiara on top of her head! She truely believes that she is a princess.
When she was old enough, she started wearing all the Disney princess dresses complete with the tiaras, wands, and high heels. That lasted until she was 6. Then she moved on to regular dresses, but still wearing her tiaras and my high heels.
This year for Halloween, she moved up a notch to Queen. And boy, let me tell you, she ruled the school in that costume.
I'm sure it does not help that every place my boss goes on vacation, he brings her back a tiara or a crown. So far she has one from Harrods in London, one from Turkey, and one from Thailand.
When she got the one from Turkey, she wore it to school for about a week and told everyone that they could not touch her because she was a turkey princess!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

when i was in middle school, we had this project where we had to make up our own country and make a huge book of it. had created the monarchy of baroque lol...king maxamillien and queen alexandra and they had 4 kids crown princess alexandrina-victoria (wonder where i got that name from lol) and princes maxamillien, nathaniel, frederick and sebastian. i had made clothes for my barbie dolls and had took my grandothers diamond rings and used those as tiaras. i had wedding pictures, coronation pictures, family pictures lol...i swear i had fun with it. i even had a family tree going to the early 1800's lol...i got an A on that project. ever since then i have woren a tiara for every occasion i thought fit...i had two for my sweet sixteen, one for each prom and when me and my fiance get married i am having a tiara made to look like one of grandduchess elizabeth of russia's tiaras. its a royal theme wedding lol

Does anybody knows a boy who plays "prince"? I just wonder . . .

haha yes my brother used to play he was a prince. My sister and I would be princesses attacked by an evil pirate (also played by my brother), but then the prince would come to our rescue (same brother again) :lol: Quite a lot of fun it was, haha

I don't have children yet, but when I was a little girl I always played Princess.
I remember me and my cousin were always playing "Sissi". We had a dress-up-box with old clothes of our mothers in it. We used to dress up as Sissi and Nene. Sometimes I wish to be a young girl again. :lol:

Too old for dress-up and pretend? Never!

My mother remembers waiting on the front porch for her Prince Charming to ride up on a white horse. I think I get this honestly! The Lesley Anne Warren "Cinderella" was an annual tv show here in the US in the late 60s and every year for a few days we would all pretend to be Cinderella and sing all the songs on the playground. Disney is keeping the hope alive here fairly well with fantasy films and plenty of dress up items. My niece has a great dress up box that my sister and I made for her. It's a mix of custom sewn items and Halloween/dance clearance items and as she outgrows items they get handed down to other cousins who also love to play dress-up. Of course they have no idea that there are real princesses who have duties but it's still fun to live the fantasy while possible. I'm not beyond pulling out a pageant crown and parading around at Halloween with all that sparkle. One day I'll probably do QEII in an Opening of Parliament gown but that's a little too ambitious of a project for now.

I don't have children yet, but when I was a little girl I always played Princess.
I remember me and my cousin were always playing "Sissi". We had a dress-up-box with old clothes of our mothers in it. We used to dress up as Sissi and Nene. Sometimes I wish to be a young girl again. :lol:

We did the same, and I would LOVE being Sissi....! My mother had some gorgeous old Gowns, one a real satin Crinoline complete with hoop. It was at first rather too large, and I was swimming in yards of Satin! Ha! But when I was a teen it fitted perfectly, and I had my first "Royal Party" when I was 14.
For that night Mum even furnished me with a gorgeous cape with fur trim....
My darling Mum & Dad always called me Princess, and on the day of my wedding they said that I was now a Queen....... (mind you, to be honest, the wedding was another "Royal" dress up....!)

But why wish to be a young girl again?? I am into my 40's now, and together with other Royal fans and good friends that know about my Love of Royalty , we have Royal Party's once or twice a year. And, to be honest, I still enjoy it as much as that young girl did......
Actually, come to think of it, perhaps even more. :angel:

Too old for dress-up and pretend? Never!

Quote: I'm not beyond pulling out a pageant crown and parading around at Halloween with all that sparkle. One day I'll probably do QEII in an Opening of Parliament gown but that's a little too ambitious of a project for now.

Good for you! Keep it up, and I hope we will all one day be able to see a picture of you in the QEII parliament Gown, complete with ermine Mantel of course! :rolleyes:
Angelique :flowers:

Last edited:
In a recent interview with HRH Princess Margriet of the Netherlands, she said that her grandchildren play 'princess'. HRH expressed some surprise about this game, which one can imagine from a 'real' princess. Funny!!

When I was in middle school that time my school organizes fancy dress competition. Than I play this game. I really enjoy that day.

I do not have kids, but some of my best memories of childhood are playing Princess, another game I called " Royal Wedding" where I would pretend to be Diana or Fergie on their wedding day,because Mom let me watch VCR recordings of thier weddings( which both took place before I was born)
I was actually jealous of them- I thought they were getting a Cinderella fairy tale- ironic if only I knew.:rolleyes::ermm:
And by far my favorite thing to be for Halloween : a Princess

When my brother was 3 he told my mom that dad was the king and he was the prince. When my mom asked him what she was, he told her that she was the maid! He still to this day, over 20 years later, has not lived that down.

When I was a little girl, I told my mother that I wanted to be a princess and live in a castle where everyone would take of me. I would have someone else clean my castle and cook my meals. Someone else would fix my hair. Someone else would clean up after any kids I had.

I remember playing with some friends pretending to be a Princess when I was a child. I demanded that they do everything for me. They were worn out after a while as they cleaned my room, my kitchen. I sat there painting my nails and sitting back and enjoying myself. When my friend was the Princess, I did nothing for her and tried to get out of doing anything or if I had to do something did it so badly that I never would be asked again to do that particular task. I got away with this role playing but did not get away with this when I had to do chores around the house.

Last edited:
@ Lady Claire- that is so cute! Out of the mouths of babes do come some interesting ideas!
@ Nascarlucy- Your friends deserve a royal medal! Too bad you still had to do chores...

I was always a princess for Hallowe'en, and I dreamed sometimes of being a princess. I memorized and sang along with my Cinderella record when I was little. I had it bad!;)

And by far my favorite thing to be for Halloween : a Princess

I used to play being the "King" all the time as a child. No one was ever willing to be bossed around.

When my brother was 3 he told my mom that dad was the king and he was the prince. When my mom asked him what she was, he told her that she was the maid! He still to this day, over 20 years later, has not lived that down.

LOL!!!Too funny!Poor mom.:p

I was told when I was a teen that I should have been a princess as I liked to be pampered and taken care of. I still do although I take care of myself now.

I was told that I never would be a good Queen because I was too opinioned and if I felt passionate about someone or something would often go on and on. I not very good at hiding my emotions (my facial expressions says it all), even though I don't usually openly react to things but you know exactly what I'm thinking by looking at me.
No King or heir to the throne would put up with such a woman I was told. Henry VIII would banish me to the tower and leave me there. Others would send me packing, never to return. I got a good laugh out of this when people said this to me.

When my younger sister and I were kids, we would play Queen with my older sister. My younger sister and I would give ourselves weird names and hide in closets until the Queen called us out. After that, we'd have to do her bidding, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom