The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Who is the "Best" Royal of 2005?
Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands 16 8.00%
King Juan Carlos of Spain 15 7.50%
Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden 27 13.50%
Camilla, The Duchess of Cornwall 39 19.50%
Queen Rania of Jordan 32 16.00%
Princess Alexandra of Denmark 18 9.00%
Prince Albert of Monaco 9 4.50%
Prince Charles of Wales 7 3.50%
Princess Mary of Denmark 40 20.00%
Other, please specify in post 22 11.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 05:48 PM
Aristocracy

For me , Princesses Mathilde and Maxima where the best royals of 2005.
First of all , the both got ( third and second) child , and they worked very hard and always looked great !

Old 11-21-2005, 06:44 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layla1971
It's a little of topic, but why do you consider W-A self-righteous?
I'm happy to elaborate on that one some other time and thread: forgive me but today, I don't feel like expressing criticisms about anyone or anything! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layla1971
And, yes, I forgot about Beatrix! She certainly has done a great job!:) But, she isn't completely scandal-free. There was an issue with her choosing Prince Claus for her husband, but that was smoothed over fairly quickly.
Well, first of all, that was in the late sixties: some decade and a half before her becoming queen! And anyway, as it turned out, that scandal had everything to do with the nationality of the person, no more, no less. Claus was German, and in the late sixties, the war was still fresh in the minds of the Dutch. But as they got to know Claus, he turned out to be the best of royal consorts: honest, with an incredibly intact moral compass. The Dutch ended up truly adoring him. Today, three years after his death, he is sorely missed.

Old 11-21-2005, 07:04 PM
Nobility

Acting Royal

Amomg the yonger generation Royals CP Victoria is highly esteemed. She know how to act as one can expect from a Royal. CP Mary also will become an asset to Denmark.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:44 PM
Courtier

Lightbulb

I'm generally very hesitant to use words like "best" because there's so much diversity among the royals, and so many are real assets to their respective countries. Still, I voted for Rania of Jordan because she spent a lot of time in 2005 involved in humanitarian projects while still maintaining her family life in Jordan. She's fantastic-looking, of course, but she also seems to be very much interested in global issues and wants to be actively involved in helping people. So I gave her my vote.:)
Old 11-21-2005, 09:44 PM
Aristocracy

Queen Latifah!
Old 11-22-2005, 05:47 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsnyder
Queen Latifah!
great Idea:) :p
Old 11-22-2005, 08:15 AM
Courtier

Alexandra is on my last place because she cheated on Joachim. That was not fair, and he got all the problems with the divorce because the media thought it was him that cheated on Alexandra.
I vote for King Harald too because he has been soo ill and still was very positive
Old 11-22-2005, 08:31 AM
Heir Apparent

I'd say Camilla, Alexandra and Rania, for all of the above reasons.

Camilla has shown over the past year that she can "stand by her man" and get what she wants. Moreover she's done so in a way that isn't tacky or cheap. I've never been her biggest fan and don't particularly like the way that these days people seem to want to gloss over the huge role she played in the break-up of Charles marriage and seem to want to make her out to be a saint. However, she's bided her time incredibly well and in getting the man she wants she hasn't been at all smug about it. In fact, she's been the exact opposite. It's taken alot of hard work and dedication on her part but she's finally winning people round. Good luck to her in 2006! Mayit be as happy a year as 2005.

Queen Rania has been incredibly busy over 2005, she's given birth to her 4th child and yet hasn't let that stand in the way of her Royal duties and obligations. She's taken part in the Arab Women's summit, Jordanian Economic Forum, the recent forum led by Bill Clinton and most importantly has included her children wherever possible. She's not afraid to take them with her on official duties whether it's a simple tree-planting ceremony in Amman or an official trip. Furthermore, she and the rest of the Jordanian Royal Family have dealt with the recent terrorist bombings in Amman incredibly well and have shown real solidarity with their citizens. Finally, on a personal note the fact that she and her husband both visited Pakistan soon after the earthquake is something I admire a great deal and something that meant a great deal to Pakistanis at home and abroad.

I've really admired the way Alexandra has handled the past year. Such a public divorce cannot have been simple but she's retained a dignified front and has shown that she is completely dedicated to Denmark by continuing with her Royal dutieis with such ease and grace. Furthermore it cannot have been easy for her with all the cosntant talk and press attention about the "love" between Fred and Mary when only a few years ago those sorts of articles were about her and Joachim.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by betina
Alexandra is on my last place because she cheated on Joachim. That was not fair, and he got all the problems with the divorce because the media thought it was him that cheated on Alexandra.
Was this proven? that Alexandria actually cheated on Joachim?

But my favourite royal this year was Princess Mary. She did so much work this year and despite her pregnancy, she outworked the entire Danish royal family in my opinion. A dutiful princess:)
Old 11-22-2005, 08:42 AM
Courtier

yes she has known Martin for a long time apperently
Old 11-22-2005, 10:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Knowing someone is not the same as having an affair with them, no matter what the tabloids may say.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne
Knowing someone is not the same as having an affair with them, no matter what the tabloids may say.
indeed. though its only to be expected that they would say that. everything will change once joachim gets a highprofile relationship.he might even remarry
Old 11-22-2005, 10:31 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I don't think that having an affair makes a person a bad royal, and it hasn't even been proven that she did so.

I think we must concentrate on the fact that Alexandra's dedication and loyalty to her country has never been in doubt, even if she did have an affair, many people do and it isn't necessarily an indication of a bad character or a bad princess and it doesn't mean that she didn't love Joachim, even during this alleged affair.

We must judge her on the amount and quality of duties representing Denmark. These things are never in doubt, even after her divorce.

But, I think this brings up the topic of what is public, what is private and what we should judge a person on, and that's for another thread entirely!

Old 11-22-2005, 10:36 AM
Courtier

I think my favorite Royal this year has to be Crown Princess Victoria. There was something about her that I can't really put my finger on. But I really liked seeing her a lot more this year. I'm not huge fan of the Swedish Royal Family, but this year I noticed her more. As the people of hello magazine said "She is effortlessly chic."
Old 11-22-2005, 10:41 AM
Aristocracy

Queen Rania

I think Queen Rania of Jordan-her job demands a lot of her time, especially with the bombings that recently happened in the Middle East. She is a Queen of the people, she fufils her duties fantasitcally and is an awseome mother and wife. She is not just some figure head royal that is there to dazzle the paparazzi with a smile and chic fashion-although she does do that magnificantly, she is a comassionate, beautifull, modern and intelligent Queen. Her humanitarian efforts have been fantastic-she puts Angelina Jolie to shame-kidding
Old 11-23-2005, 03:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

This poll will close on the last day of 05. So hurry up and get your voted and comments in. Currently, The Duchess of Cornwall and Princess Mary of Denmark are tied for first place. Queen Rania of Jordan is in second.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by acid_rain3075
I think my favorite Royal this year has to be Crown Princess Victoria. There was something about her that I can't really put my finger on. But I really liked seeing her a lot more this year. I'm not huge fan of the Swedish Royal Family, but this year I noticed her more. As the people of hello magazine said "She is effortlessly chic."
did you like her green mock turtle neck from the other day?
Old 11-23-2005, 04:26 PM
Courtier

Talking

Princess Alexandra of Denmark -
althought divorced...still keep going on with her royal events
- humanitarian visits to South Africa, Sri Langka
- with the danish girls radio choir in London in august...in Russia again recently....
- norwegian state visit in early november this year
- another visit at the end of novemebr to China again this year...

also a good mother to Nikolai and Felix
- holiday in Greece......

she still looks YOUNG and gorgeous!!!!!
Old 11-23-2005, 04:30 PM

It's got to be the Duchess of Cornwall. She's had to fight against so much ignorance and pre concieved ideas and she's come through it so well. She's just blossomed and I think she's fabulous. If anyone deserves the HRH - she does. She's amazing.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:28 PM
Aristocracy

I love Camilla, she has got spunk. And she is really funny too. And knows how to change a car tyre, which is more that I will ever learn...

-L