The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Who is the "Best" Royal of 2005?
Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands 16 8.00%
King Juan Carlos of Spain 15 7.50%
Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden 27 13.50%
Camilla, The Duchess of Cornwall 39 19.50%
Queen Rania of Jordan 32 16.00%
Princess Alexandra of Denmark 18 9.00%
Prince Albert of Monaco 9 4.50%
Prince Charles of Wales 7 3.50%
Princess Mary of Denmark 40 20.00%
Other, please specify in post 22 11.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 06:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Camilla has been selected as The Most Fascinating Person of 2005. Lets add to her honors and make her the Royal of 2005. She has close competition with Mary who is 2 points ahead of her and Rania who is 2 points behind her.

Old 11-30-2005, 06:34 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejonnhy25
Camilla has been selected as The Most Fascinating Person of 2005. Lets add to her honors and make her the Royal of 2005. She has close competition with Mary who is 2 points ahead of her and Rania who is 2 points behind her.
Fascinating doesn't necessarily mean 'best'. :)

Old 11-30-2005, 06:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

I know that. Fascinating doesnt even mean good. You could be evil and fascinating. I was saying to add to her honors and make her Royal of 2005.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:24 PM
Serene Highness

I think The Duchess of Cornwall has really proved her critics wrong this year!
Also King Juan Carlos...30 years as King. He has done so much for Spain!
Old 12-03-2005, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Crown Prince Felipe & Crown Princess Letizia of Spain - who has been extremly busy with royal duties but did all of them with pleasure, gracefulness, and sincerity. at the end of the year, they managed to give us a great pleasure by presenting la Infanta Leonor (who is very very adorable, cute, and beautiful)
I agree, but Princess Alexandra of Denmark is one the best royals of 2005 too.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonatanka
I agree, but Princess Alexandra of Denmark is one the best royals of 2005 too.
Yes, jonatanka. :) :)

i also wrote about Princess Alexandra
i agree on Princess Alexandra of Denmark - she has proven us divorce is not something to be sorry about, but it become a motivator for her to keep going on with her royal events, and even more busy toward the end of the year by doing humanitarian visits to South Africa, & Sri Langka, she also dazzles us in London (with that green dress), recently in Russia, and definetely on norwegian royal visit. moreover, she continue to be a really good mother to Nikolai & Felix. divorce never look good on anyone as with her, she looks younger and seems more fresh.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:25 PM
Courtier

My vote goes to Carl Gustaf for his support to the Swedish people during the time of the tsunami tragedy. He gave support from the start (which I know was in the end of 2004). In interviews and speeches he was very open and spoke of personal experiences, he was also there when the first victims returned to Sweden in caskets, and he went to South East Asia where it all happened. I admire and respect him for his support during this tragic time. Silvia and and in some parts also their children were also very supportive during this tragic time, so they share in the vote with Carl Gustaf.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil princess lost
I think Queen Rania of Jordan-her job demands a lot of her time, especially with the bombings that recently happened in the Middle East. She is a Queen of the people, she fufils her duties fantasitcally and is an awseome mother and wife. She is not just some figure head royal that is there to dazzle the paparazzi with a smile and chic fashion-although she does do that magnificantly, she is a comassionate, beautifull, modern and intelligent Queen. Her humanitarian efforts have been fantastic-she puts Angelina Jolie to shame-kidding
I agree completely. Its no secret QR is my favourite royal. My preference isn't simply based on her beauty, style, elegance etc.
Rania is, without a doubt, the most hardworking royal woman, more active than many royals (men or women), period.
Im sure the other queens/crown princesses do their best and represent their countries beautifully. But without meaning offence to any of them, I dont count smiling, waving, holding a bouqet, cutting ribbons, or showing up at an occasional charity event as hard work. Because of the nature of European monarchy, I understand that women like CPs Mary, Letizia and others are only expected to perform a symbolic role. But the fact still remains that they dont have to deal with half the issues that Queen Rania is confronted with. She has so much more on her plate, both as an Arab first lady and as the Queen of a developing nation in one of the most volatile regions in the world.

Looking at the pictures of QR consoling the victims and families of the terrorist attacks in Jordan and weeping herself; visiting the earthquake hit areas in northern Pakistan and bringing attention to that disaster through appeals to the international community and the PSA she made on behalf of UNICEF, I feel that none of what other royal women may have done this year compares to the work QR did and does.

Rania's position in life requires her to speak about herself as a Muslim, a woman, an Arab, and a Queen.
As much as people talk about her appearance, I feel that her real personality is revealed through the respect and admiration she has earned in the eyes of people and leaders from around the world.

In addition to the work she does at home, Rania represents many world bodies like the UNICEF, WEF, Young Global Leaders, Young Arab leaders, Osteofound, organizations that promote micro-entrepreneurship etc., i cant recall half of them because Im always discovering new organizations that she patronizes.

While the fact that Rania is not a mere figurehead like the European royals means that she has more responsibilities, it also means that she has more power at her disposal to change things for the better. And because she and King Abdullah have a marriage of equals in every sense of the word, a partnership, in their words, it means that she actually has a level of influence both at home and abroad that most royal women today dont have. I have only begun discovering that as I learn more about Rania's work (for example, she is behind the creation of Jordanian organizations like the Jordan River Foundation as well as international ones like the WEF's Young Global Leaders)

And on top of all that, she is a wonderful mother. Even her busy schedule is planned around her kids' activities, she plays with them, reads to them, cooks with them, drives them to school as often as possible, attends their school events like plays etc.

All in all, I think QR is the perfect combination of the modern and traditional. She is beautiful, fashionable, but also very hands-on, down-to-earth and compassionate. She looks equally at ease meeting world leaders and royals as she does meeting ordinary and the poorest of people.
My favourite picutures, however, are of her meeting children. I think children are great judges of character. No wonder there are many pictures of them embracing and kissing Rania, they are drawn to her just as they were to Princess Diana and vice versa.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:46 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamaria
I love Camilla, she has got spunk. And she is really funny too. And knows how to change a car tyre
LOL, now that's something new I learned today.:) I didn't know Camilla can change a car tyre. Not that I think she couldn't.

Back to the topic, what's the criteria for Best Royal?
Old 12-05-2005, 10:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Royal who represented their country the best. The Royal that really shined through in 2005. The royal who suprised others and did a magnificent job. The royal that was who did what royals do but with a little extra somethin.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:25 PM
Courtier

Queen Rania was really active in this year .
Old 12-05-2005, 07:17 PM
Courtier
Picture of the Month Representative - The Netherlands

Have to choose Máxima:
she is a real Princess, she works for the UN, travel around the world giving microcredits, has 2 lovely daughters..
Old 12-05-2005, 08:24 PM
Heir Apparent

This is the baby boom year, they are the best of 2005

Alexia Juliana Marcela Laurentien
Emmanuel Léopold Guillaume François Marie
Lilleprinsen
Infanta Leonor
Prince Sverre Magnus
Old 12-05-2005, 10:02 PM
Gentry

My vote goes to Queen Rania of Jordan for being the best royal out there today - for continuing her good work such as speaking out on the rights of women and (especially) children with such passion and imagination. She is a tour de force in the Middle East. For me as a westerner I believe we need partners like her in these troubled times to build bridges of understanding and create hope for a brand new generation of young Arabs. There is nothing more important than this!

TC
Love
Barbara
Old 12-13-2005, 12:59 AM
Heir Apparent

To me it's a tie between the Dutch and the Spanish Royal family, they do a lot of things together, they are always with their people when they need it (for example Felipe, Cristina and Elena headed the manifestations against terrorism in Madrid 11M, while in London the Queen barely gave an speech about it ), they are very supportive of several charities (look at the Dutch thread) and they give example as family, unlike the Grimaldi (shudder) whose lives are frankly WORSE than the tackiest soap opera, do you hear about scandals in those families? in the last 20 years or so? I don't think so...
Old 12-14-2005, 01:18 PM
Courtier

Queen Rania, Princess Alexandra of Denmark, Princess Maxima are on the top for best & busy royal, they work alot for charities even out of border of their country. I think they deserve to get a best royal title.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:00 AM
Heir Apparent

I think best Royals were
1. Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall
2. Queen Rania of Jordan
2. Princess Alexandra of Denmark
4. Queen Elizabeth II (the best, as usual)
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 12-26-2005, 04:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

I like Queen Rania a lot. She did so much this year. She has always been a shining example for women in the middle east. Still, I think Camilla has proved her worst critics wrong. Her ability to attract 2,000 people to sandringham this year has shown how far she has come. So many royal ladies did a lot this year to help out the people in need. I look forward to more suprises in 2006.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:12 AM
Courtier

Talking I voted for Charles

Yeah, I sided with Charles. He really does work hard traveling and supporting numerous charities.

I'm happy to see that Camilla has received a good number of votes. She seems to be trying very hard and I admire her for that. She's no Diana and she's not trying to be, and I think that shows. It seems that people are beginning to like her more and that makes me feel good.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:56 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil princess lost
Her humanitarian efforts have been fantastic-she puts Angelina Jolie to shame-kidding

Q Rania has done some great things in the field of humanitarian work, that is undoubtable. However, to say that this puts Angelina to shame is absurd, for one, its not a competition!

As ALL royals are supported by the state, it is their DUTY to give something back to those less fortunate. Those that should be commended most are those ordinary people who give their time, money and efforts. Although Angelina is not "ordinary" in that she is a great deal wealthier than most, she is not duty bound to carry out humanitarian work. There is no need for me to list her efforts here, as the list would be rather exhaustive, however it is extensive and has not been put to shame...

I know you said you were kidding, but its an issue that I take seriously, and I hope I haven't caused any offence to anyone. I wasn't attacking royals (in fact I think their great), I just wanted to make a point about humanitarian/charity work in general. That many people (not Angelina), but ordinary people and their hard work goes unrecognised.